A64 OC Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol im not i cant afford to fry a chip.

but the good thing now days is chips and mobo's both have pretty good overvolting protection so....
i just needed someone to tell me the safe operating ranges which the gentleman did a few posts back.

i HAD a thermaltake or thermalrite whatever its called 948u with thermaltake 80mm fan and my temps never went above 45 loaded.

i now have a water setup using a swiftech MCW5000 and also a mcw50 in the same loop on the video card.
1 heatercore with 1 120mm fan on it. the fan is pretty slow and im not happy with that only 2500rpms so ill have to get a faster fan.
but temps at idle are roughly 28-30 and load max so far that ive noticed is 35 deg. with one day it was pretty warm in here and it got to 38deg.
and no resevois but i ordered one so hopefully ill be able to add that into the loop and get a little more water flowing.. although the heater core is more than enough of a reservios.

See system in sig. Just got this and still working on getting a higher OC. Just using stock cooler right now, I'm going to upgrade the cooling but haven't decided what one to go with yet.. Pretty much anything good is a ways off, spent my bday money on just the board and proc, time to save up for the cooler now!

v_lestat said:
i HAD a thermaltake or thermalrite whatever its called 948u with thermaltake 80mm fan and my temps never went above 45 loaded.

i now have a water setup using a swiftech MCW5000 and also a mcw50 in the same loop on the video card.
1 heatercore with 1 120mm fan on it. the fan is pretty slow and im not happy with that only 2500rpms so ill have to get a faster fan.
but temps at idle are roughly 28-30 and load max so far that ive noticed is 35 deg. with one day it was pretty warm in here and it got to 38deg.
and no resevois but i ordered one so hopefully ill be able to add that into the loop and get a little more water flowing.. although the heater core is more than enough of a reservios.
Well, it's probably safe to run it at about 1.85..

it wont do anygood ive already went up to 1.65 and had no change.
i ordered my OCZ DDR Booster this morning so ill know by friday is its the ddr voltage holding me back or the chip has reached its limit.
frankly i already know its my ddr cuz when i had this ram in my 3.0ES intel and msi 865PE NEO2 FIS2R i HAD to go to 2.9v to get to 275mhz so that in my eyes shows the ram needs more juice than 2.7v but imsurprised shes holding tight at 2.7v @ 250mhz but then again 250mhz is PC4000 which is exactly what this ram is,, so to go higher ill need some more juice.

I just joined the AMD crowd again. Just bought an Athlon 64 and I am happy with it. I went cheep since this won't be my primary PC, but I am very supprise at how it runs for the money. Right now here is the current setup.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (OEM - 90nm - 939)
Heatsink:Thermaltake A1838
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Running 1.41 Bios)
RAM: 1x512MB PNY PC3200 (Yes, I know I am missing out on the dual banks)
PSU: -off brand- 350W

Overclock:
AMD Athlon 64 - 10*256 with a HT of 4X. - Stock Voltage +3%
Heatsink - Temp stays around low 40C
Ram - Set max speed to 166 - With overclock this runs memory at ~212mhz

Problems found:
Motherboard - Neo2 Plat motherboard has issues setting the HT multiplier. If you hit enter at this prompt you will lock the system. You can bypass this issue by just using the page up/down to change values instead. This was only tested with BIOS versions 1.3, 1.33, and 1.41. (Bios 1.41 seemed a bit better at overclocking than 1.3x versions)

Overall:
I haven't run an AMD since the old 486 systems. I must say that this is a decent chip especially for the money. It is not as fast as my primary system which uses an overclocked P4 3.2ghz chip but I am very happy with it and it stays much cooler than the Prescotts by a wide margin.

Slacky

ahh someone else who agrees with my that the pent 4s are faster.
the A64's one and only use is for gaming, everything else,, the intel's kick ass by a large margin. especially in multitasking. and what seems to be memory management.

v_lestat said:
ahh someone else who agrees with my that the pent 4s are faster.
the A64's one and only use is for gaming, everything else,, the intel's kick ass by a large margin. especially in multitasking. and what seems to be memory management.
And that's exactly why 4000+/fx-55 win at every benchmark except one content creation one(out of several)? ;)

And I really don't see how that extra 16% performance is going to affect your multi-tasking.. especially since it's -4% all the time (for running HT) so the actual gain is closer to 12%... whoop-tee-doo. And that's besides the point that most programs can't be effectively split into two threads.

Slacky said:
I just joined the AMD crowd again. Just bought an Athlon 64 and I am happy with it. I went cheep since this won't be my primary PC, but I am very supprise at how it runs for the money. Right now here is the current setup.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (OEM - 90nm - 939)
Heatsink:Thermaltake A1838
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Running 1.41 Bios)
RAM: 1x512MB PNY PC3200 (Yes, I know I am missing out on the dual banks)
PSU: -off brand- 350W

Overclock:
AMD Athlon 64 - 10*256 with a HT of 4X. - Stock Voltage +3%
Heatsink - Temp stays around low 40C
Ram - Set max speed to 166 - With overclock this runs memory at ~212mhz

Problems found:
Motherboard - Neo2 Plat motherboard has issues setting the HT multiplier. If you hit enter at this prompt you will lock the system. You can bypass this issue by just using the page up/down to change values instead. This was only tested with BIOS versions 1.3, 1.33, and 1.41. (Bios 1.41 seemed a bit better at overclocking than 1.3x versions)

Overall:
I haven't run an AMD since the old 486 systems. I must say that this is a decent chip especially for the money. It is not as fast as my primary system which uses an overclocked P4 3.2ghz chip but I am very happy with it and it stays much cooler than the Prescotts by a wide margin.

Slacky
I've had the same issue in the BIOS with my old Neo Platinum... bios flash fixed it though.

Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz @ 2.5GHz ..stock cooling (4HT 5:4)

1gb pc3200 crucial billitix

Msi k8n neo2 plat

iddqd said:
And that's besides the point that most programs can't be effectively split into two threads.
hehe, i'd suggest you stop talking about things you don't know about.
in sp2, ms wrote a bit of code to let the os take care of multithreading multible programs if the program isn't multithreaded itself, so if you're running one program, there will be no difference, but as soon as you start up a second one, windows will put the other program to the "other" cpu to take advantage of the hyperthreading
(of course this is a simplified version of what goes on, but it gives you the general idea)
if you wanna know more, ars has a nice article about the whole topic

and slacky: that's a pretty respectable overclock for +5% voltage :D

I'd rather not have a space heater inside my case but this isn't the thread for the discussion, keep it about A64 OC Data! :cool:

Impulse said:
I'd rather not have a space heater inside my case but this isn't the thread for the discussion, keep it about A64 OC Data! :cool:
Yes, master. 2.6GHz @ 1.95vcore... :D

i have a 3500 90nm on sokect 939, im thinking of going up by 200mhz, to 3800 ratings. my questions are, what mobo should i get? and is my 2-3-3-8 drr pc3200 ram goodd for an overclcock? any one else try an oc with my specs?

Again, bench from this old 3700
sandracbi.jpg

Ohh, 1.8 is more like it! :D
I should really get myself a 3700+ instead of this 3200+...

iddqd said:
Ohh, 1.8 is more like it! :D
I should really get myself a 3700+ instead of this 3200+...
I ran it with phase changer, no way I can reached it with watercooling ;)

what, 2.8GHz is easily attainable with WC at 1.8vcore. At 2.11vcore, however... :eek:

dfx said:
with good cooling it doesnt matter
according to those experience high vcore guys over @ xtreme.org

CPU nah... bunch of mobo so far though AFAIK :p Lot of times we do add additional mosfet or Caps on mobo when we do know we are going to pushing it too hard.
Honestly though, I have yet to kill a single CPU. however, GPU with high voltage is something interesting as usual. (burnt 2 9800 pro so far and one dead 6800GT)

xp 2800 Tbred B stock at 2.25Ghz-166fsbx13.5 multi. Very rare and overclock very well.
This is on air with NF7S ver2.00 and 2x512 Gskill mem.
sandracpuid2800.jpg

*notes that this is the a64 oc'ing thread*

not bad.. just wrong cpu.. hehe, this thread is meant to help people out who can't really figure out how to oc their a64's, not just any athlon.

though on that note, i got some crucial ballistix, and it refuses to run between 212mhz and around 225mhz.
i define an upper limit cause after that it works again. i think my memory controller is messed up :rolleyes:

(cf)Eclipse said:
*notes that this is the a64 oc'ing thread*

not bad.. just wrong cpu.. hehe, this thread is meant to help people out who can't really figure out how to oc their a64's, not just any athlon.

though on that note, i got some crucial ballistix, and it refuses to run between 212mhz and around 225mhz.
i define an upper limit cause after that it works again. i think my memory controller is messed up :rolleyes:
Oops, sorry guys. I just put up my old athlon. Neo2 is dead.

Processor:
=========

AMD Athlon64 3200+ 2.2GHZ @ 2.508GHZ
Multiplier: 11
FSB: 228
V-Core: 1.53v

Motherboard:
=========

Asus K8N-E Deluxe
Chipset: N-Force 3 255GB

Memory:
=========

Kingston
1GB PC3200 400MHZ

Video Card:
=========

ATI x800 Pro 128MB

Hard Drives:
=========

Maxtor SATA
(2x) 200GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA [400GB Total] on Raid-0

I plan on going higher later tonight. It's stable as can be also.

Stock configuration fx55/gskill 3200le by spd and/amd stock hsf and a better ver. of neo2
stock1.jpg

Just started overlocking my 3200 winchester today. so far i've got 2500mhz on stock cooling and voltage. I think somethings off with my HTT setting.. cpu-z says its 250 and i set it at 800 in my bios? I dunno, i'm new to A64

Motherboard: Asus A8V 1008.003
CPU: A64 3200+ (stock cooler) TEMP: 31*C
RAM: 2x256MB OCZ PC3200 EL
PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 470W
HDD: Western Digital 60GB SE, 2x120GB SE
DVD: Lite-on 451S (Dual Layer/8x+R Firmware H@X)
CDRW: LiteOn 52x32x52
VC: Leaktek Ti4200 128MB (MSI RX9800Pro RMA'D)

BIOS Settings:
VDIMM: 2.6v
CPU: 1.45v
Memory Timings: 2-4-4-9

Heres a quick shot of what's going on, i'll update with sandra and all that later.

cpuz2500.jpg

Due to the lack of my RX9800, i cant really give it the hl2 practical torture test.

so jeleous :mad:

but i did hit 2600mhz last night. Wanna wait till i get a new cooler before i push it further, after being on overnight it was running at 38*C :( I think I'm gonna get a xp-90 with a pana 92mm m1a.

Still at stock voltage tho, I'm gonna have to run some prime95 eventually to test stablity but i haven't had any lock-ups yet. Dont really feel like upgrading the bios for my a8v to unlock the 1.475-1.59 voltages yet.

Too bad there aren't any Strained SOI ClawHammers available for s754 :(. That would rule.

Dephcon said:
I think somethings off with my HTT setting.. cpu-z says its 250 and i set it at 800 in my bios? I dunno, i'm new to A64

HTT != HT. The HT you tweaked down to 800 on the BIOS (thru a multiplier, probably using 3 so it's really 750) is the path between the processor and the NB. It's speed doesn't really matter a whole lot as it's very rarely saturated. The FSB is often reffered to as HTT with the A64s, that's what you've got at 250.

3700+ is the "rev2" (as I call it) of ClawHammers; it's already the same thing as FX-53.. Although; those were discontinued for FX-55, and they probably still make 3700's. So, quite possibly, in some time, the "rev2"-based ones will be phased out; and replaced by "rev3" - same thing as 4000+ / fx-55. Or, maybe not replaced, but, rather a new line of s754 chips - 3900+, anoyone?

Impulse said:
HTT != HT. The HT you tweaked down to 800 on the BIOS (thru a multiplier, probably using 3 so it's really 750) is the path between the processor and the NB. It's speed doesn't really matter a whole lot as it's very rarely saturated. The FSB is often reffered to as HTT with the A64s, that's what you've got at 250.
1000mhz = 5x
800mhz = 4x
600mhz = 3x
and so on.
so he'd really be running at 1ghz, which should be about the top end of the board's capabilities
try lowering your htt and your ram dividers all the way (or almost all the way) when trying to find the upper limit of your cpu, this way you know it's the cpu itself that's holding you back (or the board's clock generator, which can be tested by lowering all multi's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back