8800GT coolers....

^ yet more proof the stock cooling on the 8800gt are inadequate.

Actually I believe the 8800GT cooler does about the same job as the 8800GTX or 8800GTS cooler and many people have been running those cards on stock for around a year with little probs.

I just don't like how hot ANY of the 8800's get with reference coolers, there is NO reason to believe 82C under load is in any way a problem, its a personal choice to change it.

You can use it fanless, but most people put a fan on it.

It looks like a great heatsink and has cooling for the pwr things. I might pick up one up once its out.

Actually I believe the 8800GT cooler does about the same job as the 8800GTX or 8800GTS cooler
Cooling on the evga 8800gtx I owned and returned for the dual 8800gt s was far and away superior to the temps I get with the 8800gt.

I retract the generalized comment on all 8800gt cooler design as being flawed. Perhaps it's just mine that are thermally insufficient.

You can use it fanless, but most people put a fan on it.

It looks like a great heatsink and has cooling for the pwr things. I might pick up one up once its out.

Ah ok. I'm must be a noob but do you actually mount a fan on it or do you just have like a house fan pointed at the side of your case?

Problem with the 8800 GTs is the stock fan speed is set to low. So if you go into RT or any program that can modify the fan speed and hold it, set it to about 45% and you'll notice a big difference in temps.

Under ATI Tool artifact load I'm only getting 70 degree temps under load! And its around 50 degrees or so when not under load.

Ah ok. I'm must be a noob but do you actually mount a fan on it or do you just have like a house fan pointed at the side of your case?

Mount a fan on it... leaving your case's sidepanel open will destroy the airflow unless your case is very very bad.

Do you have to buy ramsinks if you get an hr-03GT?

Ram sinks should come with it just like they did for the HR-03+. Problem with that is the thermal pad/tape that is one the HR-03+ sucked bad and were known for falling off. I hope thermalright did something about this. I never had this problem with the Zalman sinks.

Ram sinks should come with it just like they did for the HR-03+. Problem with that is the thermal pad/tape that is one the HR-03+ sucked bad and were known for falling off. I hope thermalright did something about this. I never had this problem with the Zalman sinks.

Can you not take the tape off and use thermal paste instead?

Its the fan. It defaults to 29% just like all the other units, but of course the GT is a single slot with smaller fan.

As mentioned, if you punch up the fanspeed manually to about 43% things cool down a decent chunk. Anything above that starts to become noticably loud for me (and I pride myself on having a quiet system)

100% cools it very nicely... It also sounds like the first 5 seconds when you turn on your computer, but all the time.

Can you not take the tape off and use thermal paste instead?

The ram sinks arent going to stick with just paste alone.... some have been using thermal epoxy but then your warranty is shot. You just have to prep everything really really well.

Its the fan. It defaults to 29% just like all the other units, but of course the GT is a single slot with smaller fan.

As mentioned, if you punch up the fanspeed manually to about 43% things cool down a decent chunk. Anything above that starts to become noticably loud for me (and I pride myself on having a quiet system)

100% cools it very nicely... It also sounds like the first 5 seconds when you turn on your computer, but all the time.

At 60% it sounds like it does at boot as I don't think there is much change in sound from 60-100 but at 45% it seems to be the sweet spot in staying quiet aside from the sqealing mine does.

Just strapped on my Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 and quite frankly I'm shocked by the results. My case has great cooling (Stacker 830 with a bunch of 120mm fans), but the stock cooler on my eVGA was running really hot for some reason.

Idle - 70C
Load - 91C

So I strapped on the Accelero S1 along with some Arctic Silver, added a Cooler Master 120mm fan I had lying around, set it to blow down on the heatsink and hit the rest of the card. Massive improvement!

Idle - 40C
Load - 48C

:eek::eek::eek:

Well, I'm pretty happy now. How can the stock heatsink covering the entire card possibly be so bad?

Just strapped on my Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 and quite frankly I'm shocked by the results. My case has great cooling (Stacker 830 with a bunch of 120mm fans), but the stock cooler on my eVGA was running really hot for some reason.

Idle - 70C
Load - 91C

So I strapped on the Accelero S1 along with some Arctic Silver, added a Cooler Master 120mm fan I had lying around, set it to blow down on the heatsink and hit the rest of the card. Massive improvement!

Idle - 40C
Load - 48C

Well, I'm pretty happy now. How can the stock heatsink covering the entire card possibly be so bad?

Nice result asmielia. good work.

Idle - 70C
Load - 91C

Idle - 40C
Load - 48C

did you have to mod the accelero in anyway to get it on or use additional hardware it didnt come with ?

Well I have the space as I dont do SLI and my X-FI is right at the bottom plus it was the one with highest CFM. Will report my finding but already based on the test with aftermarket coolers I am sure my slot cooler wont even be close.

Well I have the space as I dont do SLI and my X-FI is right at the bottom plus it was the one with highest CFM. Will report my finding but already based on the test with aftermarket coolers I am sure my slot cooler wont even be close.

I was thinking more along the lines of the noise tradeoff for the added CFM's, as the dual-slot blowers I've heard are L O U D and don't move a ton more air than the single-slot ones.

Oh no problem there...I will get a water cooled rig as my next project but check my sig and you will see that my pc is a noisy beast! :D

The Thermaltake ND1 hsfs are fantastic. They dropped the temps about 20c compared to stock hsf under default fan speeds.

No problems running at 650/950.

NOTE: Anyone interested in using the ND1s have to be aware of slight modding that needs to take place on the 8800gt. The molex that connects the fan needs to be removed (with pliers) and the 4 pins bent carefully to avoid contact with the metal heatsink on the ND1.

The Thermaltake ND1 hsfs are fantastic. They dropped the temps about 20c compared to stock hsf under default fan speeds.

No problems running at 650/950.

NOTE: Anyone interested in using the ND1s have to be aware of slight modding that needs to take place on the 8800gt. The molex that connects the fan needs to be removed (with pliers) and the 4 pins bent carefully to avoid contact with the metal heatsink on the ND1.

WOOT, glad to hear they fit... by "with pliers" do you mean literally ripping it off, or just pulling it off where it could be put back on later? What about just drilling into the heatsink a little to make an indentation?

Thanks for that info. I've been waiting all day for someone to report back on these. Unfortunately, removing components and bending pins...............not for me.

I used the NV Silencers on my 7800GTX's and they were great and I was really hoping to use something like that again.

damn

Thanks for that info. I've been waiting all day for someone to report back on these. Unfortunately, removing components and bending pins...............not for me.

I used the NV Silencers on my 7800GTX's and they were great and I was really hoping to use something like that again.

damn

Looks to me from the pictures like you could drill a little bit of the heatsink's base away and it would go right on, but since I don't have it in my hands to confirm, I'd love to hear back from phas3d :).

Looks to me from the pictures like you could drill a little bit of the heatsink's base away and it would go right on, but since I don't have it in my hands to confirm, I'd love to hear back from phas3d :).

yea................I'd rather mod the heatsink than the card.

WOnder how well it makes contact with the ram.

Trust me, there isnt a lot to the mod for these ND1s to work. Molex connections are very easy to take off with pliers and even easier to put back on. Just be careful, VERY careful when performing this mod. Bend the pins outward to where they almost touch the pcb and all will be fine. Very easy, if you are careful not to break the pins, to bend them back into place if you ever need to replace the ND1s with the stock one.

These things run quiet and after I managed to OC my new evga 680i LT to run my Q6600 at 3.6ghz, I was able to get 17737 in 3dMark06 running gpu speeds of 650/950.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=3602620

yea................I'd rather mod the heatsink than the card.

WOnder how well it makes contact with the ram.

Same here, I'm not too keen on the idea of using pliers on these :). A soldering iron, sure, but pliers... just no :(.

From the pics/measurements I have seen it should line up perfectly with the RAM with a small overhang, which is where I think you could drill the heatsink enough to make room for the molex connector not to interfere with anything.

Trust me, there isnt a lot to the mod for these ND1s to work. Molex connections are very easy to take off with pliers and even easier to put back on. Just be careful, VERY careful when performing this mod. Bend the pins outward to where they almost touch the pcb and all will be fine. Very easy, if you are careful not to break the pins, to bend them back into place if you ever need to replace the ND1s with the stock one.

These things run quiet and after I managed to OC my new evga 680i LT to run my Q6600 at 3.6ghz, I was able to get 17737 in 3dMark06 running gpu speeds of 650/950.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=3602620

Nice... if I can't drill to make it fit I will just use the pliers then. Great great news though, I really appreciate you posting back on these mounting :). Now, overclock!!!! I must live vicariously through you until my cards/nd1's come in tomorrow :p :)!

No modding can be done if you plan on using the ND1 on the 8800gt except for removing the female molex fan connector that sits on the pcb.

Once modded, they fit nicely on the memory chips of the 8800gt. Everything is snug and looks lined up nicely.

No modding can be done if you plan on using the ND1 on the 8800gt except for removing the female molex fan connector that sits on the pcb.

Once modded, they fit nicely on the memory chips of the 8800gt. Everything is snug and looks lined up nicely.

So the drilling wouldn't work :(? Still good news, I'll just take off the molex for now and put it back on later if that's the case.

You may want to drill, but I personally think its easier and better to remove the molex. It's something I have had to do before and likely will again.

If you manage to break a pin or screw up the molex, dont worry. It's just a fan molex and there is nothing saying you can't hook the hsf fan up to the mainboard connector. I can understand however why people wouldnt want to mod their new 8800gt so I dont recommend anyone do this mod. I recommend you buy an aftermarket cooler made for the 8800gt.

Oh, and i am running the two 8800gt at 715 core and 975 mem currently. Still testing.

You may want to drill, but I personally think its easier and better to remove the molex. It's something I have had to do before and likely will again.

If you manage to break a pin or screw up the molex, dont worry. It's just a fan molex and there is nothing saying you can't hook the hsf fan up to the mainboard connector. I can understand however why people wouldnt want to mod their new 8800gt so I dont recommend anyone do this mod. I recommend you buy an aftermarket cooler made for the 8800gt.

Oh, and i am running the two 8800gt at 715 core and 975 mem currently. Still testing.

I'm just thinking toward resell value and whatnot, if the connector gets broken it would be much lower value later on once I'm looking to sell them off for an upgrade. Also, warranty service would be hard if I broke the card :p. If possible I'm going to just drill... I'm planning on voltmodding my card, but oddly I'm more comfy with that than taking off a molex :eek:. Great to see your results :D!

did you have to mod the accelero in anyway to get it on or use additional hardware it didnt come with ?

No, it fits even better than it did on the 7900gt I was using it on before. No capacitors getting in the way. I'm not even using ramsinks now as I didn't have any thermal tape. The RAM does get quite warm when playing games, but I played crysis for about an hour and it was fine. The heatsink and core are very cool though, the heatsink hardly feels above room temperature. I still can't seem to get much of an additional overclock, so it might be a voltage issue.

Wonder what kind of cooling he has.. has to be water, but thats cool even for water.

Wonder what kind of cooling he has.. has to be water, but thats cool even for water.

Swiftech MCW-60 = waterblock.

Imagine with a voltmod where these cards will go... people already figured one out, with good cooling the sky's the limit :eek:, even on high-end aircooling :D!

I'm gonna laugh when you let all the magic smoke out of your cards by fiddling with them too much.

Back