8 Things Anita Sarkeesian Wants To Change About Video Games

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Ducman69

Ducman69 [H]ardForum Junkie

You and I both know that Princess Peach is a ruler of a kingdom (Princess by name only, since there is no king or queen), putting her far on top of the socio-economic ladder above a mere plumber. She's also the biggest cock tease in the world, and I think we all can recognize by now that she is intentionally allowing herself to be captured for the sake of attention, to manipulate Mario and Luigi to literally risk life and limb fighting epic battles for her amusement having broken his body falling from immense heights into pits or burned alive in lava, to only be given as much as a kiss on the cheek to the emasculated husk of a man that is Mario, the true fedora tipping white knight who will do anything for m'lady thinking that someday, maybe ten years from now, she'll stop just leading him on and it will happen. If that isn't the epitome of modern day third wave feminism, where the land is ruled by women in positions of peak political power that control white knight men as their peons, I don't know what is.

If we wanted to make Mario Galaxy more empowering for boys, when the Princess is captured he should say "Pfft, you can have her, she's a bitch anyway" and then him and Luigi can go off and play together and prove that they don't need a woman to define themselves! DOWN WITH THE MATRIARCHY! ;)
    But not EVERY big budget video game, and over time the market has dictated what sells well and what doesn't, and the big budget games are going to target what has sold successfully in the past. How is it "broken" for a lot of games to make what a lot of gamers enjoy or as feminists have pointed out in this thread "can identify with"? Why should a vocal minority dictate that all games that don't cater to them need to be changed? This is what I don't get. Would Metroid have been more fun if it didn't have a single interesting character, and instead you got to pick whether you wanted to be a male or female at the start of the game? How can we see Samus as an individual if his/her gender changes at a whim... this is something I thought was actually rather dumb in Mass Effect as if anything I'd prefer you get to pick two unique individuals that vary in more than just gender.

And how exactly do you define what a "sexualized" male is? If there's a male character with a six pack not wearing his shirt, does that count as sexualized? Because we see that all the time, with men that are really physically fit with rippling muscles covering their bodies. My experience with women is that they find that a man looks best in uniform or in a tuxedo, and looks if anything his worst when he's just standing there in boxers, and absolutely comical if he's standing there in a European thong. That's because women are generally more attracted to POWER than flesh with a man on all fours arching his back, and video game men are almost always powerful alpha males. Or do you want to try and convince us that THIS is what women find sexy:
    [​IMG]

See feminists like to tell you that Marvel's Black Widow is sexualized, but have no comment about Marvel's Black Panther who is basically nude and spray painted black with a mask and a cape. Or heck, we see the same outrage from feminists about the female Spiderwoman, that she's TOO SEXUAL because of a particular pose that male Spiderman makes all the time:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2yEA6L06b...BQxaWaGO5g/s1600/spiderman+vs+spiderwoman.jpg

2. arr4ws

arr4ws [H]ardness Supreme

We cant win by argumenting with these kind of people. Its not a cause they have , its a job.

3. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

That's the worst bs I've ever heard. Criminal behavior is created by scarcity, depravation and jealousy. It has nothing to do with fisiology. It has everything to do with the environment.

4. CreepyUncleGoogle

CreepyUncleGoogle [H]ardness Supreme

Do you have any data to support that claim?

5. lilbabycat

lilbabycat 2[H]4U

There aren't many legitimate scientists that would agree that its 100% nurture and 0% nature. That would ignore every aspect of genetics, completely.

Being politically correct is as bad as religion when it comes to holding back science.

6. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

As opposed to male hormones?

7. Ducman69

Ducman69 [H]ardForum Junkie

This is totally off topic, but testosterone does produce a side-effect of increased propensity to violence and risk taking, and scientists found what they believe to be the "warrior gene" responsible for aggressive attitudes about ten years ago. We also know that aggressiveness is inheritable by selectively breeding animals, separating them into two groups with the most unusually friendly animals bred together and the most aggressive bred generation after generation in another group. Within a few generations you have super friendly animals in group A and ones that want to rip your head off in group B. So right now we believe that personality is 50% genetic.

That's actually part of the problem with the recent extreme liberalization of our public school system, in which the inherent differences between male and female behavior are ignored, and boys are treated like "defective girls": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFpYj0E-yb4

But really has shit-all to do with this thread to be honest.

8. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

If this is what that group stood for, I would have no trouble getting behind it. I'm all for real equality and real diversity so long as it isn't forced. However the reason some of us are so absolute in our stance against Anita and her ilk is because they are NOT trying to promote equality. They are only interested in pushing their agenda. They don't want equality, they are professional victims and they believe the only answer is heavy censorship and oppression that benefits them. So in short the same shit they are claiming is happening to them (it isn't, at least on the scale they claim it), they want to reverse. it is this mentality that I take massive issue with. I'm all for fixing real problems, I'm not supportive of supporting petty vengeance and bullying.

9. maverikv

maverikv [H]ard|Gawd

Where did you guys find all that straw?

To build a straw man that big?

I mean its huge. Did you rob a farm?

10. lilbabycat

lilbabycat 2[H]4U

Here's your last 3 posts, who's

Here's a term that may be new for you:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

You're either a very successful troll or absolutely delusional.

11. maverikv

maverikv [H]ard|Gawd

I'm curious which of those posts you think is a straw man argument?

12. stevedave

stevedave [H]ardness Supreme

I already won this debate long ago I just want/need to respond to this. Can you define what 'sex-appeal' Means for a man. I always thought it was money and power followed by a tall muscular body....Plenty of men in Boarderlands has that....and for the women we have this massive sex-appeal.

[​IMG]

13. lilbabycat

lilbabycat 2[H]4U

In the underlined you claim two things that are not true, but are claiming them as facts. What do you call that?

You're a hypocrite.

14. talk2troy

talk2troy [H]ardness Supreme

15. talk2troy

talk2troy [H]ardness Supreme

16. poee

poee Limp Gawd

I never bought into the idea that people objecting to a feminist critique of video games were "misogynists."

But then I read a lot of threads about it from reddit to FB to even [H], and so many places in between. There is no mistaking the obvious misogyny anymore.

17. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I think people saying there is no misogyny on the internet are the same people who say we're a "post-racist society"... :rolleyes:

18. Highwind

Highwind [H]ard|Gawd

is it necessary to necro this thread once a month?...

19. chockomonkey

chockomonkey [H]ardForum Junkie

That's what i was thinking. I'm tired of seeing her name. Let her and her stupid crusade die, folks.

20. Methadras

Methadras [H]ardness Supreme

And who cares. While I don't particularly care for misogynistic attitudes, what is the point of shutting down offensive speech on the matter?

21. Methadras

Methadras [H]ardness Supreme

Water is wet. You can go see it on YouTube. That's basically the extent of the argument about misogyny on the internet.

22. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

How about a rework of Team Fortress 2 with fat ass bull dykes as characters and they can only drive Subarus for vehicles.

[​IMG]

23. MostComfortable

MostComfortable Limp Gawd

These are the same idiots who link mental midgets like Thunderfoot and Karen Straughan unironically. :cool:

24. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

Though I agree, I doubt she'd let it die.

Funny how this thread popped up. So odd....

25. Shalafi

Shalafi Consigliere

She is all about profitting from "victimhood". SJW types fall for it hook, line, and sinker when they donate to her and her Patreon.

26. Waveforme

Waveforme Limp Gawd

Someone make this thread GO AWAY !!!

27. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

-.-

I wish people like this would just stop posting, it only makes her point more valid...

28. CreepyUncleGoogle

CreepyUncleGoogle [H]ardness Supreme

It's prolly not worth the effort, but you could just go by-name through this thread and come up with a reasonable statistic and confidence interval that supports the idea that she has a valid point. It's a pretty toxic community (if you wanna even call it that) toward anyone who doesn't meet the stereotyped requirements to participate in it.

29. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

There is misogyny on the internet and thus in gaming, just like there is racism on the internet and thus in gaming, and for the same reason, because these things exist in society.

The only difference is that most bigots, misogenysts (is that a word?) and racists are wimps, and don't dare be open about it. This doesn't go for all of them, but for a good portion. Enter the anonymity of the internet, and the flood gates fucking open, as all this pent up evil they have been keeping inside finds a release.

As I see it, these are not problems of the Internet or Gaming, and they will never be solved on the Internet or in Gaming. They can only be solved at the source, in society. Now how we do that, is beyond my paygrade.

For years I think many of us have thought we were fighting the good fight, by confronting these things when we see them, and it has worked to repress people with hateful views from expressing them as freely, but what is apparent is that it has done nothing to change their minds. They just vent anonymously online now instead (or when they get drunk at thanksgiving)

These things are real problems, and they need to be solved, but Internet and in game harassment isn't going anywhere until REAL WORLD harassment and bigotry disappears.

Now, on to the issue of skimpy outfits, bikini armor and only featuring "hot chicks" in games.

I don't think we can blame major game developers for marketing to their core audience. Who plays most non-farmville/candy crush type video games? Teenage boys. What do we know about teenage boys? Their bodies are undergoing changes, and as a result they have more hormones in their bodies than Barry Bonds. They - by and large - like just about anything with scantily clad, in shape young women in it, and I don't see it as a problem to give your core audience what they want.

These aren't the types of titles I would play, but in the grand scheme of it, games ARE a fantasy, not real life, and the teenage boys playing these games aren't idiots, they KNOW they are fantasy, and don't apply lessons learned in games to real life.

Even without the "horny teenage boy" factor, male characters are usually all muscled and unrealistic as well. It's not as if the teenage boys playing these things are all playing characters that look like themselves. These kids don't all have Mr Universe bodies (unless middle school has changed since my days there)

People like looking at attractive characters, even when it is not a sexual thing.

So, IMHO, its mostly a non issue. A temptest in a teapot. Much ado about nothing. No one is getting hurt, no one is being exploited (you can't exploit a fictional character, that isn't even depicted by a real human being, can you?

The only people it bothers are those like myself who are a little bit more mature, and like things more realistic, and the few young women who seek out these kinds of games.