A Picture I took - 2013

I would love to get a shot of Tokyo from a similar perspective, but all the observation decks that I know of are either indoors and I have to shoot through glass and limited on my composition and angle, or outdoor but don't allow the use of tripods. :(

All those shots were taken indoors (If you look at the first image, you can see the edge of glass on the bottom right. There are tricks to eliminate glare ;) - Black cloth - tape, some suction cups.... yeah it looks weird and you get some strange "WTF is this guy doing?!" looks, but I'm willing to go that far.

The only obstacle of shooting through glass is that I cant get rid off is the reflection and refraction of light bouncing of the lens and the multiple layers of glass. If you notice the "Intercontinental" logo on the far bottom of the first image, the logo is reflected twice.

I'm nitpicking. but still.

mesa1.jpg

mesa2.jpg

@Empty,

I see you're getting more models, are you getting them through MM?

Yes and no. A friend runs a small local alternative model agency - and I've shot a couple of the models. All the local models practically know each other. Know one, and you know them all.

I dont personally have an MM account (dont feel like creating a whole new set/account/portfolio). So I use my buddy's account. We arrange the shoot together.

Hasselblad by Empty Quarter, on Flickr

As always, great shots EQ. The amount of skin smoothness in that first shot bugs the living hell out of me (her left arm looks like a prosthetic to me, especially the forearm, the three-dimensional rendering of the image is gone), but everything else is stellar!

I will agree with what you said, however. That Subaru... stunning!

Great shot as usual Empty_Quarter! I do have a quick question. Do you know if NYC has any building that allow you to go up and take those kinda night time city bird view that you shot?

Great shot as usual Empty_Quarter! I do have a quick question. Do you know if NYC has any building that allow you to go up and take those kinda night time city bird view that you shot?

The most frequently visited is probably Rockefeller Plaza (30 Rock), although you could also visit the Empire State Building. "Top-of-the-Rock" has a charge, not sure about Empire State, but probably.

Top-of-the-rock offers a 360 degree view, but most often, people take images facing south so as to see the Empire State Building, Freedom Tower, and on a clear day, Liberty Island will be a small speck. To the South West, there is the Chrysler Building, and North is primarily Central Park.

The problem with being in the Empire State Building, is that you can't photograph the Empire State Building. Pick your poison type of thing.

The most frequently visited is probably Rockefeller Plaza (30 Rock), although you could also visit the Empire State Building. "Top-of-the-Rock" has a charge, not sure about Empire State, but probably.

Top-of-the-rock offers a 360 degree view, but most often, people take images facing south so as to see the Empire State Building, Freedom Tower, and on a clear day, Liberty Island will be a small speck. To the South West, there is the Chrysler Building, and North is primarily Central Park.

The problem with being in the Empire State Building, is that you can't photograph the Empire State Building. Pick your poison type of thing.

Thank you so much. This would be great next time i'm in NYC. Top of the Rock sounds greats. I ordered a rubber hood to help with glare and reflection. Any other recommendation to help with the shoot? Thank you in advance, your info are always great, and is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. This would be great next time i'm in NYC. Top of the Rock sounds greats. I ordered a rubber hood to help with glare and reflection. Any other recommendation to help with the shoot? Thank you in advance, your info are always great, and is much appreciated.

Well, for Top-of-the-Rock, you won't have windows in your way. It's literally on top of the building with two out door levels. The first level they installed safety glass (which you can shoot over) or you can go up to the upper level which is basically entirely unobstructed.

The only time you'll have a glare/reflection issue is if you're shooting early/late in the day during sunrise/sunset. Something cool to know is that basically Top-of-the-Rock is open all day. You can even get passes to allow you to go up twice in one day (they really are catering to the hardcore photography crowd that wants to hit up two times of day with that one). Top-of-the-Rock was basically my favorite thing in NYC. For me, it was totally worth the price of admission.

The only other thing I have to mention, is that if you get annoyed be security in general, you'll want to pack light. They go through EVERYTHING. NYC is unfortunately one of the least photography friendly cities, at least in terms of specific buildings and stuff. I think it has to do with the high tourism rate (it's the most visited city in the US), and the locals are just sick of annoying photographers. It's definitely a location in which a good smile, an honest mistake, and shuffling on go a long way. While you're in 30 Rock, I also recommend going to see the NBC tour (although they don't allow photography during) in which you can see some behind the scenes stuff from various news shows, SNL, etc, and/or seeing a show filmed live (I watched Jimmy Fallon which was pretty easy to get tickets for if you arrive first thing and are patient, I hear getting tickets for SNL is darn near impossible though).

I also really liked visiting Liberty/Ellis Island but that was for other reasons.

Last edited:
Ty ahn

Unknown covered most of it - but to add - There are two publicly open observation dekcs in NYC. Empire State Building and the Top of the Rock. The empire state has a fantastic view of midtown, unfortunately they do not allow tripods of any shape or size (they know what to look for and got X-rays). The top of the rock is fantastic. I've managed to get a gorillapod in, however, I've been reading around that tripods apparently are a touchy subject there, and I simply got lukcy that I didn't get caught. However, the good news is. The top of the rock has 3 observation levels. The top most level has concrete pedestals that you could rest your camera on. Most of the people simply did just that.

Whenever the freedom tower opens up, it's planned to have an obsevation deck - till then, those are best two options

Option 2: Get a hotel room with a view
Option 3: Go to rooftop patios all over NYC - I didnt have time for that sadly.
Option 4: B&E

Jeremiah_Bostwick-Grant_Owen-Blue_Grid-img_2897.jpg

MUA: Brittney Tony

Here is a recent bit of portrait work that I'm doing for guitarist/singer/songwriter Grant Owen. He was looking for images that would be a bit dark and serious. Happy to deliver. A few more images to come soon.
Not sure if the editing is final. Still giving it a bit more time to see if I really like it.

EDIT: Also, Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope everyone has an excellent time with family and friends no matter your traditions. Be Blessed.

Last edited:
MUA: Brittney Tony

Here is a recent bit of portrait work that I'm doing for guitarist/singer/songwriter Grant Owen. He was looking for images that would be a bit dark and serious. Happy to deliver. A few more images to come soon.
Not sure if the editing is final. Still giving it a bit more time to see if I really like it.

EDIT: Also, Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope everyone has an excellent time with family and friends no matter your traditions. Be Blessed.

Can't wait to see more. Great shot!

Happy Thanksgiving! Godspeed for those who have to travel.

Ryan (B+W 2) by pyrospawn, on Flickr

Normally, I don't post pictures I take at military functions to my Flickr account or anything, but I like the way this one turned out. This is a re-enlistment ceremony that was held at the peak of Mt. Takao during a squadron hike.

Re-enlistment on Mt. Takao by davidgevert, on Flickr

Ashleigh's a cutie!

No pics from my D800 for a couple of weeks. I dropped my D800 last weekend (the carabiner on my BlackRapid strap wasn't fully secured) and I noticed yesterday that all of my lenses now needed -20 AF fine-tuning to get reasonably sharp. Took it to the Nikon service center in Shinjuku, and they informed me that the bayonet mount on my 24-70 lens was bent, and the mount on my camera was bent as well (not as badly). $800 repair bill and the camera's out of action for a few weeks. :(

Ashleigh's a cutie!

No pics from my D800 for a couple of weeks. I dropped my D800 last weekend (the carabiner on my BlackRapid strap wasn't fully secured) and I noticed yesterday that all of my lenses now needed -20 AF fine-tuning to get reasonably sharp. Took it to the Nikon service center in Shinjuku, and they informed me that the bayonet mount on my 24-70 lens was bent, and the mount on my camera was bent as well (not as badly). $800 repair bill and the camera's out of action for a few weeks. :(

Yikes, sorry to hear that!

Canon gear is a little more solid :).

(and I'll make sure to watch that carabiner on my Sport....)

Ahh, this thread makes me want to pick up photography again. Such an expensive hobby though. It's good that lens value never go down much. (or bad ... for me)

Ahh, this thread makes me want to pick up photography again. Such an expensive hobby though. It's good that lens value never go down much. (or bad ... for me)

Well, any crop body and 50/1.8 will get you back in :).

Handful more from my trip up to the Gunflint Trail and Arrowhead Trail roads late September in northern Minnesota.

Pretty proud of these. Especially the Milky Way photos. My D300S files struggled in post processing, but it worked out OK for these web and smaller print sizes. If I were to do it again I'd shoot all of them at ISO 3200, largest aperture for my lens (3.5), and for 40 seconds. Lastly, pushed brighter 1 stop in post.

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_01_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

View towards Grand Marais from the Cut Face Creek wayside rest.

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_02_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

Two Island Lake State Forest campground. View from site 24 (if I remember right). You have to walk through the pine trees at the back of the site. I highly recommend this campground. Many of the sites are large and on the lake.

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_03_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

Two Island Lake State Forest campground

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_04_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

Dock at the public water access at Two Island Lake State Forest campground.

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_04B_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

Small pond on Ball Club Rd a short drive South out of Two Island. I believe the coordinates are 47.870690, -90.429498. There was a pull off under the power lines just north of the pond.

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_05_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

Durfee creek just north of Grand Marais on Highway 61.

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_06_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

The Milky Way! Viewed from a little rest area on the Gunflint Trail at coordinates 48.010000, -90.370833. I had just eaten at a decent little restaurant called the Trail Center Lodge and Restaurant, and decided to head south. One of the other trucks I saw at the bar caught up to me and decided to ride my bumper. It is pitch black outside, with a curvy road, and no shoulder. Ended up pulling off by chance at the exact same area I had taken photos earlier in the afternoon. Got out of the car and looked up, and saw the Milky Way. Was not expecting it at all due to the very short period between the sun setting and the moon rising that evening.

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_07_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

A great stand of trees on South Fowl Road, just off the Arrowhead Trail. Will also take you to the Border Route trail and is an access point to a steep cliff face that I must visit in the future. Main use for this road is to get to a bunch of 4x4 trails. 48.022778, -90.018611

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_08_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

View from across McFarland Lake near the end of the Arrowhead Trail. Taken at community picnic site and "swimming beach", that has some nice tables under some large pine trees. As far as I could tell I was the first visitor in along time. Coordinates so that more people can have a nice lunch spot. There is a State Forest campground further up the road, which as of September 2013 appears to be free for nightly camping.

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_09_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

I couldn't find any really nice foreground landscapes looking South around McFarland Lake. I ended up at an old campsite south of there on the Otter Lake road where I knew from the past that I wouldn't be bothered.

North_Shore_Trip_2013_-_10_-_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

Really looking forward to this winter and 2014. Bunch of weekend trips planned, and a whole lot of locations near me to fill in any free time throughout the week. D800E soon... Excited!

Handful more from my trip up to the Gunflint Trail and Arrowhead Trail roads late September in northern Minnesota.

***SNIP...

Really looking forward to this winter and 2014. Bunch of weekend trips planned, and a whole lot of locations near me to fill in any free time throughout the week. D800E soon... Excited!

Very cool shots. Love the milky way shots. Love #2,3, and 6 also.

Daggah, sorry to hear about ur accident with the D800 :(. Hope you get it back soon.

Good ole' Lake LA!! Awesome to see that old place again. My wife's family lives out there and we drive past that place on the way in from Lancaster. I've lost count of how many movies, TV shows, and music videos we've seen with that place in the background. Was the Sheriff part of a project or just happened to be close by?

Back