8 Things Anita Sarkeesian Wants To Change About Video Games

We cant win by argumenting with these kind of people. Its not a cause they have , its a job.

... would support the idea that male hormones leads to criminal behavior.
That's the worst bs I've ever heard. Criminal behavior is created by scarcity, depravation and jealousy. It has nothing to do with fisiology. It has everything to do with the environment.

That's the worst bs I've ever heard. Criminal behavior is created by scarcity, depravation and jealousy. It has nothing to do with fisiology. It has everything to do with the environment.

Do you have any data to support that claim?

There aren't many legitimate scientists that would agree that its 100% nurture and 0% nature. That would ignore every aspect of genetics, completely.

Being politically correct is as bad as religion when it comes to holding back science.

This is totally off topic, but testosterone does produce a side-effect of increased propensity to violence and risk taking, and scientists found what they believe to be the "warrior gene" responsible for aggressive attitudes about ten years ago. We also know that aggressiveness is inheritable by selectively breeding animals, separating them into two groups with the most unusually friendly animals bred together and the most aggressive bred generation after generation in another group. Within a few generations you have super friendly animals in group A and ones that want to rip your head off in group B. So right now we believe that personality is 50% genetic.

That's actually part of the problem with the recent extreme liberalization of our public school system, in which the inherent differences between male and female behavior are ignored, and boys are treated like "defective girls": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFpYj0E-yb4

But really has shit-all to do with this thread to be honest.

Gonna have to call you on those games: mario features princess helplessness and rescue, need for speed typically uses scantily clad women to cater toward an audience. borderlands only features sex-appeal from female characters, braid is a game about reuniting a stalker with his victim, mass effect features waaay more lesbian relationships than gay male ones, an only featured gay male relationships in the final game, whereas lesbian relationships were featured earlier. Mirror's edge 2 is not released.

That said I agree with most of what's being said in opposition to feminist anti-equality such as Sarkisian's videos, but Anita represents a negative side effect to an actual problem that actually exists. It's getting much better, but it takes a large spoonful of ignorance for anyone to deny that big budget video games don't feature a bit of female oppression for the sake of typical male fantasy.

Mind you, I'm a huge advocate for equality; I don't want to get rid of the games we have today, I want the diversity to increase, so that much more people can enjoy video games as an artform

If this is what that group stood for, I would have no trouble getting behind it. I'm all for real equality and real diversity so long as it isn't forced. However the reason some of us are so absolute in our stance against Anita and her ilk is because they are NOT trying to promote equality. They are only interested in pushing their agenda. They don't want equality, they are professional victims and they believe the only answer is heavy censorship and oppression that benefits them. So in short the same shit they are claiming is happening to them (it isn't, at least on the scale they claim it), they want to reverse. it is this mentality that I take massive issue with. I'm all for fixing real problems, I'm not supportive of supporting petty vengeance and bullying.

Where did you guys find all that straw?

To build a straw man that big?

I mean its huge. Did you rob a farm?

Where did you guys find all that straw?

Here's your last 3 posts, who's

You're allergic to retardism and your reaction was to the gamergate critics? Lol.

Did a girl dump you once and hurt your feels, turning you into a MRA?

You guys think you're arguing with Anita here which is why you don't get it. You're delusional. Keep blowing each other over your "logical arguments."

Games are targeted at men because they allow you to live out male fantasies which is why only men play them which is why they cater to male fantasies which is why men play them.

No circular logic there at all.

And somehow you all find it so horrible that women want to play games? But hey have something to say about the sexism in games?

You and Anita are the same- you both are just people that have opinions. But you're acting like she is the head of some regulatory body that's going to take away your jerk off material. Newsflash: even if some games reduce their sexist content, the boob jiggling and chain mail bikini shit isn't going to disappear. Anita isn't going to take it away from you. She's just another YouTuber. A youtuber people like you gave more influnce to with your textbook fedora tipping neckbeard scratching rage monkey overreactions. Take a fucking pill.
A straw man is a common reference argument and is an informal fallacy based on the representation of an opponent's argument.[1] To be successful, a straw man argument requires that the audience be ignorant or uninformed of the original argument.

Here's a term that may be new for you:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

You're either a very successful troll or absolutely delusional.

borderlands only features sex-appeal from female characters

I already won this debate long ago I just want/need to respond to this. Can you define what 'sex-appeal' Means for a man. I always thought it was money and power followed by a tall muscular body....Plenty of men in Boarderlands has that....and for the women we have this massive sex-appeal.

17t2098d4wxbxjpg.jpg

I never bought into the idea that people objecting to a feminist critique of video games were "misogynists."

But then I read a lot of threads about it from reddit to FB to even [H], and so many places in between. There is no mistaking the obvious misogyny anymore.

I never bought into the idea that people objecting to a feminist critique of video games were "misogynists."

But then I read a lot of threads about it from reddit to FB to even [H], and so many places in between. There is no mistaking the obvious misogyny anymore.

I think people saying there is no misogyny on the internet are the same people who say we're a "post-racist society"... :rolleyes:

And who cares. While I don't particularly care for misogynistic attitudes, what is the point of shutting down offensive speech on the matter?

I think people saying there is no misogyny on the internet are the same people who say we're a "post-racist society"... :rolleyes:

Water is wet. You can go see it on YouTube. That's basically the extent of the argument about misogyny on the internet.

How about a rework of Team Fortress 2 with fat ass bull dykes as characters and they can only drive Subarus for vehicles.

tumblr_lxcjvs7hTP1qapljno1_500.jpg

She is all about profitting from "victimhood". SJW types fall for it hook, line, and sinker when they donate to her and her Patreon.

How about a rework of Team Fortress 2 with fat ass bull dykes as characters and they can only drive Subarus for vehicles.

tumblr_lxcjvs7hTP1qapljno1_500.jpg

-.-

I wish people like this would just stop posting, it only makes her point more valid...

-.-

I wish people like this would just stop posting, it only makes her point more valid...

It's prolly not worth the effort, but you could just go by-name through this thread and come up with a reasonable statistic and confidence interval that supports the idea that she has a valid point. It's a pretty toxic community (if you wanna even call it that) toward anyone who doesn't meet the stereotyped requirements to participate in it.

There is misogyny on the internet and thus in gaming, just like there is racism on the internet and thus in gaming, and for the same reason, because these things exist in society.

The only difference is that most bigots, misogenysts (is that a word?) and racists are wimps, and don't dare be open about it. This doesn't go for all of them, but for a good portion. Enter the anonymity of the internet, and the flood gates fucking open, as all this pent up evil they have been keeping inside finds a release.

As I see it, these are not problems of the Internet or Gaming, and they will never be solved on the Internet or in Gaming. They can only be solved at the source, in society. Now how we do that, is beyond my paygrade.

For years I think many of us have thought we were fighting the good fight, by confronting these things when we see them, and it has worked to repress people with hateful views from expressing them as freely, but what is apparent is that it has done nothing to change their minds. They just vent anonymously online now instead (or when they get drunk at thanksgiving)

These things are real problems, and they need to be solved, but Internet and in game harassment isn't going anywhere until REAL WORLD harassment and bigotry disappears.

Now, on to the issue of skimpy outfits, bikini armor and only featuring "hot chicks" in games.

I don't think we can blame major game developers for marketing to their core audience. Who plays most non-farmville/candy crush type video games? Teenage boys. What do we know about teenage boys? Their bodies are undergoing changes, and as a result they have more hormones in their bodies than Barry Bonds. They - by and large - like just about anything with scantily clad, in shape young women in it, and I don't see it as a problem to give your core audience what they want.

These aren't the types of titles I would play, but in the grand scheme of it, games ARE a fantasy, not real life, and the teenage boys playing these games aren't idiots, they KNOW they are fantasy, and don't apply lessons learned in games to real life.

Even without the "horny teenage boy" factor, male characters are usually all muscled and unrealistic as well. It's not as if the teenage boys playing these things are all playing characters that look like themselves. These kids don't all have Mr Universe bodies (unless middle school has changed since my days there)

People like looking at attractive characters, even when it is not a sexual thing.

So, IMHO, its mostly a non issue. A temptest in a teapot. Much ado about nothing. No one is getting hurt, no one is being exploited (you can't exploit a fictional character, that isn't even depicted by a real human being, can you?

The only people it bothers are those like myself who are a little bit more mature, and like things more realistic, and the few young women who seek out these kinds of games.

Back