A64 owners do you run Windown 64bit edition?

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
Yes/ No? Do you like it? Or why are you sticking with regular XP?

I do... Other than the occasional driver not working, I like it a lot... They just need more themes :p

Oh, But I don't like the fact that I can't play some old school games like... Need for Speed 2/3 :(

Yes, Using Windows XP Pro X64..
Why dunno, it works fine for me. Improvements I see are in Windows Media Player (well as far as i can see) loads faster.. :)

Nope. Drivers still seemed kinda buggy at the time, and I didin't want to 2nd guess whether my oc was stable or not due to driver/os issues. That and I don't feel like giving Microsoft another $130.

I'm running Windows XP Pro 64 and have mixed feelings on it. There are many accessories I have that aren't supported by this OS, such as my phone's data cable, old printer, and old scanner. Also, I've gotten some random blue screens upon boot-up (and only when booting up). Most of the apps that I've installed are placed in the 32-bit program files ("x86" as Windows 64 calls it).

I'm still in my 30-day activation period and am seriously considering on going back to a 32-bit Windows (either 2k or XP Pro) and put the 64-bit version on the shelf for a while until more apps and drivers are 64-bit compatible.

Is there any real performance gains you find? Does normal XP Pro take advantage of 64bit processor or does it treat a 3000+ just like a 1.8Ghz processor?

I heard that if you run 64bit, you need a substantial more amount of memory because it handles everything in 64bit mode, even 32 bit applications, if it's a 32 bit application, it still transfers it in 64 bit.

*shrug*

I'm no expert, but thats what I heard.

My question is what is the actual performance enhancements if any?

Mickelonis said:
I heard that if you run 64bit, you need a substantial more amount of memory because it handles everything in 64bit mode, even 32 bit applications, if it's a 32 bit application, it still transfers it in 64 bit.

*shrug*

I'm no expert, but thats what I heard.

My question is what is the actual performance enhancements if any?
With XP 32 Bit SP2, I start up using 101MB of Ram (Via the task manager)
With XP 64 Bit , I start up using about 280MB or Ram (Via the task manager)

64 Bit Memory addressing is more effincant howver uses more memory.. but we all have 2GB now, so its not a problem :) (If you dont have 2GB you should, its the new pink)

nope. my buddy was running it on his x2 4800 for a while, and finally got sick of all teh stupid incompatabilities.

im still running 32bit... why? cuase its free! :D

i run x64, tho i do still have regular xp installed on here, but only for 1 thing, my printer isn't supported... hp hasn't released any x64 drivers unfortunately, so if i need to print i switch to x64... other than that, its what i run 99.9% of the times, and am not experiencing any "incompatibilities"

I run it because I just want to. I dont have any incopatabilities. All my programs work on it.... I have NOD32 AV 64 Bit, O&O Defrag 64 Bit... all my Progs work under 32bit mode... But I dont have all these accessories like phones, and printers... I just use my computer to use it and it works great.

Well I'm not running X64 yet coz many programs and games wont run on it "yet".
I'll wait for Windows Vista to come out :)

Had windows 64 for about 3 weeks - I had 2 printers and a tv capture card that their respective companies (via email) stated that there were no plans to develope 64 bit drivers. So I reinstalled 32 bit bc I needs me some printin' and watchin'.

Stupid Brother and Hauppauge...jerks.

Not to mention Diablo 2 would install (I've always wanted to beat that game). No worry, it was only 5 bucks from school.

I run it... it works great for me...

It does piss me off that manufacturers refuse to write drivers for x64...

But, if there is some device I need (like my webcam) that there is no x64 driver for, I will install it nativly within a 32bit VMware machine and just use it there. So, with VMware5 driver problems are not a problem on xp64 as long as one doesn't mind flipping back between a VM every once and a while to scan or use the webcam.

The improved memory management and multitasking with xp64 makes it more then worth it. Also, the few 64 bit apps I have run pretty fast. I am just waiting for more.

when BF2 or the next big FPS I play has a 64bit optimized version, I'll switch. So until that happens, if whatever main app/game you use doesn't have a 64bit version, there's no point.

I'd love to try xp64 , but my leet buddies haven't hooked me up with a cracked version yet :) So I guess I'm stuck with regular old vannila xp pro.

fuelvolts said:
Had windows 64 for about 3 weeks - I had 2 printers and a tv capture card that their respective companies (via email) stated that there were no plans to develope 64 bit drivers. So I reinstalled 32 bit bc I needs me some printin' and watchin'.

Not to mention Diablo 2 would install (I've always wanted to beat that game). No worry, it was only 5 bucks from school.

Funny all our Brother printers are supported under x64.

Yes but i do have win xp pro 32 installed on a 2nd hard drive for burning dvd's and playing the occasional game they bitches about x64

No one gave a good answer to this, aside from the WMP comment...

What do you gain by using 64bit edition instead?

No way I'm trying this stuff yet until there is widespread driver support.

n64man120 said:
No one gave a good answer to this, aside from the WMP comment...

What do you gain by using 64bit edition instead?
It has improved memory management and an Improved Processor sceduler.
Thats about all I can think of :) but its good enough for me

Exactly why I haven't moved to 64-bit yet (although I did get a free copy from the AMD tech tour).

I have a Brother HL-1440 laser printer and from what I hear, that drive is built into the OS.

My Hauppauge PVR-150 however, no dice. Hauppauge says they won't be able to relase a 64-bit driver until Conextant releases the tools for them to do it. So go yell at Conextant, not Hauppauge. :p

I used it until I found out my new X-Fi didn't have drivers yet. I also couldn't find my particular HP and had to choose a different model.

Jasonx82 said:
Yes, Using Windows XP Pro X64..
Why dunno, it works fine for me. Improvements I see are in Windows Media Player (well as far as i can see) loads faster.. :)

You know that WMP on X64 is....32bit? ;)

DarkBahamut said:
You know that WMP on X64 is....32bit? ;)
It seems like everything is snappier with XP64, however I did go from a P4C 2.8, 1GB DDR400, XP32 Bit To a X2 4400 OC, 2GB DDR400 and XP64....

:)

i cant say ive noticed much different myself with windows speed on X64, feels about the same to me :p.

Kevlarman said:
My Hauppauge PVR-150 however, no dice. Hauppauge says they won't be able to relase a 64-bit driver until Conextant releases the tools for them to do it. So go yell at Conextant, not Hauppauge. :p
Here's another big check for staying with XP-Pro

USMC2Hard4U said:
It has improved memory management and an Improved Processor sceduler.
Thats about all I can think of :) but its good enough for me

So this translates into more speed and better performance?

n64man120 said:
So this translates into more speed and better performance?
Well I say if you have a system with alot of ram, and more than one Processor, Yes. I greatly benifit because of my Dual Cores. The OS has the processor sceduler from Server 2003 and can handle multiple threads of data better. Also the Memory management is alot better. IT uses more of your system memory if you have it, less paging, more effecent addressing etc...

So does it = better performance. Well with words like Improved, and effecent... i would say the answer speaks for it self. However.. I will say the performance increase is neglegable.... i mean its not somethign you are going to notice IMO. XP64 to me is way smooth and nice :) but I dont know how much that has to do with the OS.. or my 2GB of ram and 2 A64 CPUs....

In my opinion, I would buy it if you were building a new setup like I did. I didnt have an OS... legally to put on this box... my 32 Bit Xp is on my older p4 machine.... so I needed a new Licence. Instead of spending 160$ on an old os, I spent in on a new OS that works perfrectly with my 32 bit software, and will run new 64 bit software and keep me up to date until Vista is offically released.

Just curious, what OS you guys are running in the field?

Glow said:
Just curious, what OS you guys are running in the field?
Marine Corps Wide, Back here in the rear, and when i was forward deployed we us Windows 2000 SP4 Because our machines are older. However the newer machines we are gettings that are Dells P4E 3.2 Machines, and Mobile Pentium M 1.7GHz IBM thinkpads come with XP SP2 But we are still in the transition, and really wont be getting the new computers USMC wide until the beginning of next year

Really, well shit I thought you guys would have something a little more hardcore than a thinkpad. When it comes down to it on a battlefield knowing lives depend on XP that kinda scares me. Or is the version you use somewhat better?

Glow said:
Really, well shit I thought you guys would have something a little more hardcore than a thinkpad. When it comes down to it on a battlefield knowing lives depend on XP that kinda scares me. Or is the version you use somewhat better?
No its just like Corporate. A Mass licence copy or whatever. However that works. But its the same thing

And our servers are Like Dual Xeons with Server 2003 and stuff. Like the Exchange servers etc etc

Glow said:

Umm, I don't know what you are doing to your computer, but XP has been rock stable for me for a couple years now at least. If you use firefox, and keep the adware off, and scan for viruses regularly I doubt you would have a problem.

Back