7970 Purchasing Thread

Zarathustra[H];1038287120 said:
I'm pretty happy with my current performance. I don't really NEED a 7970 today. I feel like I will appreciate having two of them in the future, but right now, it doesn't make much of a difference for what I play.

My concern is the second hand value of my 6970's is dropping every day I don't sell them.

I also don't want to rush and get a stock design I will be unhappy with...

ask yourself: "what would Nietzsche do?"

Got my Sapphire 7970 and it's installed and wonderful. Can finally crank up the AA, etc.

I am noticing, however, that I get an occasional screen flicker on my main monitor (two-monitor setup) in SWTOR when I'm running in windowed mode. When I switch to fullscreen, no flicker. I wonder if it's some sort of timing issue. Using the HDMI to DVI cable and the DVI output to the main monitor.

I don't think you should have any timing issues using HDMI to DVI and DVI.

HDMI is identical to DVI signal wise, just that HDMI doesn't have the analogue stuff in it, and adds audio.

So, using a HDMI to DVI adapter should be - hardware/signal wise - transparent. It's just like using two DVI ports, if you had them.

This should not introduce any timing issues. If you were using a DP to DVI converter I would agree this might be the issue.

My best guess is that there is some sort of bug somewhere.

Got my Sapphire 7970 and it's installed and wonderful. Can finally crank up the AA, etc.

I am noticing, however, that I get an occasional screen flicker on my main monitor (two-monitor setup) in SWTOR when I'm running in windowed mode. When I switch to fullscreen, no flicker. I wonder if it's some sort of timing issue. Using the HDMI to DVI cable and the DVI output to the main monitor.

I play SWTOR too. I always play in full screen so I havent seen this but as im sure your well aware this game has a lot of bugs both in game and graphics wise :p

I would blame it on the game more not support the drivers because it seems that has been a big issue for lots of other people.

Damit!

Unfortunately, while the item(s) you ordered may have been shown as being in stock at the time you placed your order, the item was so popular, that when it came time for your order to be charged, the item(s) were no longer available in inventory. We're very sorry. If the out of stock item(s) are part of a combo deal, all items associated with that combo have been removed.

Newegg targets a 2-day turnaround for all orders; therefore we do not backorder any items. Your out of stock order was voided, and no charges were made to your account.

Just got the e-mail alert and ordered a Sapphire for my new build. Hopefully with 3-day shipping it comes on Friday and not Monday(hate no Saturday delivery for UPS).

Am I wrong?
Yes

AFAICS the PCB is not reference (No silk screened AMD logo) and the shroud is a custom design. It does have the dual BIOS switch though.
1412765204.jpg
1412765207.jpg

Last edited:
Looks more of an nvidia 580 cooler. Wonder how well it cools. But if thesecare $600. Then how much will a twin frozer be??

I gave in and ordered the reference Sapphire model. I was waiting for the gigabyte oc edition, but have come to realize it is probably not worth waiting for.

I missed the gigabyte once again. Seems they appear in the mornings while I'm working.

Congrats! Why two different models? Just going to keep the better one?

Thanks! I ordered them when Newegg stock was very low, so I bought the first two that became available, happened to be a XFX and Powercolor. Both reference design so they are essentially the exact same cards, only difference is warranty/customer service offered bu the different brands. My first time with either XFX or PowerColor, hopefully they are good companies to work with if there are problems. I am planning on keeping both to run in Crossfire! :)

Nice! They have a bunch in stock today at Newegg, and it's sooo tempting. Must resist!

Yes

AFAICS the PCB is not reference (No silk screened AMD logo) and the shroud is a custom design. It does have the dual BIOS switch though.

There's no AMD silk screened on any of the 7970s. Other than the PCB being red, what little we can see of the PCB looks reference.

Waiting for Amazon to restock. I can save 50 bucks in tax and get shipping next day for 4 bucks on my prime account. I never buy stuff on Newegg anymore because of that.

I purchased one 7970 already. 1200 Core with no voltage bump under h20.

Give me three please!

Waiting for Amazon to restock. I can save 50 bucks in tax and get shipping next day for 4 bucks on my prime account. I never buy stuff on Newegg anymore because of that.

Give me three please!

Sweet, pics?

Give me three please!

Hey aren't you supposed to be going after some bank robbers who where president masks?? :D

So the decision is. Do you buy reference and water cool it? Or... Do you buy non-reference.

Back