A Picture I took - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the stark contrast of the cozy red room and the frigid snowy window view. Then you have the popcorn roof gives off a cool vibe and the red ruck covered in snow is the icing on the cake

American Dipper.
I love these birds but they can be dificult to photograph as they are always diving for food in rivers.
6717415521_82f6b3ab27_b.jpg

A few early 2012 shots:

With new/used 35L:
6698243213_37158b5166_b.jpg

Shot with my $20 super takumar 55 1.8 manual focus lens on my 5d2:
6698244721_a3a13a2874_b.jpg

Capitol fisheye:
6616723801_a3e38f86d9_b.jpg

6616726345_0b0e9586f3_b.jpg

Ohh - and Darktiger, congratulations on the impending new addition! Great news for a new year... !

HAHAHAH BB... "Where's all my stuff?" You've been pwned oldest daughter!

lol. :)

Took two years to convert the son's room (son is 2 years older than this daughter) to the exercise room. Maybe when the next one leaves for good (currently at college), it will take all of two weeks to reclaim the room. :)

BB

lol. :)

Took two years to convert the son's room (son is 2 years older than this daughter) to the exercise room. Maybe when the next one leaves for good (currently at college), it will take all of two weeks to reclaim the room. :)

BB

I smell studio :D

Took until mid January but it finally snowed this winter up here on Vancouver Island!

IMG_8957.jpg

IMG_8950.jpg

@olddeadone: Canon 60D w/ Sigma 30mm f/1.4: ISO 100, f/1.4, 1/1000sec ;)

Last edited:
Good God people,I wish you all would include your exif data in your photos so I can tel what lens and shutter speed etc you used in taking your shots...

People, I wish you all would include your exif data in your photos so I can tell what lens and shutter speed etc you used in taking your shots...

^^^Edited your Post.

And I do agree it would be nice to see how you Guy's get these shots, although it would make the thread longer.

ComputerGeek,adding exif data doesn't make a thread longer,the exif data is in the photo itself. And there is nothing wrong with my post :p

6 months after the oldest daughter moved out - her room is OURS! IKEA shelving and Office Depot cheap desk. We finally have a "Study"! :)

3 exposure HDR, 50D and Tokina 12-24
2012_01_15-library-7686-HDR1.jpg

BB

Awesome you converted that room and I love that hardwood floor!

ComputerGeek,adding exif data doesn't make a thread longer,the exif data is in the photo itself. And there is nothing wrong with my post :p

OK I thought you meant to actually copy and paste the Exif data into your post. I know that alot of the Photo sharing site members seem to be using don't support Exif Data, and I hardly think that they will change their photo sharing service just for this. ;)

I'd Just like to clean up the forums a little bit so it safe for all ages, I'd like to be able to let my son on here someday, but at this rate he's going to have to wait awhile. :p

But, its cool people have said a lot worse than you.

I gotta quit slacking and get some photography done this year! This is one of the only ones I've taken yet this year that wasn't boring work stuff. Was playing around with my macro lens trying to get something with easily recognizable scale so as to show off the 1-to-1 ratio, and ended up with this. Nice dramatic lighting from tungsten ambients and a headlamp.

dire-quarter.jpg

I'm like 90% sure the FBI isn't going to come after me for posting this photo. :p

Walked all morning with the camera the other day and found out when I got back that I must have somehow switched it from raw to medium sized jpegs. Wasn't too happy. Results were still good though I think.
Just a couple.

6736142821_f6ae79f3d3_b.jpg

Ginger's on Flickr

6736108663_4535b71cc5_b.jpg

The Primrose Path on Flickr

Last edited:
Sorry, exif info didn't carry over. Links to flickr should work now, they were set to private. Apparently I've been on drugs or something :rolleyes:

The shot of Ginger's was 1/10th shutter with f/5.0 ISO 400.

Shot of the school was 1/40 shutter; aperture and ISO were same as above.

Both were taken with an Oly E-3 at 14mm.

Everett High School's production of the off off off broadway musical Sympathy Jones.
All with 50D and 24-105 f/4L or 85mm f/1.8

ISO: 1600, Exposure: 1/50 sec, Aperture: 4.0, Focal Length: 105mm
b-2012_01_22-EHS-sympathy-jones-7690.jpg

ISO: 1600, Exposure: 1/60 sec, Aperture: 4.0, Focal Length: 105mm
b-2012_01_22-EHS-sympathy-jones-7728.jpg

ISO: 1600, Exposure: 1/60 sec, Aperture: 4.0, Focal Length: 105mm
b-2012_01_22-EHS-sympathy-jones-7734.jpg

ISO: 800, Exposure: 1/125 sec, Aperture: 2.5, Focal Length: 85mm
b-2012_01_22-EHS-sympathy-jones-7803.jpg

ISO: 800, Exposure: 1/125 sec, Aperture: 2.0, Focal Length: 85mm
b-2012_01_22-EHS-sympathy-jones-7829.jpg

ISO: 800, Exposure: 1/125 sec, Aperture: 1.8, Focal Length: 85mm
b-2012_01_22-EHS-sympathy-jones-7901.jpg

How did you get high ISO shots that clean? Granted only have a T1i, but in reviews it did really well with high ISO, but everytime I shoot high ISO (800, 1600) it is too grainy to even edit properly, much less print.

Thanks,

-Tad

Tad - you should definitely be able to get useable shots at 800. The key is to expose properly. If you expose to the left and correct in post, you will get much more noise than exposing properly in the first instance. Good post-processing and web-sized images help too :)

Last edited:
Resizing to about 15% of original size helps. ;)

Lightroom 3.0 noise reduction value of 25 for both color and luminance. Combined with not lightening the dark areas too much in post processing.

I'll post some 1:1 crops when I get back home so you can see the actual noise.

<edit>and yeah, what botw said - getting the correct exposure is a must at high ISOs</edit>

BB

@BB Gun and botw

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I've had my T1i for few years, and have never looked at a histogram... I should probably start :) Time for some experiments!

-Tad

@BB Gun and botw

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I've had my T1i for few years, and have never looked at a histogram... I should probably start :) Time for some experiments!

-Tad

Have a good time experimenting.

Select an appropriate white balance. Will help with less processing later, and a better ability to judge the histogram on the camera.
Nail the exposure. You want it so you don't have to brighten the image in post.
Use the histogram. On my Nikon D300s I can zoom in on the picture, and see a histogram for just the currently viewed area. Can really help, see if your camera has that.
Shoot Raw.

The 1/125 that BB Gun used helps stop the action of the actors that are moving. If you are shooting high iso you want the sharpest image possible, so that means using appropriate shutter speeds and not letting them become too long. I wouldn't go under 1/50 to 1/60 if there is any movement.

I've found that Lightroom does a very good job on cleaning up color noise with it's default processing. Better than Capture NX2 -- if I shoot high iso stuff it is straight into lightroom.

As mentioned the resizing helps. A bit of noise isn't going to show up when printed on a 4x6 or 8x10 or when resized down to web resolution.

@BB Gun and botw

-Tad

Ironically - theater photography is the hardest to deal with regarding histograms. You'll note that there is a TON of black in the images above, which REALLY skews the histogram. I usually work using manual exposure, and expose to avoid/minimize blown highlights as noted by the flashing parts of the image in the after-shot preview. I usually set this per scene due to the lighting changes. If the lighting is changing a lot in a particular scene, I sometimes use shutter priority, center weighted average metering and then compensate the exposure down 1.5 to 2.5 stops to avoid the blowouts that would otherwise occur because of all the darkness in the scene. Some would say use spot metering, but I find that too often gives me unacceptable results, its too precise and/or doesn't allow me to focus, then recompose easily (one more button to use for exposure lock).

No matter what, you always have to be mindful of how the lighting is changing on the set or in whatever situation for which you need that high-iso.

BB

nice pic of vegas smitty! did you also do a night version of that shot?

darktiger, I love that first pic of danboard and the dragon! happy chinese new year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back