980 Ti

If you are going to use a single card the classified should not run warm.
Gigabyte had coil whine issues but recent buyers have not posted it.

Can't go wrong with either one. Generally users of Gigabyte G1 are getting better ASIC scores and higher overclocks. My average that I have seen for gigabyte users is about 1515/8000 whereas for classified users is about 1480/8000. Ymmv of course. Also these are not statistically verified numbers.

If you are going to use a single card the classified should not run warm.
Gigabyte had coil whine issues but recent buyers have not posted it.

Can't go wrong with either one. Generally users of Gigabyte G1 are getting better ASIC scores and higher overclocks. My average that I have seen for gigabyte users is about 1515/8000 whereas for classified users is about 1480/8000. Ymmv of course. Also these are not statistically verified numbers.

I'm not sure that the ASIC is going to be very relevant to me, since I'm not one to OC my GPUs (I usually go with a factory OC model). Do the Classified models likely hold a bit more resale value than others, down the road?

I doubt any would hold a higher resale value. People who got reference cards with higher ASIC have been making money and selling them higher than kingpin prices on eBay and the like.

Resale is quite irrelevant imo, both will depreciate the same. As I said earlier highest out of box oc clocks are on Zotac amp extreme (usually hits 1400), classified (hits 1405) and asus strix oc (hits about 1430 in OC mode). If you have a 1400 MHz card you don't need to overclock as well. Resale will be about the same for oc cards and slightly higher than reference maybe like 20 bucks.

I doubt any would hold a higher resale value. People who got reference cards with higher ASIC have been making money and selling them higher than kingpin prices on eBay and the like.

Resale is quite irrelevant imo, both will depreciate the same. As I said earlier highest out of box oc clocks are on Zotac amp extreme (usually hits 1400), classified (hits 1405) and asus strix oc (hits about 1430 in OC mode). If you have a 1400 MHz card you don't need to overclock as well. Resale will be about the same for oc cards and slightly higher than reference maybe like 20 bucks.

Thanks, again. So far, my short list is (in this order):

1. Gigabyte G1
2. eVGA Classified
3. MSI Gaming 6G
4. Asus Strix OC

I do like the idea of a bit more compact size with the Classified and 6G, but I think I'll like the cooler load temps with the G1. If my budget was hard-capped at < $670, then I'd grab the Strix.

Slapped a Prolimatech MK-26 on my 980 ti and wow! Super easy to install, negligible sagging thanks to the backplate and temps are in the 60-70c range with the most demanding games and Furmark - and that's with 2 Noiseblocker fans running at a fixed 900rpm in a silence oriented case (Fractal Design R5) with no extra fans. Equivalent Noctua fans like the ones I have on my CPU would probably provide noticeably better temps because they have a better static pressure (those Noiseblocker fans are better as case fans) but eh, this is good enough so I'll just leave it like that as my 4790k is warm enough thanks to Gigabyte's "factory OC" (turbo forced on all cores and increased voltage that I can't undo short of underclocking...)

I didn't even install Prolimatech's VRM heatsinks because my card has some already. This is with a small overclock (the one my card came with, about ~ 5-10% and TDP of 260w).

My rig is dead quiet now, a dream come true.

Edit : and I did not lose the warranty since there was no sticker or anything, just a few screws that came off "clean". That's a relief on a 700&#8364; GPU :D

Last edited:
I installed 2 NZXT Kracken G10 cooling plats with Corsair H75's on my 980 Ti's, they are super quiet and running incredibly cool now. 26* C at Idle and mid 50's under full load after hours of gaming.

VRM temps get up to the mid 70's also. :) No need for any additional cooling (using the fans that came with the G10) and I'm running them off a molex power connector so the fans run full speed all the time. They are very quiet also.

G1 & Strix active.
Classified & MSI passive plates.

Thanks. That probably explains why the Strix OC tends to run hotter than the others...HSF has about the same cooling capability as the MSI 6G, but not as beefy as the G1.

Would it be wise to get a 980 Ti with active VRM cooling?

Strix is the hottest running AIB card that I have seen
Gigabyte is possibly the coolest running but heard issues with it so it is a hit or miss
Classified is the only card I have heard consistently good things about
My experience with MSI was horrible as the card ran very hot and had crappy ASIC but people have reported good things as well

After going through 5 cards I think I am comfortable recommending the Classified. It has the right balance of heat, noise, out of the box overclock and warranty.

5th time is a charm. Got my 5th 980 Ti in which is a classified. ASIC of 71.7%.

So my summary as follows.

MSI 980 Ti - 63.X% ASIC - 1440/7800 volts did nothing
EVGA 980 Ti SC+ - 68.9% ASIC - 1480/8200 (w/ default bios and +50 mv) and 1510/8000 (w/ 1.237 v bios)
Classified 980 Ti - 70.3% ASIC - 1506/8200 (w/ LN2 default bios) and 1530/8200 (w/ 1.237 volts)
Classified 980 Ti - 72.9% ASIC - 1518/8200 (w/ LN2 default bios) and 1535/8200 (w/ 1.237 volts)
Classified 980 Ti - 71.7% ASIC - 1506/8200 (w/ LN2 default bios) and 1535/8200 (w/ 1.237 volts)

FWIW.

^ thanks, KickAssCop. That helps out. I think I'm going to save the extra $30-40 and get the Classified.

I sold MSI and EVGA.
I only returned one classified since it died. The new card is a replacement card.

How is Galax's 980ti OC?

In my locale, this card is by far the cheapest (by a good $100), and is about the same as the top GTX 980's prices.

1500 core @ stock volts.
Only tested 1 minute of Heaven so far. I've worked my way up at +10 intervals and it's still going.

I suppose it's because I'm at 1080p.

NfoXXpw.png

1500 core @ stock volts.
Only tested 1 minute of Heaven so far. I've worked my way up at +10 intervals and it's still going.

I suppose it's because I'm at 1080p.

that's actually Great at those temps with that fan speed.. you got a great candidate to BIOS flash :D

Very happy with my new computer running a EVGA 980Ti Hybrid @ 1500/8000Mhz 74.6% ASIC with stock volts and I know I can push it further. It stays at 50C load whether I put it on auto fan or 60% speed.

XHDz1T7.jpg

Very happy with my new computer running a EVGA 980Ti Hybrid @ 1500/8000Mhz 74.6% ASIC with stock volts and I know I can push it further. It stays at 50C load whether I put it on auto fan or 60% speed.

]

Skylake make that much of a difference?

Skylake make that much of a difference?
What do you mean? His 6700k is at 4.7 and is overall score is probably not that much higher than Haswell at the same speed. With my 4770k at just 4.4, I get only about 5.5% worse overall score with gpu at same clocks.

What do you mean? His 6700k is at 4.7 and is overall score is probably not that much higher than Haswell at the same speed. With my 4770k at just 4.4, I get only about 5.5% worse overall score with gpu at same clocks.

.....what do i mean? You just answered my question, so you know what i meant. :p

So I replaced my PSU from Corsair HX1050 to an EVGA 1300 G2 and 2 things happened:

1) My cards are running 3-5 degrees less during full load
2) Finally, my PC is completely silent; the classified even at 70% fan speed does not actually make any sound

I am still not sure how to explain it but I was of the idea that the card maybe running hot and loud. With the PSU change, it was actually the old PSU fan spinning up and card not doing anything. Also I have the Noctua on my NZXT bracket and it is silent as whistle at 2000 RPM. Damn I was missing out.

Here is a shot.

k9icfkZ.jpg

So I replaced my PSU from Corsair HX1050 to an EVGA 1300 G2 and 2 things happened:

2) Finally, my PC is completely silent; the classified even at 70% fan speed does not actually make any sound

I am still not sure how to explain it but I was of the idea that the card maybe running hot and loud. With the PSU change, it was actually the old PSU fan spinning up and card not doing anything. Also I have the Noctua on my NZXT bracket and it is silent as whistle at 2000 RPM. Damn I was missing out.

Here is a shot.

k9icfkZ.jpg

Did you ever find out if you need a shim when using the heat transfer plate?

Ofcourse, without a shim it won't work with the classified. I used the PS3 yellow light fix kit sold on Amazon. Shim size is 42*42*1.2 mm and fits like a glove.

I am still not sure how to explain it but I was of the idea that the card maybe running hot and loud. With the PSU change, it was actually the old PSU fan spinning up and card not doing anything. Also I have the Noctua on my NZXT bracket and it is silent as whistle at 2000 RPM. Damn I was missing out

nj06c7w.jpg

Anyone in here running an NZXT G10 bracket + Corsair H75?

I threw an H75 on my 980 Ti, and while it's certainly a lot quieter than stock, my load temps aren't really any better (85c max in real-world gaming usage).

Canned benchmarks run nice and cool (60c max), but who cares about benchmark temps? There's almost no CPU load during, say, Haven Valley, so it's not representative of the temps you'll ACTUALLY see while gaming.

So... am I doing something wrong, or is this just a really mediocre AIO for the task?

I threw an H75 on my 980 Ti, and while it's certainly a lot quieter than stock, my load temps aren't really any better (85c max in real-world gaming usage).

Canned benchmarks run nice and cool (60c max), but who cares about benchmark temps? There's almost no CPU load during, say, Haven Valley, so it's not representative of the temps you'll ACTUALLY see while gaming.

So... am I doing something wrong, or is this just a really mediocre AIO for the task?

Only slightly related to topic, but what did you use for the VRMs in terms of sinks and thermal pads?

What game were you testing it on?
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

All settings Extra High, 5760x1200 (surround), VSync enabled. Running rock-solid at 60 FPS with not a single dropped frame as far as I can tell.

The card makes its way up to 85c and just stays there (note that my fan profile forces 100% fan speed at anything over 65c, so that's one Arctic F12 120mm fan running full-blast on the radiator)

Only slightly related to topic, but what did you use for the VRMs in terms of sinks and thermal pads?

I'm using an MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G, which comes with a beefy front-plate and VRM heatsinks pre-installed (these can be left on the card when installing the G10 bracket). The fan on the NZXT bracket + the MSI heatsinks seems to do the job nicely.

Could be something wrong with the pump or the way it is connected. I assume this isn't your first dog and pony show, but I'm going to ask anyway. Is the header the pump is connected set to 100% duty cycle? Can you confirm that it's running at its specified RPM?

Back