A Picture I took - 2013

Good choices Anh. N. I'm also planning on 2014 to be an excellent year.

One of my first photos with the Rokinon 14mm + D800E combo, Family Christmas Tree:
2013_1226_Tree_by_Adam_J_Bavier_1024w.jpg

Sharpness at F/5.6 is impressive. The F/2.8 crop was only negligibly different, but the depth of field difference is apparent.
crop_sample.jpg

I'm going to have to break mine out again now that we have some clear weather- but it is definitely fun. Just wish putting a polarizer on it was easy; I'm liking the results that I'm getting with my 11-22 on the EOS-M, but it's no low-light hero like the 6D + 14/2.8.

Well I done gone and went micro 4/3. Hated the thought of carrying the 5D + 17-40L around Hawaii. My entire m4/3 kit weighs as much as those two together.
I know I gave up the benefits of the IQ of the 5D, but I'm pretty happy with my m4/3 kit.

So far I have for it:
Olympus E-PL3
14-42 kit lens
40-150mm tele zoom
20mm f/1.7 prime (great lens, it is my main lens on the camera)
Oly Fl-300R wireless off camera (or on camera) flash
Domke F-5XB rugged bag

Currently bidding on a 9-18mm wide zoom
Considering buying a 45mm f1.8 prime for it. That seems to be the popular prime for portraits.

Things I don't like about the EPL3 (which even my T1i trumps it):
Lowest ISO is 200
ISO above 800 isn't great, above 1600 pretty bad
Some grain in the blacks of photos

Other than those complaints, so far I'm loving it.

Those of you who have complimented my photos or fave'd them on Flickr...I want you to know you've helped me through a difficult time in my life. Thank you.

I'm glad that we could help. It was easy to do since your photos were great. :) It was the same for me. The reason I started with photography was because of a breakup and need something to occupy my time. I hope your trouble is over and that things are better. Here to 2014 as a better year for all.

As 2013 comes to a close and this tread will soon be closed to make room for the 2014 one I just want to thank all of the regular posters (Empty_Quarter, Anh N, Daggah, MN Scout, ect) for posting their amazing images and inspiring me to better myself as a photographer. I look forward to what is to come in 2014 and hope to have some more of my own images to show.

Thanks for the compliment.

This year has certainly had many great photos from everyone. Many gorgeous cityscapes, landscapes, beautiful women.

Here are a couple from the last day.

At the dog park this morning. I thought 1/800 of a second would be fast enough, and it wasn't for 50% of the photos. The dogs sure run fast. Next time I'm trying 1/1600. Then that'll show me how the AF is doing. Used 3D Matrix AF, appeared to jump a bit off the dogs face, so I'm going to try 9-point next time and see how it compares.
2013_1228_At_Dog_Park_01.jpg

2013_1228_At_Dog_Park_02.jpg

Went out to check the Rokinon 14mm for infinity. Appears like I got a good one. Infinity looks to be when the lens is twisted all the way over. There was really light haze in the sky which made the stars a bit, blurred and flared a bit. Doesn't appear to be a lens problem.
2013_1227_Maple_Grove_MN_Water_Tower_With_Stars_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg

2013_1227_Street_At_Christmas_Time_by_Adam_J_Bavier_1023w.jpg

Ty! I think as a thread we raised the bar this year vs the past. Excellent photos from all - long exposures, bugs, women, all of it. Great work from all - Looking forward to next year

The snow/ice from the epic ice storm last week finally melted today, but not before I got some pics of it

11602390265_c1e72121d3_b.jpg

I hope to do a couple of urban glamour photoshoots with a couple of women here at Yokota over the next week...I feel it's time to start fleshing my portrait portfolio out with some less "sexy" shots as all I've got right now are women in various stages of undress. ;)

Thanks for the compliment.

This year has certainly had many great photos from everyone. Many gorgeous cityscapes, landscapes, beautiful women.

Here are a couple from the last day.

At the dog park this morning. I thought 1/800 of a second would be fast enough, and it wasn't for 50% of the photos. The dogs sure run fast. Next time I'm trying 1/1600. Then that'll show me how the AF is doing. Used 3D Matrix AF, appeared to jump a bit off the dogs face, so I'm going to try 9-point next time and see how it compares.
2013_1228_At_Dog_Park_01.jpg

[IM]http://adambavier.com/photos/photography/2013/1228_Rosie_Dog_Park/2013_1228_At_Dog_Park_02.jpg[/IM]

Went out to check the Rokinon 14mm for infinity. Appears like I got a good one. Infinity looks to be when the lens is twisted all the way over. There was really light haze in the sky which made the stars a bit, blurred and flared a bit. Doesn't appear to be a lens problem.
[IM]http://adambavier.com/photos/photography/2013/1227_Night_Stars/2013_1227_Maple_Grove_MN_Water_Tower_With_Stars_by_Adam_J_Bavier.jpg[/IM]
[IM]http://adambavier.com/photos/photography/2013/1227_Night_Stars/2013_1227_Street_At_Christmas_Time_by_Adam_J_Bavier_1023w.jpg[/IM]

sorry but, what kind of monster is that?

sorry but, what kind of monster is that?

She is a Standard Poodle. Brown hair, so gold eyes. She only looks like a monster when she is running fast, and her ears are flying back all the way. The dog park is one of her favorite places.

2013_1225_Rosie_Christmas_Morning_by_Adam_J_Bavier_1023w.jpg

Our waitress at Hooters let me take a picture. I had my friend be a "voice activated light stand" - bare flash, camera left, basically rembrandt lighting positioning with a single flash attempting to balance with ambient light. I used Nikon CLS for simplicity - flash compensation at -1 EV to help balance the flash with ambient.

Hooters Waitress in Tokyo by davidgevert, on Flickr

@Sean-I'm not a photographer at all. Hell, I cant take a single decent pic without a tripod. Even I know that for what you were aiming for requires the use of a tripod. That camera can't be moving. I got dizzy watching your video.lol

This year(2013) this thread only had 29 pages... I think we are losing our touch.. I thought in 2012 we had like 50 or more pages.... Lets try to make 2014 a productive year ;)

Happy New Years everyone...

Back