7970 now on sale...

chrnochime

Gawd
I know their price aren't [H]ot, but figured I should give a heads up to those who live on the bleeding edge :D

Newegg 7970's

Edit: Oops I meant for sale not "On sale". Please don't flame me :p

Good to see they are coming out at MSRP, not jacked-up prices. Still in-stock, too. Kinda surprising.

Price is still too high IMO with the GTX 580 posting similar scores and being hard for less.

I'm personally still at 1080p with a 5850, until I move up to a 120hz monitor I don't really see the urgent need for more performance.

i was gonna jump on the 7970 cards untill i found a gtx 580 3gb from a fellow hardforum member for $350.

Hmm... can I get $550 for my 6990? If I can I'll bite on two of these

Price is still too high IMO with the GTX 580 posting similar scores and being hard for less.

I'm personally still at 1080p with a 5850, until I move up to a 120hz monitor I don't really see the urgent need for more performance.

yar 40~60% performance increase is similar ( with oc )

Just ordered mine, it was a close call between two 6970's or a 7970, but I went with the 7970 because I just got an eyefinity set up. I wanted to wait until the 6950's came out, because the 7970 is way overpriced, but my 5970's were crashing and I couldn't even play any games it got so bad.

Price is still too high IMO with the GTX 580 posting similar scores and being hard for less..

That's my guess as to why they're not totally sold out yet. Also maybe that the official release date is tomorrow, so maybe people didn't expect them out today.

That's my guess as to why they're not totally sold out yet. Also maybe that the official release date is tomorrow, so maybe people didn't expect them out today.

They'll probably be all gone by the end of the day, or next few hours.

Newegg is showing < 10 in stock for every brand now except Sapphire and HIS

Same here. Too bad it's not that easy picking up another 5850 for CF for cheap. But ya, I'll wait a bit longer for an upgrade.

Run a nice resolution like 2560x1600 or eyefinity and say that again.... also, 140fps is 100% faster than 70fps ;) not 40-60% :p.
You guys can keep on saying until your eyes turn blue. Or read my first response to this thread and just crawl back into the closet. :D

I find it amazing how people will flat-out reject reality to rationalize their own beliefs. The GTX580 3GB model costs more, btw.

These cards are not aimed at you or for those who play games at "American Idol" resolution. Stick with what you got.

Run a nice resolution like 2560x1600 or eyefinity and say that again.... also, 140fps is 100% faster than 70fps ;) not 40-60% :p.

This is the only time when I don't miss my 30" monitor. I had to constantly buy cards new at release to increase fps up to 60fps.
Now that I have a 1920x1200 monitor, I can upgrade later. 30" monitors and Eyefinity bleeds your wallet. I'll get another 30" monitor in the Spring, and I'll consider the 7990 or new Nvidia card.

This is the only time when I don't miss my 30" monitor. I had to constantly buy cards new at release to increase fps up to 60fps.
Now that I have a 1920x1200 monitor, I can upgrade later. 30" monitors and Eyefinity bleeds your wallet. I'll get another 30" monitor in the Spring, and I'll consider the 7990 or new Nvidia card.

They're pricier, sure, but they damn well deliver a hell of a better gaming experience :D.

They're pricier, sure, but they damn well deliver a hell of a better gaming experience :D.

Yes it does, I had a 30" and Eyefinity, but I've saved a lot of money by downgrading to a 24" monitor.
There's still not enough BF3 like games for me to justify the extra cost of high resolution gaming.
I'm not excited over a DX9 games(ports) @ 5760x1200, that's why I downgraded and saved $700.

Yes it does, I had a 30" and Eyefinity, but I've saved a lot of money by downgrading to a 24" monitor.
There's still not enough BF3 like games for me to justify the extra cost of high resolution gaming.
I'm not excited over a DX9 games(ports) @ 5760x1200, that's why I downgraded and saved $700.

Ok, so I'm not getting the complaint here or the bashing of those who do see the value & enjoy the experience... :confused: .

LOL, I should sig that!

You flatter me. However, I came across as a little more "dick-ish" than I meant to.

I've been running at 3600x1920 or 2560x1600 since 2008. Because of that I seem to have formed a pet peeve over the last couple of years about anyone who runs at "TV Resolution" calling it high resolution.

High-resolution is (bare minimum, to me) 1920x1200 (or higher)

For anyone using a 1080p monitor, for whatever reason, it simply makes better sense to skip this card because they'd be better off with the 7950 instead or save up the money to get into a multi-monitor setup later. Hence the remark that the card is not aimed at that person or those who run at 1080p

How is that? Of cource the 580 can be had for less. #1 You can buy them used for as low as $350, you cant get a used 7970 yet. #2 Microcenter. If you live buy one you can get a 580 for $520 or months ago when they where selling the Zotacs for $400.

I'm fine with 1080p resolution. It's higher than what most people are running and it serves me fine for FPS/RTS. Could give a shit about your opinion, never asked for it. Just stating mine. :rolleyes:

I find it amazing how people will flat-out reject reality to rationalize their own beliefs. The GTX580 3GB model costs more, btw.

These cards are not aimed at you or for those who play games at "American Idol" resolution. Stick with what you got.

How is that? Of cource the 580 can be had for less. #1 You can buy them used for as low as $350, you cant get a used 7970 yet. #2 Microcenter. If you live buy one you can get a 580 for $520 or months ago when they where selling the Zotacs for $400.

I'm fine with 1080p resolution. It's higher than what most people are running and it serves me fine for FPS/RTS. Could give a shit about your opinion, never asked for it. Just stating mine. :rolleyes:

This card isn't aimed at you. nothing to see here....move along...

anyone still wanting a 7970 from Newegg better buy fast. 8 Sapphire cards and 6 HIS cards left and that's it for the time being.

I think you are just thread crapping. This is for people who want to buy 7970 not for people who want 580. 2 months ago for 400 doesn't count bud.

I want one but cant buy one for another week or so.

I'm hoping my experience with the Sapphire 7970 is a little better than my last Sapphire 5870 experience...

If it is, I'm going to sell my 6970s for $180-$200 each so I can get rid of them quickly. If I keep them around longer, I'll just end up upgrading my HTPC/Backup Gaming machine to accomodate them and it won't be nearly silent anymore

DISCLAIMER: I sell only through the local want ads at the Navy base I work at so this is not an advertisement here. No PMs

Way too expensive for me. I am glad to see that newegg isn't price gouging though. Hopefully the lower models will be released soon and we will see some price drops on the 69xx series cards.

Way too expensive for me. I am glad to see that newegg isn't price gouging though. Hopefully the lower models will be released soon and we will see some price drops on the 69xx series cards.

if you want 69xx cheap
it's perfect time to get em on this fourm

Back