Acer 120Hz 23.6" 1920x1080 LCD... but it's orange!

I wouldn't keep that in my house...looks like it'll transform and go looking for the All Spark, then how would I play my FPS?

What if I wanted to watch TV/movies/videos on a 120Hz computer monitor? Is there any software or hardware that can do real-time 24fps-to-120fps and/or 60fps-to-120fps interpolation, and do it just as well as TVs that have this feature built in, but with modularity?

What if I wanted to watch TV/movies/videos on a 120Hz computer monitor? Is there any software or hardware that can do real-time 24fps-to-120fps and/or 60fps-to-120fps interpolation, and do it just as well as TVs that have this feature built in, but with modularity?
PowerDVD does something that looks similar to interpolating if you enable it.

Couldn't wait on this monitor because my old monitor was dieing.

Got the Samsung 2233rz. I can not tell you the love I have for it.

I was gaming on a 32" [cheap] LCD that was two years old, running 4:3 resolutions on a 16:9 TV.

Now everything is the right proportion ebcause the res is right. Everything looks better at the higeher res.

I forgot what it was like to game on a CRT because I was used to crappy LCD.

Buy in confidence the Samsung. I will probably get a 24 or 26 in 120hz within a year or two once they get even better.

The test pictures/results just showed up on the digitalversus faceoff page. The default colors seem to be much better than the samsung and a little ahead of the viewsonic. If the input lag and responsiveness check out we might have ourselves a winner. Still I think I'll hold out for LG's panel since I don't want to spend years looking at the 'gamer' bezel.

Finally some news/progress on 1920x1080 120hz (or any other NEW 120hz monitors).

1080 is cool if you are watching movies, playing console games.

TBH sucks for me that has been playing on a 16:10 monitor for the last year and a half. I am not making the switch untill I am forced to.

Seems like something that replaced the G24 in their line up.

Why does the delay compared to crt hit 50ms... that is atrocious yet it also has a min of 0.. I was kinda hoping for it to be almost zero. Still using the gaming comparison it looks pretty good so who knows.

I will certainly look at buying one if the price is right.

Why does the delay compared to crt hit 50ms... that is atrocious yet it also has a min of 0.. I was kinda hoping for it to be almost zero. Still using the gaming comparison it looks pretty good so who knows.

I will certainly look at buying one if the price is right.

Those kind of input lag tests that rely on average are not really accurate. Most likely it is closer to the 0 than 50 anyway, otherwise it wouldnt work with 3d glasses.

The test pictures/results just showed up on the digitalversus faceoff page. The default colors seem to be much better than the samsung and a little ahead of the viewsonic. If the input lag and responsiveness check out we might have ourselves a winner. Still I think I'll hold out for LG's panel since I don't want to spend years looking at the 'gamer' bezel.

Thats pretty crappy input lag especially for 120hz. Compare these two, a good 1080p 60hz asus vs the acer: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=150&ma2=38&mo2=626&p2=7268&ph=12

Granted it isnt much of a test. It does say they used a CRT and a high-speed camera but theres no real data and I'm not seeing any testing on the net yet about the GD245HQ.

They are definitely ramping up for release of this monitor. See http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html
"In addition, view movies and digital photographs in eye popping 3D. Now supporting full HD 1080p clarity with ACER GD245HQ and GD235HZ LCDs."
I dont care for the 3dvision focus myself, overmarketed IMO, they should just slap a big 120hz label on these monitors and that will sell them just fine. Needs more marketing emphasis on 120, less on 3d.

Last edited:
What I dont understand is why more companies arent making more 120hz lcd's? (real 120, not the lcd tv bs) I know A LOT of gamers who would pay well for a decent 120hz monitor if one were to exist. It's been a year and the only choices we have so far are the rz2233 (which I dont like), the vx2265 (which is broken), and the vx2268 (which is not available in NA). And now this hideous thing. At this rate OLEDs will be a viable purchase by the time they come out with anything good.

Is it really that hard to make these monitors? Or are the companies just retarded and dont want my monies?

I like your post. Also, Apple screens are one of the only LCD backlit desktop display and they are also one of the only IPS screen out there too. It is very sad when Apple leads the industry. Seems the monitor industry only cares about one market and that is the market of the lowest economic bracket.

I am one who also hates 16:9 but at Best Buy, Costco and most if not every b&m store, that is all they sell and it is because 16:9 is cheap and TN is cheap and they combine to make the cheapest monitors out there.

I am thinking about buying the IPS 1920x1200 Dell U2410 because I think that may be the last of the 16x10 full HD monitor that is good.

Couldn't wait on this monitor because my old monitor was dieing.

Got the Samsung 2233rz. I can not tell you the love I have for it.

I was gaming on a 32" [cheap] LCD that was two years old, running 4:3 resolutions on a 16:9 TV.

Now everything is the right proportion ebcause the res is right. Everything looks better at the higeher res.

I forgot what it was like to game on a CRT because I was used to crappy LCD.

Buy in confidence the Samsung. I will probably get a 24 or 26 in 120hz within a year or two once they get even better.
I'm glad you liked it, was worried a bit about steering you in the wrong direction. I would really like a 120hz monitor in 1920x1080 or higher resolution that is 25" or larger, I prefer larger pixels so I can sit further away. I doubt it will happen any time soon though.

I'm glad you liked it, was worried a bit about steering you in the wrong direction. I would really like a 120hz monitor in 1920x1080 or higher resolution that is 25" or larger, I prefer larger pixels so I can sit further away. I doubt it will happen any time soon though.

Yes good call. I am very happy with my choice. I even overclocked my PC now to push more FPS out of my games. I want to run TF2 at 120FPS steady.

CS:S is awesome with fps_max 120 set. Obviously the games graphics are outdate, but the responsiveness is awesome [running everything on high].

the other tests in that link seem to show the Acer is superior in some ways.

Yes good call. I am very happy with my choice. I even overclocked my PC now to push more FPS out of my games. I want to run TF2 at 120FPS steady.

CS:S is awesome with fps_max 120 set. Obviously the games graphics are outdate, but the responsiveness is awesome [running everything on high].

Use Quantums config...if its working with the newest update

http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/forums/thread/400075/

What's all the excitement for?

I see no evidence that this is a real 120 Hz monitor that accepts 120Hz signals.

It just looks like another interpolator.

I see no evidence that this is a real 120 Hz monitor that accepts 120Hz signals.

Wow, this thread would't even exist if it were some type of 120hz interpolation like the ones used on TV's.

Sooo you are saying that the samsung 2233RZ doesn't has a real 120hz?

Based on what evidence?

As far as I can see, based on the lack of supporting evidence. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Sooo you are saying that the samsung 2233RZ doesn't has a real 120hz?

Hrm....

I see the 2233RZ also touts this Nvidia 3D stuff. That's pretty promising then for this monitor.

Now just make it S-PVA or IPS please.

Nah, scratch that, I'm still waiting for OLED, unless one of these comes out in good form (120 Hz, 1080p, SPVA or IPS, and CHEAP)

Last edited:
did you even read the artical??

means true 120Hz

Yes, I read the "artical" (wow, you killed that one.)

Can someone explain how "compatible with GeForce 3D Vision " means, "can accept and display 120Hz inputs?" The connection doesn't seem clear to me.

Yes, I read the "artical" (wow, you killed that one.)

Can someone explain how "compatible with GeForce 3D Vision " means, "can accept and display 120Hz inputs?" The connection doesn't seem clear to me.

It's simple. 3D shutter glasses effectively cut the effective frame rate of a display in half.

In order for the 3D effect to work and not appear choppy, the displays must run at a smooth framerate at over 120hz. Needless to say, this requires a fast panel or display.

Therefore, if a display has 3D vision support, I think it is safe to assume that it is equipped properly for 120hz.

This is also why we probably aren't seeing this technology used in anything but TN panels as far as LCDs go.

What he said, it does accept 120Hz input. It's why we're so excite.

Also PVA and even IPS aren't quite fast enough to display 120Hz without noticeable image retention. They would be fine for 2D@120Hz but it would ruin the 3D effect because shutter glasses require distinct images for every other frame. So, until OLED displays TN is a necessary evil in this category. (excluding DLP and CRT screens)

What do you guys prefer an 3x1 eyefinity setup or 1080p + 120hz? for hardcore gaming of course

I'm in the 16:10 highly preferred camp and see perhaps the new 27" 2560 16:9 as the way out of the battle between the two standards. I think folks just don't want less than 1200 vertical, so really higher resolution panels are the way out.

Mind you I think, given a computer's many uses, that it's crazy to limit resolution for one use that hampers the other uses, but I do understand manufacturing needs for homogeneity. It makes prices lower when you think about it. But I still wish for 16:10 and will buy it wherever it's an option.

Higher resolution panels and 120hz are going to push the Displayport standard out into the open as well. Worth considering if you plan to own any current panel for a couple of PC builds.

r_3dsky 0 will help keep the fps high in CS:S and TF2. And you need to jack up your cpu as high as it will go, those game are really cpu-limited. TF2 is multithreaded now so it doesn't need as many mhz but in CS:S even with my old E8400 at 4.0 I still saw it drop below 100 fps some times, and with 100 tick and 100 rates that's a no no :)

I wouldn't use fps_max 120, just turn vsync off and let it ride. fps_max set to low values like 120 has been known to mess with mouse input. 300 should be the minimum you set it to.

it's not an interpolator. 120hz lcd monitors are the real deal. seems like every time one of these threads pops up someone comes in to tell us how humans can't see more than 60 fps or that it's not really 120hz. let us put this to rest.

it's not an interpolator. 120hz lcd monitors are the real deal. seems like every time one of these threads pops up someone comes in to tell us how humans can't see more than 60 fps or that it's not really 120hz. let us put this to rest.

Not reading the thread FTL :)

I think it was already in the thread about how it was 120hz or it might have been the 2233rz thread....either way.....

r_3dsky 0 will help keep the fps high in CS:S and TF2. And you need to jack up your cpu as high as it will go, those game are really cpu-limited. TF2 is multithreaded now so it doesn't need as many mhz but in CS:S even with my old E8400 at 4.0 I still saw it drop below 100 fps some times, and with 100 tick and 100 rates that's a no no :)

I wouldn't use fps_max 120, just turn vsync off and let it ride. fps_max set to low values like 120 has been known to mess with mouse input. 300 should be the minimum you set it to.

Well without vsync CSS looks odd when i strafe. Turned on vsync and looks way better, still running 120 fps anyway in CSS.

I will try the r_3dsky command in TF2. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, unless Asus or LG have a history of surprising us with new products out of the blue. The GD235HZ is starting to get reviews and (by our standards) should be out soon.

Nah, scratch that, I'm still waiting for OLED, unless one of these comes out in good form (120 Hz, 1080p, SPVA or IPS, and CHEAP)

Waiting for OLED eh? Be prepared to wait a long, long, long, long, long time. Unless you don't mind paying a hefty premium (I mean the kind of premium that makes today's premium IPS panels look like plastic toys) you are not going to get a 23-23" OLED for a long while. Even if you don't mind the premium, you will still have to wait a while.

Oh and wait for the inevitable "OLED has image retention / OLED has burn in / OLED doesn't last as long as xyz / OLED ate my dog" threads to start, once they finally become available.

Well without vsync CSS looks odd when i strafe. Turned on vsync and looks way better, still running 120 fps anyway in CSS.
try it with vsync OFF and fps_max 300 and tell me if you see the oddness, because I don't.

Yes, unless Asus or LG have a history of surprising us with new products out of the blue. The GD235HZ is starting to get reviews and (by our standards) should be out soon.

Do you have a link to those reviews? My google searching has revealed just previews.

"starting to get", not "has"

Digitalversus has one and I'm just being naive and assuming there are a few more in the wild.

I know this sounds kinda weird, in a "I heard from a guy who heard..." sorta way, but there's a guy from Taiwan over at the nVidia forums asking for help in the 3D Vision section for setting this monitor up (which also revealed that the latest beta drivers don't support the monitor, and that v1.17 of the 3D Vision CD does). Apparently, he picked one up from a local store.

I guess they're already out overseas, and should hopefully be here in a few weeks. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a stinker like my FP241VW wound up being.

Back