A Picture I took - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up with a hangover on New Years morning. While all my guests were still sleeping I got on the roof and snapped this picture. It is an HDR merge in SNS-HDR
newyearcrop-XL.jpg

New Years Morning by Smitty2k1 AKA Panama Pat

need to take some this year, camera has been collecting dust :(

Happy new year everyone.
I shot all morning with my white balance set to florecent by acedent but some came out ok.
Nothing great but good birding.

6655575127_bfb8498446_b.jpg

6655559713_4a1c3f7261_b.jpg

6655552351_9165471178_b.jpg

Happy New Year All

I took this the other day, does anyone know to make the lights appear less pointy/soft? Is this how they're supposed to turn out? Will I need a different lens? If so, which?

dsc06531la.jpg

Happy New Year All

I took this the other day, does anyone know to make the lights appear less pointy/soft? Is this how they're supposed to turn out? Will I need a different lens? If so, which?

dsc06531la.jpg

What aperture did you shoot at? Looks like it's set too high, hence you get the 'spikes' where the light diffracts from your aperture edges. Try retaking it with a lower aperture (e.g. f12 instead of f4), will have to increase your iso and/or shutter open time though.

What aperture did you shoot at? Looks like it's set too high, hence you get the 'spikes' where the light diffracts from your aperture edges. Try retaking it with a lower aperture (e.g. f12 instead of f4), will have to increase your iso and/or shutter open time though.

Zxcs, you have that backwards. Looking at the exif data, the picture was taken at F/32 and 132 seconds. F/32 is really stopped down. He wants a lower number like f/2.8, not f/12.

Empty Quarter, you should try taking it at F/2.8. That appears to be the max aperture you can use. I'd guess the spikes will almost completely go away. You might get a bit of coma of the lights, so you might want to use F/4. Try both then pick the one you like best. Your exposure will be a lot shorter though, so the light streaks on the cars won't be as long.

I like the spikes on images like this.

Maple_Grove_MN_Water_Tower_Flash_Photography_by_Adam_Bavier.jpg

Took this picture tonight. Used three flashes located off camera to the right. Two flashes were directly on the water tower, and one flash was lighting the grass. This was mostly an experiment to see if I could light the whole thing. I was planning on having all four flashes lighting the tower, but found out that my built in flash wasn't wanting to trigger everything, so took the quick way out and put the 4th flash on the camera as the commander with the head point to the right. The on camera flash was probably not working because I was looking away from the off camera flashes, instead of the flashes being in front of us a bit and in the line of site. I wanted them way off to the right so that I'd get a bit of contrast. Time to get some radio triggers!

Taken at F/2.8, ISO 640, 1/2 second hand held. I used a longer exposure, so that a bit of color from the parking lot lights would creep in and make it not so stale looking and so that the clouds came out a bit.

Is that the watertower by Maple Grove Pkwy and Upland?

I work right by the Fish Lake Road water tower.

[ING]http://adambavier.com/photos/photography/2012/0108/Maple_Grove_MN_Water_Tower_Flash_Photography_by_Adam_Bavier.jpg[/IMG]

Took this picture tonight. Used three flashes located off camera to the right. Two flashes were directly on the water tower, and one flash was lighting the grass. This was mostly an experiment to see if I could light the whole thing. I was planning on having all four flashes lighting the tower, but found out that my built in flash wasn't wanting to trigger everything, so took the quick way out and put the 4th flash on the camera as the commander with the head point to the right. The on camera flash was probably not working because I was looking away from the off camera flashes, instead of the flashes being in front of us a bit and in the line of site. I wanted them way off to the right so that I'd get a bit of contrast. Time to get some radio triggers!

Taken at F/2.8, ISO 640, 1/2 second hand held. I used a longer exposure, so that a bit of color from the parking lot lights would creep in and make it not so stale looking and so that the clouds came out a bit.

Is that the watertower by Maple Grove Pkwy and Upland?

I work right by the Fish Lake Road water tower.

Yes that is indeed the Maple Grove water tower near Maple Grove Parkway. I live right near it so it is a frequent photography subject. I have an entire post on my blog with information and many more pictures - Maple Grove's Water Towers. Even have a few cool fireworks photos in there from Maple Grove Days.

I don't have very many pictures of the water tower on Sycamore Ln. N near East Fishlake Road. If you ever get a good one, contact me and I'll put it up in the photo album with an attribute to you.

Well i did not take the picture per se, but still

402841_10100427827691967_29622837_49845658_23433814_n.jpg

Not my Picture But had to post this. For Some reason it looks Fake though? Grass is in Focus bricks are not, Idk Maybe is Just me the dof does not look right for some reason! It's all to Perfect.

Anyway, it was Photo of the day on http://www.dailydigitalphoto.com

_MG_0323_edited-1.jpg

Well the blurred pathway is a combination of depth of field, the HDR processing, and the smothness of the bricks. The picture looks like it was created using an HDR process that then had local contrast, sharpenning and saturation applied at the end.

The place is called Oak Alley Plantation - Google Image Search.

Cool location though with some mighty fine trees.

Zxcs, you have that backwards. Looking at the exif data, the picture was taken at F/32 and 132 seconds. F/32 is really stopped down. He wants a lower number like f/2.8, not f/12.

Empty Quarter, you should try taking it at F/2.8. That appears to be the max aperture you can use. I'd guess the spikes will almost completely go away. You might get a bit of coma of the lights, so you might want to use F/4. Try both then pick the one you like best. Your exposure will be a lot shorter though, so the light streaks on the cars won't be as long.

I like the spikes on images like this.

@f/2.8 I wouldn't be able to set a really long shutter speed though, no? I am after the long-exposure effect. I'd have to decrease the exposure by quite a bit and raise ISO = grain galore, correct?

You can use an ND filter to accomplish that

@f/2.8 I wouldn't be able to set a really long shutter speed though, no? I am after the long-exposure effect. I'd have to decrease the exposure by quite a bit and raise ISO = grain galore, correct?

There wouldn't be any reason to raise the ISO. Turn the ISO down as low as it will go, like 100 or so, and that should help keep your shutter time nice and long. I'd say try a medium-narrow aperture like f/8 or so, and see what that does for the star effect.

Then again, I personally like the star effect quite a bit - it gives that photo a lot of personality imo. Some people actually buy lens-filters to add that effect, or photoshop it in post. So it's nice to know you can get that effect when desired by cranking down your aperture on that lens.

You can use an ND filter to accomplish that

Yeah if using your lowest ISO setting doesn't get the image dark enough to use a long shutter-speed, you can use a neutral density or even a polarizing filter to darken it. Just depends on how much time you need to add.

Last edited:
Congrats Stanford! That's awesome :)

Looks like your kid is growing up pretty damned quick, Chris ;p

Haven't really had a chance to shoot anything in 2012 yet, but I did snap this from my front-row / centre seat at this guy's seminar!

c4RSe.jpg

I think I was the only person in the building with a Canon... Nikon NPS had a couple of tables set up in the lobby and I got to play with a D4 though - pretty nice!

Took this while walking back to the car after the Red Bull Crashed Ice even in Saint Paul.

MN_State_Capitol_Night_of_Crashed_Ice_by_Adam_Bavier_1024x768.jpg

ISO800, 1/9th sec, F/2.9

Taken with my old Fuji S7000 prosumer camera from 2003 because I didn't want to bring my DSLR to a standing room only event with 80,000 people. Was kind of crazy because you could barely see the track, and had to watch the big screens the entire time - which could have been done in the comfort of your own living room with the wonders of live streaming.

Last edited:
6 months after the oldest daughter moved out - her room is OURS! IKEA shelving and Office Depot cheap desk. We finally have a "Study"! :)

3 exposure HDR, 50D and Tokina 12-24
2012_01_15-library-7686-HDR1.jpg

BB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back