• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A home for my SR-2

How much do those metal cases cost?

The features of these cases are:

* designed specifically for either an air cooled or water cooled rig i.e. not both
* a "false" back with one-inch of space between it and the right-hand side panel for excellent wire routing
* .10-inch and .125-inch thick all aluminum construction
* all stainless steel fasteners (no rivets)
* illuminated vandal resistant power and reset switches
* front air intake via a bottom fed air duct
* flexible PSU placement
* large enough to house two 120x4 radiators plus another 120x3 or 120x2 radiator, or two large 230mm exhaust fans and 180mm intake fan
* large enough to house two PSUs
* can be shipped flat or pre-assembled.

The more people I can get on-board for these, the lower the cost will be. Depending on the chosen model, the price range for these would be $700-1000.
 
Yes. They can all be enlarged to accommodate the SR-2.

Interested. The other views you have up on your photo sight look very promising. For my own needs I am currently using a pair of H70s for cooling and pland to stay that way for all builds. You're looks more to the custom WC setup. Some thought for support of the H70's up top would be cool.

Are you up for some ideas that might be more minimalist focused for the a enclosed case SR-2? This would be folding focused. Photo 10 looks closer to the idea. Tower/Rack case in a 3U wide/high 19" rackmountable design be possible? Non-standard drive and power supply placement of course to minimize overall case size.


Recently have been talking more with the MyOpenPC.com owner. Dicussing a $300 configure to order (CTO) order version of their Bench-Super that would be made to fit the HTPX. But at the $160 level your tech open case is looking super nice for the custom job. Would still need a way to support the pair of Corsair H70s. (In fact I already have the Bench-Super on order even though there will be some overhang.)

On the earlier topic of drive placement do you think the cage could be morphed into a series of flat plate drive sleds for easy in/out?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@ [H]ecklerKoc[H] - Yes, the last case pictured is for air cooling only and could be lowered to handle the H70's extremely short tubing.

I could design and build a rack mount case for the SR-2, but I don't think many would be willing to pay for it, but I could be wrong.

To accommodate the H70's I would widen the bench a bit and fab a couple of brackets to hold them. Hmmmm....would placing the mounting bracket between the fan and the radiator be acceptable?



Please elaborate on your "drive sled" idea.
 
To accommodate the H70's I would widen the bench a bit and fab a couple of brackets to hold them. Hmmmm....would placing the mounting bracket between the fan and the radiator be acceptable?

Please elaborate on your "drive sled" idea.
Sure! Placing the mounting bracket in between a fan and the radiator would be okay. There are already people doing that tin regular case installs. If the bracket metal thickness turn out to be too much for the Corsair included screws than I will just buy another set the length needed. Or cut down a set of longer ones to fit..

Here is the drive sled idea in pictures from another design. The optical drive is still fixed. The hard drives are able to be moved easily..

51A0TQyGFpL.jpg
41BM15yMFxL.jpg


 
[H]ecklerKoc[H];1036382021 said:
...
Here is the drive sled idea in pictures from another design. The optical drive is still fixed. The hard drives are able to be moved easily..

Got it. Building that drive rail system would be easy.


*EDIT: Does anybody know of a reputable supplier of the plastic hard drive sled thingies used in a lot of cases these days? *
 
Last edited:
New option for you dual SR-2 owners!
If you don't like Mountain Mod cases, then please stop reading!!
I have been in contact with MM about one of there cases, the Extended Ascension.
It bothered me that they made a Duality for ATX and EATX, but not HPTX/SR-2.
There is room, if done right.
After a couple emails I found out they DO make a Duality for the HPTX. So you could put two Sr-2 in one case.
I have to call him on Monday for pricing. I'll keep you updated.

This is there Duality as it stands now.
You can see that it can be done!!
Even if it $500, that's $250 a case.

Duality.jpg
 
Very interesting. I currently have a MM Extended Ascension. I am looking to update my sig rig to an SR-2 and I may have to go Duality. I am currently running one PSU in there, but if I go Duality, I may need a total of 3.

I'm REALLY digging the AX750 and would probably pick up another to power the CPU side and an AX1200 to power the GPU side of my update.

All I would need to replace is the backplate and the MoBo Tray(s).

Thanks for the heads up.

New option for you dual SR-2 owners!
If you don't like Mountain Mod cases, then please stop reading!!
I have been in contact with MM about one of there cases, the Extended Ascension.
It bothered me that they made a Duality for ATX and EATX, but not HPTX/SR-2.
There is room, if done right.
After a couple emails I found out they DO make a Duality for the HPTX. So you could put two Sr-2 in one case.
I have to call him on Monday for pricing. I'll keep you updated.

This is there Duality as it stands now.
You can see that it can be done!!
Even if it $500, that's $250 a case.

Duality.jpg
 
Yeah, I've always wanted to run dual systems in a MM Duality configured case. It's a bad ass setup when done right.
 
New option for you dual SR-2 owners!
If you don't like Mountain Mod cases, then please stop reading!!
I have been in contact with MM about one of there cases, the Extended Ascension.
It bothered me that they made a Duality for ATX and EATX, but not HPTX/SR-2.
There is room, if done right.
After a couple emails I found out they DO make a Duality for the HPTX. So you could put two Sr-2 in one case.
I have to call him on Monday for pricing. I'll keep you updated.

This is there Duality as it stands now.
You can see that it can be done!!
Even if it $500, that's $250 a case.

Duality.jpg

I am very interested in something like this. Please keep us posted. Does anyone know if this is less than 19" wide? I can't imagine that it would be.
 
I am very interested in something like this. Please keep us posted. Does anyone know if this is less than 19" wide? I can't imagine that it would be.

It should be 18" wide. Most of the dimensions on their cases are either 18" or 24" to keep things modular.
 
18 would be fine. 24 would not work for me. I want to stick it in my rack, and i believe 19" is all the room i have between the rails.
 
So a list of question I need to ask:

1. How much for dual SR-2
2. Dimensions
3. Layout
4. Options


Please add to the list!
 
5. Any tamales included?
 
Tobit i'm sure someone here in the [H]orde can send you your Tamales :D
 
Since this is modular, how much for specific pieces to go from Horizontal MoBo Extended Ascension to what we see above.

I would be very interested in creating a Duality. The only concern I have is the heatsinks. I'm currently running 2x NH-D14's and these puppies are HEAVY. Vertical placement of the MoBo's would cause some significant strain on the MoBo. I would probably do WC on one side and could possibly WC the other, but I'll need one of the RADs in my rig for GPU cooling.

Would 1 3x120 SwifTech be enough to cool 2xL5640? I may need to start another thread to get this one properly answered.
 
Would 1 3x120 SwifTech be enough to cool 2xL5640? I may need to start another thread to get this one properly answered.

I'd like to hear some info from all the watercooling gurus on this as well. My MM U2 case arrived this past Thursday and I'm considering this as well. I do know the MPC Dream machine this year had 3x120 , 2x120, and a single 120mm rad in that unit but they were cooling three GTX460's along with both CPUs (5680's at 4+ ghz). Since I'm only going to be WCing the CPU's will a 2x120 or a 3x120 be enough for them?
 
I have a Trinity Front (3x 3x120 SwifTech's up front). There would also be a 4th set of 3x120 if I wanted to put utilize it in the back.

Since I would have to get a new back anyway, I could get one with spacing for one of the much deeper 3x120's. The SwifTech's aren't that deep. Everything fits in there now (plumbing, rads, pumps), but with a Duality a lot of the mid section would be filled up and it will start to get tight (and challenging) to fit 3 (or 4) 3x120's, plus pumps (2 or 3) & tubing.
 
Since this is modular, how much for specific pieces to go from Horizontal MoBo Extended Ascension to what we see above.

You would need a new back panel and maybe a new front panel (see here). Prices start at $64.99, depending on options, and customization will probably add another $40.

You would also need a second mobo tray ($79.99), and brackets to attach the two mobo trays to the bottom of the case (2 x $7.99).
 
If you want the 100% finished mod, yes.

It sounds like if you just remove the middle divider (drill out the rivets and flip it around), the board will fit fine. You won't be able to do quad SLi or use the bottom few PCIe slots on the SR-2, but if you're not going to use those anyway that won't matter.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1531124

I saw this deal as well...I'd do it but I'm already in the doghouse (and generally happy enough with my DIY SR-2 bench). :(
 
Guys,
Now that the SR-2 case is finished, let me know if you're still interested in this test bench.

 
Guys,
Now that the SR-2 case is finished, let me know if you're still interested in this test bench.

Looks like something I would be interested in since I've crammed 2 systems in cases made for one before, and this would be tailor made for such applications. Very sweet. I'm sure I can't afford it but for curiosity's sake, how much?
 
Looks like something I would be interested in since I've crammed 2 systems in cases made for one before, and this would be tailor made for such applications. Very sweet. I'm sure I can't afford it but for curiosity's sake, how much?

Almost 5 times the cost of a MM's Extended Ascension, but it was exactly what the client wanted, which was the ability to hold 4 140x4 radiators, 2 PSUs and 37 5.25" devices (and still be fairly quiet).
 
Last edited:
Would love to help you out - but all my budget went on moar D, and running naked works for me.

Best of luck with it though.
 
It had been a while since I dropped in on this thread, and was amazed by the size of that Black "Test Bench" you had displayed Spotswood. :eek: Nice work for sure, but *HUGE*!!!
 
I have my SR2 (FINALLY) in a true home. Making the SR2 fit took nothing more than a screwdriver, although I might still consider some of the mods to the motherboard tray to add standoff locations. I'm having some sort of strange issue with the system now. It won't POST with any overclock at all, and only 8GB of RAM are being identified. I am wondering if there might be a stray mobo standoff shorting out on the back of the mobo or something.

In any case though, once I get it running, the effort will be worth it. It really feels like the $300+ case that it is. I got it for $132 plus tax.

Temps are great at stock speeds. It has room for my seven hard drives and counting. The hard drives are staying extremely cool, which is great for long term stability. Once I get this memory/mobo issue sorted out, I will be extremely happy to get it off the cardboard box on the floor and into a proper location.

The pics are crappy. No cable management at all, and they were taken with my cell phone. I'll bring more later.

IMAG0029.jpg


IMAG0033.jpg


a77b.png
 
I can't wait to put mine together, like all cases though I have to purdy it up. ;) going to sleeve all the case wires (even usb if I don't run out of sleeving), going to yank out the LED fans and put in my S-Flex. (going for a "sleeper" tower....I believe I'll call it something along the lines of "monolith") :) I'll let you know how the standoff tapping goes; going to be my first time farting around with a tap wrench. ;)

I'm hoping my time doing this and building a new box for my joystick in prep for MvC3 next Tues. passes the time a lot quicker. The next 8 days are going to be a bear...:(
 
jebo, the case looks nice! Check for extraneous contact with the case, any flexing in the mobo, and also maybe that the HSFs are installed properly and not touching any of the mobo heatsinks. I experienced all of those issues with my SR-2s -- they're very sensitive boards and care needs to be taken when installing them in a case.

A replacement top panel with some extra ventilation arrives for my MM case tomorrow. I'll post some pics once I get everything wired up.
 
I put a mountain mods mobo tray in a 700d and it involved quite a lot of cutting of the rear panel.
The board had to be raised up a bit to make up for the extra slots.

I don't like it being so huge since I don't use optical drives, there is tons of wasted space. and all most of the "cool" things about corsair cases are gone bacause the power cables dont get any fancy grommets, they just come in above the board. making it look like an old school mess.

For the other one I am going to make my own case, based on another mm tray. from what I have worked out so far, it will be much smaller.
 
Last edited:
Guys,
Now that the SR-2 case is finished, let me know if you're still interested in this test bench.


If I had space, I would have you make me one to hold 3 systems, KVM and a small monitor. but it would be blue and say "police box" on it. "who" wouldnt want a triple SR2 TARDIS space heater?
 
Last edited:
I put a mountain mods mobo tray in a 700d and it involved quite a lot of cutting of the rear panel.
I don't like it being so huge since I don't use optical drives, there is tons of wasted space.

For the other one I am going to make my own case, based on another mm tray. from what I have worked out so far, it will be much smaller.
does anyone have any solutions that require a minimum amount of modding? Taking out the 5.25 drive bay cage doesn't really phase me as long as I'd only be drilling out a few rivets.. its when steel starts getting cut that i lose interest
 
does anyone have any solutions that require a minimum amount of modding? Taking out the 5.25 drive bay cage doesn't really phase me as long as I'd only be drilling out a few rivets.. its when steel starts getting cut that i lose interest

The aforementioned PC-A77. ;)
You can drill and tap 3 extra standoffs like I'm going to do, or just use what's there.
Fitting the SR-2 involves nothing more than moving the HD cages towards the front of the case and then wedging the bottom most 5.25" cover from each into the "moved forward" cages to clean up the aesthetic of the front of the case.

PC-P80 also works with minimal modding from what I've heard. (standoffs)
PC-V2120 is made for HPTX (ie no mods required) but they are very pricey.
 
The aforementioned PC-A77. ;)
You can drill and tap 3 extra standoffs like I'm going to do, or just use what's there.
Fitting the SR-2 involves nothing more than moving the HD cages towards the front of the case and then wedging the bottom most 5.25" cover from each into the "moved forward" cages to clean up the aesthetic of the front of the case.

PC-P80 also works with minimal modding from what I've heard. (standoffs)
PC-V2120 is made for HPTX (ie no mods required) but they are very pricey.
yea, looks like any of the cases that can even dream of holding the SR2 are pretty pricey
 
Back
Top