You got it!

I call it, "The AcryliCruncher".
3930k w/ Apogee HD
Rampage IV Extreme
Ripjawz (Gskill) 1600 4 x 4GB
3930k w/ EK Block
Seagate 1TB
Black Ice II 240 w/ AP 15's

Using right now in the Prime Grid Year of the Dragon Challenge:)

I busted all those asshats with the presidents masks back in '91 ;)

Ill be running benches after I get done with Prime Grid. I ran Furmark and had no problems at 1200 and stock @ 1.174 volts. Amazing. Can't wait to see what happens with some more juice.

Agent Utah, out.

Sweet!!!! Looks awesome! cant wait to know how far you will clock it. I am wanting to get a 7970 with a water block now as opposed to having the air cooled custom ones. But I cant decide.

Got 4 EK "nickel plated" 7970 blocks coming tomorrow ;) $3000 total in cards for BF3 hehe.. love that game.

Last edited:
At $550.00 for the cheapest card, I would say they're all gouging! I guess i've been out of the gaming loop for a while but I suppose some people need their Ferrari's:rolleyes:

Hmm, get the Gigabyte OC now or wait for the Asus DCII... I would probably go for the Gigabyte since it's only two slots and I want to crossfire, but the Asus actually gives me enough display outs.

Any info on Asus DCII release date?

For those interested, CanadaComputers has stock of a few brands of 7970 though they are slightly gouging, but will price match.

Looks like stock has picked up! Ugh, I just can't bring myself to spend that much on something I don't really need for 1920x1200 occasional gaming. I'll probably pick up a used 580 if I can get one for $350-ish.

Yeah looks like price has too. Newegg has been raising them all $10-$20. Sapphire was $549.99 when I ordered and now it's $559.99. The PowerColor was also $549.99 now it's $569.99. At least the ASUS got lowered down to a more reasonable $559.99 from like $589.99 at launch though.

Why didn't I think of this before? :confused: You're awesome.

Second that.

I'm definitely considering this now.

One question, once you do this mod, what do you trigger the fan speeds off of? Have you just set them manually to a fixed rpm?

I know the Kuhler 920 has software built in that allows you to control the RPM's based on loop temp, but the corsair ones don't seem to.

Is there any way to trigger the fans off of the pwm from the video card? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Matt

Zarathustra[H];1038314805 said:
Second that.

I'm definitely considering this now.

One question, once you do this mod, what do you trigger the fan speeds off of? Have you just set them manually to a fixed rpm?

I know the Kuhler 920 has software built in that allows you to control the RPM's based on loop temp, but the corsair ones don't seem to.

Is there any way to trigger the fans off of the pwm from the video card? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Matt

Sounds like a great idea indeed. Though without a custom block for your card, wouldn't this leave your VRRMs (and basically everything other than the GPU itself) without proper cooling?

Depends on the card, as the heatsink portion of the fan assembly / shroud usually covers those, separate from the heatpipes<>fins going to the GPU. You still end up having a fan running and it looks atrocious, but if you're that money tight (and buying $550+ video cards?), I guess it works.

Yea but 550+130 for a water block. 680 for 1 videocard. Thats really pushing it lol.

It's ~600 for one with a better air cooler. My block was $115. $65 more for the best solution that'll be cooler and quieter.. If you are already spending $600 what's 60-70 more?

In the past factory cards with waterblocks have went for $700++.

Sounds like a great idea indeed. Though without a custom block for your card, wouldn't this leave your VRRMs (and basically everything other than the GPU itself) without proper cooling?

I would highly suggest some airflow across the PCB and its components.

Is it doable in most cases without wire-tying fans somewhere to get airflow across the pcb? I have a spare unopened Kuhler unit I might try this with.

would just airflow across the VRMs be enough? the stock cooler touches/cools them also.

Besides the GPU and memory there are two other things cooled by the heatsinks shown in blue below:

Well everyone said be carefull with vrm and stuff. While in theory with new hwmonitor you can check vrm temps. And it doesnt rly get very hot. Just check it with new hwmonitor if its low then i would only care about core temp.

would just airflow across the VRMs be enough? the stock cooler touches/cools them also.

Besides the GPU and memory there are two other things cooled by the heatsinks shown in blue/green below:

Robbie where did you order your block from? I keep seeing them out of stock.

Robbie where did you order your block from? I keep seeing them out of stock.

frozencpu.com I had it set up for an email alert when it came in stock. I was at my computer when the email came in. I immediately ordered and 15 minutes later they were out of stock. They had about 20 total among all the versions.

I'll wait till Nvidia has an equivalent card out. Been burned twice on shitty ATI drivers, never again.

Hello first post here long time viewer blahblah. I think I finally have a card that I would like to overclock I am trying to find the % just cause I'm curious.

blahpic.jpg

Currently have this at 1200/1800 at the stock voltage (mainly use Trixx to overclock) says its at 1170
getting about 80-82c on the card after a few hours of bf3 or heaven benchmark. I've not tried to go above these clocks yet, but should I consider water cooling with this card?

Edit: probably should have posted this in the OC thread of this card but this is the thread that I have been more kept up to date on.

PPS: After reading that thread I found out how to do it myself it is apparently 83%. Sorry for being a typical noob.

Last edited:
i have a very minimal understanding of this, so take it for what it's worth. using a hexidecimal calculator:
32d = 813
100% quality = 3ff = 1023
813/1023 = 79.5% ASIC quality

and as far as i can tell from the limited sample of people reporting this data, it doesn't mean anything as far as overclocking potential.

Yeah I would have guessed it wouldn't mean much but I was curious anyways. Thanks for the input.

Newegg has the Gigabyte reference for 549, I'd scoop it before they jack the price up on that one too :rolleyes:

AMD does seem to have more frequent driver updates, but they have a longer list of issues with games. And I say that as a former AMD user, current Nvidia user, that might be going for a 7970.

Asus 7970 DCII for pre-order on directron with eta of 2/3/2012
http://www.directron.com/hd7970dc2t3gd5.html

Seems like a pretty reasonable price. OC kinda stinks, but 6 display support is nice. Anyone use directron before?

Also, I assume that, like most of the others, this is basically a reference board with a large cooler on it, correct? Only reason I ask is because of the non-standard outputs.

Back