Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

I just sent Dream-Sellers my request for 3 tempered glass ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-IPSB LCD's if he can guarantee against dead pixel and dust behind the glass. Will see if this seller agrees.

Why would he bother wasting his time with that request unless you're paying a lot more money? The monitors will sell to customers that don't have such requests.

Because I have intention of buying more than just 3 for friends and family. The first 3 will be like sample batch. If they are good, I will get more. If not, I won't. It is not unreasonable for the seller to take some accountability on his end given the fact that support is only in Korea.

I read that the stand itself isn't removable from the Catleap--is that true?

Or could it be disassembled and then removed? It looks like it's sort of "stuck" inside.

It seems like the Catleap has a plastic clip on the back that cover the VESA mounting holes. There is no way to remove them unless you can disassemble the LCD afaik

Because I have intention of buying more than just 3 for friends and family. The first 3 will be like sample batch. If they are good, I will get more. If not, I won't. It is not unreasonable for the seller to take some accountability on his end given the fact that support is only in Korea.

He's just the reseller, not the manufacturer. It's not in his best interest to waste time and money going through his inventory to find the "right" 3 just for you. Even if you buy more, you're not buying enough to justify his time and expense without him charging you far more, which makes this far less of a bargain than it already is. You want the name brand quality for the no name brand price, but it doesn't work that way.

I'd bet good money that even if he "agrees", he just blindly picks 3 and ships them out unchecked. Maybe you get lucky anyway, if not, you pay to ship them back. You'll have zero leverage trying to force them to do anything.

I'd just settle for what you get, it's a steal as it is and if it's not good enough, then you're better off buying local so that you can more easily return panels that don't meet your high expectations.

So if were to want to get either the Achieva or Catleap which would be the better option? Also, would it be a good idea to get the Square trade warranty since it is applicable to these monitors?

So if were to want to get either the Achieva or Catleap which would be the better option? Also, would it be a good idea to get the Square trade warranty since it is applicable to these monitors?

There has been a lot of speculation about the squaretrade warranty - I got it but will probably be canceling it for a full refund. It seems since these were never meant for import to the US SquareTrade will no cover them. I need to read the fine print still.

EDIT: I actually called SquareTrade direct, had them check their policy. I made it very clear that it was not intended for US sale and was from South Korea. The representative put me on hold for a bit and confirmed it is still eligible so long as it was listed as new, not used. Given they're all listed as new I don't think there will be an issue.

Not sure if I will be keeping the warranty myself regardless ($70 additional is kinda high, but I guess if you think about it as $25/year for peace of mind, not that bad), but hopefully this will be helpful for others trying to decide if they want to get it. Would be useful if the power supply dies, pretty much. That said, I bet you could source a replacement cheaper than $70.

Last edited:
SJetski71 said:
Toasty that's some nice uniformity your Catleap has, and to think cameras exaggerate the flaws, it must look great in person.
It's actually slightly worse in person because the picture was taken from a distance where the IPS glow doesn't come into play. The glow adds to the brightness in the bottom right corner. The severity will also vary depending on brightness.

Also, here's my ghetto solution to the catleap stand problems:

catleap-cups.jpg

The stack of cups evens out the monitor and stops it from wobbling. It actually works quite well. Whatever you wedge under there needs to be about 10.5 cm.

Think I finally made a decision after so so much research on that oc thread. Gonna go with the shimian non-glass from greensum. It has vesa ( I know the catleap has vesa, but dont want to 'break' the silver backing off), and I don't need to overclock the monitor, as im fine with 60hz.

I just hope theres no difference in input lag between the two, with the shimian being laggier..

I would get it from dream-seller, but his shimian says "d-sub" on it, and that means scaler.. which I don't want. Although it seems like it may be a description error
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...er_Monitors&hash=item3372543c81#ht_6122wt_951

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can buy it direct through squaretrade within 30 days of purchase, I believe. Just call them.

Yup I went online and put the item number in the quote box on their website. It links to the current price of the monitor so if it fluctuates there is a price break at $400 and under. I also found a coupon for 20% so got a three year for under $50.

He's just the reseller, not the manufacturer. It's not in his best interest to waste time and money going through his inventory to find the "right" 3 just for you. Even if you buy more, you're not buying enough to justify his time and expense without him charging you far more, which makes this far less of a bargain than it already is. You want the name brand quality for the no name brand price, but it doesn't work that way.

I'd bet good money that even if he "agrees", he just blindly picks 3 and ships them out unchecked. Maybe you get lucky anyway, if not, you pay to ship them back. You'll have zero leverage trying to force them to do anything.

I'd just settle for what you get, it's a steal as it is and if it's not good enough, then you're better off buying local so that you can more easily return panels that don't meet your high expectations.
Good points, every box he opens and plastic he unwraps creates an open box product that reduces it's value, there's just no way the seller could hide the wrinkly plastic and re-taped box mess if he tried selling it to someone else.

It wouldn't hurt to ask, but i wouldn't get my hopes up, and i'd plan on a backup purchase strategy in the meantime. A small quantity discount would be one idea and wait till at least Monday afternoon for the dust to settle on prices.

Think I finally made a decision after so so much research on that oc thread. Gonna go with the shimian non-glass from greensum. It has vesa ( I know the catleap has vesa, but dont want to 'break' the silver backing off), and I don't need to overclock the monitor, as im fine with 60hz.

I just hope theres no difference in input lag between the two, with the shimian being laggier..

I would get it from dream-seller, but his shimian says "d-sub" on it, and that means scaler.. which I don't want. Although it seems like it may be a description error
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...er_Monitors&hash=item3372543c81#ht_6122wt_951

Pretty sure none of these cheap ones have a built in scaler or an OSD.

anyone received a monitor from green-sum yet? just wondering if they are bubble wrapped.

A new low price on the Catleap Q270 SE, another seller has them for $375 shipped and the "Best Offer" feature is enabled.

I wonder if he'll accept a best offer of $360 or $365 shipped.

A new low price on the Catleap Q270 SE, another seller has them for $375 shipped and the "Best Offer" feature is enabled.

I wonder if he'll accept a best offer of $360 or $365 shipped.

Well I offered $350... we'll see :p

Regarding HDCP support on the catleap, I used these two test programs:

CyberLink BD & 3D Advisor:
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/bd-support/enu/index.jsp

WinDVD Advisor:
http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=4500032

Both claim HDCP is supported. I don't have anything that requires HDCP support, so I don't know how accurate those programs are.

Dont know what video card you're using but the NVidia control panel has a check for that built in as well. Good info to know though, would kinda suck to get one of these and not be able to watch movies on it because of that.

HDCP.jpg

Anyone have an idea how much return shipping would be on these if you got a badly damaged/non-functioning one?

Are you serious with that?!

The seller better cover that, if he's gonna ship me a piece of dogshit to begin with. (Just saying, in case they aren't -- I haven't looked to see what their terms are.) If his lazy ass would use $5 worth of bubble wrap, $90 worth of shipping could've been avoided.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATLEAP-Q27...r_Monitors&hash=item4ab494e36d#ht_8995wt_1112

Is this the glass screen? Looking for a catleap without the glass.
That's exactly the one you want, no tempered glass, no speakers, no scaler, and proven to have the highest refresh rate of all the models being discussed.

Catleap Q270 SE

Are you serious with that?!

The seller better cover that, if he's gonna ship me a piece of dogshit to begin with. (Just saying, in case they aren't -- I haven't looked to see what their terms are.) If his lazy ass would use $5 worth of bubble wrap, $90 worth of shipping could've been avoided.
In a more serious situation i would open a dispute through Paypal/Ebay and during the text/verbal exchange i would state how "it's not fair for me to pay return shipping out of my pocket for a problem that was not my fault", it has always worked for me in similar disputes because it is true.

And if it's related to shipping damage + shipping insurance then that is for the seller to sort out, not the buyer. I would still open a dispute if that were the case. If none of these tactics worked then i would go to my credit card as a last resort, especially on a pricier purchase (a risky move to do against paypal though).

Last edited:
Same as the others.

It's funny they're competing for the lowest price now. That auction was $380 within the last hour. Now there are two at $375.00

The guy declined my $350 offer, I'll try $360.

just bought the catleap lite (I hope?)

Will post review when it arrives.

Eh that guy declined $360 too, just ordered one for $375 from green-sum.

Should get it middle of this week.

Please post a review. I would not mind selling my 24 and 20 inch screens for a single 27inch.

Just wait for ToastyX or 10e to post their colour preset measurements. The ACD is supposed to have accurate default colour so it will likely look better out of the box. One could always buy a white LED compatible colourimeter like the X-Rite ColourMunkie (190$) or i1 Display Pro (250$) if they are unhappy with the default colours.

Can someone post pictures of what the Catleap looks like with the silver plastic thing broken off looks like. I'm on Green-Sums ebay and I want to click the button but I want to throw it in a custom VESA and ditch the factory stand. Damn, what a good deal!

I called up SquareTrade and they said their warranty is valid after the first year (Because Ebay lists the manufacturer warranty as 1yr). So $54 ($60 w/ tax for me) per monitor, for 3 yr coverage. I believe if they can't repair it they just refund you purchase price - warranty cost. So not a bad deal if you're expecting these to break. But luckily LCD's don't have that many components and the most common parts that break are pretty easy to repair. I'll probably void the warranty on this first Catleap and pull it apart.

If the first one turns out nice, I'll order 2 more + a TyreSupply Triple LCD Stand ($110 shipped, supports 27-28" LCD's and Portrait/Landscape, Free-standing too, no desk mounting).

If the first one turns out nice, I'll order 2 more + a TyreSupply Triple LCD Stand ($110 shipped, supports 27-28" LCD's and Portrait/Landscape, Free-standing too, no desk mounting).

Do you have a link for the stand, that is exactly what I'm thinking of doing with 2 other 24" monitors I have...

Edit - NVM it was Tyke Supply, sorry I'm new to the tons of displays game.

Edit 2 - I decided if I was looking for this others might - heres the link - http://www.tykesupply.com/Products-Triple_Monitor_Stand_Free_Standing_Curved_Arm_1.html

Of note they also have a 6 monitor stand that is freestanding and supports up to 27"...

Last edited:
I wanted that one because it was curved, they have some mounts that are straight-armed.

Ebay was cheaper than ordering off their site for me atleast.

www.easymountlcd.com is reseller of the same stuff too

It's the cheapest triple monitor stand I could find that supported monitors this large.

It also turns out you can mount it to your desk if you choose, but looks like you'll have to drill a hole, I have an Ikea I got for free so I wouldn't even mind. But I'll keep it free-standing most likely.

Last edited:
Good catch on the Easy Mount site - I found the Tyke through Amazon and it seems to be cheaper there depending on the model either on shipping or the actual product so I think I will go through Amazon as its a more direct method (since they say its fulfilled by Tyke). I'm getting http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Monitor-Stand-Standing-Curved/dp/B006FZY2XK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top slightly concerned about the lack of tilt in but frankly my current 2 monitor setup is rather shallow and I wouldn't mind since the outliers are going to be 24's for now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So this is the real deal then? IPS with about 100hz, more than 1080p, no input lag, decent uniformity? Well I can't afford it right now but this seems too good to be true. Wish it was matte though (don't care about the grain), I can't stand glossy. edit : did I read that correctly or is it just without AG but not glossy either?

edit : Does the refresh rate do it justice with the lack of overdrive though?

Last edited:
Back