A Picture I took - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to post cell phone pics, that's fine, but at least post decent ones.

Still learning how to use my D3100 I got as a gift in September. I think I am starting to learn the limitations of the lens it came with:

Includes 3x 18-55mm Zoom-NIKKOR VR Image Stabilization Lens with legendary NIKKOR optical quality and fast, accurate autofocus for vivid color, striking contrast and crisp detail and VR image stabilization to ensure the sharpest hand-held pictures and movies.
(lols)

Anyway, I made a cake for the baby shower my wife had while we were visiting the in laws:

Pea in the Pod by Modred189f, on Flickr

Shower Cake by Modred189f, on Flickr

Christmas Elf by Modred189f, on Flickr

CHilly Woodstock by Modred189f, on Flickr

And they gave us this insane mobile from Japan where my sisters-in law were born. The thing is 5 feet tall. 0.o

Japanese Neon Mobile Insanity by Modred189f, on Flickr

Feedback and critique welcome!

Edit: also learning that flikr auto-resizes, so I should have uploaded the full sized images. Agh, growing pains.

Happy to see you're enjoying your D3100, Modred. Use Minus for uploads to get full sized shots. I would also suggest dumping the 18-55 kit lens and stepping up to a simple 50mm fixed focal length lens-that should get you started with your first foray into quality glass. The fixed focal length will force you to adapt to the lack of zoom by moving around and improving the composition of your shots. :) Finally, invest in a copy of Adobe Lightroom 4, by and far the best photo processing software for DSLRs.

If you're going to post cell phone pics, that's fine, but at least post decent ones.

This-please stop photo bombing the thread with shitty cellphone pictures. There are some amazing photographers in this thread-don't undermine their work. BTW Daggah that last shot of the metro platform is superb, perfect exposure and contrast.

Last edited:
Happy to see you're enjoying your D3100, Modred. Use Minus for uploads to get full sized shots. I would also suggest dumping the 18-55 kit lens and stepping up to a simple 50mm fixed focal length lens-that should get you started with your first foray into quality glass. The fixed focal length will force you to adapt to the lack of zoom by moving around and improving the composition of your shots. :) Finally, invest in a copy of Adobe Lightroom 4, by and far the best photo processing software for DSLRs.
Thanks! already picked up Lightroom. I know Photoshop, but the sheer number of options and tweaks in LR is insane. Will take some time to really learn. I used FLickr because I want to try out the LR integration.
I was actually eyeballing a few 40mm and 50mm lenses over at B&H, but need to do some research. I have a baby coming in March (hence the shower and cake) and will need something better than the stock lens.

Thanks! already picked up Lightroom. I know Photoshop, but the sheer number of options and tweaks in LR is insane. Will take some time to really learn. I used FLickr because I want to try out the LR integration.
I was actually eyeballing a few 40mm and 50mm lenses over at B&H, but need to do some research. I have a baby coming in March (hence the shower and cake) and will need something better than the stock lens.

The 35mm is also a popular one on the Nikon side of things. Worth checking out.

Modred189, I picked up a Sigma 1.4 50mm from eBay for 300 for my d5100. The Bokkah on this lens is astonishing. If you are in the market for a Prime lens this is worth looking at.

Modred, your pictures all look good to me. I don't "see" any limitations with your lens coming through in the pictures.

On the super close-up picture of the bean you missed the focus on the black eyes causing a bit of purple to come out in the out of focus area. That would have been a good time to stop the lens down to F/11 or higher to get some more depth in focus.

ibunP1yOq54TWY.jpg

ifE9moPrIZJDl.JPG

ibwF5bnbabQd4s.JPG

Last edited:

Self Portrait in Seoul by davidgevert, on Flickr

Deoksugung Palace by davidgevert, on Flickr

Can't decide if I like my post-processing on this one...the color is gloomy, but so was the weather so in a way, it fits. I wish I had my tripod for this shot so I could do a long exposure and get rid of people as well. Oh well.

Also, when I swapped my D5100 for a D7000 with 18-105 kit lens...I figured I'd sell the kit lens as soon as my 17-55 2.8 gets here. But now I don't think I will...I really like the flexibility of the range that it covers. Sure, it's a variable aperture kit lens, but it's sharp and for outdoors shots it does pretty well.

Also does portraits decently:

Kyle enjoying Seoul by davidgevert, on Flickr

Daggah, 2nd pic is a bit warm-could use a couple of clicks down on the temp scale...looks good otherwise! 3rd photo is a fantastic portrait :)

Which crop do you guys like better out of these two? Second has some additional work done on highlights as well

cnPol.jpg

O5Z4u.jpg

Last edited:
I like both the colors and cropping of the first image. The second image is too flat and the colors feel muted.

My son and his fiance... (apologies for the facebook compression)

740256_3656586388207_1856773391_o.jpg

207734_3653499111027_766148060_n.jpg

BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back