7970 now on sale...

Good to see they are coming out at MSRP, not jacked-up prices. Still in-stock, too. Kinda surprising.

For now lol. Have faith in Newegg. After this first round of stock I'm sure they will start their "Market adjusting" and start gouging people.

always amazes me when folks buy cards at launch for exorbitant amounts; when same said card will be cheaper a few months down the road. American impatience in practice

your theory doesnt hold water when talking about most gpus, the 560, 580, 6950, 6970, 6990 al lhave held their price for damn near a year, btw hows that America(n) jealousy working out for you? Its only human nature to dislike and trash talk people that are more fortunate than you, ie American(s), you have a blessed day buddy.

^

Made me chuckle. Anyways is there an estimated date that these cards will be back in stock?

And almost immediately selling out. I'm so jealous. It may be time to unload my 6950's for one of these bad boys, then cfx later on

Once I get my tax return next month I'll purchase one, just not sure what brand I want to get.

XFX, Power Color are only ones in stock as of this post, going fast they are.

Which ever has the longest warranty in my opinion. Unlike others, i still like XFX -- i bought a couple 6850/6870 XFX and the company customer service responds to my tickets within hours (not days like others)

I feel like I'm one of the few out there with a regular Black Edition XFX, the non DD one. It's not even an option on NewEgg. Looks like the reference but came in a black edition box, SKU was FX-797A-TNBC. Weird.

Every time I've checked at least one model has been in-stock, and prices have remained the same. Sucks for those douchebags who tried to sell at $800 on release, lol.

Not to dump all over the [H] review of this card comparing a stock 7970 to an "overclocked" gtx580, but that comparison was quite misleading. A better idea of how these cards perform:

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/01/25/asus_radeon_hd_7970_video_card_review/6

Here we see that at stock, the 7970 has maybe a 20% lead over a stock gtx580, not a 40-50% lead over an overclocked gtx580.

Personally, I'm running an MSI gtx580 lightning with a decent OC, and in 1920x1080p gaming I'm matching my friend's 7970 frame for frame. The 7970 only begins to pull ahead when you go to 2560x1600 resolutions, or go Eyefinity. Even then, comparing OC to OC, you'll probably only see at best a 25% performance increase.

I personally am gonna stick with my 580, because the 7970 is about twice as loud, and I hate loud machines.

I'm running dual 6950s and am tempted to move to a single card solution due to power/noise ratio (and the fact nothing I play even uses Xfire).

I'm only running 1920x1080p on a 55" LCD

Worth it?

Not to dump all over the [H] review of this card comparing a stock 7970 to an "overclocked" gtx580, but that comparison was quite misleading. A better idea of how these cards perform:

Here we see that at stock, the 7970 has maybe a 20% lead over a stock gtx580, not a 40-50% lead over an overclocked gtx580.

Personally, I'm running an MSI gtx580 lightning with a decent OC, and in 1920x1080p gaming I'm matching my friend's 7970 frame for frame. The 7970 only begins to pull ahead when you go to 2560x1600 resolutions, or go Eyefinity. Even then, comparing OC to OC, you'll probably only see at best a 25% performance increase.

I personally am gonna stick with my 580, because the 7970 is about twice as loud, and I hate loud machines.

I currently own a 6970 overclocked to 1003//1476. I also owned a GTX580. My 6970 was much smoother and got slightly better frames than the GTX580. I had a pretty poor 580 and it didnt overclock well (maybe 10%). Even with a 10% overclock the 6970 did better in BF3 (the main game I play). That said, I sold the 580. I had a 7970 briefly (another on the way) and it blows away my 6970 in BF3. Absolutely kills it! I left the settings that were netting me an average of around 55 fps on the 7970 in BF3 when I installed my 6970 back in and it didnt handle it well at all. This is all at 1080p resolution.

You have a decently overclocked 580 matching a 7970 stock. Sounds to me like the 7970 overclocked will blow away your 580 and rightfully should as its priced higher but dont think for a second that your 580 can keep up @ 1080p res.

And at best 25% increase over the GTX580? Thats HUGE. GTX580 OC'ed will give roughly 50 fps in BF3 avg right? 25% is 12.5 fps. Ill take 62.5 avg fps over 50fps anyday (and yes, its noticeable).

And to answer your question above about worth it to switch to a single card. Do you have issues with crossfire? Do you notice micro-stutter? Are all your games compatible with XFire and run well? If they all do, I wouldnt make the switch.

Thats nice.

I'm running dual 6950s and am tempted to move to a single card solution due to power/noise ratio (and the fact nothing I play even uses Xfire).

I'm only running 1920x1080p on a 55" LCD

Worth it?

I went from 2x 6950's to a 7970 and have no regrets. OC the 7970 even on air and it runs like nobody's business. It'll play anything your 6950's will.

Personally, I'm running an MSI gtx580 lightning with a decent OC, and in 1920x1080p gaming I'm matching my friend's 7970 frame for frame. ..

Why do you spend $500-$600 if your resolution is only 1920x1080? That's a complete waste, imo.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just can't justify spending so much money when I can just set the details on medium/high instead of ultra. Then again, I don't spend much time tweaking game settings for the best image quality.

Some people like better graphics. If people wanted mediocre graphics on games, theyd probably play more xbox/ps3.

I "wasted" my money on a 7970 with only 1080p. I can run higher FPS at a higher graphic setting (I get more FPS with my 7970 @ ultra on BF3 than I do at medium w/ my 6970 overclocked).

I wouldn't call BF3 on a 6970 "mediocre" and I would never try to compare 6950/6970 graphics quality & performance to a xbox/ps3.

Your response is laughable. Sure the 7970 is faster, but the difference between a 6970 and a 7970 is NOT like comparing a 6970 to an xbox 360.

Xbox360 had the equivalent of a Radeon X1900, remember? That was 6 years ago.

Perhaps you'd be better off stating the 6970 has damn good graphics compared to KICK ass graphics on the 7970.

Really? Response is laughable? Why are we even on this website? Lets all go buy used AMD 5850's and run BF3 on low settings. Its better than xbox right?

You can have your opinion of a card but to say people "waste" their money on a card thats not really needed is really dumb. Have you looked at your sig lately? Do you really NEED 4.5ghz? Do you really NEED an expensive SSD just to make your experience more enjoyable?

Theres quite a noticeable difference between a 6970 overclocked and a 7970, much less a 7970 that can overclock close to 25% or more.

There's really no need to argue about each person's preference. If the person is happy with his purchase, content with the amount of $ he paid, why does that amount matter?
Pretty sure someone else will say this was said before so WTH am I repeating it here. Well guess some still forget about what I just wrote so.

doz, congrats on your purchase. I don't think I'll ever bring myself to plunk down 300+ for a graphics card but glad you like your purchase :D

The way I see it, if I enjoy gaming which I do (and so does my son), then why not? I spent $300 on my cpu when it first came out, and Ive got over $500 in SSD's, so why not put it out there? Not only that, if you turn-over your cards quickly, upgrading is ALOT cheaper (purchased 6970 at launch, still worth something a year later) as the "old" tech really isnt all that old.

Really? Response is laughable? Why are we even on this website? Lets all go buy used AMD 5850's and run BF3 on low settings. Its better than xbox right?

You can have your opinion of a card but to say people "waste" their money on a card thats not really needed is really dumb. Have you looked at your sig lately? Do you really NEED 4.5ghz? Do you really NEED an expensive SSD just to make your experience more enjoyable?

Theres quite a noticeable difference between a 6970 overclocked and a 7970, much less a 7970 that can overclock close to 25% or more.

I compared Call of duty MW2 from PC with a 6770 vs Xbox360 and the difference was pretty big. The xbox 360 is amazing considering its mega outdated hardware, what the xbox 360 does is render your focal point in high quality, and everything else is blurred. all the surrounding details, signs, etc that you normally arent focused on are barely rendered.

with the 6770 FPS was like 75-90 1920x1080p settings on high but not everything quite maxed ... everything on the screen was detailed and fully rendered. you dont notice it that much on the xbox until you see them side by side. so yeah, a 5850 >>> xbox360

There's really no need to argue about each person's preference. If the person is happy with his purchase, content with the amount of $ he paid, why does that amount matter?
Pretty sure someone else will say this was said before so WTH am I repeating it here. Well guess some still forget about what I just wrote so.

doz, congrats on your purchase. I don't think I'll ever bring myself to plunk down 300+ for a graphics card but glad you like your purchase :D

Prior to my Winfast Geforce FX5900 purchase who knows how long ago, ive never spent over $200 on a single video card... I have been completely happy with mid range cards in the $120-150 range or used previous gen high end stuff like 4870s, etc. So far I do not regret the 7970... so far.

Some people like better graphics. If people wanted mediocre graphics on games, theyd probably play more xbox/ps3.

I "wasted" my money on a 7970 with only 1080p. I can run higher FPS at a higher graphic setting (I get more FPS with my 7970 @ ultra on BF3 than I do at medium w/ my 6970 overclocked).

Ugh, for the time Xbox and Ps3 were released they were top notch in comparison of graphics. If you could buy a console today, that would offer the same experience as a PC in graphical comparison I bet you would rather spend the $300 vs the $1000+...I haven't played a console in awhile, and probably won't but most people can't justify spending thousands of dollars on a PC to play games. Rather, the enthusiast will always want the next best thing in regards to PC and its performance related to graphics.

Ugh, for the time Xbox and Ps3 were released they were top notch in comparison of graphics. If you could buy a console today, that would offer the same experience as a PC in graphical comparison I bet you would rather spend the $300 vs the $1000+...I haven't played a console in awhile, and probably won't but most people can't justify spending thousands of dollars on a PC to play games. Rather, the enthusiast will always want the next best thing in regards to PC and its performance related to graphics.

It does not take thousands of dollars to buy a gaming capable PC. Example system:

CPU: Phenom II X4 960T ($125)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 ($20)
HDD: 500GB WDC Blue ($90)
Mobo: ECS IC780M-A2 ($50 w/ $30 rebate = $20)
GPU: GTX 550 Ti ($120)
PSU: Corsair Builder 430W ($45)
Case: Rosewill Challenger ($40)

$490 before rebate.

That motherboard is poopy.

Also the 960t is on sale for $110 on newegg right now :p with the code from the email earlier in the week.

That motherboard is poopy.

Also the 960t is on sale for $110 on newegg right now :p with the code from the email earlier in the week.

Not to mention the GPU. Anything under the 560/460 on the Nvidia side just isn't worth it.

Personally I'd step up to a GTX460 1gig, but at this price point the 6850 is probably the best deal for less than $20 more than that 550...

Also, at that same price point, I'd go with a Core i3-2100 and low cost Intel H61 motherboard. You lose the ability to overclock (much), but in most software the i3-2100 will be faster than even an overclocked 960t.

The only exception would be rendering/encoding where the additional cores scale very well.

VRMs on that board aren't meant for 125watt processors I don't believe. Buying AMD boards for anything above a 945 x4 is a pain in the ass.

Price is still too high IMO with the GTX 580 posting similar scores and being hard for less.

I'm personally still at 1080p with a 5850, until I move up to a 120hz monitor I don't really see the urgent need for more performance.

I agree...why 400 plus..if it were priced at the out going model's price $349/$379..I would bite.

VRMs on that board aren't meant for 125watt processors I don't believe. Buying AMD boards for anything above a 945 x4 is a pain in the ass.

960t is a 95w chip.

Also, Amazon is oos but they have the 7970 Black DD edition for 579... link

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a serious question and would like your input. I am planning on upgrading from an HD5870 1gb SoC.

I will be playing at 2560x1440 and want to know if the XFX 7950 would do just fine on ULTRA with modest MSSA/AF whatever the quality modifications may be?

If so when you guys bench and need to discard the extra cards pm me on here :D.

I have a serious question and would like your input. I am planning on upgrading from an HD5870 1gb SoC.

I will be playing at 2560x1440 and want to know if the XFX 7950 would do just fine on ULTRA with modest MSSA/AF whatever the quality modifications may be?

If so when you guys bench and need to discard the extra cards pm me on here :D.

What games do you play? BF,SC2 and skyrim are the only games I play and they all are good on our resolution. Sometimes I dip into the high 30s but it's rare and not too noticeable for me

Back