980 Ti

Bro:

Yeah I keep posting it because I know people absolutely hate the fans.

I love the fans!! Will you stop posting now? :D

Just 6 please... Not 6+1.5 or whatever crazy math Nvidia does these days.
Regular, boring 6 GB.

I believe the 970's funky RAM situation was due to cutting down the chip which according to rumor the 980TI won't be. So I don't see any reason for crazy ram specs.

Launch at $699 then hopefully cut down close to $600 after the 390 and 390X wreck it.
I could be onboard with that.

I like how they add this disclaimer at the very end:

What still remains unconfirmed are the specifications. Although everyone is confident GTX 980 Ti has full GM200 silicon, we cannot confirm this to you just yet. We can however confirm, that GeForce GTX 980 Ti will sport GM200-310 GPU. How does it differ from GM200-400? We don’t know (yet).

My prediction: IF this GM200-310 card drops "in the next few weeks" AND is called a 980 Ti, then it will be a cut down GM200.

Certainly will be, Nvidia isn't going to obsolete the Titan X after 1 month.
12 GB vs 6 GB isn't a big enough selling point with all else equal.

They'll give it just enough shaders to plop it firmly between the 980 and Titan X, or wherever they think the 390 is... Or 390X (god help us all).

Certainly will be, Nvidia isn't going to obsolete the Titan X after 1 month.
12 GB vs 6 GB isn't a big enough selling point with all else equal.

Why not? They only waited 3 months with the Titan > 780 and it'll be closer to 2+ months if the rumors are true. At least the original Titan had more going for it. The Titan X doesn't have anything that stands out for the $1,000 price range besides gains in gaming performance. Gains that should have been cut to make the 980 stand out more in the first place. They'll make most of their sales in the first month anyways by people desperate enough with the money to spare.

That's the thing though, 780 was more cut down than Titan (2304 shaders vs 2688 shaders) in addition to having half the vram. If you're thinking of the 780 Ti well that came almost 9 months later.

I predict this GM200-310 will sit exactly halfway between Titan X and 980 -- 20 SMMs for a total of 2560 shaders.

How much of a performance increase should I see if i go from 970 SLI to 980TI SLI using the rumored specs?

Considering the Titan X is really no good for double precision computing and is essentially just a gaming card, I'd also predict the 980 Ti is just something slightly faster than 980 with more VRAM. Most likely not worth the upgrade for those who have a 970/980 at the moment.

If I were to hazard a guess, it would be like adding a 3rd GTX 970, with the 3rd 970 giving as much boost in absolute terms to performance as the second 970.

I'm not sure now that I want to trade in my 970s for 980TIs. My plan was to sell both for 600$ and use that towards the 980TIs. I'm not [H]ard enough to spend 800$ to add on the performance of "a 3rd GTX 970".

From all I have read, I was right to go for the Titan X. 6 GB VRAM isn't going to be enough. I just need to decide whether to go for a second card or a Gsync monitor.

I'm not sure now that I want to trade in my 970s for 980TIs. My plan was to sell both for 600$ and use that towards the 980TIs. I'm not [H]ard enough to spend 800$ to add on the performance of "a 3rd GTX 970".

Here is some more guessing....:D

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/23.html

Single Titan X review with 970 SLI in the mix.

Take into consideration the performance gap between a single Titan X and two 970s, then consider the gap if it were x2 Titan X's against x2 970s.

Its all speculation of the 980 ti still, but all we can do is guess.

That RAM boost though...:D

That's the thing though, 780 was more cut down than Titan (2304 shaders vs 2688 shaders) in addition to having half the vram. If you're thinking of the 780 Ti well that came almost 9 months later.

I predict this GM200-310 will sit exactly halfway between Titan X and 980 -- 20 SMMs for a total of 2560 shaders.

True, that's what makes it more interesting. Although at the same time GK110 was having serious yield issues since 28nm was still somewhat immature. Hence the theory why Titan came into existence and Gx204 products became the *New* high-end part during the 600 Series launch.

Once yields improved more fully unlocked GK110's were made possible along with price drops. By now 28nm is pretty mature that it shouldn't be nearly as difficult to pimp out GM200-310 parts on a whim.

There has to be a bunch of defective GM200. I think the 980TI will be a slightly cut down version of the full Titan X with higher clocks and 6GB. That should push it within 5-10% of the Titan X. Priced at $649

Here's my prediction regarding unknown specs:

~ 2600 shaders
~ 148 texture units
~ 80 ROPS

nVidia wouldn't want to intrude on their sales of the Titan X so the guestimated specs I've posted make sense, to me.

Here's my prediction regarding unknown specs:

~ 2600 shaders
~ 148 texture units
~ 80 ROPS

nVidia wouldn't want to intrude on their sales of the Titan X so the guestimated specs I've posted make sense, to me.
Are you just throwing that out there to be silly? If not then you dont really seem to have grasp on realistic possible specs. It cant possibility have 2600 cores and 148 tmus with the way they have their gpu designed. An educated guess would be 2560 cores and 160 tmus.

There has to be a bunch of defective GM200. I think the 980TI will be a slightly cut down version of the full Titan X with higher clocks and 6GB. That should push it within 5-10% of the Titan X. Priced at $649

My guess, as well. Especially if it comes out within the next 90 days.

You did notice the tilde placed before each guess, right? I was trying to be exact...

Are you just throwing that out there to be silly? If not then you dont really seem to have grasp on realistic possible specs. It cant possibility have 2600 cores and 148 tmus with the way they have their gpu designed. An educated guess would be 2560 cores and 160 tmus.

Last edited:
I hope more info comes out soon. I'm still debating to keep titan x that I got for $850 after rebates and gift cards or sell it for profit and get 980ti with newegg store credit on 970 + some money from selling titan x. I hope I can still sell it unopened for retail price

if you dont want/need 12GB ram...then sell it for profit

i'm probably staying at 3440 X 1440 so I think 6 gb will probably be enough. Yea I am kind of leaning towards selling more and more. Hopefully witcher 3 benchmarks come out next week so I can see how much vram that uses on ultra. Only shadow of mordor so far has reached more than 6 gb

The thing is who needs 12 gb ram for gaming? maybe up to 8 gb but 12 gb is probably going to be overkill.

Last edited:
No amount of VRAM is ever enough. There are always going to be people reaching/bitching about how it's not enough - whatever the number is.

I find it suspect that anyone is truly using that much VRAM. Much of it is caching. With 4K/5K - sure. But, in my opinion, 4K/5K is not relevant for gaming with today's GPU horsepower.

Maxwell is already so good at compression/etc. I just think 12GB was a number used to "wow" people. Hey - I'm running 2x TITAN X...but I still recognize they just crammed 12GB in there to create a SKU.

BandwidthSavings_575px.png

I find it suspect that anyone is truly using that much VRAM. Much of it is caching. With 4K/5K - sure. But, in my opinion, 4K/5K is not relevant for gaming with today's GPU horsepower.

Maxwell is already so good at compression/etc. I just think 12GB was a number used to "wow" people. Hey - I'm running 2x TITAN X...but I still recognize they just crammed 12GB in there to create a SKU.

BandwidthSavings_575px.png

the question is how much does that help? is that extra caching providing more stability? If newer games come out with > 6 gb vram usage/caching and caching provides better min fps (lower stuttering) even in sli then I can see how > 8 gb is worth it. Even at 10 gb I feel like that's plenty which is why I say 12 gb is overkill. I'm just not 100% certain 6 gb will be enough. At 8 gb I would be confident that 980 ti single and sli will last. Also with ps4 and xbone being limited to 8 gb max (with system using part of that vram as well) I don't see many games going over 8 gb. I guess we won't really know until 980 ti is released and we compare similar clocks on the GM200 where the only difference is the vram to know.

I guess if I am spending 5-6k on a rig I'd rather pony up $200 or whatever it is to not have to worry about any bottlenecks. It has to be caching something it won't have to later?

6GB is looking like a solid amount.
8GB looks like a very very solid amount.

8GB isn't option on 384 bit bus.

That is why it is such a dilemma lol. 6 gb is just enough and "may" pose problems especially with sli at 3440 X 1440. 12 gb is way more than I'll ever use since 8 gb is probably just right. That's 4 gb more than needed and paying a premium just for those extra 2 gb.

I wonder though if they do the trick they used on 970 for 3.5 gb is it possible to get more vram off the 980 ti with odd amount of vram then use drivers to basically cap it?

Back