9th Annual BOINC Pentathlon hosted by SETI.Germany

these 3 Android tasks were ran on my Galaxy S6 cell phone with only 4 cores selected.

Rosetta.JPG rosetta2.JPG

The other two were work units from

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor [Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0]

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz [Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6]

Figured I would show people how far Android devices have come.

these 3 Android tasks were ran on my Galaxy S6 cell phone with only 4 cores selected.

View attachment 72850 View attachment 72851

I personally am not comfortable doing that much work on my phone. I have so many things tied in with 2 factor and stuff that if if blew up i would be dead in teh water for days until i restored it all. With my desktop computers i can also fix them myself if something goes wrong. Maybe if i had a spare phone, but i sold that! it is pretty amazing what these tiny devices can do however

View attachment 72850 View attachment 72851

Am I reading that correctly at 22hours?

Am I reading that correctly at 22hours?

When you set your Rosetta preferences to run 24 hour tasks instead of the 8 hour tasks...that will happen. It provides better "science" but the work units obviously take longer. It is good for bunkering and when you just want to improve the project over all. Otherwise towards the end of the competition you want to change those to 1 hour tasks to milk every point you can the last minutes.

It is in the Rosetta@home preferences. Check the first post of this thread under Rosetta for the link to quickly go to it.

I will be losing a quad core borg soon as it moves to my office. The owner passed away and the daughter has no need for it. Guess I need to start looking for homes as I have no need for quads much anymore... lol

Team,
My entire farm is going to go down for ~48 hours as i complete my summer mining rack setup.

I intend to have this thing completed by the time Asteroids / PrimeGrid goes live - but there will be no bunkers from me this time around.

Also Gilthanis I'll keep the Phenom II X4 stowed. That ain't worth it. LOL

Edit2: I've seen this concept of blocking project IPs on hosts - why not via the router? (if you are on a home network). Anyone tried that? Sounds like it could work.

Last edited:
Yes the router is the go to for when you have several systems to manage. However, not all home routers can easily set that up. But definitely one of the options for bunkering. The X4 would only be fired up for competitions like this one just as I did with 6 other quad core systems... They will go cold soon after the Pentathlon.

For some reason my Universe tasks aren't uploading. I can download new ones..... I'm thinking I setup some bunkering thing with this project a while back.....

Some people have trouble if the uploads are going via https. Try adding this to your cc_config.xml file

<http_1_0>1</http_1_0>

Some people have trouble if the uploads are going via https. Try adding this to your cc_config.xml file

<http_1_0>1</http_1_0>

This worked. Added it between the "options" line. Just needed to add that and shut off BOINC and turn it back on.

Thanks.

Edit: I guess that got 15 of the 17 tasks uploaded. Have two just spinning their wheels. Edit 2: Had to go to the transfers tab and choose each task and click "Retry Now". Now all my Universe tasks are uploaded. Yay.

Last edited:
Ok, so we won't take 2nd in the marathon.. I'm moving my systems all to primegrid

Bunker the hell out of them.

The image that phoenicis posted has the right IP to block it. You can get over 1000 tasks per rig.

My understanding is that GPU on asteroids is not very efficient. Those of us running it on gpu were doing it while there was nothing else for GPU to work on since they were sitting idle. I would move the GPU to prime and try to bunker that and put the cpu's an asteroids or rosetta. If you do this you will need to make sure its not uploading though. Just grab a few days of work units for both, add the hostfile for asteroids and then set network activity for boinc to suspend, then when cross country for prime starts you can enable boinc networking and push your prime workunits and the hostfile will keep your asteroids from uploading. then drop the hostfile entry when city run / asteroids starts. pretty much the easiest way to bunker i think for these two.

speaking of GPU's the 1080Ti is kicking some serious butt over my 1070's in prime. 1070's are just under 10 mins with 2 tasks each at a time and the 1080ti is just under 6 minutes with 2 tasks. 1080ti is over 50% faster in this project from what i can see.

well if you are focusing your gpu towards prime then you don't need to download asteroids gpu projects. unchecking gpu will force it to download cpu tasks for asteroids only * i mean uncheck gpu in the asteroids preferences specifically

well if you are focusing your gpu towards prime then you don't need to download asteroids gpu projects. unchecking gpu will force it to download cpu tasks for asteroids only * i mean uncheck gpu in the asteroids preferences specifically

Yeah. I am running asteroids on three of my rigs for cpu, the last for only GPU. I forgot about my preferences from before and only downloaded GPU tasks on my main rig. That will teach me.

Just a reminder... the Universe portion of the Pentathlon is now done. We finished 6th in that event. If you are still crunching it, please dump what you have and move on to another event project.

Of the PrimeGrid PPS Sieve tasks I"ve done over the last day, 263 have been validated and 898 are pending the wingman's validation. Bit slow on the validation, so I'm happy I'll have a whole bunch of tasks out there ready to be validated right at the start of the race.

Edit: Hopefully they'll have a high chances of getting turned in by the wingman during the competition.

Back