Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

steal said:
lol are you fucking kidding me :(

oh well
You can remove it. Three of the four prongs holding it to the monitor were already broken during shipping, so I just broke the last one off and removed it.

yeah i might sell this and get a catleap if they turn out to be able to reliably hit 96hz...

Couldn't wait any longer. Just ordered the speakerless Catleap from DreamSeller, 413.90

Once it gets here, I get to upgrade my 5770 - to a 7850, once AMD releases them this month.

BB

Would you let us know if this things really run over 60hz? :) I'm thinking of getting one myself :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wonder why the catleaps seem so much easier to get to higherrefresh rates... Is there a panel difference or some sort of unlisted quality difference?

If none of the shimians can perform as high as the catleaps, something must be different.

I wonder why the catleaps seem so much easier to get to higherrefresh rates... Is there a panel difference or some sort of unlisted quality difference?

If none of the shimians can perform as high as the catleaps, something must be different.

From what I have read they have the same panel. It's probably a difference in the other hardware.

Thanks Toasty - good info as always, and a pretty convincing set of images for high refresh support. 96hz is a good 'magic' refresh rate - it is divisible by 24, making it a solid choice for film / TV based video playback, and still high enough to allow games where the entire engine is locked to refresh rate play smoother. I love my 120hz monitor, but it has poor viewing angles - a 96hz IPS panel seems very cool.

I'll get around to it. I haven't even calibrated it yet.

85 Hz proof pics (catleap):1

I set the camera's shutter speed to 1/10th of a second and took pictures at 60 Hz and 85 Hz.

I used Refresh Rate Multitool, which is a program that synchronizes with the monitor's refresh rate and draws a bar moving from left to right once per frame.

60 Hz:
catleap-bars-60hz.jpg

85 Hz:
catleap-bars-85hz.jpg

Notice how more bars are drawn in the same amount of time at 85 Hz, and no bars are skipped.

I also did the old mouse cursor test:

60 Hz:
catleap-mouse-60hz.jpg

85 Hz:
catleap-mouse-85hz.jpg

Notice how more cursors are drawn in the same amount of time with less spacing between each cursor. The movement is perfectly smooth with no skipped frames.

Note: If you do the cursor test, make sure to use a 1000 Hz or 500 Hz mouse, otherwise it may look like it's skipping due to mismatched rates.

For reference, this is how skipped frames look like:

mouse-ds.jpg

This is the real deal. It can actually do higher refresh rates properly, and NVIDIA users might be able to get more than 85 Hz if the pixel clock is not limited to 330 MHz.

The 97 Hz limit seems to be due to the pixel clock hitting the DAC limit of 400 MHz. I bet it could hit 100 Hz if the timing parameters were bumped down a bit, but I don't have an NVIDIA card to test this with.

The higher refresh rate is nice, but a killer video card will be required to support 96hz @1440p.

One probably needs tri 580 3gb for 1440p @96hz

If more people can get higher refresh rates then the Catleap should become THE gaming monitor

Last edited:
tri 580 3GB for 1440p @ 96hz? OMFG, I had no idea >60hz required so much hp!

But then is a single 580 or 7970 too little for 1600p @60hz?

ToastyX thanks for the great update and review. Hoping you can answer a couple of questions:

- Did you buy from Dream-seller or one of the other sellers?

- Did you buy the Q270 or Q270 SE ?

- Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
tri 580 3GB for 1440p @ 96hz? OMFG, I had no idea >60hz required so much hp!

But then is a single 580 or 7970 too little for 1600p @60hz?

Not at all actually, my 2nd card in crossfire had an untimely death and was being replace so I had one for about 2 weeks. At 1200/1700 it felt about as fast (if not a little faster) than my unlocked 6950 xfire, probably more due to single card smoothness than actual better performance. Native res is 2560x1600

EDIT: Dunno about a GTX580 though, you might have to turn some settings down there. in a couple of games.

^be aware you are probably going to have to pick up shorter bolts to mount to the back. The vesa bolt holes are very shallow at least on the tempered glass shimian model.

Should have pictures of mine tonight.

Last edited:
Your video card would do the scaling based on the driver settings you pick.

Does this tax the video card at all when it needs to do the scaling?

How about when it needs to scale three monitors on an eyefinity setup?

I'd think these would work well for a project... they're so cheap you wouldn't really mind removing the bezels and putting them in a triple-LCD setup.

Wonder if they'll stay this price for a while.

I'd think these would work well for a project... they're so cheap you wouldn't really mind removing the bezels and putting them in a triple-LCD setup.

Wonder if they'll stay this price for a while.

The price will just continue to drop.

The production of 2560x1440 panels has increased rapidly and will continue to do so. The more panels that are produced the cheaper the panels get.

Still this offer is amazing at the moment.

So if I read all this right, this is an OEM of Hazro is that correct?

Assuming I wouldn't get a lemon or something crazy, realistically, what would I be seeing shooting one of these puppies out vs my NEC 2490wuxi pound for pound? Hell, I'm half tempted to do it. Do they do these bad boys in 30?

I am a bit concerned about no warranty or support of any kind, though, but at these kinds of prices it's at least 50/50 worth some kind of risk if everything else fell the right way.

Here is my Shimian tempered glass monitors. They look amazing! Only running at 1920x1200 right now. Took some snaps during the avengers trailer. This is my photoshop/video editing rig.

desk123.jpg

desk1234.jpg

Last edited:
What'd you get there? 2 27s?

I'm still trying to get a grip on the differences between Shimian and Catleap.

What'd you get there? 2 27s?

I'm still trying to get a grip on the differences between Shimian and Catleap.

Really I think the difference break down to slight differences in stand, and having to break off the grey back plastic to access the VESA on the Catleap as well as the Catleap being able to do higher refresh rates due to lack of a pixel clock limitation in the EDID.

EDIT: They do make them in 30" versions but they're damn near the same price as domestic 30" LCDs.

Here is my Shimian tempered glass monitors. They look amazing! Only running at 1920x1200 right now. Took some snaps during the avengers trailer. This is my photoshop/video editing rig.

What refresh rates can you do at 2560 x 1440?

Over at OCN some users says they can get 70hz from their Shimian.

Been thinking about the Cross Over 27Q LED. This model has a metal housing (aluminum). not being carried by the ebay people yet and haven't heard any reports yet. Found this blog post though, and thought people might be interested.

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=shinchkr&logNo=20125954902

It's a complete tear down of the crossover, should be the same panel. Maybe someone with better knowledge of LCD's can glean some info off of the chips being used? as an aside, at least the crossover seems to have solder points for a DSUB, though I'm not sure it'd be functional anyway.

If the pixel clock information is changed or removed in the EDID of the Shimian -- by means of an EDID editor and flashing it via Powerstrip -- can it be overclocked just like the CatLeap?

Wowowow this is really tempting. Thinking of upgrading from my 3 20wmgx2s, cause theyre so small. I prefer glossy or atleast semi glossy with very low input lag.

Which monitor would that be? Mannn i need a push to get one of these

linuxdude9 said:
If the pixel clock information is changed or removed in the EDID of the Shimian -- by means of an EDID editor and flashing it via Powerstrip -- can it be overclocked just like the CatLeap?
The EDID has nothing to do with what the monitor will accept. The monitor doesn't care about the EDID. It's just there to tell the computer what resolutions to use.

Wowowow this is really tempting. Thinking of upgrading from my 3 20wmgx2s, cause theyre so small. I prefer glossy or atleast semi glossy with very low input lag.

Which monitor would that be? Mannn i need a push to get one of these

This post over at OCN pretty much sums it up.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/...mian-qh270-and-catleap-q270/870#post_16616263

Catleap
Pros
100Hz is possible
buttons at the front

Cons
5.5 inches from desk to bottom of screen is a bit too high
High Defect rate
Monitor Leans to the right

Achieva
Pros
4.5 inches from desk to the bottom of the screen is near perfect
5W speakers
Every monitor without the Tempered Glass is near perfect
30 increments for brightness control

Cons
buttons at the rear
might be limited to 70Hz?

Unless you really want the Tempered Glass badly, it offers no advantages over the regular Shimian because they are all glossy. The Hazro Tempered Glass version also suffered from having dust particles under the glass.

Thanks for that post. I'm still wondering if they have significant input lag...

Also, What does tempered glass mean? Excuse my ignorance...

I am tempted to pick up 3 Achieva non tempered glass. I do like the Catleap stand better though.

I am tempted to pick up 3 Achieva non tempered glass. I do like the Catleap stand better though.

Aye, the Catleap stand looks better, but I figure I can hit up a local store to buy a better stand that has height adjustment in either case, and the Achieva atm is down to $396.90 from one seller.

Thanks for that post. I'm still wondering if they have significant input lag...

Also, What does tempered glass mean? Excuse my ignorance...

tempered glass is also stronger than standard glass, so it stands to reason the panel itself has slightly more protection from physical projectiles... so IF it comes dust free and pixel perfect, it would be a nicer option imo.

Anyone try the Catleap Q270 without the speakers, and see if it goes to 85+ hz like the one with speakers @ 2560x1440? I.E. anyone know if it's the same panel or supposed to be?

Last edited:
Mine is the one without speakers. The hardware should be the same. In fact, it still has the volume buttons, and they actually respond (power light blinks red), but there are no speakers to control, and there's no audio input jack.

They claim 6ms response, but that doesnt tell us much

That is the response time, not the input lag. The displays without OSD/extra inputs don't having scaling so they will not have any input lag. Those with the OSD/extra inputs will have around 18ms (1 frame).

Back