• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

A home for my SR-2

The original Stacker is larger than the 1200.

is it? damn thought the 1200 was bigger.. guess i wasnt looking at a picture of the original stacker then.. oops.. either way they are both huge ass cases..
 
How much space should there be underneath the top shelf, maybe enough for a power supply lying on its side?

KendrakTestStationf.jpg
 
I would like to see a different configuration for hard drives. I've got the HSPC Top Deck and I've found the built in drive mounting solution sucks. I'd much rather see things configured differently. I've like to see something that allows me to mount four individual hard drives in place. I'd also like a decent place for my optical drive to go. Though that could just go next to the PSU on the bottom.
 
I would like to see a different configuration for hard drives. I've got the HSPC Top Deck and I've found the built in drive mounting solution sucks. I'd much rather see things configured differently. I've like to see something that allows me to mount four individual hard drives in place. I'd also like a decent place for my optical drive to go. Though that could just go next to the PSU on the bottom.

Would a simple cage like this be okay?

HDCage1.jpg
 
As for Fan Mounting, I would prefer an option for side mounted (to maybe mount a couple of H50's on the side or to push air into an air cooler from the side) as well.

Or if it is not too much trouble, pre-drill both side locations as well as front to give us the option as to where the fan mounts would be located.
 
As for Fan Mounting, I would prefer an option for side mounted (to maybe mount a couple of H50's on the side or to push air into an air cooler from the side) as well.

Or if it is not too much trouble, pre-drill both side locations as well as front to give us the option as to where the fan mounts would be located.

Yeah, there's going to be holes all around the middle of the top shelf for mounting fans and what not.
 
you know another idea could be to put 2 bars 1 across the back and front.. the one thats already there for mounting the gpu's to and the other for mounting the fans so that they arent just hanging there in mid air with a thin piece of metal trying to hold them up.. gives more stability to the fans..

also if your going to have the board sitting an inch off the platform ya might as well setup the fans so they move air across the top and the bottom of the board otherwise your better off putting shorter offsets so that you dont have to use such a big piece of metal to hold the fans above the board.. would allow you to remove 1/4 inch to half inch off the metal plate which again would give better stability and make the whole thing lighter for shipping..
 
So how many people are going to get one of these... It seems like 3 or 4.

Also on height for the lower deck. PSU on side +1 inch.
 
Last edited:
Would a simple cage like this be okay?

HDCage1.jpg

Absolutely. Just something to secure it so that I can plug the drives into most motherboards without using extra long cables and I'll be happy. The drive setup in the Top Deck station lacks any retention of the hard drives. Picking up and moving the station without pulling the drives out can lead to "bad things." I just feel better about securing my drives.
 
So how many people are going to get one of these... It seems like 3 or 4.

I might be interested. I eventually want to get a regular case for the SR-2, but I need a test bench regardless.
 
I might be up for one. Especially if it's adaptable to smaller MBs in case I decide not to build up my SR-2.
 
I think I'll stick with the "mobo on a box" method for a little while longer.

At least until my wallet stops hurting so much.
 
Latest model with added height and HD cage:

snip



i noticed that you raised the height between the top and lower shelf.. is this so that you could fit the hard drive cage? if so why not just directly mount the cage to the lower shelf and top shelf giving more stability and hell could probably add a 5th hard drive slot or put more space between the drives..

just a theory.. either way still looks bad ass..
 
i noticed that you raised the height between the top and lower shelf.. is this so that you could fit the hard drive cage? if so why not just directly mount the cage to the lower shelf and top shelf giving more stability and hell could probably add a 5th hard drive slot or put more space between the drives..

just a theory.. either way still looks bad ass..

The extra height was to have enough room for a PSU on its side + 1-inch. And yeah, I still need to figure out a clean way to fasten the HD cage to the bench.

When can you start on mine?

:)

When? Like I said when you first approached me, after the SR-2 case is done..
 
Last edited:
So how many people are going to get one of these... It seems like 3 or 4.

Also on height for the lower deck. PSU on side +1 inch.

I've already set the money aside for this and RAM. I sold a couple more things thiis week that'll pay for coolers with some left over towards the MoBo.

I've exchanged a couple of emails with spotswood and will likely place my order next week. I understand that it may be a few weeks before I see it, but I'm obviously not in a big hurry as I still have a ways to go on parts.

I'll have 60 hours booked this week and 5 hours are going towards this new rig and that should cover the remainder of the MoBo and 1 CPU (e5620). I am still looking at possibly going x5650, but that is a $1100 price difference (for 2 CPUs).
 
I'd recomend getting the 30's if you can swing the price, but forwhat it's worth I think your 20's will match my 55 series 30's
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
MountainMods.com also have a case that fits the SR-2. Ever tried them?
 
Is it just the tray or can it be used in one of their larger cases? I thought you could mod one of their larger cases with that SR-2 tray.
 
Is it just the tray or can it be used in one of their larger cases? I thought you could mod one of their larger cases with that SR-2 tray.

The tray with a case is over $400. That is way more than I'm willing to spend on a part that does nothing to help my points per day for folding. It will also force me to lower my OC because no matter how good a cases airflow it can't beat an opend test bech setup.

For the difference in price I could be 1/2 way to building another i7 rig.

If it can't be done "cheaply" that SR-2 board will sit on the cardboard box or a plank of wood for all I care. How it is mounted makes no difference in the ppd.
 
Okay, sorry. Just offering up suggestions. Good luck with your case.
 
i think it looks better like that.. more stable will take any of the wobble and vibration out of the cage when you only have 1 drive in it..
 
I've been looking for cases with doors to replace some of my old server cases, because the door will hide the beige drives. :D

I broke down and ordered a Mountain Mods U2-UFO for my SR-2. I'm planning to use it as my main desktop PC, so I figured it needed a decent case. I probably won't get it for another month since I'm getting some custom work done (dual PSU openings on the back).
 
Love my Lian Li V1000 or something with the door on the front!
The door is super easy to remove if you want!
Actually converting it today to be my server case!
 
Love my Lian Li V1000 or something with the door on the front!
The door is super easy to remove if you want!
Actually converting it today to be my server case!

Too each their own. Every case I've ever seen looks terrible with the door removed. My solution is simple. I just don't buy cases that have front doors on them. Problem solved.
 
Too each their own. Every case I've ever seen looks terrible with the door removed. My solution is simple. I just don't buy cases that have front doors on them. Problem solved.

I agree, although I did once own an Antec Super LanBoy..It had a front door which I didn't like all that much, but the trade off in weight and portability made me deal with it..

 
Too each their own. Every case I've ever seen looks terrible with the door removed. My solution is simple. I just don't buy cases that have front doors on them. Problem solved.


same here.. cant stand them.. only case ive ever had with the door on the front is my xclios windtunnel but theres no door now thanks to my little cousin that decided he would open it and punch it which then broke the hinges off.. oh well at least the door at some use being a useless punching bag since it didnt do anything else except annoying the shit out of me..

the door wouldnt be all that bad if the door actually opened to the right and not the left.. but ive yet to find a case with a door on it that opens to the right..
 
Hey guys, as my EVGA Classified SR-2 Case project is nearing completion, is anyone still interested in me building some of these tech stations for you?

In addition, I'll be banging out a few of each of these three case designs, let me know if you want to get on board:





 
Hey guys, as my EVGA Classified SR-2 Case project is nearing completion, is anyone still interested in me building some of these tech stations for you?

In addition, I'll be banging out a few of each of these three case designs, let me know if you want to get on board:

Some incredible work there Spotswood. :cool: I've been impressed with some of your work in wood as well. You're attention to detail seems to be second to none, and you've certainly got a gift for stuff like this.
 
Some incredible work there Spotswood. :cool: I've been impressed with some of your work in wood as well. You're attention to detail seems to be second to none, and you've certainly got a gift for stuff like this.

Thank you. Hopefully someday all of this hard work will pay off.
 
Hey guys, as my EVGA Classified SR-2 Case project is nearing completion, is anyone still interested in me building some of these tech stations for you?

In addition, I'll be banging out a few of each of these three case designs, let me know if you want to get on board:






Will they be made to fit the SR-2?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top