Advert on the side of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
John said:
Hopefully a sign of some impending coding and not abuse from Kyle's favorite meaning of OCP (Oversized Clam Punisher). :eek:

Ya the ad is annoying, I vote put it in the place of where the NewEgg banner was at the top.

soooooooooooo.......running low on funds site has to pimp out more sites?

i think ill stop surfing hardforums when theres another add banner, the main reason i browse here is cause there was just one, and it wasnt squeezeing my text

gay/lame but whatever, if it pays your bills by all means

soulsaver

I makes no difference to me....But be sure and click thru that baby and raise some revenue for the forum......Thats why its there after all..:)

It's not just a matter of appearance, post width is being affected, making things harder to read. I do not like this change at all... :(

Also, I don't want to step into the ad discussion too much, but how long has that been in there? I don't recall seeing that when I first registered, and I think it's a bit unfair to ban at will if it was added later. Just my 2-cents.

edit: just realized he may have been banned for something else not related to this thread. Nor do I know the process you guys go through, so temper my above comments with this.

edit2: I just realized it was moved to the right, which is causing the post width to change. Is this better???

Phoenix86 said:
It's not just a matter of appearance, post width is being affected, making things harder to read. I do not like this change at all... :(

Also, I don't want to step into the ad discussion too much, but how long has that been in there? I don't recall seeing that when I first registered, and I think it's a bit unfair to ban at will if it was added later. Just my 2-cents.
wasnt there last night as far as i can tell....and before then, this is a new banner

and QFT to your first sentence

soulsaver

Do they have any other ad's you could use instead..?

This one is ugly, I don't mind the thought of an ad its just its ugly.

soulsaver_8229 said:
wasnt there last night as far as i can tell....and before then, this is a new banner

and QFT to your first sentence

soulsaver
I refreshed the page less than an hour ago and it was there. It literally appeared in between reading different posts. I thought my eyes were broken at first. LOL

Phoenix86 said:

I know its not recent and the rules do change.. I remember when I registered way back that if you mentioned a certain company you'd be banned forEVER.. I dont see that there anymore but I'll play it safe on that one anyways...

now back to our regularly scheduled ad banner debate

I have to say that I find it very annoying. Makes the forum waaayy to crammed.

Went out for a bit, hit refresh and my first reaction was... :eek: ?!?!??! :confused:

How about those General Mayhem subscribers being able to have the option to turn it off?

It also appears to be pushing a lot of people over the 10 line signature limit.

(Put an add on the left side at the same time and the forum will be super compressed :( )

I feel sorry for the people that dont run at a high screen res. It would be kinda nice if we could pay a little extra to have some of the ads turned off.

(cf)Eclipse said:
it makes me want to puke. get rid of it now.

2nd'd. At least for us GenMay'ers. And move it to the bottom...the side is just silly. Also, aren't the forums hosted on Kyle's hardware on donated bandwidth from ThePlanet? I'm not seeing a need for the ads, and a bit confused as to why ThePlanet isn't advertised on the forums.

Full Folding Ahead!

i dont like the ad one bit. up top was fine, this one is noticeable and annoying plus it loads after everything so every page i click on the forums just does a shifty move.

what monarch wasnt happy getting a new mention AND ads on the non forums side?

This has become standard in the industry and will not be changed. I do however appreciate everyone's thoughts and do realize that NO change is ever accepted without some difficulties. We are doing some major expansion this year in terms of content and the forums that support our sites is going to be a part of making sure all the new editors get paid. I am sorry if this negatively impacts your hardforum experience.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/
http://forums.anandtech.com/
http://www.devhardware.com/forums/
http://www.hothardware.com/forum/
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/community/forums/
http://www.big-boards.com/
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/index.php

RiDDLeRThC said:
I feel sorry for the people that dont run at a high screen res.
I have 1024x768 LCD on my laptop, I have no other options...

I realize this is a tech site and all, we often run at higher resolutions, but I'm browsing with an IBM T-41, not an outdated POS.

Are the people testing looking at the site at 1024? I've lost ~20% of post width!

I for one prided myself with the Hardforums because it had no ads on the side, but I guess that's lost now. :(

I can understand the need to put ads in the forums, but putting it on the right seems a bit...off. Was it on the left before I came a few hours ago? Or put ads on both sides to make the actual forums centered; everything looks off.

Is there any chance of getting rid of it for those of us that have paid for this service? Or at least in just General Mayhem? Just a suggestion.

Why not post it under the "Forum Toolbar" horizontal like the Newegg one?

Kyle,

I'm all about keeping the site up, so if this decision is final, so be it.

What I'm seeing here isn't the same as other sites. I'll post some examples so it's easy to see what I'm talking about. Give me a sec to gather and edit the pics.

edit:

Obviously I added the blue line in the main post window for comparison.

hardocp.JPG

anandtech.JPG

devhardware.JPG

Note, none of these (just selected the a couple at random) have banners on the side of the post view.

Also note, the [H] post window is considerably smaller. The devhardware fills the screen, and anandtech's is only limited by the category list and the poster's bio.

Regards,

Eric.

PS, sorry for making this thread look like ass with the screen shots.

Kyle, can you look into setting up something to where users can pay a fee every month or every few months to not have banners on the sides and top? Im not sure how much i would be willing to pay but it would be nice to have that option.

can we at least get this removed from General Mayhem, as we pay to subscribe to it?

Are pics in sigs next...ads in the middle of threads....pop-ups...underlined word ads?

All "industry standards".

Your site though. So whatever.

my .02

i don't mind it .. they have a right to sell space .. good for them.. making some real cheader off that ad

my only grip is i wish they would limit it to non-flash .. my connection is slow and it really hurts my forum surfing speed and flow..

cheers,

mal

I bet Kyle is laughing all the way to the bank LOL!!!!

hehe.. like i said before.. i like it much better on the right than the left..

I hate it. the newegg ad was never intrusive, but this one fucks up the whole layout of the forum. I know its not going to change, once they make up their mind thats the way it is, damn the users. Luckily I am already a member of this forum; had i come here for the first time right now, I would not want to stick around with that god-awful ad right there.

I mean come on, lets at least get some google text ads. The monarch one is just hideus.

just my $0.02. im sure it wont matter.

As for the placement, it has actually been proved that placing ads on forums gives better revenue if placed AFTER THE LAST POST, meaning at the bottom, yes, i know that advertisers would like their ads "above fold", but that just doesnt work as good on forums as it does on "ordinary" pages.

When placing the ad below the last post on forums people see it better, they are done reading the thread and have now time to check out the ad, placing "above fold" on forums just annoys people, they clicked the thread because they wanna read it and not be disturbed by ads, placing below the posts yeilds much better revenue/exposure.

I have it myself on my own forums (not hardware related), when i switched from having the ads above fold to the bottom, the revenue increased dramatically, people actually started clicking the ads.

Reading on webmaster forums about ad placement, like on digitalpoint.com, other webmasters agree that on forums the ads should be below the posts, not above or at the side.

Why not just put it under the Newegg one?

P.S. I'm prob not going to be looking on Hardforum as much. Some people might be a little more diehard, but this is just to damn annoying for me.

MindBuster said:
As for the placement, it has actually been proved that placing ads on forums gives better revenue if placed AFTER THE LAST POST, meaning at the bottom, yes, i know that advertisers would like their ads "above fold", but that just doesnt work as good on forums as it does on "ordinary" pages.

When placing the ad below the last post on forums people see it better, they are done reading the thread and have now time to check out the ad, placing "above fold" on forums just annoys people, they clicked the thread because they wanna read it and not be disturbed by ads, placing below the posts yeilds much better revenue/exposure.

I have it myself on my own forums (not hardware related), when i switched from having the ads above fold to the bottom, the revenue increased dramatically, people actually started clicking the ads.

Reading on webmaster forums about ad placement, like on digitalpoint.com, other webmasters agree that on forums the ads should be below the posts, not above or at the side.
I'll have to say that this is an EXCELLENT point. Maybe you can have the Newegg and Monarch ads alternate with each load or once a day or something.

Look how much better this is once a large picture is posted, just like the good ol' days. Much better.

GilmourD said:
I'll have to say that this is an EXCELLENT point. Maybe you can have the Newegg and Monarch ads alternate with each load or once a day or something.
they wont do that. they want 2, not one at a time obviously. and im sure newegg will throw a fit too.

That said, i do think its an excelent idea.

HighwayAssassins said:
they wont do that. they want 2, not one at a time obviously. and im sure newegg will throw a fit too.

That said, i do think its an excelent idea.
Well, it could be swapped between the top and bottom. Newegg on top this time, Monarch on bottom. Next time Monarch on top and the egg on bottom. Ya know?

GilmourD said:
Well, it could be swapped between the top and bottom. Newegg on top this time, Monarch on bottom. Next time Monarch on top and the egg on bottom. Ya know?
Thats a great solution. I hope kyle takes heed.

HighwayAssassins said:
Thats a great solution. I hope kyle takes heed.
Another idea... Since they're typically Flash ads. It doesn't have to be per load, per day, or whatever. It could play different ones on a loop. Like it would just reload the Flash after the last one played. I'm pretty sure that's possible. They do it in AOL's web-based e-mail. That way, they get perfectly equal play top and bottom. Just do something like "IF TOP=1 THEN PLAY 2". Wow... It's been a long time since I even thought of BASIC. LOL

Right sided static ads seem fine to me, having them on both sides and animated tend to make sites gaudy imo. At least the ad doesn't follow your screen as you scoll down. Though I would like to know if there is a way to buy stuff from the advertisers and have my clicks credit the [H] because I have most of the large online retail sites just bookmarked and cant recall clicking on an add and then buying what ever interested me at the moment.

You guys are posting some akward shizzle...

The only suggestion I can possibly give is that you can make the forum a set width with the ad on the left... then you can scroll to the right to see everything as it was before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back