Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

I'm guessing tempered glass ones are glossy, but how are they? is there a weird effect by having the tempered glass before the panel?
They are all glossy, but the tempered glass model shows are more reflective than the standard glossy. It also creates an additional layer over the panel, a few have even claimed to see dual reflections on certain angles. And tempered glass models *tend* to have dust specs stuck underneath.

Results and experiences will vary i'm sure.

Nah, don't bother with the tempered glass.

All of the Catleap and Shimian models are glossy.

you're positive? about to pull the trigger on the catleap ( I like that stand actually )

also, what makes you say no to the glass option? hard to clean dust etc??

ty for the response, If I want to get a glossy non-2b type monitor, which one would be my best bet?

this one ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATLEAP-Q27...4923?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3375c8a18b
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220961455233

I'm guessing tempered glass ones are glossy, but how are they? is there a weird effect by having the tempered glass before the panel?

The stand on the Catleap is garbage. Unless you are getting it to VESA mount, grab the Shimian.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The stand on the Catleap is garbage. Unless you are getting it to VESA mount, grab the Shimian.

really?

ok to sum things up

Catleap and Achieve both glossy

Catleap has a terrible stand but vesa mounts
Achieva has good stand but no vesa mounts

sound about right?

btw thanks everyone for the info.

The Achieva can use VESA mounts. I have tested mine with a swivel mount I had on hand.

so then the only real difference is which monitor "looks" better (frame wise) I guess, otherwise the catleap isn't worth $20 over the achieva.

Doesn't appear to be at all. Unless you require extra inputs or prefer glass (not sure why) than it seems the general census is grab whatever is the cheapest , buy an extended warranty in case because it may end up saving you some cash and in this circumstance makes more sense than a regular monitor buy and go for it.

I can't wait for mine to arrive I'm all excited. Now I have to upgrade my video card SLI setup though but the GTX 670 is an incredible performer and readily in stock.

Could anyone provide the height dimension from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen in inches? Curious to know if a certain monitor stand will work.

yeah for all intents and purposes this warranty really doesn't exist. The whole point of this was to get monitors that overclocked. Now if you get a monitor that doesn't overclock then you are screwed, because you can't return it, if you get a monitor that dies in a few weeks then you are screwed as well because there is no way Greensum will accept a return then because he knows you have overclocked it.

Basically all you are covered for is if it arrives DOA.

And Hypermatrix, sorry, but you using the comparison to Plasma's and Cars as example of things that you have to wait before using fully is flawed. They are completely different. You should be able to overclock these boards straight away. You are overclocking the PCB so this is more like overclocking a CPU then warming up a plasma. And who waits a few weeks before overclocking their CPU?

You should wait a few days for proper thermal bonding before overclocking a CPU too high. But I'm not sure if we're discussing best practices or peoples impatience. Either way...as with all equipment, the warranty is void once OC'd. That means outside of the first few weeks if anything comes up, you're right. You will not have any warranty. The purpose of the warranty is that should you have any issues with the monitor upon receiving the monitor, or shortly thereafter, you will be covered with no additional expense on your end. Why they decided to call it a 1 year warranty when in fact it won't last that long? I'm not sure. Maybe they wanted to emphasize the fact that it's not a bad product that they're not willing to stand behind, but rather...you taking it beyond its specifications is a choice you're making in voiding the warranty. And that would be understandable.

For example when you're buying hard drives and one has a 1-year warranty, and one has a 5-year warranty. You automatically assume that the one with a 5-year warranty must obviously be of a better quality, since the manufacturer is confident enough to provide such a long warranty for it. I'm guessing it's something along these lines.

And it's really not my job to tell you what to do or not do. I'm just relaying the manufacturers policies, and advising our members how to best protect themselves from any situation that may come up. We don't make the product. We don't provide warranty for the product. And we don't even ship the product. But what we do, is provide as much information as we can on our site. That's the entire reason/purpose behind making our site. To cover Korean monitors.

I don't believe I even posted on this site telling people to buy these monitors. I kept them up to date on our site. New servers. News of production. But I'm not here to pimp these monitors. There'd be no benefit for me to do that. For most of you, a 60hz monitor will be enough. And at $305 for the Shimian model on eBay, you really can't go wrong. And you have the added protection of eBay disputes/etc...

Stick to what you're comfortable with. There are definitely a lot of risks to take with these 120hz monitors. And I can very easily understand why many would not want to take that risk. But there also appears to be a very high demand by those who are willing to take risks as is evident in our member count jump. We've had a 67% increase in members since Monday and there is likely to be far less supply available for sale under these terms than there is demand. So apparently the company is doing something right.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Could anyone provide the height dimension from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen in inches? Curious to know if a certain monitor stand will work.

My Shimian with its curved bezel is slightly over 15.5 inches from the highest point to the lowest.

so then the only real difference is which monitor "looks" better (frame wise) I guess, otherwise the catleap isn't worth $20 over the achieva.

My Achieva doesn't play nice @ 57hz or higher. I posted pictures of it on page 106. This happened on four different dual link DVI cables and on both my gtx 680 and 7970 setups.

That said, for the $300 I spent on it, I'm ok with running it @ 56hz on an otherwise great screen.

The tempered glass version looks so sexy.
Also
in lots of the sales, it states "perfect pixel" at a slightly higher cost. Whats that about? Are they tested for dead pixles?

Last edited:
My Achieva doesn't play nice @ 57hz or higher. I posted pictures of it on page 106. This happened on four different dual link DVI cables and on both my gtx 680 and 7970 setups.

That said, for the $300 I spent on it, I'm ok with running it @ 56hz on an otherwise great screen.

heh, I can't see page 106 :p i only have 57! what post # is ur old post?

One last thing, who's the best seller to deal with on Ebay?

Last edited:
It's post #2115.

As far as eBay sellers, GreenSum seems to package it the best. DCSamsung mall has the reputation of being the fastest shipper. I went with ta_planet at the time because he had a good rating and offered the cheapest Achieva.

You should wait a few days for proper thermal bonding before overclocking a CPU too high. But I'm not sure if we're discussing best practices or peoples impatience. Either way...as with all equipment, the warranty is void once OC'd. That means outside of the first few weeks if anything comes up, you're right. You will not have any warranty. The purpose of the warranty is that should you have any issues with the monitor upon receiving the monitor, or shortly thereafter, you will be covered with no additional expense on your end. Why they decided to call it a 1 year warranty when in fact it won't last that long? I'm not sure. Maybe they wanted to emphasize the fact that it's not a bad product that they're not willing to stand behind, but rather...you taking it beyond its specifications is a choice you're making in voiding the warranty. And that would be understandable.

For example when you're buying hard drives and one has a 1-year warranty, and one has a 5-year warranty. You automatically assume that the one with a 5-year warranty must obviously be of a better quality, since the manufacturer is confident enough to provide such a long warranty for it. I'm guessing it's something along these lines.

And it's really not my job to tell you what to do or not do. I'm just relaying the manufacturers policies, and advising our members how to best protect themselves from any situation that may come up. We don't make the product. We don't provide warranty for the product. And we don't even ship the product. But what we do, is provide as much information as we can on our site. That's the entire reason/purpose behind making our site. To cover Korean monitors.

I don't believe I even posted on this site telling people to buy these monitors. I kept them up to date on our site. New servers. News of production. But I'm not here to pimp these monitors. There'd be no benefit for me to do that. For most of you, a 60hz monitor will be enough. And at $305 for the Shimian model on eBay, you really can't go wrong. And you have the added protection of eBay disputes/etc...

Stick to what you're comfortable with. There are definitely a lot of risks to take with these 120hz monitors. And I can very easily understand why many would not want to take that risk. But there also appears to be a very high demand by those who are willing to take risks as is evident in our member count jump. We've had a 67% increase in members since Monday and there is likely to be far less supply available for sale under these terms than there is demand. So apparently the company is doing something right.

Best of luck.

The purpose of this warranty seems to be to mislead the customer. Can you name one other overclockable product that voids a warranty based on an assumption? Imagine if you called in to warranty your video card and were told that since this is a popular OC product they decided to void your warranty.

If you just want to help the community than that 1 year warranty shouldn't be listed on your site at all. A little disclaimer in the listing that overclocking your monitor will void your warranty isn't sufficient when the reality is that these warranties expire within 1-2 weeks of ownership, if that. Anything else is shady business on your end and theirs. If this really is their stance on the issue.

I'm sure you could increase your membership count by a lot more if the company claims each monitor comes with a diamond encrusted stand. Of course it doesn't actually come with one, but if saying it does increases member count than the company must be doing something right, yeah?

The only thing done right so far is that they have cornered the market on the 120hz versions of these monitors. If they sold these thing on Ebay or if there was any competition I don't think your website would be getting members at all.

great, just ordered from greensum for $301 :>

Very nice! Seems like it just keeps creeping down in price. I'll be ordering a third if this keeps up.

I'm I going to have to buy a different power adapter for my Shimian? Are there any extra cables I'll need as well before it arrives?

The purpose of this warranty seems to be to mislead the customer. Can you name one other overclockable product that voids a warranty based on an assumption? Imagine if you called in to warranty your video card and were told that since this is a popular OC product they decided to void your warranty.

There is a difference between a "popular OC product" and a "only buying it to OC product." There is absolutely nothing special about these monitors except that they can be OC'd. It's not based off of an assumption. It's based off of an expectation. The monitor costs nearly 50% more. And you pay that for 1 thing. The opportunity to Overclock it. That is what you're paying for. That's what makes it an expectation as opposed to an assumption.

And in the world of walmart swappers, I can understand why the manufacturer would have such a policy. Because if you do Overclock a product, and think you can lie and say you didn't when it breaks down...the majority of people will do that. Their markup, as high as some may consider it, isn't as high as other manufacturers like Apple. This is a small 50 employee company in Korea. There are pros and cons to that. Pros...we were able to talk them into making 1000 more of these monitors. Cons. You're not buying from Apple or Dell.

The people buying this monitor are aware of this. Unfortunately you don't seem to understand it. But don't worry. If I see any orders come in under your name, I will promptly refund it for you so you don't have to worry about being taken advantage of with a $460 1440p S-IPS 120hz monitor with free international return shipping on doa/initial usage issues, which even eBay doesn't cover and states YOU must pay for.

I'm closing down this tab in my browser. If you have any additional questions or concerns...check the usual sources.

If you just want to help the community than that 1 year warranty shouldn't be listed on your site at all. A little disclaimer in the listing that overclocking your monitor will void your warranty isn't sufficient when the reality is that these warranties expire within 1-2 weeks of ownership, if that. Anything else is shady business on your end and theirs. If this really is their stance on the issue.

I'm sure you could increase your membership count by a lot more if the company claims each monitor comes with a diamond encrusted stand. Of course it doesn't actually come with one, but if saying it does increases member count than the company must be doing something right, yeah?

The only thing done right so far is that they have cornered the market on the 120hz versions of these monitors. If they sold these thing on Ebay or if there was any competition I don't think your website would be getting members at all.

At this point you and the other haters are thread crapping. I'm tired of reading about it. Someone went out of their way to try and let a few more people in on something that was gone. Not only did they go out of their way, they spent hours upon hours negotiating. You sat there, wandered into the thread, and started complaining that you didn't get the same assurances you would from a multimillion dollar a year domestic company that sells a similar product for twice the price. If you don't like it, don't buy it! The warranty, no matter your thoughts about it, is better than you'll get on any other similar Korean market display you'll buy on ebay.

The threadcraps that are in this same vein are pure speculation. There has been no indication that these guys are trying to screw anyone out of anything, and they have been civil towards critics far beyond the point that I would have been. I tend to find that the folk that assume the worst in people, like you have been, tend to be pretty bad people themselves. Don't project being a bad person on someone else without justification.

This has been covered by other posts, more than two or three times. STOP THREAD CRAPPING. Spend your money elsewhere instead of trashing someone because they did folks a favor.

My Shimian with its curved bezel is slightly over 15.5 inches from the highest point to the lowest.

Sweet thanks. That means if I remove the bezel the screens will be slim enough to fit in a 5x1 portrait setup on my stand if I decide to get 2x 7990s.

Took the plunge on a Catleap from Greensum as well as a dual 28" VESA stand off amazon for $90.

Now the wait and prayer for no dead pixels begins.

My Catleap from Greensum arrived! I may just take my lunch break to run home and do a quick test to make sure it's not DOA. The box was a little squished, but the manufacturer's packaging seems to have been sufficient to prevent any damage to the display.

It's killing me not to be able to fire this up right now!

Cross Post:

Got my replacement adapter in the morning- damn green light turned off as I plugged it in. Turns out for some reason the power port on the monitor is backwards so you gotta turn the jack 180 degrees for it to go in.

Now here are my problems with the monitor- because of the weird way the 4 pin power jack connects to the monitor it's not fully in- but thanks to the wire routing on my monitor arm it's not gonna be an issue as slightly wobbling it means the difference between the monitor being on and off (also it made crazy sounds whenever I tried to plug it in like it was gonna blow up).

Finally it loaded and OH MY WORD The backlight is maybe a touch strong- but I'm certain that's because my Viewsonic's one was pretty poor.

So I connected the 2 monitors side by side (Old Viewsonic vx2260wm in portrait mode) and the difference in quality is RIDICULOUS. This Shimian is nothing short of devine, and cos the seller tested for dead pixels I can confirm I double checked it has NO dead pixels right now.

So yeah, the quality difference is so big it actually pained me to see my good ol vx2260wm that I've grown to love over the past few years. Even the extra 1080x1920 real estate wasn't worth it because the 2560x1440 panel can fit 2 windows side by side without compromise (and at a better scaling than the portrait monitor).

Eventually, I gave up my Viewsonic to my bros so they're using it right now 2 TN panels and I've decided to stick with just the 1 Shimian monitor.

I've also checked to see if the difference in input lag made any difference on games like Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, SF4 Arcade Edition 2012 and Marvel vs Capcom 3 and I can confirm there's next to no difference. It's definitely 1F or less of lag.

The scaling on the 360 + Shimian is VERY good, you really can't fault it picture looks better than ever could not pick up on any stretched pixels.

Of course I have no data to prove this but when you've played as long as I have you can definitely tell the difference between ~1 and 1.5f of input lag.

I'm honestly really damn happy with this monitor I dunno what else to say. I genuinely can never go back to using a TN panel again- no matter how good it is.

Word to the wise:

Don't try to remove that silver plastic arch from the back of the catleap, put everything back together, mount it on a vesa compatible stand and test it all on your one hour lunch break. You'll run out of time.

@Darkhadou:
Is the background on your comp light or dark? A too bright monitor causes more strain on my eyes, but I usually run a theme and background that's very dark anyway..

Last edited:
These seem like a great deal. People appear to be latching on to the 100hz plus feature. Just be aware of why 120hz TN monitors reduce blur, and even artifacts due to reducing blur, so much.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/samsung-sm2233rz_10.html#sect0

I have an apple cinema display and if 120hz was possible, being sent to it would still blur/smear on FoV movement since the response time is 10ms+ (vs 2ms TN) and it lacks the tech outlined in the link above. I'd still jump on this deal if I didn't already have one. This is an incredible deal regardless of the hz, response time, and RTC.
2560x1440 60hz ips has gorgeous imagery, high color (around 85% adobe 1998 on my ACD), great desktop real-estate, screen/color uniformity, high ppi.
For appreciable blur reduction, a 120hz input TN with high/very high overdrive~Response-Time-Compensation(RTC) is the best you can get outside of a fw900 graphics professional crt.

Last edited:
I keep reading about people saying these Korean models lack overdrive which seems to confuse or deter some potential buyers. This simply is not true

Of course they are over driven, other wise they would not be able to achieve such low measured response times. See this chart:

http://down.playwares.com/xe/files/attach/images/53/283/066/6ab3c0c5d1e8c3e01f06db6c55a13abc.jpg

The Crossover is faster than many TN panels....how could it be if it lacked overdrive?

Having used the 27Q LED-P and seeing it overshoot (bright glow/shield or halo forming around moving objects) only confirms that they are actually over driven a little too much. If they lacked overdrive there would be very noticeable colour smearing even with very slow camera movement, smearing like you would find on some of the older C-PVA panels and the measured response times would not be so low.

I keep reading about people saying these Korean models lack overdrive which seems to confuse or deter some potential buyers. This simply is not true

Of course they are over driven, other wise they would not be able to achieve such low measured response times. See this chart:

http://down.playwares.com/xe/files/attach/images/53/283/066/6ab3c0c5d1e8c3e01f06db6c55a13abc.jpg

The Crossover is faster than many TN panels
....how could it be if it lacked overdrive?

Having used the 27Q LED-P and seeing it overshoot (bright glow/shield or halo forming around moving objects) only confirms that they are actually over driven a little too much. If they lacked overdrive there would be very noticeable colour smearing even with very slow camera movement, smearing like you would find on some of the older C-PVA panels and the measured response times would not be so low.
It was a post by ToastyX that led some of us to believe that it either had a mild, or no overdrive at all, at least that's the way i'm remembering it.

But otherwise you are right, the proof is in the numbers, and the lack of any serious blur and smearing.

In that chart, what is the difference between the two monitors in the rectangles? I take it the 2720 GOLD LED is the Catleap's, but one says Rev before the name? Is the one in the blue rectangle a 2B overclocked version or something versus the purple rectangle? Then again simply increasing the Hz should have no effect on the pixel response time.

Back