Acer 120Hz 23.6" 1920x1080 LCD... but it's orange!

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
If Asus's 23.6" 120Hz monitor remains AWOL, Acer might end up being the first to release a 120Hz 23.6" monitor, giving monitor buyers a horrible dilemma - can they put up with the embarrassingly tacky bright pumpkin orange paint job?

http://3dvision-blog.com/acer-is-preparing-a-24-inch-120hz-full-hd-gaming-monitor/

At least you can get this hideous orange-and-blue computer case to go with it. :rolleyes:

Edit to add current information:

The monitor is the Acer GD235HZ (US version) or GD235HQ (Europe version); both versions are the same except for where they are sold. If a mod would put the model number in the thread title, that would be great.

More recent pictures, showing that cooler heads have prevailed and only the base is orange while the bezel is black:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/18.htm#acer_g245
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1262186146

Second edit: This is the GD235, not the GD245!
Price at release in early Feb 2010 was $399.
The GD235HZbid is on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222

Last edited:
TN + 16:9 = Fail.
Maybe this monitor is targeted at color blind peoples. ;)

it's a shame people aren't learning to accept the popularity of 16:9 panels regardless of why they prefer 16:10 since 16:9 seems to be slowly taking over, even with newer PVA (Samsung F2380) and IPS (NEC 23") monitors

regardless, another 120hz monitor is nice for gamers, and the fact that it's a bump up from 1680x1050 is also nice

What I dont understand is why more companies arent making more 120hz lcd's? (real 120, not the lcd tv bs) I know A LOT of gamers who would pay well for a decent 120hz monitor if one were to exist. It's been a year and the only choices we have so far are the rz2233 (which I dont like), the vx2265 (which is broken), and the vx2268 (which is not available in NA). And now this hideous thing. At this rate OLEDs will be a viable purchase by the time they come out with anything good.

Is it really that hard to make these monitors? Or are the companies just retarded and dont want my monies?

16:9, 16:10 I don't care.

But what does matter is that it's.... orange...

(The voice of George Castanza cries out)
Who cares if 16:9 is bad or good or if it's a TN? It's ORANGE!

it's a shame people aren't learning to accept the popularity of 16:9 panels regardless of why they prefer 16:10 since 16:9 seems to be slowly taking over, even with newer PVA (Samsung F2380) and IPS (NEC 23") monitors

regardless, another 120hz monitor is nice for gamers, and the fact that it's a bump up from 1680x1050 is also nice
Looks like we're going to have to accept 16:9 whether we like it or not.

Think of your other statement this way: As much as some people would enjoy the bump up from 1680 to 1920 horizontal pixels, there are others who are disappointed to lose 120 vertical pixels ;).

But do i consider 16:9 a fail for monitors? Not so much, i like the immersive feeling you get from extra width. Browsing webpages however i prefer more vertical height. There's tradeoffs....as usual.

If Asus's 23.6" 120Hz monitor remains AWOL, Acer might end up being the first to release a 120Hz 23.6" monitor, giving monitor buyers a horrible dilemma - can they put up with the embarrassingly tacky bright pumpkin orange paint job?

http://3dvision-blog.com/acer-is-preparing-a-24-inch-120hz-full-hd-gaming-monitor/

At least you can get this hideous orange-and-blue computer case to go with it. :rolleyes:

:eek:

Love it!

Goes well with my Hideous truck!

I would so like to mount that in the interior instead of the current low res LCD. Damn. What a beauty!

tbh I don't care if it's orange. I care how much it costs and how well it performs (input lag, etc). If its not too expensive and performs well it could be bright pink and I'd still seriously consider getting one.

Don't think 16:9 is a big problem either - I mean the rest of the forum is going mad about eye infinity (with something like a 48:10 aspect ratio).

What I dont understand is why more companies arent making more 120hz lcd's? (real 120, not the lcd tv bs) I know A LOT of gamers who would pay well for a decent 120hz monitor if one were to exist. It's been a year and the only choices we have so far are the rz2233 (which I dont like), the vx2265 (which is broken), and the vx2268 (which is not available in NA). And now this hideous thing. At this rate OLEDs will be a viable purchase by the time they come out with anything good.

Is it really that hard to make these monitors? Or are the companies just retarded and dont want my monies?

This.

Seems like we've been waiting forever for acceptable 120hz LCD's. I would gladly pay 1000+ for a 120hz 1920x1080 panel (yes, even if it's TN).

This.

Seems like we've been waiting forever for acceptable 120hz LCD's. I would gladly pay 1000+ for a 120hz 1920x1080 panel (yes, even if it's TN).

Please don't say that, you'd be setting a precedent that most of us are not willing to come up to. :p

But then there's those of us who aren't willing to accept the popularity of 16:10... Give me my 1920 x 1440 display already!

that monitor needs a spoiler

If you put a Mugen Honda sticker on it, it does 140hz apparently :)

Orange and glossy doesn't bode well. Turn out all the lights to use this one.

Doesn't mean we have to like it. It's a loss of vertical resolution over the once-standard 16:10 aspect ratio. 16:9's just a manufacturing cost-cutting measure that the average consumer unfortunately does not notice nor care about just because the box or monitor states "1080p". :(

Give me all black or a black and red model, and I'll consider it.

Doesn't mean we have to like it. It's a loss of vertical resolution over the once-standard 16:10 aspect ratio. 16:9's just a manufacturing cost-cutting measure that the average consumer unfortunately does not notice nor care about just because the box or monitor states "1080p". :(

Well it has huge advantage of uniformisation with HDTVs altrough that would be not needed at all if we had proper 1:1 support in 16:10 LCD.

this isn't the first Acer monitor in orange, sadly

and honestly thats probably the sole issue with it (at least that I have), the glossy screen is neither here nor there (I don't like glossy, but my room is normally fairly dark, so it wouldn't actually be a problem))

still, that orange border around your monitor, gah it'd be so obnoxious after a few minutes

lol, you call the 120hz TVs BS obviously not understanding why it is completely not BS and then you go on to want it in computer form?

Your logic is hilarious to me.

120hz has more usage in TVs as it allows proper handling of 24, 30, and 60 FPS content without weird pulldown dividers. The AutoMotion and frame Interpolation is crap on top of that which is highly marketed, and can be considered BS by some, but the frame handling is the main reason and advantage of 120hz TVs. A 120hz monitor might be good for some gamers, but the market is overall much smaller as not that many need to go over 60 or 75hz (FPS).

lol, you call the 120hz TVs BS obviously not understanding why it is completely not BS and then you go on to want it in computer form?

120hz has more usage in TVs as it allows proper handling of 24, 30, and 60 FPS content without weird pulldown dividers. The AutoMotion and frame Interpolation is crap on top of that which is highly marketed, and can be considered BS by some, but the frame handling is the main reason and advantage of 120hz TVs. A 120hz monitor might be good for some gamers, but the market is overall much smaller as not that many need to go over 60 or 75hz (FPS).

Most gamers don't need 5ms grey-grey instead of 8ms or 16ms but they still buy it because it's better. 120hz is a significantly bigger upgrade then the change from 8 to 5ms - it's meant to look noticeably smoother in 2D as well as the advantages in films, games and the capability to use 3D vision. Given similar prices we'll all buy 120hz not 60hz - in the not so distant future most monitors will be 120hz (the high end will be 240hz), same way it's pretty hard to buy an LCD these days with a refresh slower then 5ms.

Most gamers don't need 5ms grey-grey instead of 8ms or 16ms but they still buy it because it's better. 120hz is a significantly bigger upgrade then the change from 8 to 5ms - it's meant to look noticeably smoother in 2D as well as the advantages in films, games and the capability to use 3D vision. Given similar prices we'll all buy 120hz not 60hz - in the not so distant future most monitors will be 120hz (the high end will be 240hz), same way it's pretty hard to buy an LCD these days with a refresh slower then 5ms.

Again it depends on your use, I never was saying that there is no use for it...I think there is plenty of use for it.

Your last comment is off a bit, there are plenty of non-gamer LCDs that have slower than 5ms response times. Lots of the high end graphic and desktop work panels have slower response times as they are not made for gaming but for other things. PVA is notorious for higher refresh rates.

Learn to read.

I specifically said gamers. I already have a 120hz lcd tv and while it's good for movies, it's absolute trash for pc games.

The reason I called lcd tv's 120hz fake is b/c they are really 60hz (maximum frequency signal they accept) with a ghost frame inserted in between.

Most people being ignorant of the advantages of real 120hz is hardly an excuse. I simply want something that performs similar in games to my old crt's that had unfortunately either deteriorated or completely burned out on me (otherwise I would have never replaced them).

And while the market for them might be smaller it is still stupid for other lcd makers to sit on their ass and do nothing while the barely adequate rz2233 or the broken vx2265 sell like hotcakes simply b/c they have no competition at all.

So much 16:9 bashing; what are the arguments for having 16:10 over 16:9, for a dedicated gaming & entertainment (TV, movies) monitor? I've been gaming on a 16:9 for about a year and would never go back to 16:10 (I tried with a 2209wa, and it was too small).

Last edited:
Are you retarded? 16x9 monitors is the best resolution to use for xbox 360 and ps3 games numnuts...get your facts straight. you=fail :D
Also most PC games nowadays are ports of console games (ie Batman Arkham Asylum) which means unless they have an adjustable field of view, they were designed for 16:9. In Batman @ 16:10, I found it to look cropped. Obviously that is the fault of the developer, but even in a game like TF2 which has an adjustable fov, 16:9 looks a lot better imo.

For true 120Hz refresh rate, currently only TN panels are fast enough (B2W2B needs to be below 8ms). With G2G at 2ms and B2W2B at around 5ms. The best IPS or PVA are rated at around 5ms G2G now, with B2W2B exceeding 10ms, is not sufficiently fast enough to truly display images at 120Hz.

With the current tech or at least for the next 2 years, I don't see they would go beyond 120Hz@1080p (or more resolution). One big limitation is bandwitdh of video inputs/connectors... at 240Hz@1080p you are already pushing the limits of Display Port, DP, 1.2 (yet to be implimented, with double the bandwidth of DP 1.0)

I couldn't care less if it's orange if it is 1080p and 120hz :D

Glossy is bad though, but I'm sure as soon as they get the first ones out there will be a flood on 24" 120hz diplays.

I couldn't care less if it's orange if it is 1080p and 120hz :D

Glossy is bad though, but I'm sure as soon as they get the first ones out there will be a flood on 24" 120hz diplays.
All of Acer's monitors look glossy in their promotional pictures but are matte most of the time.

I couldn't find myself buying a monitor thats orange, to bright, and everything else of mine is black. Would be different if I liked bright colors..Lol. Thats a mistake on the company's part.

So much 16:9 bashing; what are the arguments for having 16:10 over 16:9, for a dedicated gaming & entertainment (TV, movies) monitor? I've been gaming on a 16:9 for about a year and would never go back to 16:10 (I tried with a 2209wa, and it was too small).

Even those few looking for a dedicated entertainment monitor might want to play some older games or TV rips that aren't wide format. I don't really have anything against 16:9, but the current 24" and 27" panels are the same as their 16:10 counterparts with some pixels shaved off the top. In this context the letter-boxing just means there's more usable screen-space that something as basic as a web browser can make use of.

Bah, just give me a block. 1920x1920. amiright?

If this existed and were less than a grand I would buy it. Well, maybe not since I don't do that much design, but I would strongly consider it.

Last edited:
Even those few looking for a dedicated entertainment monitor might want to play some older games or TV rips that aren't wide format.
Watching 4:3 media content on a 16:9 and 16:10 screen isn't going to be very different.

Last edited:
For true 120Hz refresh rate, currently only TN panels are fast enough (B2W2B needs to be below 8ms). With G2G at 2ms and B2W2B at around 5ms. The best IPS or PVA are rated at around 5ms G2G now, with B2W2B exceeding 10ms, is not sufficiently fast enough to truly display images at 120Hz.

With the current tech or at least for the next 2 years, I don't see they would go beyond 120Hz@1080p (or more resolution). One big limitation is bandwitdh of video inputs/connectors... at 240Hz@1080p you are already pushing the limits of Display Port, DP, 1.2 (yet to be implimented, with double the bandwidth of DP 1.0)

Point 1 I agree with technically but I've seen an LG 240hz TV that was rated at 5ms and it was very impressive both with sports and console gaming, and I noticed no blur. Model is 42LH55 and it was very nice, and the 240hz didn't give the "soap opera/handycam" effect I've seen with the crappy 120hz processing in the past.

Point 2 is bang on. Current HDMI and single-link DVI have limitations and frame interpolation from TVs adds lag. If 1080p at 120hz is possible then that is a pretty good go-between until Displayport or another connection standard can provide the bandwidth.

Even those few looking for a dedicated entertainment monitor might want to play some older games or TV rips that aren't wide format. I don't really have anything against 16:9, but the current 24" and 27" panels are the same as their 16:10 counterparts with some pixels shaved off the top. In this context the letter-boxing just means there's more usable screen-space that something as basic as a web browser can make use of.

<snip>

Using video card scaling can take care of most 4:3 to 16:9 translations, except for those old DOS games :)

I've used it enough to know that it works pretty well for me (mostly).

I never said scaling was an issue. My point is simply that the current 24"+ 16:10 monitors are simply bigger vertically and that there is some merit to that for games and videos. I shouldn't complain much since most of what I do revolves around shooters, hence I'm following this thread, but I still resent the industry's choice.

Piddly 1920x1080 resolution? Let me know when they come out with a 2560x1200 resolution 30" at 120Hz then we will be talking! Of course it must also have low input lag.

Learn to read.

I specifically said gamers. I already have a 120hz lcd tv and while it's good for movies, it's absolute trash for pc games.

The reason I called lcd tv's 120hz fake is b/c they are really 60hz (maximum frequency signal they accept) with a ghost frame inserted in between.

Most people being ignorant of the advantages of real 120hz is hardly an excuse. I simply want something that performs similar in games to my old crt's that had unfortunately either deteriorated or completely burned out on me (otherwise I would have never replaced them).

And while the market for them might be smaller it is still stupid for other lcd makers to sit on their ass and do nothing while the barely adequate rz2233 or the broken vx2265 sell like hotcakes simply b/c they have no competition at all.

120hz is an Engineer's Solution to the problem of judder & pulldown - elegant, brute-force based, and a workaround that simplified away all the compromises that were made in NTSC and the special features designed to minimize their side-effects. Instead, in 120hz televisions, we got panels that can't actually do 120hz(which is maximum 8.3ms over all spectrum combos), processing gear that can't actually do 120hz, inputs that can't take a 120hz signal, blanking to make 120hz pointless, frame interpolation, anti-judder features which should be completely redundant, etc.

Unfortunately, 3-D shutter glasses (2x60hz) requires the full complement of advantages of true 120hz. Blatantly fraudulent bullet points at Best Buy don't cut it.

Back