A few more from my indoor rain shoot

IMG_8563_pp_zpsf4455071.jpg

IMG_8457_zps42a0f210.jpg

IMG_8477_pp_zpsc15672c1.jpg

IMG_8449_pp_zps3e819e3b.jpg

IMG_8568_pp_zps74b11bae.jpg

rzepka_gizycko_las_miejski.jpg

rzepka_dzika_plaza_jesien.jpg

It is NOTHING compared to the attractive women that have appeared above my post.
I am being protested by Femen and it's like a fetish of mine :<

It is NOTHING compared to the attractive women that have appeared above my post.
I am being protested by Femen and it's like a fetish of mine :<

I suck at landscapes, so I stick with people. It just happens to be a plus when they're wet and wearing little bikinis. :D

Wow my poor little point and shot camera is so sad. Got me broke down in tears. I'm missing out on a whole new world. Some of these would make great wallpapers for me. I'm guessing it is okay to use them for that. Or I could pm the people that has them and ask. I'm not hard to get along with. Just don't want to to take and not ask about it. Keep up the great work people. I love coming in here and looking at all the different pictures you guys take. So a big thank you to everyone here posting them.

Wow my poor little point and shot camera is so sad. Got me broke down in tears. I'm missing out on a whole new world. Some of these would make great wallpapers for me. I'm guessing it is okay to use them for that. Or I could pm the people that has them and ask. I'm not hard to get along with. Just don't want to to take and not ask about it. Keep up the great work people. I love coming in here and looking at all the different pictures you guys take. So a big thank you to everyone here posting them.

There are a ton of talented people in here and they're all pretty friendly and ready to give advice. I'd just ask. Also, by asking, they might be nice enough to send you a higher res picture that'll look better stretched across your monitor.

What camera and lenses is everyone using here. I know everyone probably has a different one though. But what camera and lens and a price would be some great information. And perhaps what is a good priced camera to start out with. This would help out a great deal to most none camera using people.

What camera and lenses is everyone using here. I know everyone probably has a different one though. But what camera and lens and a price would be some great information. And perhaps what is a good priced camera to start out with. This would help out a great deal to most none camera using people.

There is an entire thread on the very subject of equipment: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=799458
Plenty of pages on equipment used.

As far as what to buy as a newbie... that question gets asked a lot, and there isn't a one size fits all solution. Cameras don't take pictures, people do. Cameras are a tool, the equipment is the least important part of the equation. It's no different than asking what guitar to buy (as I'm sure you're aware a skilled guitarist can pick up any guitar and make it sound good), or what kind of paint and brushes a painter uses. There are things like preferences, likes and dislikes, are feature sets that may be useful to the particular photographer in question, but ultimately that's all just garnish in comparison with what it takes to get a job done.

If you want an SLR, at this point any SLR made by Canon or Nikon in the past 5-7 years will be more than enough to get started. In terms of optics there of course are things that will be rated better or worse optically speaking, but generally everything even in that front is pretty darn good (considering that optics have existed for over a thousand years and cameras less than a few centuries). Even bad optics can become good if said reason for using bad optics is artistic choice. You can see that with toy cameras, Holgas, and other lens systems that intentionally have poor optics.

If a dSLR is too big for you, there are tons of options in u4/3 or with Fuji. Sony has the Nex series and an upcoming A7/A7n series of cameras.

But as I noted before, these tools are a small part of the equation. Really you'll have to spend a lot of time practicing, learning to see, understanding light and composition, or you'll soon find that even a $7000 1Dx or a $40,000 medium format system (like Phase) will all of a sudden take 'bad photos'. You can have the best hammers, nail guns, and construction tools and still not be able to build a house. Similarly you can have the best camera gear and not be able to make a picture. I realize I've now said this several times with different analogies in this reply, but it's truly important to drive this point home. Photography is probably the least understood creative art. Because people think it's about pressing one button and then instantly getting an 'awesome' result out of the other-side, and therefore (in the minds of the general public) it's obviously the gear that is the important part. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Uncle Bob's at weddings have 5D3s, they get obsessed with gear and want to have the best because they think that will improve their work. If you've ever seen an "Uncle Bob's" photos, generally they'll get one or two good ones out of a thousand, or several thousand. That's just luck and spray and pray. Spend time learning and even a Rebel XT with a 35mm f/2 will be able to produce better, more consistent, results.

Last edited:
Oct. 26th Ft. Worth Tx,

Captured this one from my Phone before a big storm system moved in.

I think I have some work to do on recognizing good light for the purposes of landscape photography. I did a trip out to a couple of the lakes surrounding Mt. Fuji, and I got some shots I like, but for the most part the weather and light just didn't feel right. And it wasn't a particularly nice sunset.

This first one was a challenging photo, I thought. The light was quickly fading, and I wanted to shoot at a small aperture to ensure that I got both the foreground and background in focus. But I also needed a faster shutter speed to ensure that the flowers weren't blurry from a light wind. I ended up having to go to a fairly high ISO, but my new camera handled that just fine.

Mt. Fuji from Lake Kawaguchi by davidgevert, on Flickr

I like this one:

From the shores of Lake Kawaguchi by davidgevert, on Flickr

Many of us are not posting pictures directly from the camera. They are tweaked for black levels, contrast, color saturation, white balance, cropped etc. Most of the new cameras today allow you to go in and adjust the pictures settings so you have less work at the computer when shooting JPGs. Though shooting RAW camera files give much more leeway on processing and you'll wonder how you lived without it.

You can do all those tweaks with your point and shoot, and improve your pictures also. Lets not get caught up in processing, and forget to always work on getting a better picture from the start.

Just PM people if you'd like a specific resolution for a desktop background. I know I'd be OK with a request like that from a fellow forum member.

My current digital camera is the 4 year old Nikon D300S. Also have 3 film cameras Mamiya C330 TLR, Pentax Spotmatic and an old Brownie Hawkeye camera. The film cameras just slow me down and make me really think. Though I'm going to be retiring the film cameras here after I shoot my last handful of film. I just can't get good enough scans from my desktop scanner to make all the effort worthwhile, and paying for highres scans is expensive. Makes more sense to put the money towards a new DSLR :D.

Got a new camera! You'll have to click on a Flickr link to find out what I bought. :D
Nice! I'm 75% the way there. I spent two weekends out shooting the Milky Way with my D300 on some dark moonless nights. So humbling seeing the Milky Way, such an awesome experience. I know that they could have been so much clearer and with better color if I had used a full frame camera. The D300 just isn't made for shooting ISO 3200 let alone the 6400 that most people use.

Here are a few of my latest. Shot on Lomochrome Purple negative film, using my Mamiya C330 TLR film camera. Scanned on a Epson V500 scanner with Vuescan using the advanced workflow, Kodak Internegative profile, 0 black point, 0 white point, and lastly as a 48 bit Tiff. Processed in Lightroom 5: adjusted purple hue, saturation and luminance, and set the black and white points.

2013_0922_View_from_Gunflint_Trail_Road_by_Adam_Bavier_675x675.jpg

View along the Gunflint Trail Road looking north east. Approximate coordinates +47° 55' 7.68", -90° 17' 46.00"

2013_0922_Swamper_Lake_on_the_Gunflint_Trail_Road_by_Adam_Bavier_675x675.jpg

Swamper Lake on the Gunflint Trail road.

2013_0923_Wildlife_Refuge_Area_just_off_Arrowhead_Trail_Road_MN_by_Adam_Bavier_675x675.jpg

Wildlife refuge off the Arrowhead Trail Road. 47°56'2" N 89°58'13" W

2013_1013_Crex_Meadows_WI_Sunrise_1_by_Adam_Bavier_675x675.jpg

Crex Meadows Wildlife Area, WI. +45° 51' 33.67", -92° 35' 27.20"

2013_1013_Crex_Meadows_WI_Sunrise_2_by_Adam_Bavier_675x675.jpg

Crex Meadows Wildlife Area, WI. +45° 51' 33.67", -92° 35' 27.20"

A couple from way back in august....

The mist robbed so much color from this, the addition of it back in enhanced some of the fringing pretty badly. Still like it tho.
a-2013_08_11-Pilchuck-4634-2-psp.jpg

Turning around, looking up the hill
a-2013_08_11-Pilchuck-4640-2-psp.jpg

^Stunning work BB!

Congrats on the purchase :)

Looks like you need some GND filters
Was about to say the same. I was never a big fan of using filters, but once I tried a 2-stop soft GND, I immediately changed my mind about filters. In any case, congrats on the purchase! D800 is an amazing beast!

Yeah, I guess so...the D800 certainly lends itself well to those kinds of carefully controlled and executed shots.

The lack of detail on the mountain was from hazy atmospheric conditions though.

I just haven't really been able to get nice colors on a sunset (or sunrise for that matter) for landscape shots yet...I haven't really done enough landscape work to run into those kinds of conditions. The best sunrise I've ever photographed was with my mobile phone while waiting for my flight to Japan from Seattle. :(

Still practicing portraits:

i-NCnq8Gw-XL.jpg

i-3Qg8HTv-XL.jpg

i-nqNRDNN-XL.jpg

C&C welcome. I've got a long way ahead of me. I have no idea what to do with the arms, lol.

Last edited:
Honestly? The composition looks fine (though maybe stronger in portrait orientation), the light looks fine, the focus is dead-on, the editing is OK...but she doesn't look comfortable at all.

Northrop, I like the first one!

One more, this time messing with a little bit of split toning to add a little more interesting color to the sky.

Hah, I thought by "Fuji Sunset" you meant fuji camera. This one is great! I'd try a gradient in lightroom at the horizon level and lower the exposure a tiny bit on the top half (maybe -0.2?). It essentially as the same effect as a GND. Also bump up clarity a lot to bring out the details in the mountain.

Honestly? The composition looks fine (though maybe stronger in portrait orientation), the light looks fine, the focus is dead-on, the editing is OK...but she doesn't look comfortable at all.
Thanks. As for her not being comfortable, I think it may have something to do with the rain and the low temps. I guess next time I need to arm my backpack with a flask filled with rum ;)
Northrop, I like the first one!
Happy to hear that. :D

A couple from way back in august....

The mist robbed so much color from this, the addition of it back in enhanced some of the fringing pretty badly. Still like it tho.
a-2013_08_11-Pilchuck-4634-2-psp.jpg

Turning around, looking up the hill
a-2013_08_11-Pilchuck-4640-2-psp.jpg

Love these shots! I haven't been able to capture these kinda shots with the sun rays throught the wood type. Great Job!

Thanks Ahn and Northrup - got lucky with right place, right time.

This is what it looked like on the way up in nearly the same spot about 4 hours earlier -
a-2013_08_11-pilchuck-4510.jpg

And what it looked like from the top of the mountain -
a-2013_08_11-pilchuck-mpb-03942-PANO.jpg

This was the original treatment of the first image, with no cropping - when taking the picture I missed that my daughter was in frame, on the way out. I debated a for a while whether to crop or not....

a-2013_08_11-pilchuck-4634.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful shots Daggah! How you like the new camera?

I like it, but I sense that my wallet will not agree with me. I already want a 70-200 f/2.8 VR II and the 16-35 f/4 VR. Right now I have "only" two lenses, the 50 f/1.8G and the 24-70 f/2.8.

Also, I thought my D7000 with lenses was heavy...

It's definitely an impressive camera for the sheer image quality it produces.

If I get the D800E, I'll have the 35mm Hartblei Tilt Shift, Nikon 50mm D and 70-300 G, and Samyang 14mm. I think that would cover everything.;)

If only hartblei made a tilt wider than 35mm =\

If only...

Would surely be nice. There is the Samyang 24mm, but that is over 3 times the cost I paid for this one. I've made some good photos, when using the shifting feature, to correct verticals. It probably isn't sharp enough for the D800.

And the 50d on d800 is atrocious. Guess how I know.

You have the D800?:cool: I'd only use the 50mm around F/2.8 to F/5.6. With half body portraits at family events I don't need it critically sharp. I kind of like it also for taking star shots at F/1.8. The flare of the bright stars is kind of nice because it accentuates them.

I really want a full frame camera for night landscape work. I'm slightly addicted to the Milk Way now:p, and would like to get significantly better pictures.

Still debating between the D800 and D610. In reviews I've read the D800 shadows tend to be a little purple vs the D610 which appear perfect. Not sure how this plays out in practice, and with processing in Lightroom. Anyone here have experience?:confused:

Just scanned a roll of fireworks film from July. Finally sent it in to get processed. Wish I remembered if these were taken on F/11 or F/16. Fuji HQ ISO 200 film.

Found this shot interesting. The balls of light in the bottom third of the frame are those super bright white explosion fireworks that only serve to blind you. Awesome that the film doesn't blow out and the small trails can be seen. Full resolution crop of the explosions.
2013_0713_Maple_Grove_Days_Fireworks_-_14_by_Adam_Bavier.jpg

2013_0713_Maple_Grove_Days_Fireworks_-_24_by_Adam_Bavier.jpg

I like it, but I sense that my wallet will not agree with me. I already want a 70-200 f/2.8 VR II and the 16-35 f/4 VR. Right now I have "only" two lenses, the 50 f/1.8G and the 24-70 f/2.8.

Also, I thought my D7000 with lenses was heavy...

It's definitely an impressive camera for the sheer image quality it produces.
The absolute worst thing that you can do with the D800, is attaching the best possible piece of glass you can get your hands on. It's going to ruin you, your savings, and drive you into a vicious circle, always trying to find the next best lens. I'm about 1, maybe 2 more lens purchases before my backpack will be worth more than my car :rolleyes: I'm not particularly proud of it either... but holy cow, do I love looking through some of my images every now and then. The detail, the colors, the depth... it's a thing of beauty.

As a hobbyist, it's hard for me to justify dropping $1-2k on a lens, but somehow, I always manage to convince myself to buy one anyway. No regrets yet, but the shopping list isn't getting any shorter either :p
Still debating between the D800 and D610. In reviews I've read the D800 shadows tend to be a little purple vs the D610 which appear perfect. Not sure how this plays out in practice, and with processing in Lightroom. Anyone here have experience?:confused:
I've only noticed it with black dogs, my sis' Labrador for example. It's nothing to worry about, and I haven't really noticed it in any of my landscape work (nothing that really stood out, anyway).

Yeah, I know I don't need to spend that kind of money as a hobbyist (though I do hope to soon start making some cash on the side from this endeavor) but the gear nerd in me just likes having nice things.

I feel fairly confident that a 16-35/24-70/70-200 trio of zooms will satisfy my urges for gear other than probably wanting to get my hands on a 85mm f/1.8. And I suppose that if Nikon were to update their outdated 35mm f/2 with a modern version, I'd buy that too (not interested in the 35 f/1.4 or the Sigma version.)

Yeah, I know I don't need to spend that kind of money as a hobbyist (though I do hope to soon start making some cash on the side from this endeavor) but the gear nerd in me just likes having nice things.

I feel fairly confident that a 16-35/24-70/70-200 trio of zooms will satisfy my urges for gear other than probably wanting to get my hands on a 85mm f/1.8. And I suppose that if Nikon were to update their outdated 35mm f/2 with a modern version, I'd buy that too (not interested in the 35 f/1.4 or the Sigma version.)
That's pretty much what I have right now, 14-24/24-70/70-200 and I picked up the 85/1.4 in January of this year, and it quickly became my workhorse. I'd like to add more primes to my lineup, however, I still can't decide which one to go with, I'm torn between the 24 and the 35 (although that $2k asking price for the 24 pretty much delays that purchase), not to mention the 58 is peaking my interest. :eek:

Back