7970 Purchasing Thread

Seems like a pretty reasonable price. OC kinda stinks, but 6 display support is nice. Anyone use directron before?

Also, I assume that, like most of the others, this is basically a reference board with a large cooler on it, correct? Only reason I ask is because of the non-standard outputs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ypFzdILgCw
seems like custom board

there is non oc version too that one is probably 20$ cheaper +-

Seems like a pretty reasonable price. OC kinda stinks, but 6 display support is nice. Anyone use directron before?

Also, I assume that, like most of the others, this is basically a reference board with a large cooler on it, correct? Only reason I ask is because of the non-standard outputs.

Directron is a very excellent retailer.
They usually take a full day to process your order, but packaging and shipping are excellently done.

I have ordered a number of things from them and have been completely satisfied.:D

They usually take a full day to process your order, but packaging and shipping are excellently done.

I have ordered a number of things from them and have been completely satisfied.:D

I ordered a corsair 750w years ago from directron. They were great! no complaints.

I want to order it from tigerdirect, amazon, or newegg. I get cash back there. So here comes the wait. I have decided! if this comes out next week its on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ypFzdILgCw
seems like custom board

there is non oc version too that one is probably 20$ cheaper +-

Dang. But the non-oc version doesn't have the 6 outputs, like the normal reference cards, right? Is it true that non-reference hardware doesn't typically OC or OV as well? I really liked being in on the game with my set of reference 6950s, since it made it much easier to find custom vBios and the like.

The site said you could pay an extra $5 to have it double boxed. Does that mean if you don't pay, they just slap a shipping label on the video card box itself and ship it? If not, I'm trying to figure out why anyone would pay for that.

I doubt these will be any cheaper
this one is oc version too
Non oc version is said to be 20~30 above msrp of reference card
so oc version at $599 is msrp most likely

Anyone wondering on NCIX's availability of the OC'd 7970's from GB and XFX, the XFX DD Black is expected Feb 15th (Fuck it, not waiting. ) and the GB 3 fan currently has NO eta <_<

I am done water cooling the GPU cards, because it is just to dam pricey. I sold my old eK blocks and GPU's and just bought a Asus DCII GTX 570 used and I am very impressed on how the card stays so quiet compared to the stock ref design. Fans on 50% right next to me on desktop on a torture rack and very quiet. My next cards will only be a Asus DCII or MSI style and that's it not wasting any more money on GPU Water blocks not worth it.

I am done water cooling the GPU cards, because it is just to dam pricey. I sold my old eK blocks and GPU's and just bought a Asus DCII GTX 570 used and I am very impressed on how the card stays so quiet compared to the stock ref design. Fans on 50% right next to me on desktop on a torture rack and very quiet. My next cards will only be a Asus DCII or MSI style and that's it not wasting any more money on GPU Water blocks not worth it.

I tried to do that this round.. been water cooling graphics cards since the Nvidia 6800 cards i believe.

After the first week i had to go back to water cooling.. just sent way too much to make my system near silent on the last build and have way too much cooling (3 tripple 120 rads and 1 quad 120 rad/6 pumps) to just cool the cpu/motherboard alone. It would be a waste.. better cooling, possably near silent operation and much higher overclocking.. me i'm sticking to water cooling even though i had to buy up another 4 graphics blocks 3rd time over.. 480/580 and now the 7970 quads. Sucks in every other aspect with buying and reselling the things but for use.. nothing better.

I think I may give that asus 7970 a shot... 599 seems somewhat decent with the dual dvi and 4 displayports.

Dang.

The site said you could pay an extra $5 to have it double boxed. Does that mean if you don't pay, they just slap a shipping label on the video card box itself and ship it? If not, I'm trying to figure out why anyone would pay for that.

This would apply to large items, where Directron will pack the retail item in TWO cardboard cartons; for extra protection. A box in a box so to speak.

I have found their shipping to be more that adequate, much the same as newegg or anyone else's boxing.;)

Zarathustra[H];1038314805 said:
Second that.

I'm definitely considering this now.

One question, once you do this mod, what do you trigger the fan speeds off of? Have you just set them manually to a fixed rpm?

I know the Kuhler 920 has software built in that allows you to control the RPM's based on loop temp, but the corsair ones don't seem to.

Is there any way to trigger the fans off of the pwm from the video card? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Matt

Did anyone notice this?

The fan connector below appears to be standard for all of the initial 7970 boards.

13261057943JEn6DNJhW_1_13_l.jpg

Does anyone know if the pinout and signals are the same as for a 4 pin PWM CPU fan?

The color of the wires suggest it is, in which case you could tap into this and use it to control the fans for one of those corsair hydro/antec kuhler mods. That would be freaking awesome.

I would probably just use the blue control wire though. Don't really need the RPM output from the fans, and its probably better to feed the fans power from a molex plug to avoid loading the video card with the larger, more power hungry fans.

Thanks, I just preordered mine. I hope I dont regret it considering other places might have it cheaper. I also hope directron is good since I never made a purchase from them yet.

Btw, anyone buys from them, used the code winterfree for 1% off. Saves $6 :D

did you get shipping estimate from directron yet?

Nope, I only got the email confirmation. I also got a call because I tried to stack coupon codes :p

Did they let you do it? I placed my order today and didn't have the second code at the time (only used the Winterfree one). Maybe I can call and have the $10 coupon applied too.

FYI, I got a call today too since I requested that they waive any sort of signature confirmation at delivery, and at the time they said it would be shipping out Friday. Not sure if that was completely up to date info or just whatever the guy had read about ETA that was posted on the website.

Did they let you do it? I placed my order today and didn't have the second code at the time (only used the Winterfree one). Maybe I can call and have the $10 coupon applied too.

FYI, I got a call today too since I requested that they waive any sort of signature confirmation at delivery, and at the time they said it would be shipping out Friday. Not sure if that was completely up to date info or just whatever the guy had read about ETA that was posted on the website.
They didn't let me use it. The guy mentioned I need to pick 1 so I used the $10 off. I think the best code would be to use the one mentioned here, Vitual10Hideout. The $10 code I used you need to agree to use a credit card and they can ship it out on wednesday if you placed it on the weekend.

Crap I didn't notice they do delivery signatures. I guess I'll have to pay my brother to watch for it

They didn't let me use it. The guy mentioned I need to pick 1 so I used the $10 off. I think the best code would be to use the one mentioned here, Vitual10Hideout. The $10 code I used you need to agree to use a credit card and they can ship it out on wednesday if you placed it on the weekend.

Crap I didn't notice they do delivery signatures. I guess I'll have to pay my brother to watch for it

Dang, I knew I should have ordered over the weekend. Just couldn't pull the trigger for some reason. Guess I just have to wait until next week since they won't ship mine until Friday. Does the wednesday shipping have something to do with the coupon? The way you wrote it made it sound like it did.

You can always call and have the signature confirmation waived at this point I would think. They certainly haven't shipped yet.

Dang, I knew I should have ordered over the weekend. Just couldn't pull the trigger for some reason. Guess I just have to wait until next week since they won't ship mine until Friday. Does the wednesday shipping have something to do with the coupon? The way you wrote it made it sound like it did.

You can always call and have the signature confirmation waived at this point I would think. They certainly haven't shipped yet.
Oh yeah, it seems like the thing I added to the cart is a weekend only thing. I think you will get your card before mine unless they ship mine out on this Friday, or else I might have to wait till next Wednesday for them to ship out

Free Shipping or $10 Discount, whichever is smaller, for 1st-time, registered customer on weekend orders larger than $100, paid w/ credit card & agreed not to be shipped until Wednesday 1 $0.00
*Is it OK to ship your order on Wednesday? == Yes
*Order must be larger than $100 == OK
*Order must be ordered on Sat Sun or Monday == OK
*This is my first order with Directron.com == Yes

I managed to grab a reference Asus 7970, but now am looking at the DC2T that is going to be available due to the 4 native display ports. As a newbie to all of this, does a factory overclocked card typically allow the same oc headroom beyond the factory overclock? I can't believe I am thinking about spending another $600...

I managed to grab a reference Asus 7970, but now am looking at the DC2T that is going to be available due to the 4 native display ports. As a newbie to all of this, does a factory overclocked card typically allow the same oc headroom beyond the factory overclock? I can't believe I am thinking about spending another $600...

It depends. Usually factory OC cards are binned chips (by board vendor, not GPU vendor) that perform better at lower voltages. They will usually probably OC better than stock boards, but there are no guarantees, and they are probably closer to their limits than stock boards as well.

As a newbie to all of this, does a factory overclocked card typically allow the same oc headroom beyond the factory overclock?

some vendors 'cherry pick' cores for their overclocked cards which in theory means it will have an increased potential for overclocking. in reality it's still just luck of the draw. my factory overclocked BEDD tops out at 1125/1575 which is middle of the pack.

So is the DCUII coming out on friday? If not ill just order a gigabyte standard for 550

So is the DCUII coming out on friday? If not ill just order a gigabyte standard for 550

Yes, according to what I've heard. The trigger will be pulled. Or not. I don't know, but I am getting antsy. Will probably wait for a review first... Scared that 2 will dump more heat than I want into my case.

Back