A small datacenter build and other projects

5$ to the person who can read the "correct" numbers displayed on the watt meter on the desk.

>>>
RI5NCl.jpg

The gear in the SKB's?

Yes and no. Some of it goes on a plane, some of it goes on the ground. I believe everything in those pictures will be removed and installed in shipping container data centers.

More crazy stuff going on.

We are considering moving next door. I do not approve of this, as the building needs 60k worth of improvements done, all IT related. (All new drops, new server room built out, new power ran, new AC put in the server room, ect.) Here is a picture from the "new" building looking at the roof of our current office. No wonder it leaks.

tduYtl.jpg

I ordered a DS1511+ and 6x 3TB Seagate 7.2k drives to temporarily replace a older NAS that lacks version control. My CEO saw it and had me order a second for replication.
uZF7El.jpg

Lb4Fkl.jpg

5Mkkrl.jpg

BY6VCl.jpg

K7wyNl.jpg

Eo9iRl.jpg

TmFrZl.jpg

fyDaIl.jpg

qP8aLl.jpg

Random junk laying around the office. I need to move it- the monitor had a ceiling tile fall on it and ever since it won't say on the same input source. No idea about the desktop, other then that its a 6 core/12gb ram/3x 500gb WD Black + Some nvidia card.
srP4xl.jpg

Last Friday my LVE finally started work on our second site. We removed one of the old jacks, gotta love the 5" + of stripped jacket.
6xxkll.jpg

Starting out at 8:30.
yOLDBl.jpg

By 10 we had the upstairs drops ran.
ARod0l.jpg

Other end.
3FHX6l.jpg

I installed another Ubiquity Unifi AP. Just one covered the entire office.
Ls5FFl.jpg

By the end of the first day, all the drops we ran and terminated in the walls. The dozen or so necessary ones were temporarily terminated and everyone was able to resume work Monday.
NyATIl.jpg

54vpwl.jpg

mu5tLl.jpg

E3PIal.jpg

8UbyGl.jpg

rSSjql.jpg

f0nOal.jpg

Jzx4Rl.jpg

YFqJUl.jpg

r1TpRl.jpg

d2gf8l.jpg

Need some SSD's?
yaVHql.jpg

I started to work on the Camera van today. SKB case set in the back for spacing.
7I6HYl.jpg

My racks arrived! A bloody month late. I stayed late tonight and got them setup.
cVCM2l.jpg

First rack removed. I am replacing the two shallow depth racks on the end, adding those to the rest of the existing racks, for a total of 8 racks. Two IT, 4 Cluster, 1 QA.
OOuCul.jpg

Super shallow racks. It is going to be interesting installing all our gear...
GmfTpl.jpg

jrSLgl.jpg

56izVl.jpg

SVTOkl.jpg

VHRUxl.jpg

9a622l.jpg

30e7Pl.jpg

QBzljl.jpg

wTeSGl.jpg

rooMOl.jpg

t3yoIl.jpg

ce2tDl.jpg

queX9l.jpg

aXGwAl.jpg

TZBQll.jpg

oyKaBl.jpg

We had to wire mold just this room, I hate hate HATE the stuff, but we had no choice. For some odd reason, there seems to be a metal plate in between the walls. (Cinderblock outside, wood framed inside.)
17urFl.jpg

6wnYRl.jpg

My tool kit keeps growing. Looks like I need a new bag already.
61c6zl.jpg

E9I2fl.jpg

Plenty of room for two Liebert CRV's.
irofTl.jpg

Leftover wiring/old pull out. Anyone need a CAT5 48 port patch panel? We have like 3.
D1pKQl.jpg

Cleaned up the old dmark in the warehouse. Everything has been moved up to the closet that can be. The two Cat6 are for our DSL line (overkill, but I double ran Coax/Cat6 just in case.)
dhK5sl.jpg

Last edited:
On a side note, what cool things should I get CDW to send me?

I have to order the following:
3 laptops @ $2700/e
4x 6000VA UPS
6x TrippLite switched PDU's- vertical
5x HP 2510-48G switches
2x MFP's (No idea what yet)

And thats just this week...

So jealous of the work that you get to do and the stuff you get to work with. Beautiful work btw, wiring is awesome and those Ubiquity Unifi APs look super slick. Really good!.

It's nice when a company sees the benefit of giving the IT group a big budget to work with, things run smooth and if it doesn't then troubleshooting is easy.

One of our datastations was only showing 162gb out of 196gb of ram. I ended up replacing the motherboard.
3LnAZl.jpg

UEDYjl.jpg

EwKRIl.jpg

While I had it down, I installed 2x60gb Intel 520 SSD's, 2x 128gb Crucial M4, 2x 512gb Crucial M4, and replaced 24 1tb with 1.5tb drives.
UKGGwl.jpg

rhjyyl.jpg

8SOMFl.jpg

Got our load balancer installed.
ThFKTl.jpg

Getting a bit messy back here...
2Vnh3l.jpg

Tripp Lite 2200va UPS installed temporarily.
fi43Ql.jpg

05R6Sl.jpg

Drops from the network closet down to the racks in the warehouse.
scbkol.jpg

rc7Uxl.jpg

Awesome, please keep us posted with pictures Spyder, it is for sure one of the threads I look forward to for updates!

Please feel free to send me that 6 core/12gb desktop if you don't have a use for it :) I'll even pay shipping. You could say it's being donated to help people with severe dyslexia since it'd be given to my brother anyway :p hehe.

Man things are really coming together on that project it seems. I may have an opportunity to do something similar for a small game developer here in Dallas. Waiting to hear back on the latest email.

That blue 1u firewall looks neat!

It is a Barracuda 430. 6 WAN and 1 LAN. As far as I can tell, it is just a ITX board with addon card for the WAN nics. I have one at each site, they were purchased before I started for like $6k... Akkk.

Please feel free to send me that 6 core/12gb desktop if you don't have a use for it :) I'll even pay shipping. You could say it's being donated to help people with severe dyslexia since it'd be given to my brother anyway :p hehe.

Man things are really coming together on that project it seems. I may have an opportunity to do something similar for a small game developer here in Dallas. Waiting to hear back on the latest email.

Cool!

I actually have no idea who owns that tower. We have a mix of company/customer owned gear and since I have no documentation on it, I can only guess it is customer owned.

It is a Barracuda 430. 6 WAN and 1 LAN. As far as I can tell, it is just a ITX board with addon card for the WAN nics. I have one at each site, they were purchased before I started for like $6k... Akkk.

Ouch! 6k$ dam it's just a mini it'd for sure, u can see it in the back aide picture.. It's just a supermicro case too isn't it ?

I just keep having fun with that Datastation, can't win.
pJ1ptl.jpg

Power has started showing up for the van.
Nn0rPl.jpg

Geoff is the CEO...
F2AITl.jpg

DSL installed at the 2nd location as fallover.
snvcxl.jpg

Guess the installer did not like our little breakout adapter.
DyPJTl.jpg

Purchased a 2nd Movin Cool 26, referbed for $3k installed. I was NOT happy with how they did it. Three hours after they left, I had to move the T, as I could not run both units (Highpressure shutoff) and with one running, it backfed out the other, heating the room. They are going to raise the T above the breaker box and installer a damper valve for me.
KA0bvl.jpg

Switching lab on my desk.
YCf3sl.jpg

They bought me Chai!
kwtazl.jpg

I get to install these this week, can't wait!
T08Sol.jpg

Any reason why you went with movable A/C units instead of something like an APC rack row cooler? I just got a pair of them installed about 6 months ago to replace an aging Libert unit and I could not be happier.

We are moving in 6m-1.5yrs and our current building is a National Historic Landmark. I would have to get comity approval and pay for the condensers to be craned on to the roof.

We are moving in 6m-1.5yrs and our current building is a National Historic Landmark. I would have to get comity approval and pay for the condensers to be craned on to the roof.

Makes sense. I guess I am lucky, my building already has a chilled water system. All I had to do was tell the union pipe fitters where to run the lines.

I hope you are planning on getting a bigger alternator for that van, those power inverters can pull some serious juice. I would run everything with 0-gauge car audio power wire if it was me.

Makes sense. I guess I am lucky, my building already has a chilled water system. All I had to do was tell the union pipe fitters where to run the lines.

I hope you are planning on getting a bigger alternator for that van, those power inverters can pull some serious juice. I would run everything with 0-gauge car audio power wire if it was me.

there is probably a good reason why he has that nice gel cell battery :) lots of juice in that unit.

Good gauge wire is a must too..

00 and 270amp custom wound alt, 200amps at idle. :-D
I also have a 300amp isolator, 3 more batteries, gauges, fuses, cut off switches, ect.

00 and 270amp custom wound alt, 200amps at idle. :-D
I also have a 300amp isolator, 3 more batteries, gauges, fuses, cut off switches, ect.

Sounds like you have it under control lol. I worked in a car audio shop in high school and helped build a spl competition van so i figured i would throw in my 2 cents.

Are you going to build a battery bank and use a battery isolator so the server system runs off a different power source than the main engine battery? that would be the way i would do it.

Sounds like you have it under control lol. I worked in a car audio shop in high school and helped build a spl competition van so i figured i would throw in my 2 cents.

Are you going to build a battery bank and use a battery isolator so the server system runs off a different power source than the main engine battery? that would be the way i would do it.

Nailed it on the head. I have built large stereo installs and enough cars in general to find my way around. My AA almost killed me when the batteries showed up at our main office, I politely reminded her she did not read the PR and had them shipped here... :)

Last edited:
Spyder I hope this is something you can answer or give a give a idea to...but what is the deal with the van? I've never heard of somebody doing something like this in a van? I'm a bit confused as to the purpose.

If you can't answer, don't sweat it :)

Spyder I hope this is something you can answer or give a give a idea to...but what is the deal with the van? I've never heard of somebody doing something like this in a van? I'm a bit confused as to the purpose.

If you can't answer, don't sweat it :)

Easy answer, durability test rig for our plane mounted camera systems. Vibration/Mounts/GPS signal, ect. That and other cool stuff I cant talk about :p

I just got an internship, haven't even started yet, and I already know it's going to suck since nothing could be like this.

You're living the dream...

BTW.. Those Managed PDU if they are the ones we had are a PITA. The management card always went offline.. Not something I would every buy again.. Their UPS's are fine.

Interesting. We have one right now and it has been fine for 6+ months? How long ago was this?

It is a very "hardware neat" job, but some days it really wears on me. I have at least 30 projects going ATM.

Are you just constantly buying more shit or is there a final goal? lol. Awesome pics.

We go through something like $2mil in hardware a year?

I have 4 more PR's to put in tomorrow and I am just getting started. I still need to buy 25 new laptops, a dozen 30" monitors, my cores/ rest of my switches, two new VM hosts, two new SAN's, a new phone system, and eventually hire an assistant!

How the hell do you put your projects down on paper with all that going on at once? I sometimes find the paperwork, plans , keeping people upto date of progress etc is harder than the actual install!

What type of battery backups are you using?

HqV6Kl.jpg

In that picture why are the drives in the rear of the rack/

Back