7970 "preview"

Some games on that list is CPU bound, ie. F1 2011.

Other games are seriously NV biased, LP2, Crysis 2 etc.

Wait for [H] and other sites
they used a 3960X or 965 i7 so if games are cpu bound with a single gpu card using those cpus then we should just give up. :D

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-rad...ocking-benchmarks-and-conclusion/14308-4.html

1125mhz 6000mhz OC with just default CCC with no voltage mods. wow if this is true for all retail cards.

crysis2.jpg.jpeg

bf3.jpg.jpeg

Back to topic.

Bwahahahahaha!!!! Cough, sputter. What a fscking idiot. I mean, err, decorum, must use more decorum.

OK, back to the point, his article is actually really useful, quite useful in fact. Why? It tells us who NV PR is shopping their most laughable FUD to now that Fudo has learned after the "Fermi this year, honest" debacle, and even the echo chamber laughs at Theo. Note this one.

That said, complete bull, just wait till you see the real numbers.

-Charlie

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=145860&postcount=2303

Uh, um, unfortunately, it seems like naysayers, and even appoipin, was right. All the latest numbers indicate average of ~15-20% over 580 at BOTH 1080p and 1600p. Not even the estimated 25-30% most were hoping as the bare minimum. Even I was shocked at those number being lower than the 6870X2, something which I think would be the bare minimum.

You have said you have not changed any your predictions. Well you predicted that the 7970 is just a smidgen slower than the 6990. Care to change that now?

Regarding the launch price of this card, I have no idea what AMD is smoking. I shudder to think what the 7950 would be like, considering at best its only a direct clone of the GTX 580. Like last year they seem to hedging their bets on Nvidia being greedy and under/misperforming (not that they don't, but there's an eventual limit to that madness you know) instead of pushing themselves to be as competitive price/perform. as possible. Guess its truly a new era of market cynicism.

Looks like I can save myself $250 and just get a second 6970, although I might just wait a few weeks and see if the prices drop to reasonable levels. It so hard to resist new toys, even when the old ones work just as well (in Crossfire at least).

The only price that's going to move is the 7970 and it's most likely going up.
Just my thoughts.

all fifty of them :D

From Tom's:

AMD doesn’t have enough Radeon HD 7970 boards on hand to allow for testing Tahiti in CrossFire.

This is a passer from me. The performance gains honestly aren't too bad (I only have a 570) but they aren't what I'd hoped for and I've grown pretty happy with Nvidia's superior control panel and 3D support. I'm holding out for Kepler, and if it's a wash, maybe these will be on Craigslist by then...

I do like the more efficient power draw and additional eye candy. Not worth it for me yet but I do look forward to upgrading my 480 gtx soc. I really want to run eyefinity again but not until I can do it with 120hz monitors. Sucks that I can't play bf3 comfortably under 85 fps much less at 60. Too bad crt bezels are so thick too lol.

This is a passer from me. The performance gains honestly aren't too bad (I only have a 570) but they aren't what I'd hoped for and I've grown pretty happy with Nvidia's superior control panel and 3D support. I'm holding out for Kepler, and if it's a wash, maybe these will be on Craigslist by then...

If you look at legit's OC review, it matches a 590 on a stock power overclock so its pretty nuts.

Well if people are saying 30% average than 10% on a game or two is entirely possible, just like it's possible to get 50% on another game.

edit:
Did a quick number crunch on TPU:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/28.html

18% faster. $549 MSRP according to Anandtech.
I'm passing on this one for now.
If you go over 1920x1080 into the higher resolutions the 7970 extends its lead which is where the 30-50% that people are saying is coming from. Someone in the B3D thread mentioned OCs to 1.2Ghz on the GPU are common place. If true that is quite nice.

they used a 3960X or 965 i7 so if games are cpu bound with a single gpu card using those cpus then we should just give up. :D

also we need to find better games...

Stupid Civ 5, stupid Batman, Battlefield 3, Skyrim and Metro 2033... and Hard Reset

stupid Crysis 2 :mad:

Holy overclocking batman! Makes me wonder why they were so conservative with stock clocks...

Probably something to do with AMD being able to say you only need a 500W power supply and 750W for Xfire. The problem with that train of thought is the $549 MSRP which only enthusiasts will pay. I'm pretty sure if an enthusiast is willing to pay $549 for a graphics card, they would undoubtedly have a powerful power supply to match.

/Stares at the Seasonic X-1250W in my system.

Performance is supposed to improve with newer drivers, the 7970 has been tested with beta drivers. I have not given up totally, there's still margin for good improvements:
* Drivers (even after launch time).
* Improved fab yields.

That's like 10% faster than a 580. They are in trouble if that's accurate.

Bf3 without multisampling still Ultra, tells a different story.
if your min fps is the same as a 580 average fps, your in a different ballgame.
6552645731_4f8485f8af.jpg

Bf3 without multisampling still Ultra, tells a different story.
if your min fps is the same as a 580 average fps, your in a different ballgame.
6552645731_4f8485f8af.jpg

Yeah, those filters have pretty high computation costs, a subject were hardware can't do a big difference if it's not a ludicrous improvement.

The comparisons should be made without filters at first.

Back