A small datacenter build and other projects

Because the front of the case is full of hard drives.

Looks like the ups might be a Tripp Lite?
 
Last edited:
Your company spends on IT as much as our client does in about 8 years. (I work for Fujitsu, client is Husqvarna).


lol Most users have IBM's over 7-10 years old, caked with dust and work 85% of the time. When I mention it needs to be replaced? "our budget wont allow".

The budget for IT for our client? 00.80%.......that's down from 1% last year haha.....and they still have 10 year old computers....


You're lucky!
 
What type of battery backups are you using?

HqV6Kl.jpg


In that picture why are the drives in the rear of the rack/

It is a Supermicro JBOD chassis. 28 3.5" drives in 3u. We have limited space on an aircraft and these let us put up to 336tb in 12u.

The UPS's are Tripp Lite 6000va units. I have not even gotten to plug it in yet.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all the "awesome job", I am by no means trying to brag. I just love cool hardware! Well, that and there are awesome places like this out there. It took forever to find a place that fit me and my many strange skills.
 
If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to stumble upon such a place? I'd love to jump ship and work for such a kick ass business.
 
Honestly I stumbled across it on CL. I applied as a joke (seriously) due to the zainy job posting. I was way over qualified for the tech position they had posted and figured I would make the HR person laugh. They asked silly questions about overclocking, networking your home, and living off caffeine. The only serious bit I put in was a updated resume I had been working on and reference to ZFS/ESXi. I had just built a new setup for my old work using these and I guess I mentioned the right things. Never thought I would get a phone call asking me to interview for the position of IT Manager.
 
Busy week as always.

Bought a ASA5505 Sec + to test the SSLVPN.
YfEIOl.jpg

uzzu3l.jpg

tBAGLl.jpg

New power pole is going up at our production site for 400amp 480 3ph. (They were moving it anyways.)
bchB8l.jpg

270amp DC Power Engineering alternator showed up
flSyKl.jpg

So did a 300 amp fuse, amp and volt meters, and two shut off switches. (One main power, one inverter power)
9wDDKl.jpg

The 300 amp battery isolator showed up. Kinda ticked at the manufacturer. I ordered it per the instructions on their website, yet when I called to ask a separate question, the tech told me their site is out of date and it may not work for our application.
B0s6bl.jpg

Wire loom, crimps, heatshrink.
zazbul.jpg

Batteries, 00 wire, ect.
73vCql.jpg

I had a second internet connection installed at home to start playing with some of these routers I have laying around. Well that and site to site links/replication between NAS's, ect.
HihTMl.jpg

Intake air at full load on our Quad Hex core 1u cluster boxes.
DX8A8l.jpg

Exhaust at full load.
mJL2ql.jpg

Temporarily got some actual fans. The rooms are 10-15 degrees cooler now. It is great.
6ybLMl.jpg


HPUMGl.jpg

I finally put those R210's to use. One is my node on the cluster network for diagnosing speed issues/general troubleshooting. A quad 2.93/16gb ram/256gb SSD +3tb/40gb Infiniband seems overkill, but it is what we had around.
The second one is not pictured, same machine, but being used for a temp NVR at our second site for the Ubiquiti Air Cams + running some monitoring/general IT box.
SeOhul.jpg
 
Last edited:
So far I am not impressed. It is a MSI board in a cheap case for $4k+ crazy service fees. We have two Link Balancer 430's and one (the one in the picture) does not work. It completely hard locked. No idea what happened to it. The goal is to replace them with ASA5510's or 20's.
 
So far I am not impressed. It is a MSI board in a cheap case for $4k+ crazy service fees. We have two Link Balancer 430's and one (the one in the picture) does not work. It completely hard locked. No idea what happened to it. The goal is to replace them with ASA5510's or 20's.

its a cheap version of the supermicro case :( sucks to see that they used a cheap MSI board :(


I still wish i had bought 2 R210's instead of my R415.. oh well..
 
its a cheap version of the supermicro case :( sucks to see that they used a cheap MSI board :(


I still wish i had bought 2 R210's instead of my R415.. oh well..

Not to get too off topic, but why? I'm getting ready to order 2 R310s, but had looked at other options as well.
 
Fallover. We have cluster network that needs to have remote access 24x7 for under 25 users.
 
cool.

Most of my project request are simply ignored. I recently put one forword for out of band management for SQL and DCs at remote locations (we are talking about central Africa, Peru etc) No reply to that one.

Central Storage server for users documents etc so we can easily swap out PCs without having to move all the users docs off the PC, better / easier backup - no reply

Replace a 10 year old server running ESXi - 6 months for a reply

the list goes on

Cash rich, huge multi national company and we run our core SQL DBs on a single 4 year old 2950 with a 32bit operating system.

IT management run it like a small business IT department and will not step out of their own personal comfort zone no matter how hard I push.
 
Last edited:
I hate that, some people just get too comfortable. I can't believe they won't even let you build a file server though.
 
Central Storage server for users documents etc so we can easily swap out PCs without having to move all the users docs off the PC, better / easier backup - no reply

Folder redirection is nothing new or dangerous. The functionality is built directly into Active Directory, and there are scripts for automating the process for the conversion from local files storage to server based. You could almost do it without them knowing.
 
Need to have the expenditure signed off and we are talking about a large user base.
 
cool.

Most of my project request are simply ignored. I recently put one forword for out of band management for SQL and DCs at remote locations (we are talking about central Africa, Peru etc) No reply to that one.

Central Storage server for users documents etc so we can easily swap out PCs without having to move all the users docs off the PC, better / easier backup - no reply

Replace a 10 year old server running ESXi - 6 months for a reply

the list goes on

Cash rich, huge multi national company and we run our core SQL DBs on a single 4 year old 2950 with a 32bit operating system.

IT management run it like a small business IT department and will not step out of their own personal comfort zone no matter how hard I push.

It sucks when companies don't understand the need to upgrade. Unfortunately they will find out the hard way when a critical system dies and it could have been avoided.
 
Jay, that would drive me crazy. However, you probably have a lot more time to invest in planning and implementation then I do right now. I put several self imposed limits in place recently. Many of my larger projects need to be spaced out, not only for proper planning and install, but for budget reasons. Anything customer owned, I have a pretty much unlimited budget. Anything in house, I get anything over $1k approved by my boss, anything over $6k approved by finance/operations. I still have a ton to do- including replacing ESXi boxes, adding a SAN to each site, setting up some form of tape backup. Way to many projects were "Hey the correct way will cost $50k, but I found this temp solution that only costs $15k" and then the correct way was never put in place...
 
I have the same issues as yourself only I have to add on top the fact that I have to some how get them past the IT manager who sadly has no real experience in the field of hands on IT but likes to control everything while also supporting end users all over the world down to basic issues such as "Outlook isn't working on my PC"

I have a multi site SAN with async replication project

New backup project, tapes for daily is just of no real use any more (Tapes for monthly, 3 monthly and yearly are still the way to go though)

SQL fail over cluster for head office

Full review of our licensing (looking at a new enterprise agreement to cover our none EU offices)

Standardisation of all desktop OS and Office versions (we have a mix of XP, 7, Office 2003 up to 2010 so support can be pretty hard)

Total redesign of our Datacenter rack (what a f**king mess they are)

New Citrix XenApp farm

we have about 1000 end points spread over every time zone, I am the only person who looks after the overseas sites and I am the only 3rd line for the local sites.

All this while also fighting to get these projects passed by the IT manager who sadly just goes home when there are any problems then throws you to the dogs after making sure you take the blame.

I spend 18 months trying to get the 10 year old 15KVa UPS system replaced that runs the Head Office server room, eventually the old just died and I had to run the server room on the bypass switch while we got the new UPS installed.

On top to this I have built 2 new server rooms and been all over the world replacing old tech. The good news is the new server rooms are neat and tidy and fully documented! My predecessor had it easy as he was the Network Admin and just got to do Network Admin stuff, Lucky bastard. I feel like I am the IT manager in all but title and pay, sick of dealing with contracts, licensing regs, project planning, DR etc. I came here to be the Global Network Admin, deal with connectivity, switches, firewalls, MPLS, leased lines etc

The IT manager actually once said to me "I am disappointed you spent so long in the new server room", "I once got a full server room installed in 1 day" "I just racked it all and plugged it in, I don't know why its taken you 2 days to do that?"

What the IT manager failed to say was that in their case it was all shipped to site, configured with a plan included by the network admins and it was simply just a screw it in and plug the power in then hand it back over to be checked, tested etc. When I finally cracked and sat down to try and explain why I get so frustrated I was told by the IT Manager "I think you are putting your failing on to me!, I am not changing anything, why should I have to change for you?"

I often get "I am the fucking IT manager here" or when he tells some one to do something wrong and I try and say "maybe it should be done this way?" I am told "stop fucking complicating things" I just let it roll these days.

This list goes on and on

I think you and I would make a bloody good team! :D

ps

... my god I have derailed your thread! Sorry mate, back to the cool pictures.
 
Last edited:
Good God Jay.. I would have told that go to go eff himself hard a long long time ago.
 
I hate you, you bastard :p. I love playing with new things and learning and physically setting up hardware. Sitting in front of a computer all day is very boring to me. Very jealous of you.
 
Haha, for every cool piece of hardware I have to deal with at least 15 "why doesn't this work" standard Tier1 help desk BS.

*Edit* I was reading documentation wrong. Going with two ASA5515-x with a 50 pack of SSL VPN licenses and smartnet. Still trying to decide how to handle out 100Mb fiber connection. We are getting a 3750M at each end from the provider- Question to the Cisco folks out there- Is it worth it to use separate hardware (a dedicated ASA5505 for example) for the site to site link? Or can I just port it through the ASA5515-x? My only concern would be bandwidth.
 
Last edited:
Good news: Tons of more pics coming soon!

Bad news: Got my 90 day review, I'm awesome! However it came with a new NDA that may not let me post any more pics in the future. Consulting the hire ups. Sorry folks, this job is not worth risking for right now.
 
Pictures Ahoy!

The power project for the van got top priority last week. I worked 9 days straight to get this thing done (had a terrible cold or it would have been less.)
qyXcyl.jpg

Stock puny alternator.
7QlQsl.jpg

Gutted the van. It was filthy in there.
PhBBul.jpg

eURAql.jpg

Starting the layout. Got the 0000 and 00 wire ran from the engine bay.
bq01dl.jpg

Had to run in to the office, our new scope arrived.
2l3Qml.jpg

Power lines from the engine bay, wrapped with split loom and thermal wrap.
pywEwl.jpg

The battery box/inverter mount/control center taking shape.
l50rvl.jpg

New 270amp alternator installed.
3GeQ3l.jpg

Had a problem with my bandsaw, every cut was off. My bridgeport is not up and running, so I borrowed a friends mill.
yObkXl.jpg

V5BoFl.jpg

Sides welded up.
GarSCl.jpg

Basic box welded up.
rXrw7l.jpg

Inverter mounted.
GMuYVl.jpg

Starting the control panel layout.
TYONpl.jpg

My son wanting to help :).
uqsvxl.jpg

Saturday was the hottest day of the year, I was sitting in our yard with our neighbors and noticed a wet spot under the van. Apparently one of the the rear heater core lines decided it no longer wanted to hold coolant.
agsqhl.jpg

mIxFUl.jpg


Z1exEl.jpg

Decided to bypass it since we will only be running AC in the back.
GyP6gl.jpg

New battery, wiring, and alternator installed- hardly can tell I did anything :).
Cb6ZRl.jpg

Got the SKB installed.
bLUEol.jpg

Power center all wired up.
hZ66Tl.jpg

Had to install a security gate at work on the dock.
FEXgUl.jpg

Another ground station arrived for burn in. No AC in the warehouse + 90 degree day out = 100+ inside the warehouse...
IXKMLl.jpg


Ra1obl.jpg

One of the analyst workstations. (Dual hex core/96gb ram)
HTX9ul.jpg

The gate and one of the AirCams installed.
sOWvtl.jpg

The other AirCam.
mo66ul.jpg

Got a half dozen of these MiniGooseII's- so far I really like them.
IPgbWl.jpg

Installed a small AC unit in our R+D server room. Helps keep the temps below 100.
2hTQml.jpg

Got a Infiniband card for my node in our cluster- mainly for testing speeds on our ZFS boxes.
D35axl.jpg

Someone bought a damn tower for my rack.
aVfOvl.jpg

My Allen Tel cable order showed up.
8lUoWl.jpg

I could not wait, I stayed late and re did our main server room as best I could.
EbsBil.jpg

Sooooo much better.
mEUPhl.jpg

The back will have to wait until I install our new racks.
MSwKyl.jpg
 
Last edited:
Great pics as always!

Hard to fathom running gear in 100 degree rooms, you're a saint! lol
 
Sadly, we really don't have a choice. Plus this gear usually goes in 100+ degree weather in the field, so it is a good test.
ZvTU1l.jpg
 
Awesome stuff as always. I always like seeing welding/fabrication work along with computers!!
 
My boss is a awesome guy, built himself a lifted Jeep, ect- but he keeps giving me trouble. "What do you mean the IT guy built this? I bet he paid someone to do it!" (Joking of course- but the CEO officially thinks I am crazy/awesome.)
 
My boss is a awesome guy, built himself a lifted Jeep, ect- but he keeps giving me trouble. "What do you mean the IT guy built this? I bet he paid someone to do it!" (Joking of course- but the CEO officially thinks I am crazy/awesome.)

Keeping good terms with all the head guys = job security :)
 
Back
Top