8800GT coolers....

I'm going to dust off my KuFormula VF1+ and hopefully be able to put it on my 8800GT.

Looks almost identical to the VF900 I have on my 7900GT, just a different paint job. Since the memory heatsinks that come with the VF900 are not re-usable (adhesive backed), I would need to pick up a new batch of those. I know Newegg sells those for $9. I suppose I could rip them off the old card and use thermal epoxy, but getting new stick-ons appeals to my lazy side.

They actually are reusable. Use the freezer trick to twist them off of the memory. Let them heat up to room temp. Then use some rubbing alcohol on the adhesive to clean it and it sort of reactivates it. I've actually reused the heatsinks on 2 different video cards using this method and they adhere and transfer heat just fine.

^^^^^ :)

Thanks for the advice on removing the memory sinks. I had never heard of that method before. Yet another reason why visiting [H]Forums is a good thing. :cool:

The ND1 outperforms the fanned version (Accelero X1/X2), as well :).

That's a completely different heat sink. :):):):)

The Zalman VNF 100 will fit too, but it doesn't cool very well.

EDIT: Lets see... The Cooler Master CoolViva Pro SE fits too... XBitLabs sure has good reviews.

That's a completely different heat sink. :):):):)

The Zalman VNF 100 will fit too, but it doesn't cool very well.

EDIT: Lets see... The Cooler Master CoolViva Pro SE fits too... XBitLabs sure has good reviews.

Ahhh, didn't realize. :).

EDIT: That cooler looks nice... the CM CoolViva Pro, I mean.

So confirmed that 7900GT coolers will fit on these new cards? ... Assume so, since I see nothing to the contrary, other than the MOSFETS/related chips needing cooling that is.

...Nice to see I can reuse my Accelero S1 cooler when I finally make the purchase. I doubt the heat output will be *that* extreme. It's what 70w (maybe 80? overlclocked) w/ a 7900GT to ~90w (+ god knows overclocked and possibly vmodded) on the 8800? Took my current card from 80c+ w/ stock to mid/high 50s, passive. I'm certain it would work fine, if it gets a bit too toasty, then I can slap a "silent" 120mm (or 2) on it to back it up.

...Could also go the GPU waterblock route, but I current only have a 2x120 rad, and anticipate going QC in the near future...Not sure if any drastic changes to my cooling loop are int he cards for the time being, so I'm not sure I want the added heat of either starving either for cooling/overclockability.

Oh, and ps. Not sure if Im thinking of the same cooler, but if my memory is correct the CM Viva setup got *blasted* by the Accelero in a Madshrimps roundup (on a 7900GT) a while back.

edit: found it
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=16&artpage=2686&articID=593

~9db and ~6.5c difference in S1's favor (w/ the "turbo" fan module on LOW), again on a 7900GT. 1c, and 10db in the S1's favor when the Accelero was run PASSIVELY (albeit a 7v's 120mm rear case fan was on for that one).

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=289&code=013

I might have gotten a pair of these for my two cards if I had remembered it in time... fashion a self-made duct for it to exhaust the air, and I'd have been good to go. More costly, but these cool VERY well ;)! Yes, that is ALL copper with 4 heatpipes.

vf1000_f_p.jpg

Reminds me of the stock 7900GTX cooler.

Very cool.

Yeah, buying aftermarket cooling for this card is a must IMO. Mine goes to 84c core after playing Crysis. Idle temps are okay though at 53c. Temps shoot way up in load. Way higher than my 8800GTS, which never exceeded 70c.

That sounds like my 1900XT temps before i got the antec 900 case. Now i dont ever go above 71C, was usually hovering around 85-88c before switching the case.

I will let ya guys know my temps tomarrow, Hopefully i get my card early :)

The 8800gt runs cool. After an hour of testing in 3dmark and crysis neither of mine got above the mid 70's or even felt hot to the touch.

Though, running the fans above 30% or 40% speed is absolutely crazy loud. I had both mine running at 100% for a bit and could hear them from the edge of my front lawn. They are absolutely loud fans (running at 100% that is :p)

I got my card (Evga KO version) in today and stock it idles at 59C, Ati Tool's artifact test gets it to ~71C, 1 hour of TF2 gets it to about 91C.

I just installed my old KuFormula VF1+ and so far only tested Ati Tool's artifact test, but the temps are down to 49C on low fan speed setting.

I've got a question though, I noticed the stock cooler cools these red circled areas, but my KuFormula doesn't. I was wondering if anyone else is cooling those areas with a after market cooler or if I should even worry about it? I was going to put some extra ram sinks on them.

8800gtkuformula.jpg

I got my card (Evga KO version) in today and stock it idles at 59C, Ati Tool's artifact test gets it to ~71C, 1 hour of TF2 gets it to about 91C.

I just installed my old KuFormula VF1+ and so far only tested Ati Tool's artifact test, but the temps are down to 49C on low fan speed setting.

I've got a question though, I noticed the stock cooler cools these red circled areas, but my KuFormula doesn't. I was wondering if anyone else is cooling those areas with a after market cooler or if I should even worry about it? I was going to put some extra ram sinks on them.

[*IMG]http://johnle.com/storage/overclocking/8800gtkuformula.jpg[/IMG]

Put some extra ramsinks on them to be safe; those are the MOSFETs for the power circuitry, which can get quite warm

8800gtkuformula.jpg

Actually if you have a look at the refernce heat sink itself (not the top sheen), it does not contact these areas at all. So the refernce cooler does not cool these.

With your new lower overall card temps I would think these areas are better off.

Actually if you have a look at the refernce heat sink itself (not the top sheen), it does not contact these areas at all. So the refernce cooler does not cool these.

With your new lower overall card temps I would think these areas are better off.

It actually does have thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink to contact those areas.

Yeah it does have thermal pads there.

8800gtstock.jpg

Is it safe to put ram sinks on those MOSFETs? I don't want to short anything.

It actually does have thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink to contact those areas.

Actually yea you are right, I just had a better look at the pictures. I will see first hand tonight when I get mine home.

Any idea how hot to touch they are under load?, burning hot or only warm?

**Just to add, I am pretty sure these are power fets looking at the pictures, and are ok to get pretty hot within reason. Many motherboards do not have sinks on them etc, but I am no expert. Depends on the circuit itself so feeling how hot theses get may be the only way to judge. Nvidia may have just sinked them as the heatsink was getting close anyway and there fan design is less than efficient, then again they may need it.

They actually are reusable. Use the freezer trick to twist them off of the memory. Let them heat up to room temp. Then use some rubbing alcohol on the adhesive to clean it and it sort of reactivates it. I've actually reused the heatsinks on 2 different video cards using this method and they adhere and transfer heat just fine.

i didnt even clean mine up with alcohol. just gently twisted them off and applied to my new card. they stick great and ive havent had one fall of yet knock on wood.

Actually yea you are right, I just had a better look at the pictures. I will see first hand tonight when I get mine home.

Any idea how hot to touch they are under load?, burning hot or only warm?

**Just to add, I am pretty sure these are power fets looking at the pictures, and are ok to get pretty hot within reason. Many motherboards do not have sinks on them etc, but I am no expert. Depends on the circuit itself so feeling how hot theses get may be the only way to judge. Nvidia may have just sinked them as the heatsink was getting close anyway and there fan design is less than efficient, then again they may need it.

They get somewhat warm, but not burning hot. Yes, they are power 'fets... so while they're probably OK, if you're oc'ing heavily it's better safe than sorry on that :).

I'll probably put some heatsinks on them. I was just looking at my 7800gtx and it has a pretty decent heatsink on it to cool those things.

They get somewhat warm, but not burning hot. Yes, they are power 'fets... so while they're probably OK, if you're oc'ing heavily it's better safe than sorry on that :).

Good to know they are only warm, and for sure have to agree, slap something on them is the best option esp if overclocking.

Havening said that, they are probably cooler as is, than having that Nvidia oven covering them :p

I wonder if some vendors will put on a dual slot cooler for the Oc'd version down the line. Some of them are reaching 680-700/1800-2000 speed and would likely benefit from the extra cooling.

under stiff overclocking (648/1620/1080) i never had to worry about heat or fan noise with my GTS.

i could care less about heat, but noise.... i'll be reporting on how loud i think it is once i receive my 8800GT.

The fan only runs at 30%-40% most of the time so its not loud, it just gets very hot. At 100% fan speed it sounds like an electric rc car.

I added the heatsinks, its a bit ghetto now, but it works fine.

8800gtpower.jpg

Um, so has anyone tried the Arctic Cooling nv 5 yet? I would prefer arctic cooling nv 5 over the thermaltake CL-G0080. The Thermaltake's heatsink and fan suction over the mosfet are nice, but that 4 pin molex bothers me.

I added the heatsinks, its a bit ghetto now, but it works fine.

The nice thing about a standard P180 case (solid panel) is that everything doesn't have to be pretty for people that want to stare at your computer guts. Looks like a reasonable solution to me. :D

Yeah it does have thermal pads there.

8800gtstock.jpg

Is it safe to put ram sinks on those MOSFETs? I don't want to short anything.

Holy hell, what's with the disgustingly thick thermal pads? Two of them are even blocking airflow from the fan.

Anyone know if the 8800GT uses the same GPU mounting holes as the 8800GTS? I want to know if my Dtek waterblock will work.

I need clarification on this issue ASAP. I'm about to go buy a couple of coolers and I need to know definitely which type to get. Are the 8800GT compatible with the 8800GTX coolers or the 7xxx series?

No, it uses the 6/7 series mounting holes, not the 8800GTS/GTX ones.

W00t that's awesome. I was planning on getting a new heatsink for my 7800 GT and whenever I get an 8800 GT, I can just take it off and put it on the 8800.

Edit.

I've got 2 7800 GT's in SLi.
I was thinking of getting this heatsink cooler
thermaltakend1062xs1wf3.jpg

Does it look like it might be too big to fit the second card under it on the mobo?
I've got the EVGA-122-CK-NF68-T1 board.
13-188-012-03.jpg

Just picked up two of the Thermaltake ND1 for my cards. I'll throw them on and test when I get home from work.

Installed my Zalman VF-900cu off my old 7950GT onto my 8800GT last night.

Temperatures before

Idel = 56C
Laod = 82C (Crysis Demo 5 mins+)

Temperatures after

Idel = 38C
Laod = Most games GOW,COD4 55C / Crysis, Ati Tool Artifact tester 62C

As you can see my load temp dropped a very solid 20C. I would also like to point out the entire card now seems a LOT cooler to touch and there is next to no ambient heat radiating from it like there was under the stock cooler.

As JohnleMVP pointed out above, there are power mosfets that the stock heatsink covered. The power fets are only warm (upper warm) to touch and I personally believe they will be cooler like this opposed to the baking under that reference cooler that was scorching to touch. I will prob grab some sinks and cover them.

Edit-- I have since pointed a 80mm fan directly at the Mosfets, about 8cms away from the card and run it on the 5V rail so it is quiet, this has worked a treat.

**I believe it is important to have a case fan extracting hot air on the "GT fan side" of the card for any cooler that does not vent externally Stock/VF900. The card itself can act as a barrier to air flow and cause hot air to recycle pushing up temps in many computer cases. A slot cooler or a 80mm fan cable tied on the case above the PCI slots with blanking plates removed are cheap options.

8800GTZalaman.jpg

^ yet more proof the stock cooling on the 8800gt are inadequate.

Back