Acer 120Hz 23.6" 1920x1080 LCD... but it's orange!

Hey guys,

I'm getting this delivered today. Can someone give me some newbie tips for this monitor, settings etc?

I decided on this because the Alienware and Asus cost to much and the LG is still missing in action. Also the overall reviews for this LCD were favorable for the most part. The only concern I have is picture quality (said not to be as good as the Asus/Alienware) and this overdrive issue I'm reading about in the last couple posts here.

Forgot to add that its 23.6" and not 23". That's plus to IMHO.

When looking at the specs for the ASUS 120hz it says that analog frequency is way higher than digital frequency. Woudln't this mean that to get 120hz you would need to use an analog setup?

I'm confused here.

Analog Signal Frequency: 24~140 KHz(H)/ 50~122 Hz(V)
Digital Signal Frequency: 24~83 KHz(H)/ 50~85 Hz(V)

Last edited:
Has anyone with the Acer GD235HZ monitor managed to use it as a TV when using the HDMI interface. The reason I ask is because my TV just died so I'm without a TV, so I tried connecting a HDMI cable from my Sony HD Recorder to my Acer GD235HZ monitor to use as a TV, but the screen is split in half with a vertical line up the middle and one side is darker than the other. I tried turning off overdrive and the vertical line is gone, but the picture turns purple. Is the HDMI connection on my monitor faulty somehow or do I need a special type of HDMI cable? Or is it simply not meant to be used as a TV. When using my computer and playing games it works perfect, apart from 3D which I haven't tried yet as I don't have the 3D Glasses. It's only since I tried using the HDMI interface that I noticed the problem. Is my monitor faulty?

Theres a post at nvidia forums that claim the text sharpness problem is due to sharpness, not RTC (the real term for overdrive, since overdrive is also underdrive when the crystals are untwisting):

- here's an experiment to show that OVERDRIVE does not cause the DISPLAY SHARPNESS
enter service menu
switch OD to OFF
go to Reset, hit the 3rd button
the sharpness should go away, and brightness should increase
switch OD to ON
go to Reset, hit the 3rd button
the brightness should decrease, sharpness doesnt come back
exit service menu (but dont restart the monitor)

go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php
notice that there's no oversharpening (the image is uniform gray when looked from distance, no blocks)
play a 3d game
notice that there's no ghosting (OVERDRIVE IS ACTIVE)

all in all, they goofed up with this monitor's firmware

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=160941&st=140

There are also report that a contrast setting will fix the sharpness issue:

- I noticed (with OD on) that ghosting disappeares at contrast <= 42

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=160941&st=80

Can anyone confirm these? At work I get same sharpness issue with the text on a HP 2309 if the sharpness setting in the menus are set to high. I guess i'll get a lg or alienware due to this and input lag reports.

- Despite being 120hz, scrolling text and little things, like moving windows and the cursor on the desktop, become a blur. What proved to be hell to me was constantly losing my cursor on a white background when I moved it around, something that's never happened to me before on any screen I've used.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=157365

argh i guess the lg is the only one left, or wait for asus 27" or reports on input lag on the asus 23", or the viewsonic led

- Despite being 120hz, scrolling text and little things, like moving windows and the cursor on the desktop, become a blur. What proved to be hell to me was constantly losing my cursor on a white background when I moved it around, something that's never happened to me before on any screen I've used.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=157365

argh i guess the lg is the only one left, or wait for asus 27" or reports on input lag on the asus 23", or the viewsonic led

Just a note for anyone else looking, that quote is about the alienware not the acer.

I've had the acer since February now, it's a keeper. There's been a ton of nitpicking and misinformation (especially re: input lag) on the acer but honestly its all minor crap and doesn't matter for actual use. If you are a gamer just get a damn 120hz already, its a major upgrade.

Nice shellshocker, if I didn't already own it I would of bought it now. Tempting for the 3D surround though.

Nice shellshocker, if I didn't already own it I would of bought it now. Tempting for the 3D surround though.

Thats the lowest I've ever seen it, by the time anyone reads this though the shellshocker deal will be over.

This isnt a monitor I would buy three of because they cant really go vertical.

Thats the lowest I've ever seen it, by the time anyone reads this though the shellshocker deal will be over.

This isnt a monitor I would buy three of because they cant really go vertical.

Cheap stand at Monoprice.com, problem solved. If I ever do a 3 monitor set up I will use a 3 monitor stand, I couldn't deal with loosing all that desk space otherwise. The stand that comes on this monitor is cheap.

Can you run 3 of these at 120Hz? If so how? I noticed the guy above has his running at 120Hz, but without 3 Dual Link DVI outputs it would be impossible correct?

120mhz with a hidden game mode like most LCDs that silently switches to 60mhz when playing games. We don't want to sacrifice that response time now do we. But they're good for 3d gaming I guess which will run at 120mhz.

120mhz with a hidden game mode like most LCDs that silently switches to 60mhz when playing games. We don't want to sacrifice that response time now do we. But they're good for 3d gaming I guess which will run at 120mhz.
tfts won't secretly switch the frequency on their own
something like this is always caused by poor programming on microsoft's or the game dev's side

which screen u guys would suggest for fps gaming?

Edit: sorry wrong threat...

Hi all.

I got this screen yesterday, and I've found something interesting. When I'm at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, the screen is pretty evenly lit with typical light bleeding / leakage. Interestingly, when I bump the refresh rate up to 100Hz, 110Hz, and 120Hz, the bottom-right quarter of the screen jumps up in brightness. Does anyone else know about this? Is there a workaround? I speculate that the screen is boosting brightness for 3D mode (even though I just want 120Hz in 2D mode), and it's' just doing a terrible job.

I've played with preset colors and custom colors, as well as brightness and contrast. I also changed the OD and HPD options in the service menu. The only difference I see in the service menu between 60Hz and 120Hz is the Panel Span and Step, which aren't adjustable. So far I can't seem to control the boosted brightness in 120Hz.

60Hz displaying a black screen:
PmIiSl.jpg

120Hz displaying the same black screen:
xGm4Bl.jpg

Last edited:
Back