A small datacenter build and other projects

Yes,
I signed a 8 page NDA. :(

However, my boss said it was OK to post photos as long as they do not show anything confidential. I will get some from before I signed my NDA posted up. Ones after will have to wait until I talk to him about it again.

Yes,
I signed a 8 page NDA. :(

However, my boss said it was OK to post photos as long as they do not show anything confidential. I will get some from before I signed my NDA posted up. Ones after will have to wait until I talk to him about it again.

Not worth risking your job :) Only post them if your allowed, and anything "ANYTHING" with a sn or ip address on it, paint it up!

thats all the rest of us do, is use paint to cover system names, IPs, and serial numbers :)

Not worried about IP/Serials- I blank those anyways.

However, Update!

They won't stop coming! I did get the final head count though, only like... 20 more laptops coming in over the next 3 months.
d08pGl.jpg

Crucial changed up the packaging on the M4's.
E06QVl.jpg

Got the cables re-ran and all the ports live at our 2nd site. Installed a ASA5505 for now.
UvrNZl.jpg

My internal cluster guys told me they were out of space, so I dug out some "to be recycled" JBOD's and disks. Apparently we had 48TB just laying around.... It took them 2 months to fill 11tb, let's see how long it takes for them to fill this up!
LwJQOl.jpg

Took some time off to finish the van.
Zxyovl.jpg

iJfD3l.jpg

Had to re-wire half of it too.
KlQlHl.jpg

Built a aluminum framework for the cameras to mount to. The boss decided he wanted the mounts made out of wood temporarily...
LO6rzl.jpg

Nearly finished control panel.
cjEvFl.jpg

Need some cameras?
SP7vIl.jpg

I had ceiling fans installed in our warehouse, much cooler now.
ytqRal.jpg

After some headaches, it is done! Our old system is installed for testing.
AZLotl.jpg

IPlcSl.jpg

p0ip9l.jpg

85DC amps at 13.5v idle...
7mM1Il.jpg

fr6OUl.jpg

5GfNtl.jpg

Had to tear down a brand new W520 in hopes of resetting the CMOS. Turns out the motherboard toasted...
8bEfJl.jpg

ocVETl.jpg

dkMb8l.jpg

That's all for now!

Last edited:
Looks like you guys do some VERY cool stuff...48TB just 'laying around'? I would not know what to do with that haha

That camera van looks creepy LOL!

ON the battery terminal under the hood how come the bolt is so small ? ( or is it my eye's ):confused::confused:

Ha is that a tripp lite inverter charger you got powering that stuff? I recently just bought one to use as a UPS. Works great so far. Got 2 100ah marine batteries for now.

The whole thing looks like a really nice clean setup!

That camera van looks creepy LOL!

ON the battery terminal under the hood how come the bolt is so small ? ( or is it my eye's ):confused::confused:

6mm (10mm socket/wrench)

Had to use the factory clamp for how, but it is also a slight illusion, as that is a huge terminal.

Ha is that a tripp lite inverter charger you got powering that stuff? I recently just bought one to use as a UPS. Works great so far. Got 2 100ah marine batteries for now.

The whole thing looks like a really nice clean setup!

3000w RV/Inverter- I have a maintaining charger on it for when the van is parked.

Sorry if i missed and someone asked/answered already- but... is that vehicle for some form of google streetmap style image capture?

The vehicle is for vibration/gps testing for our aircraft system.

*Edit- 10years, damn I have no life.*

Why the L series glass when you're shooting through windows anyway? btw - if I ever see that van... I'm stealing it.

[edit]
Oh, what the hell are these that the lenses are attached to?

SP7vIl.jpg

Why the L series glass when you're shooting through windows anyway? btw - if I ever see that van... I'm stealing it.

[edit]
Oh, what the hell are these that the lenses are attached to?

IMG

We usually are shooting through optics glass.

The Canon bodies are no longer used, we kept destroying the shutters/lenses after around 80k clicks.

Those are shutter-less sensors, not video cameras- However they will shoot at 60FPS @ 29MP.

We usually are shooting through optics glass.

The Canon bodies are no longer used, we kept destroying the shutters/lenses after around 80k clicks.

Those are shutter-less sensors, not video cameras- However they will shoot at 60FPS @ 29MP.

Really only 80k clicks? what body where you using?

Haha,
You have great timing, I meant to update this- several of our bodies get 3-4k clicks per DAY. We seem to wear them out after 700,000 clicks...
No idea where I got 80k from.

I'm down in San Jose, is there anything fun to do? I'm just here for the night. I visited IX Systems,
Our main supplier. Super nice guys, we were having some QC issues that I am hoping we resolved :).

Been a long week and it is only Tuesday! We have more new employees starting and I have about 15 laptops to get ready.

Plus my new networking gear showed up! I got a great deal and considering this is replacing a hacked together netgear setup, it should make quite the difference.

m4bU4l.jpg

3njjGl.jpg

nGcOHl.jpg

Very nice spyder!
What is that last/bottom unit? I realize the first 4 are procurve switches, what about the last one? some massive Layer 3 switch?

Very nice spyder!
What is that last/bottom unit? I realize the first 4 are procurve switches, what about the last one? some massive Layer 3 switch?

Looks like a ProCurve Intelligent EDGE switch.

Nice.

Its good to see a company that's willing to invest in their IT Infrastructure. I used to work at a place that would question the need of any IT related purchase.

Very nice switches.
We just completed the install of a new Cisco UC system...2 MCS C200 servers and a 2911 router for PRI connection and FXS port for paging. Mostly 7942 phones with a handful of 8961 and 6901. I am just glad it's done :)

Nice.

Its good to see a company that's willing to invest in their IT Infrastructure. I used to work at a place that would question the need of any IT related purchase.

All purchases should be questioned. Wasting money benefits no one. It sounds like Spyder's company has plenty of customers to pay ffor all of the equipment they purchase. :) Plus it sounds like the equipment is being sold to customers.

Great thread Spyder, your company should be running a blog. Congrats on the car too.

Last edited:
All purchases should be questioned. Wasting money benefits no one. It sounds like Spyder's company has plenty of customers to pay ffor all of the equipment they purchase. :) Plus it sounds like the equipment is being sold to customers.

Great thread Spyder, your company should be running a blog. Congrats on the car too.

I never said wasting money. Questioning if you should buy a business line, supported laptop or an emachines from best buy is not acceptable in any company. But that's just my two-cents.

I never said wasting money. Questioning if you should buy a business line, supported laptop or an emachines from best buy is not acceptable in any company. But that's just my two-cents.

you forgot to add, buying a acer aspire desktop and running it for a server for the small business.. FACEPALM!

Thanks! I do my best, but I don't think I have time to run a blog. Too much to do! We are at a tipping point where the "hacked together" network/systems the company grew up on are just not cutting it as we triple in size. Either I start rebuilding the core now, while we are still relatively small- or I suffer later.

Much of the gear you see is customer owned (we spec/order/config it - then ship) as part of our imaging systems. So yes, there is a ton of cool hardware around here. We do however review every purchase and I do my best to get pricing in line. There are years of back infrastructure spending/upgrades to do, so next year will not be nearly as fun hardware wise, but I will still get to manage all of this. Hopefully with a helper... or two... :)

Switch gear:
HP 5406 Chassis switch with 2x 24 port 1GB and 1x 8 port 10GBbase-T.
2x 2510g-48
1x 2510g-24
1x 2910AL-24G

The chassis was the cheapest way ($7k) to get more then two ports of Base-T 10GB. It acts as the core, the 2510's are for distribution, and the 2910AL is spare at this moment. Can't decide what to do with it, I may end up dropping it in our telcom room to act as the end of a trunk to the 5604, and drop our ASA's in to it.

Last edited:
you forgot to add, buying a acer aspire desktop and running it for a server for the small business.. FACEPALM!

We did that too.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Here are two pictures, the first one was a few months after I started but when I first started they had the white box running SBS and the 2950 running as a "terminal server" for one user.

The MD3000i took 6 months to talk him into, that array cost us $8k

The battery backup took me 2 months and countless power outages and two exchange recoveries to get.

Finally after a year we had our phone system go out due to lighting strike, it was my job to spec out a new system. Instead of just doing a new system I priced out an entire network overhall, servers, backup, switching, additional drives, ups, rack. Everything! I handed the purchase order over for $40k in hardware. He thought that this was JUST a phone system, never looked at the PO and approved it.

A few weeks later equipment started showing up. He started asking questions and I explained it all, sure enough he pulled the PO I gave him with his signed signature and then was pissed. He actually wanted me to send it all back once he realized that the phone system was only $5k of the $40k i spent. I threatened to quit when he did this.

In the end we kept the gear and fixed countless problems in the network by doing so.

Man I'm glad to be out of that mess because he never spent a dime on IT after that.

10Gbase-T card and the remainder of the 24 port 1GB cards arrived today. I had to update the chassis to the latest firmware before it would recognize the 10G card.
xz6Aml.jpg

nWPvzl.jpg

I setup a quick test between one of my lab SAN's and a dev box. No speed tests yet.
PnZ9il.jpg

Oh god the mess! Some day I will have time to clean this up...
6kMVKl.jpg

The second chassis switch arrived. This will live at our production building.
GdhiXl.jpg

My main server room has been awful cramped lately with the racks I ordered a few months back so I decided to replace our SAN's rack. I was also able to replace the PDU's with metered switched ones and install the new 6000va UPS.

joTkxl.jpg

Half out...
o7Avvl.jpg

New rack in, half populated.
buUAfl.jpg

About 80% done, my back could not lift the loaded 24bay chassis- so out came the drives!
MzlQ7l.jpg

Much better. Lifting this as the same height as your head alone = not fun.
BGOVKl.jpg

Fully populated.
PCXZ5l.jpg

The middle rack is next!
LESGIl.jpg

Much cleaner :).
gYvV0l.jpg

qBM24l.jpg

Hardly draws any power.
ex9Crl.jpg

Today I spent my day at the second site. Let's play guess the lens!
IzPjfl.jpg

Camera gear cabinet.
qB9Yfl.jpg

I installed the 6000va UPS for my IT racks and the PDU's.
WWPWfl.jpg

It works!
0Vc9Ol.jpg

Tomorrow I will install the HP z5406 chassis switch and finish punching down the patch panels.
pExAHl.jpg

Back