Advert on the side of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus...7 pages of complaints.....No one here has a power button on thier computer...:)

soulsaver_8229 said:
and to the person who said genmay should have the option, yeah i agree with that, i paid to broswe genmay, i diserve to shut certin things off/say what i want, but alas i cant

heres to wishing it goes away

soulsaver

And its people thinking that they should get everything they want and do anything they want that I can see the subscription modell disappearing soon. I see it quite a bit where someone says but I paid for a forum subscription so I get speical privledges.

You paid for access to Genmay not to determine how the forums look to you. Remember that.

That said, someone HighwayAssassins mentioned that Kyle will do what he want no matter what anyone says. He just needs to remember that one day that will bite him in the ass as if he drives off enough people he wont have the traffic that he uses to get the ads he does.

There is a careful medium that has to be maintained.

HighwayAssassins said:
very nicely stated.
ty, but lets all be honest, it will stay here, kyle cares less about our bitching

then again, i really only come here for the fs/ft random questions and such

if i had the money id start up my own site but, i dont have the engery/want to do that, id ban half of the peoples post ive read

but oh well.......it wont happen and all of you will live with it, so good luck to you all

and to kyle, im curious if this is your only job? if so how much do you make pure profit in your pocket at the end of the year?

soulsaver

QFT Soulsaver

I can handle the AD at the top but I agree the one on the side is taking something away from the forums. However this is not my site nor do I pay for its upkeep so basically I'll use the ol'adage of "Opinions are like assholes" - and I think you guys know the rest from there :D

BoogerBomb said:
...He just needs to remember that one day that will bite him in the ass as if he drives off enough people he wont have the traffic that he uses to get the ads he does.

There is a careful medium that has to be maintained.
Hell yea. If this was a site that sold things or a service, the results would be very imediate. Since this is a free site, it has a little more staying power, but it can still be very true in the long run.

EDIT: it would be interesting to see the genmay subscription trend.

soulsaver_8229 said:
ty, but lets all be honest, it will stay here, kyle cares less about our bitching

then again, i really only come here for the fs/ft random questions and such

if i had the money id start up my own site but, i dont have the engery/want to do that, id ban half of the peoples post ive read

but oh well.......it wont happen and all of you will live with it, so good luck to you all

and to kyle, im curious if this is your only job? if so how much do you make pure profit in your pocket at the end of the year?

soulsaver

I know that he also does a magazine colum for some magazine that the name escapes me at the moment. Maximum CPU or something like that. Like hes gonne give out financial info. But look at it this way he lives in Plano and drives an expensive Hummer and can provide comfortabley for his family so its pretty good.

Anadtech does better I imagine looking at what he drives.

I agree that Kyle not giving a shit about what we think is really quite f'ed, and lame, and so un-[H]ard, but its his site and he will choose what to do. Let him drive us away to a new place. But he should really think about moving that damn ad. Maybe to where each is reduced in length a little and have them side by side at the top or something..

BoogerBomb said:
I know that he also does a magazine colum for some magazine that the name escapes me at the moment. Maximum CPU or something like that. Like hes gonne give out financial info. But look at it this way he lives in Plano and drives an expensive Hummer and can provide comfortabley for his family so its pretty good.

Anadtech does better I imagine looking at what he drives.

Don't forget the Sale of Ratpadz and the magazine is CPU - Computer Power User

I thought I would actually post something constructive to this thread...

In that image the Blue space is areas where we could get back some reading room, the margins of the page / ad as well as the user information box. In the red it shows you how much space you actually get back. It is almost the same width as the ad. Take away a little bit for leaving in small margins still....and well problem solved pretty much. You gain back almost all of the real estate lost by the ad by tweaking the margins....EVERYONE IS HAPPY! Huzzah!

I think it's appalling that some of you guys are speculating on how much money Kyle makes and using that as a cudgel to complain about an ad banner.

None of you are privvy to this site's finances.

I have opened offices here in Austin and hired full time editors. They have been creating tons of free content for you guys for the past several months. You aren't charged for this. It's the site's sponsors that make this possible, and supporting us by clicking on the web banners makes this whole thing possible.

I can't believe what I'm hearing out of my fellow [H] members. I have been a member of this site for 6 years, and only have been working for Kyle for about 10 months. I can't believe the things I'm reading.

I don't like it at all. Makes the [H]Forum look unprofessional and cluttered. It also gives me the impression that [H] is needing some more cash. Or a hand out. However you wanna look at it.

I think placing it under the NewEgg banner in a horizontal fashion wouldn’t be so bad. But then where does it stop? Two horizontal ads? Three? Four? All stacked on each other until its all the forum consists of? I come here to read about hardware, not to point and click at flashy ads.

I am glad to see someone get an AD on hardforms. I do prefer the ads and other content of that nature on the right side top or bottem. I think it looks better and does not displace the forums badly... Ads to me just mean that I get the hard content for free and you can't beat that price...

I like my idea better...

one on top and one at the bottom and switching every other day so there isn't a "preferred" vendor...

Erasmus354 said:
I thought I would actually post something constructive to this thread...

In that image the Blue space is areas where we could get back some reading room, the margins of the page / ad as well as the user information box. In the red it shows you how much space you actually get back. It is almost the same width as the ad. Take away a little bit for leaving in small margins still....and well problem solved pretty much. You gain back almost all of the real estate lost by the ad by tweaking the margins....EVERYONE IS HAPPY! Huzzah!

Thats not a bad idea.

Chris_Morley said:
I think it's appalling that some of you guys are speculating on how much money Kyle makes and using that as a cudgel to complain about an ad banner.

I have opened offices here in Austin and hired full time editors. They have been creating tons of free content for you guys for the past several months. You aren't charged for this. It's the site's sponsors that make this possible, and supporting us by clicking on the web banners makes this whole thing possible.

I can't believe what I'm hearing out of my fellow [H] members. I have been a member of this site for 6 years, and only have been working for Kyle for about 10 months. I can't believe the things I'm reading.

Agreed on the finances, but please help us subscribers with no ads. :D

We all check monarch and newegg and I check out there deals section in hotdeals.. and it would make it easier to browse at work. I kind of scroll the newegg bit down real fast to avoid blinking. Now I'll be nervous to read the first two posts. :D

Kidding aside, I think everyone including owner loved the simple look.

Chris_Morley said:

I personally have no problem with Kyle making money off the [H]. Hell, I wish I could do what he does. I'm sure it's hard work and sometimes frustrating. He does deserve it, and so does the rest of the staff.

The ONLY thing I take issue with is the placement of the ad. It's something I could get used to, but I think it would serve the [H] and its denizens much better if it were moved. The only problem is that it set the aesthetic balance of the site off.

(cf)Eclipse said:
it makes me want to puke. get rid of it now.
Ditto on that. It ruins the whole symmetrical look of the forum completely. The Newegg ad the top is tolerable, if not pleasant to look at, but the side ad completely ruins everything.

It means that these low quality 1024x768 laptops that a lot of people do browsing on get a cramped and cluttered screen. I just wish the add didn't look like utter crap, if it was a nice add I wouldn't mind so much...

The add is an annoying, but i'm sure nessacary evil. As long as the content doesn't get filtered. more power to kyle getting the money he needs to run the site.

I really do wish that the genmay subcribers could disable adds tho, i subcribe over at macrumors.com and it was the ad disabiling that made me deciede to do it, kinda pushed me over the edge.

got to pay the bills ... i'll look at an ad to keep the [H]ard going ..

no problem

keep em coming

I'm in 800x600 hell at the library, and i cant change the resolution stupid LCD monitor :mad:

THE VIEWING AREA IS 2 INCHES WIDE :mad:

best [486] said:
I'm in 800x600 hell at the library, and i cant change the resolution stupid LCD monitor :mad:

THE VIEWING AREA IS 2 INCHES WIDE :mad:

Exactly what I was talking about earlier..

malicious said:
got to pay the bills ... i'll look at an ad to keep the [H]ard going ..

no problem

keep em coming
i have no problem with the ad itself.. if anything, i really support [H]. i've become too involved here to be any other way. it's just the poor location that makes me ill

(cf)Eclipse said:
i have no problem with the ad itself.. if anything, i really support [H]. i've become too involved here to be any other way. it's just the poor location that makes me ill

Agreed

(cf)Eclipse said:

Agree 100% with this one.

Full Folding Ahead!

it doesnt bother me so much that there is an ad, but please change the location so everything is not offset, say along the top or at the bottom of the page. That way everything is even.

Light1984 said:
it doesnt bother me so much that there is an ad, but please change the location so everything is not offset, say along the top or at the bottom of the page. That way everything is even.
i'm almost tempted to say throw it in after the first post, to keep things centered. it'll still be really visible, but not nearly so visually annoying.

How about in between posts, if not already mentioned? I'd be all for that, and it'd solve everyone's problems.

If the ad was placed under the Newegg ad or at the bottom of the page, I highly doubt there would be so much protest over this. I just feel there is too much wasted real estate on the forum the way it is now.

I agree, I don't mind an add if the H needs it, but the placement is really, really, bad. On the top, on the bottom, after the first post in a thread, wherever, just make it somewhere that doesn't throw off the layout like it does now.

Maybe charge everyone a few bucks that will generate some revenue then no more ad's tada! :)

Jasonx82 said:
Maybe charge everyone a few bucks that will generate some revenue then no more ad's tada! :)

I've already threw my $15 in the pot for the lifetime General Mayhem subscription.

I will accept the new ad if users are forced to add their folding stats to their signatures where I don't have to see them.

Firefox adblock easily removes any and all ads on the entire HardOCP site with a few clicks ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back