Acer Predator XR341CK 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync

can i buy this yet to go with my new titan-x geez acer get on it

Subscribed... I'll be watching this as well.

That was exactly my thoughts. How the hell to drive 3440x1440 144Hz. 5 megapixels.

VRAM speed will be very important. Three Titan X's! :D

Well, you better hold out for fiji xt or pascal sometime next year:cool: #HBM

Acer is not going to release any info for a while. They do not want to steal sales from their 27" Predator model that just started shipping.

Subbed for info on the final specs, but I suspect that by the time this releases I'll be living happily in 40" 4K land. Still, this would undoubtedly be a sweet monitor if it has the features that have been rumored.

Acer is not going to release any info for a while. They do not want to steal sales from their 27" Predator model that just started shipping.

Personally i think Acer should add a 24"/25" 2560x1440 Predator to the product mix, with a size more suitable for triple monitor setups.

Sadly, I think there could be a lot of truth to this.

I heard they are just becoming available in europe but not widely spread yet:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-077-AC

and they aren't in the States or Asia yet as far as I know either.

If they came out with real specs and a release date for a 34" 3440 x 1440 144hz IPS w/ g-sync, I think that'd torpedo the sales of the 27" model

I hope this will have a VA panel, I've read good things about the new samsung panel for example.
I wonder if it can be overdriven fast enough for good strobing (or decently low blur in gsync mode).
That would make it the first challenger to the FG2421!

I hope this will have a VA panel, I've read good things about the new samsung panel for example.
I wonder if it can be overdriven fast enough for good strobing (or decently low blur in gsync mode).
That would make it the first challenger to the FG2421!

I am not that optimist with the 34" VA panel from samsung:

heavier matte coating than LG IPS

outputs 58 cd/m² at 0% brightness. compare that to 15 cd/m² of the dell 3415

sRGB coverage is sub par for a 2014 VA panel.

on the plus side it comes with a VESA mount , has very low input lag and good overdrive results in standard mode. I do consider it expensive at $1200, a price range of 32"-40" 3840x2160 screens.

I am not that optimist with the 34" VA panel from samsung:

heavier matte coating than LG IPS

outputs 58 cd/m² at 0% brightness. compare that to 15 cd/m² of the dell 3415

sRGB coverage is sub par for a 2014 VA panel.

on the plus side it comes with a VESA mount , has very low input lag and good overdrive results in standard mode. I do consider it expensive at $1200, a price range of 32"-40" 3840x2160 screens.

That was the review i read, they said "The screen surface used on the monitor is very light matte (some users may refer to it as ‘semi-glossy’). "

"Very good contrast performance creating an atmosphere in dark game and movie scenes that other LCD panel types can’t match – and a screen surface that didn’t provide an overly grainy look to light shades"

"Observing a completely black screen in a dark room revealed just how good the black uniformity of the screen is, as there was no noticeable backlight bleeding or clouding. It’s worth noting that our test unit was a random retail sample rather than some specially selected ‘golden sample’."

"The luminance uniformity of the screen was very good. "

"The Samsung S34E790C features an enhanced phosphor WLED backlight, which allows the monitor to offer strong sRGB coverage. You can see in the 2D representation of the gamut below that the monitor offers very little sRGB under-coverage and a bit of over-coverage."

"(Surprisingly) good responsiveness for a VA panel and pleasingly low input lag, providing a well-rounded gaming experience"

All of this sounds like good news to me. The quote you mentioned isn't even in the review? ("heavier matte coating than LG IPS"), are you sure you didn't mix something up?

The downside they mention is: "Some weaknesses in pixel responsiveness here and there and only support for up to 60Hz at the native resolution"
So maybe it is not viable for 120/144hz.. although that is contradictory with the "(Surprisingly) good responsiveness for a VA panel" part.

Last edited:
I have a pre-order in for the XB270HU, but now I'm thinking I might hold off for the XR341CK. As someone who can't stand narrow FOV, does 21:9 have a naturally wider FOV vs 16:9 at a given games default FOV setting? In other words, will I still need to rely on Flawless Widescreen or Widescreen Fixer is increase the FOV?

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s34e790c/

This review has no objective measure of pixel response times, but 9 pictures comparing overdrive settings. It compares the anti-glare coating with the competing Lg panel:

"The screen surface used on LG’s current 34” curved AH-IPS panel is a touch lighter, imparting even less graininess"

Anyway using either vIPS or VA panel, this is a heavily anticipated monitor. 3440x1440@144Hz is the limit of the current generation of graphics using display port 1.2 and when Acer launches this beast it will be the bleeding edge of gaming tech. Of course going VA would avoid the main complain of IPS usres: backlight bleeding. The higher contrast would also benefit using it for watching movies and reading, but also could lessen the appeal for professional visual editing user due to horizontal gamma shift.

Has the existence of this monitor actually been confirmed by Acer? I can't find any official press release and all sources point back to TFT Central.

TFTCentral has a relationship with Acer, hence how they got the 27" Predator so fast for review. I suspect the info was given out quite early in the design phase and I wouldn't expect a press release until the summer.

Thanks Vega, good to know its not vaporware.....yet. Damn frustrating waiting for all these new monitors to hit the market, no point in upgrading hardware until then.

I have a pre-order in for the XB270HU, but now I'm thinking I might hold off for the XR341CK. As someone who can't stand narrow FOV, does 21:9 have a naturally wider FOV vs 16:9 at a given games default FOV setting? In other words, will I still need to rely on Flawless Widescreen or Widescreen Fixer is increase the FOV?

I'm a 3440 x 1440 21:9 gamer (LG curved 34")

You don't need 3rd party programs anymore. Pretty much all modern games support 3440 x 1440

The main concern I had is that any games that used to get by using the windowed mode for multi-monitor gaming aspects won't work for wide aspect ratios in g-sync mode since g-sync only works in fullscreen (and not windowed + full screen either). However dual gpus didn't always work well historically in windowed mode either. Hopefully most games have native full-screen 3440x1440 mode now or with widescreenfixer or manual ini/config editing.

This may be a wrong thread question, but it is kind of relevant:

While it is truth that new games will offer 3440x1440 native support, what can we do with the ones that do not. This monitor requires multi-GPU solutions, which, AFAIK, do not work on windowed mode. Will those older games work in full screen with black side bars, or will it horribly stretch the content?:confused:

The monitor will probably have scaling options. Nvidia display drivers have them as well if not

I'd rather play 16:9 with bars than get added input lag with scaler.

I'd rather play 16:9 with bars than get added input lag with scaler.

NVidia gpu scaling doesn't really add any input lag, it just adds to the render time. The time it adds is negligible. So if you're getting 130 fps with GPU scaling it will be the exact same input lag as with 130 fps at native resolution.

And actually when you're scaling you're scaling up. So you're rendering less pixels which means a higher frame rate and less input lag than you would be getting at your native resolution.

And you can set the scaling to maintain aspect ratio so you still have bars if you want.

I'm a 3440 x 1440 21:9 gamer (see sig). And yeah like all (?) gamers I obviously play only in full screen mode.

Almost never have a problem with 3440 x 1440 support. The following titles (all games I own and have played) work fine:
WarThunder, Guild Wars2, Far Cry 4, Half Life 2, DCS, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, Sim City (the new one), Wargame Red Dragon, X-Plane, Fallout New Vegas (requires *.ini edit), World of Tanks (was patched recently to support 3440 x 1440), Tropico 5, Dragon Age Inquisition, Rome Attila, all the Men of War games, all the Company of Heroes games, BF4, CoD games, Team Fortress 2, Crysis 3. Thats just off the top of my head.

Games that didnt work 3440 x 1440:
The Red Orchestra FPS series. Either have to play at 2560 x 1440 with black bars on the side, or do an ini edit and the game looks bad when "stretched" to 3440 x 1440

Really if you are talking about modern games, they all support it.

It's worrying that there isn't any news about this monitor...

I imagine Acer wants to concentrate of selling their 2560x1440 IPS gsync monitor at the moment. Press releases about this would just make some buyers sit on the fence instead. Of course they never fully confirmed that this would be 3440x1440 144hz to my knowledge.

It's worrying that there isn't any news about this monitor...

+1.

I'm ITCHING to get a new monitor, got the titan X and 60Hz is just killing me. I already have 27" and i like the nicer aesthetics like metal and glass. I need a bigger screen to justify an upgrade.

I don't think this is going to fit on my current monitor stands. They're made for monitor's up to 28". Anyone know of any hex stands that will be able to fit this beast?

I don't think this is going to fit on my current monitor stands. They're made for monitor's up to 28". Anyone know of any hex stands that will be able to fit this beast?

you are assuming that a curved 34" screen with have a vesa mount:confused:

big question: what kind of tcon is this monitor using? I do understand the bitrate is inside DP 1.2 limits, but is there actually any tcon capable of driving this biblical proportions wave of pixels?

I am using the Dell MSA14 with the Dell U3415W, which is also a 34" 21:9. The dell arm is also does not mention support for screen over 28". Just check whether or not the weight of the monitor without stand is supported by your monitor arm and you are good.

I am using the Dell MSA14 with the Dell U3415W, which is also a 34" 21:9. The dell arm is also does not mention support for screen over 28". Just check whether or not the weight of the monitor without stand is supported by your monitor arm and you are good.

I need a hex stand or clamp, a single arm will not work for me. The top row has to be able to fit 2 24" screens and the Predator.

I'll be getting rid of the one on the top right, putting the Predator in the middle, and shifting the other screens around.

J2GdPGF.jpg

If this thing isn't VESA mountable I'll be pissed.

Got 3 Titan X's waiting on the baby to release. Really not feeling the 4K selections.
Do we even have en estimated release date? Fall? Winter? 2016?

I need a hex stand or clamp, a single arm will not work for me. The top row has to be able to fit 2 24" screens and the Predator.

I'll be getting rid of the one on the top right, putting the Predator in the middle, and shifting the other screens around.

J2GdPGF.jpg

If this thing isn't VESA mountable I'll be pissed.

Omg what desk is that!!?? I would LOVE that thing

Only thinig I don't like about what has been rumored with spec is the curved screen. I can't stand this new push for curved monitors/TV's. Another stupid gimmick just like 3D, quattron (4 LED bs), and other junk that they have added to tv's which has done zero to get them any closer to a reference image. The curved image just warps the geometry for me when looking anywhere near the top and bottom of the image.

I'd like to just have a reference level image such as Pioneer kuro, and now OLED screens with the combo of 144hz and Gsync. The rest is nonsense.

That would depend on how far from the screen you are. If you are using the screen for immersion the sides are usually in your periphery most of the time. Even on a 16:9, 27" screen viewed within a few feet the ends are edged into your periphery/non-focal view. Curved screens aren't made for graphics work they are made for games and movies, and in this monitor's case especially for games at 144hz + variable hz (and not VA for movie blackndepth and detail-in-blacks).
Most (if not all) games don't utilize the greater color spectrum of ips panels either, but they do benefit from the uniformity of ips.

Back