980 Ti

Hopefully long enough for AMD to reveal Fury. Every 980Ti review I read (Anand, Digital Foundry, Techpowerup, pcgamer) advised to hold off buying the card and waiting for Fury pricing and performance.
Everything will be unveiled at their June 16th event, but we probably won't see Fiji benchmarks until a few days / week after that (if we're lucky).

Everything will be unveiled at their June 16th event, but we probably won't see Fiji benchmarks until a few days / week after that (if we're lucky).

If Fury X ends up not being able to keep up with Nvidia's flagships then the rebadge cards are going to matter even less and will end up a footnote. Like it or not, its going to set the tone for AMD's brand this year, for better or worse.

Let's hope that's not the case though, I want AMD's new cards to put pressure on Nvidia so it makes my second 980 Ti cheaper later when I get a 144Hz monitor.

Last edited:
Thing is AMD doesn't need to beat NVIDIA at the high end. There's a market for cheapskates out there and if they put Fury X at $550, lots of fanboys + price/performance enthusiasts will buy it over a 980 Ti, especially if it's just 5% slower. Of course it probably won't have much OC headroom and that's a given since AMD is strapping WC on it already and supposedly still adjusting clocks.

If they can't sell it for less than 980 Ti (assuming it's slightly slower), AMD will be dead on arrival. Nobody associates premium with the AMD brand nor are they willing to pay a premium for it. If the gap is merely $50, people will opt for the NVIDIA card almost every single time. The rumored price of $450 for the Asus rebrand of 290X is already a bad sign.

Anyone have any info on full coverage water blocks? Looking to buy two to have them lined up when my step up finally arrives.

Thing is AMD doesn't need to beat NVIDIA at the high end. There's a market for cheapskates out there and if they put Fury X at $550, lots of fanboys + price/performance enthusiasts will buy it over a 980 Ti, especially if it's just 5% slower. Of course it probably won't have much OC headroom and that's a given since AMD is strapping WC on it already and supposedly still adjusting clocks.

If they can't sell it for less than 980 Ti (assuming it's slightly slower), AMD will be dead on arrival. Nobody associates premium with the AMD brand nor are they willing to pay a premium for it. If the gap is merely $50, people will opt for the NVIDIA card almost every single time. The rumored price of $450 for the Asus rebrand of 290X is already a bad sign.

Agreed, and no way the Fury X ends up anywhere near $550 since they'd be selling at a significant loss. At that point they'd be better off setting fire to the building and collecting the insurance money.

I reckon they originally hoped to price it somewhere in the $699 - $849 range. But the 980 Ti threw a big fat monkey wrench into that plan.

No way the Fury X ends up $550 since they'd be selling at a significant loss. I bet the original pricing plan on it was somewhere between $699 - $849. But the 980 Ti threw a big fat monkey wrench into that plan.
If that's the case then AMD is about to announce a fat delay. You can't fix that level of colossal fuck-up in 2 weeks.
Implying AMD is so fucking dumb they didn't see a cutdown Titan X coming.
Implying the 980 Ti isn't already priced to compete with Fiji.

Might it be the 980 Ti isn't a $800 card right now because of Fiji? Oh, of course not, AMD can't ever do anything right. Shun the non-believers!

If that's the case then AMD is about to announce a fat delay. You can't fix that level of colossal fuck-up in 2 weeks.

Might it be the 980 Ti isn't a $800 card right now because of Fiji? Oh, of course not, AMD can't ever do anything right. Shun the non-believers!

Didn't imply any of that. Its like you're having two sides of an argument in your head with an imaginary counterpoint you created.

Nobody said anything about AMD not seeing a 980 Ti in the works, even regular users on tech forums knew this much. However, I agree with DPI that AMD likely did not predict a $650 price for the 980 TI. I think most of us were expecting a price of $750+ and were pretty surprised at how "low" NVIDIA priced it. Given the fact that AMD is working with brand new tech (HBM) that is rumored to have yield issues and they are selling a gigantic chip with a watercooler strapped on it, I doubt they planned to sell it for $500-$550--the evidence is the leaked price of the 390X being $450.

no response necessary. eVGAs response has always been that the cooler was more than sufficient. the fact that the 980 had a lower TDP doesn't mean the 2.0 was hitting its ceiling.

They're calling it 2.0+ - so it would be nice to know what's different. With the 970s from earlier this year, they had new piping. Looks like now it's just fans and a fan controller. Some of us are in the market to buy - so looking for official confirmation.

Found this
the 2.0+ adds a plate to cool the memory and vrms and uses straight heat pipes. its definitely better than the 2.0 cooler especially for overclocking, not to mention the increased power target.

Thanks - the problem with that is it is 970-specific. I have that card.

For the 980, 980 Ti, and TITAN X they're re-using the 980 ACX 2.0 regular cooler. Hence why I want clarification that it's 2.0+...what is + about it, exactly?

Thanks - the problem with that is it is 970-specific. I have that card.

For the 980, 980 Ti, and TITAN X they're re-using the 980 ACX 2.0 regular cooler. Hence why I want clarification that it's 2.0+...what is + about it, exactly?
the fans and controller, at a minimum

Just got my reference 980ti in today and at idle I can barely hear it. It is quieter than my 980 g1 was.

Update: Yeah, the 980 ti is quiter at idle, but in Witcher 3 the 980ti is incredibly loud compared to the G1.

Definitely need to get an aftermarket cooler once one is released.

Yeah, do not jump on the reference 980Ti unless you absolutely MUST HAVE IT NOW, and/or you play on headphones/do not care about noise level.
I like a silent build, so I am waiting for some good non-reference designs. My current video card has the same TDP as 980Ti and the cooling in Gigbayte OC is quite good, on a customized fan profile the card reaches 83 C under load with around 50% fan speed, which is not too loud, and there is not much throttling (core is over 1GHz).

it's fanless mode, even in the review they are pointing:

Idle temperature is of course higher due to EVGA's fans turning off at low load,

IMO fanless mode its pure crap.. a stupid reason to run the card at higher temperature.. a 20% its deadly silent and still keep the card running cool in idle and low loads..

I wouldn't want the fans to ever be shut off completely. Do you have control over that feature?

Running a fan at low speed ensures lower temps without sacrificing silence.

I hope that this can be modified.

Running a fan at low speed ensures lower temps without sacrificing silence.

I hope that this can be modified.
Depends on the RPM, anything over 800~900 RPM is intrusive in my environment.
Turning the fans off also extends their lifespan. Especially useful for certain manufacturers who are known to have shoddy fan quality.

In the future, I will not buy any video card that doesn't have a zRPM mode... But thankfully it seems nearly all of them are supporting it from here onward.

For what it's worth, I put a 4850 in my mother's PC back in 08 and it's been idling at 90C all day every day since then.

Those games they're using as benchmarks are pretty old. On top of that, there are not other non-reference cards out there to compare to the EVGA offering yet. One of the reasons why I'm holding out until more start releasing and to see what effect Fury has.

Plus, It'd be a much better idea to use more recent demanding games like Witcher 3 and GTV.

Is the only real difference between the Superclocked ACX 2.0+ vs just the standard ACX 2.0+ models the backplate and factory overclock?

^^ Yes

I think there's:

ACX 2.0+
SC ACX 2.0+
SC ACX 2.0+ w/Backplate

Those games they're using as benchmarks are pretty old. On top of that, there are not other non-reference cards out there to compare to the EVGA offering yet. One of the reasons why I'm holding out until more start releasing and to see what effect Fury has.

Plus, It'd be a much better idea to use more recent demanding games like Witcher 3 and GTV.

I'm not an Ultra everything person. Tuning down graphics such as AA, shadow, and grass (etc) gets me 60 FPS in Witcher 3. It still looks way better than 1080P Ultra. There are settings sliders provided for a reason. The point I'm trying to get at is, 4K looks amazing, even with toned down settings versus 1080P Ultra.

Nvidia and AMD are trying to sell the greatest and latest video cards, so they're creating TressFX, Gameworks, etc. to make you want to buy a better GPU. With each new release of games, and each Ultra setting for new games will take more graphics horsepower. If you're waiting for the single card GPU that can play smooth at Ultra everything for every single game, then you're going to wait forever because it's a rat race between hardware and software. Next year's games will bring the 980TI to its knees. They want you to buy the next greatest thing, that's their schtick. 144hz monitor? Yup, that's for you to buy more powerful video cards. The difference between ultra and high? Not that big a deal. The difference between 4K and 1080P? Huge. Just saying.

Got my 2nd SC ACX 2.0+ today and the damn side LED's are busted, great QC EVGA! Back to the Egg it goes...

sometimes you just need to re-seat the card..

thanks for the suggestion, but I've done that....twice. along with re-seating into a different PCIE slot, checking power connectors and monkeying around with the Nvidia LED tool. Other than that card runs great, too bad my OCD is in override right now ;)

thanks for the suggestion, but I've done that....twice. along with re-seating into a different PCIE slot, checking power connectors and monkeying around with the Nvidia LED tool. Other than that card runs great, too bad my OCD is in override right now ;)

well that's sad... hope to proceed the RMA fast then..

If it's a great overclocker, you might consider keeping it, just a thought. Check for any loose wire connection that would power the LEDs

Back