7970 "preview"

It's funny every single time a new card is about to be released there are always a number of random nobodys proclaiming that those cards won't be needed and that the product they currently have is enough.

Go back and read the threads from every video card generation launch, it never fails.
Totally true.

And this line of thinking is totally wrong for me. I want to push my games to at least 85 FPS because of my 120Hz monitor. It looks unbelievably smooth and I love it.

Even though my 5870 + 2500k can run every game reasonably well, I need to blow them out of the water for a beautiful-looking boost in FPS.

I bet Nvidia will drop the price of the 580, I would think they would have to to sell them. I am thinking they are counting on selling their current generation cards heavily for most of the year based on the rumored release dates of Kepler. A $400ish 580 seems possible?

Hmm...I clicked the link thinking there would actually be a real article with actual hardware.

I'm not even going to read pages 2-5 of a thread full of arguments over an imaginary product.

How 'bout someone get some real hardware and do some in-hands testing before we waste 5 more pages speculating and raging on each other over brand loyalty, insane or good prices, and shitty-to-great performance?

75 run-throughs, that's a lot to graph

Shoot me the data! I'm a whiz at data analysis and graphs! :D

eyefinity?

Exactly. Drives me nuts to hear people running at 1680x1050 saying new cards aren't worth it.

Sure, for them it's not, but for those of us at Eyefinity resolutions or with greater than 1080p resolution monitors, we know how those kinds of resolutions can bring even multiples of the top cards to their knees.

Shoot me the data! I'm a whiz at data analysis and graphs! :D

Exactly. Drives me nuts to hear people running at 1680x1050 saying new cards aren't worth it.

Sure, for them it's not, but for those of us at Eyefinity resolutions or with greater than 1080p resolution monitors, we know how those kinds of resolutions can bring even multiples of the top cards to their knees.

yup, try playing the witcher 2, or bf3 @ 3600x1920 with options on full, you'll quickly wish for 25% more performance :p

2 die shrinks for a ~30% faster than this gen leader :(

IMHO AMD should have made two distinct arch.

One general purpose/entertainment/gaming and the other GPGU/supercomputing.

Because GPGU overhead on GCN seems too big, and this card will be pushed hard even with midrange Kepler.

Would be nice to see AMD graphics making some money for a change, because they deserve it

Who wants to buy a GTX 580 with a 7970 on the market .....

One word, drivers. AMD drivers have had a ton of issues lately with new releases. It might be worth upgrading a single 580 to a 7970 but for multi-GPU setups I'd be very leery to say the least.

i need a nap

Sleep when you're dead!!! We expect the review to be up at 12:01AM EST :D. I guess we're just getting antsy as this is the first new card to be released in over a year along with the first die shrink in what? Two+ years?

I think it's a bad move if they paper launch this tomorrow. That will set a precedent and then NVIDIA can just paper launch Kepler when the 7970 is actually released and totally ruin AMD's launch. Who would buy a 7970 if they knew Kepler is coming and NVIDIA makes the same claims of ~30% faster than a 7970.

Either way I'm glad I can wait well into next year to buy a card. Let the beta testers work out the bugs on these new chips.

Last edited:
I think it's a bad move if they paper launch this tomorrow. That will set a precedent and then NVIDIA can just paper launch Kepler when the 7970 is actually released and totally ruin AMD's launch. Who would buy a 7970 if they kneow Kepler is coming and NVIDIA makes the same claims of ~30% faster than a 7970.

Either way I'm glad I can wait well into next year to buy a card. Let the beta testers work out the bugs on these new chips.

Kepler is 6+ months away. They won't paper launch it. Products (especially video cards) have been paper launched for a long time with limited availability while they produce and ship them. The design is done, it's in production/gone gold. Kepler has not. So... what the heck are you talking about???

I think it's a bad move if they paper launch this tomorrow. That will set a precedent and then NVIDIA can just paper launch Kepler when the 7970 is actually released and totally ruin AMD's launch. Who would buy a 7970 if they kneow Kepler is coming and NVIDIA makes the same claims of ~30% faster than a 7970.

Paper launch is bad for the sales of previous lineup, and with such move AMD hurt traditionally strong December.
Calculation proly being that those who waited would end up buying 7900/7800 in january/february.

As to when Kepler...
GK107 has been spotted in driver almost month ago,
but when and how Kepler arch. will be launched - no one really knows.

As fast as they can that's for sure, because Nvidia does not like to lose money :p

Good thing about it is, either they let AMD have a breather (we need better stronger AMD)
or we get better/faster Kepler soon, so its a W/W situation :D

One word, drivers. AMD drivers have had a ton of issues lately with new releases. It might be worth upgrading a single 580 to a 7970 but for multi-GPU setups I'd be very leery to say the least.

yawn.....at least AMD does not cook their cards with their drives...AMD also maintains a monthly release schedule with drivers is definately on the ball with hotfixes.....

yawn.....at least AMD does not cook their cards with their drives...AMD also maintains a monthly release schedule with drivers is definately on the ball with hotfixes.....

Yeah after about 6 patches in a month they do tend to get things straightened out. And I never said that nVidia hasn't had it's own problems but just looking at the [H] reviews of the latest games AMD drivers simply had more problems across the board. It was a reoccurring theme.

Yeah after about 6 patches in a month they do tend to get things straightened out. And I never said that nVidia hasn't had it's own problems but just looking at the [H] reviews of the latest games AMD drivers simply had more problems across the board. It was a reoccurring theme.

nvidia had some serious issues with DA:O if you recall, and BF3... and even skyrim!

Frankly, both of them have had foul-ups but I think blaming AMD more than Nvidia in that regard is nonsense. ATi has historically been worse in terms of drivers but that was ages ago and since AMD has bought them they've done very well and have been as reliable as Nvidia when it comes to fixes and drivers. Most of the claims that AMD video cards have horrible software support is based upon previous history and doesn't hold any water unless you throw nvidia in the same boat. And if we're going by the company's history then I seem to recall some green cards nearly catching fire...

I recently started going AMD because they offer better price-to-performance in the mid and upper price range without the need for a huge power supply. For nearly 10 years I only bought nvidia and they always ran too damn hot and failed on me within 2 years. I couldn't be happier since my transition and with my 6850, 5750 and 5870. All of them work very well with no driver issues.

The point is people are going to base their opinions on personal history with a company's products and there are a lot of personal opinions. Personal opinions should be taken with a grain of salt and looked at objectively. If we're to consider the last couple of years then AMD has been doing very very well and has been climbing in market share against nvidia and it isn't because their drivers are worse, but because they're roughly the same software-side and arguably better in terms of hardware -- though there are exceptions there as well. Nvidia has some good cards but they tend to cost an arm and a leg

Last edited:
Back to topic.

Bwahahahahaha!!!! Cough, sputter. What a fscking idiot. I mean, err, decorum, must use more decorum.

OK, back to the point, his article is actually really useful, quite useful in fact. Why? It tells us who NV PR is shopping their most laughable FUD to now that Fudo has learned after the "Fermi this year, honest" debacle, and even the echo chamber laughs at Theo. Note this one.

That said, complete bull, just wait till you see the real numbers.

-Charlie

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=145860&postcount=2303

Kepler is 6+ months away. They won't paper launch it. Products (especially video cards) have been paper launched for a long time with limited availability while they produce and ship them. The design is done, it's in production/gone gold. Kepler has not. So... what the heck are you talking about???

Closer to four months away by ever account that I've heard actually.

Not the high end Kepler part I thought. At any rate, I guess I'll stay up tonight and see want Santa can't bring me for Christmas.:mad:

Don't believe the bs 4gamer chart. They released a similar chart for AMD's 6xxx series that turned out to be completely false.

Don't believe the bs 4gamer chart. They released a similar chart for AMD's 6xxx series that turned out to be completely false.

Well if it comes out sooner you won't here me complain. Something tells me that Kepler is gong to be pretty amazing.

Well if it comes out sooner you won't here me complain. Something tells me that Kepler is gong to be pretty amazing.

something tells me kepler will be a dud but until it comes out it doesn't matter.. people said the same thing about the 400 series, look what happened with that.. if nvidia stays quiet and doesn't say anything about kepler or try to over advertise it before its released then it might be good, if Nvidia goes on the offensive with marketing because AMD beat them by releasing the 7000 series early then expect a repeat of the HD5k and GTX 400 series again.

Do we know what time specifically the NDA lifts? Is it 12:01 AM Eastern?

Back