9th Annual BOINC Pentathlon hosted by SETI.Germany

I just got a 3770K up and add it to NH - however. . .

Project is down
The project's database server is down. Please check back in a few hours.

No joy.

That's what make pentathlon interesting. You adapt, strategize, communicate and/or attack as needed. Otherwise kind of boring doing the same thing day in day out. My one cent.

Speaking of strategy, PG has some interesting stats that can help shape strategy going forward.

You can see when some started ramping up downloading work in week 18. Then, when it was officially announced it went through the roof.

Curious if you guys are hedging your bets on WU's for projects in events like, too?

upload_2018-5-18_3-25-22.png

Thanks everyone for supporting our team. This is the best showing and my third BOINC participation. Wish we got a medal but will try again next year. The date is easy to remember. It starts on 5-5 (May 5th) of every year assuming no one sabotage the SG website....

I too want to thank everyone whom participated. Both large and small contributors. This was by far our most successful year. I think we impressed a lot of teams with the output we brought. You should all feel proud of your production and the learning you have obtained. This event brings out pretty much every strategy conceivable and requires a lot of thought and preparation. It is no easy feat. The larger your farm, the harder it gets as well. But no guts, no glory. Just ask fastgeek as he put in many hours away from his family setting up rigs. He can contest the labors that goes into trying to learn the tweaks and tricks that go into every project and how they differ so much. I always encourage you to ask questions and continue to support the team after the event. It is the little challenges in between the big ones that give you practice. It also allows you to learn the projects and their habits before the main event.

Upgrades for my mining farm (these benefit my mining too):

- better cases (mining or crunching doesn't matter - too many dead air spots in my current 4U implementation)
- 2P across the board (there is enough PSU headroom even when mining full capacity - let's use it)
- more ram (saw 80-90% ram utilization on PG, even w/ 8GB - mining may not benefit from ram too much but that's fine)
- transition to USB based OSes (so i can flip between mining / crunching OSes)
- window setup improvements (i need to seal up all potential air-gaps)

.. and probably other stuff too. Either way, a strong mining setup = a strong crunching setup.

I can't help the PCIe lane limit issue, but that is what it is.

Last edited:
Upgrades for my mining farm (these benefit my mining too):

- better cases (mining or crunching doesn't matter - too many dead air spots in my current 4U implementation)
- 2P across the board (there is enough PSU headroom even when mining full capacity - let's use it)
- more ram (saw even 80-90% ram utilization, even w/ 8GB - mining may not benefit from ram too much but that's fine)
- transition to USB based OSes (so i can flip between mining / crunching OSes)
- window setup improvements (i need to seal up all potential air-gaps)

I am running my two Linux boxes off usb. A bit risky, as one did shut down once and there goes whatever data I had on it.

I am running my two Linux boxes off usb. A bit risky, as one did shut down once and there goes whatever data I had on it.

Hmmmm. I hadn't even thought about persistence... The OS does not write to the USB as it normally would if it were an attached drive? Does Windows operate like this too?

Hmmmm. I hadn't even thought about persistence... The OS does not write to the USB as it normally would if it were an attached drive? Does Windows operate like this too?

I think if you installed it to the drive it would be ok. My issue is I am running them in a LiveCD mode.

auntjemima That would explain it! :p

Skillz dual-booting (SSDs) means having more wires in the cases = not good. I've got m2s in all the rigs - but perhaps when i go through the upgrades i can find dual m.2 slotted boards or perhaps consider PCIe m.2 expansion boards.

Adding a second SATA and SATA power cable isn't gonna hurt anything. Practice good cable management. Haha

pfffft.

These new cases i got coming in have me very excited. The horizontal / wide orientation coupled with ~600 CFM worth of 120mm case fans should really do the trick. Definitely looking forward to this!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do the GPUs go on risers and there's just GPUs in the case? Looks interesting.

tayunz yes and no. there will be a board in there.

These things were built with the Onda form factor in mind, but i realized (and asked) the seller if the layout was still ATX.. apparently it is. So, i am going to have some of the cards on risers (likely cards 4-8), and some in the board.

So, instead of scrunching 7 GPUs into ~17" worth of space (front of a standard 16.8" 4U), i can now spread 8 out over roughly 25"... and have a true wind tunnel. These normal 4Us are great, but when you got the depth combined with the amount of wiring in between the back of the case and the front - you got serious dead zones.

I'll take pix once i get them in and start porting em over.

Oh nice. That makes sense. I'm interested to see how things turn out, that might work for my situation.

pfffft.

These new cases i got coming in have me very excited. The horizontal / wide orientation coupled with ~600 CFM worth of 120mm case fans should really do the trick. Definitely looking forward to this!

More cases, fewer GPUs per case. Spread that heat out.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have been using WD Velociraptor 10k 74, 80, 160gb drives, can find them used cheap on ebay
Found them as cheap as 5$ each, they run forever. Much faster than USB drives, USB drives can be a little laggy when accessing the system.

Final report from Jeeper. Again congrats to SUSA, P3DN and TC for the top three finishing.

There is a link to the comment/feedback/suggestion section if you would like leave one and can be found in the first section of the report.

Here is Jeeper summary about [H]. Can we win a medal next year? Well, we will have to wait and see. Thanks again everyone!
6. [H]ard|OCP (6-4-6-8-4) – previous year: #12
It was their best ever achievement at a Pentathlon so far. It ought to give rise to celebrations. If it wasn’t for the Marathon. A tactical error there cost them Bronze. That was a real shame as they were so deserving of a medal. At least they aren’t the only ones that has happened to. They will learn from it and be amongst the hot candidates for individual medals next year.

I've still got over 100 PG tasks pending validation... and over 300 Asteroids

I think if you installed it to the drive it would be ok. My issue is I am running them in a LiveCD mode.

Instead of running live boot off the usb - I would just install the OS to the FD and run it that way. Also if you need an image of the flash drive you can easily back it up with dd. Linux is robust enough it would probably boot fine across different hardware. Also you can do windows that way by creating a windows to go flashdrive.

Instead of running live boot off the usb - I would just install the OS to the FD and run it that way. Also if you need an image of the flash drive you can easily back it up with dd. Linux is robust enough it would probably boot fine across different hardware. Also you can do windows that way by creating a windows to go flashdrive.

I know I could. Laziness is the issue here.

Not sure what GPUs you got. See if you can crunch on Aestroids@home with it bro

Back