7970 now on sale...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Did every manufacturer launch with 2 MDP, 1 DVI and 1 HDMI port again? So without 3 DP connection cables it is now once again impossible to play 3x1 portrait mode eyefinity without nasty tearing on one monitor? Or did they fix the underlying issue that caused the tearing?

Based on this looks like it still exists....
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662914

That's killing my chance of upgrading, anytime soon.

Wasn't there a release list for when all the 7xxx cards where coming out? I'm wondering on a price and release date for like the 78xx series.

For those of us that upgrade every few generations, paying $400-$500 for a video card isn't that bad. I don't go out and buy the best and upgrade for 30% different. I'm coming from a 3850 and I want to be able to go for another 3 years with the newest video card. Now, if I had a nice 6000 series GPU, no way I'd buy a new card. I couldn't do it. But, my card will play all the games right now, on low settings. I want to be able to run higher, and at a higher resolution.

Did every manufacturer launch with 2 MDP, 1 DVI and 1 HDMI port again? So without 3 DP connection cables it is now once again impossible to play 3x1 portrait mode eyefinity without nasty tearing on one monitor? Or did they fix the underlying issue that caused the tearing?

Based on this looks like it still exists....
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662914

That's killing my chance of upgrading, anytime soon.

It looks like all of the currently released boards are based on AMD's factory design, even the ones with custom coolers on them.

As the board partners get to actually customize their boards, I wouldn't be surprised if we see different outputs.

That being said, if you have three displayport compatible monitors, couldn't you just use a displayport splitter? I was under the impression that each displayport can carry multiple monitor signals.

That way you wouldn't have to use one of the active converters that causes tearing or lag or different types of outputs.

I could be wrong though.

Zarathustra[H];1038241932 said:
That being said, if you have three displayport compatible monitors, couldn't you just use a displayport splitter? I was under the impression that each displayport can carry multiple monitor signals.

Yup, you could, if such an item existed.

The trick is to sell your cards while they have value and then add to it out of pocket. This way you do not lose much money. Look on cragslist on parts you can resell. I've upgraded many things for very cheap by selling my parts while they have value.

That doesn't work for cars and it sure as hell won't work for PC parts. If anything you are best by buying and holding till the card just won't work anymore.

Zarathustra[H];1038241250 said:
You can't play games today on a card you buy tomorrow.

1.) Wait for new video card model to be released (it will drop prices on existing ones, and be much faster)

2.) Want top model, wait for prices to go down.

3.) Waited long enough, next generation is right around corner, might as well wait for it (it will drop prices on existing ones, and be much faster)

4.) Want top model, wait for prices to go down.

5.) Waited long enough, next generation is right around corner, might as well wait for it (it will drop prices on existing ones, and be much faster)

etc. etc.

At some point you just have to go all in and buy the damned card, or you will be waiting forever and be stuck on an older slower card and be unhappy...

You know what? I worked my butt off in college and because of that I now have a pretty OK income. Not astronomical, but pretty OK. I get by.

If I choose to use that income to fuel my hobby that is my choice, and really none of your business. You should be happy that launch day buyers exist, as we help pay for the R&D of the product. If everyone waited and waited for the best deal, AMD/Nvidia would have less incentive to develop new products, product life cycles would be longer, and our hobby would be less interesting.

You can quite frankly take your - presumably - European arrogance, snobbery and jealousy and shove it.

While I don't always agree 100% with everything you say, this sums it up pretty nicely.

Sometimes you gotta ask do I want my vehicle in real life to run better or do I want my vehicle in BF3 to run better.

I think it'll cost a hell of a lot more than a card to make my planes run better. They always end up in flames =(

I'm broke, unemployed, and looking for work :)

I bought once as a graduation gift to me (with a combination of gift cards and selling unused/old parts). My total cost out of pocket ended up being about $30.

Zarathustra[H];1038241833 said:
heh. Scalping video cards.

What wonderful people there are out there.

Looks like some are trying, but without any takers. lets hope it stays that way. I would love to see these morons lose money :p

If we look at the history of completed listings, it looks like a few have failed to sell at under $600 as well :p

Yeah...I won't name any names but I've seen at least one thread over in FS/FT with someone trying to do this. Actually they are trying to "pre-sell" the cards...haven't even gotten them themselves yet. :rolleyes:

That's pretty sad and goes against the spirit of the community IMO. I can see making a small profit but $250 markup on a $550 card is just outrageous.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Powercolor model came in stock at Newegg and I sprung for it. I haven't had a Powercolor card since either my 9700 Pro or X800 (can't remember which). Anybody know how their support is these days if I were to need a RMA down the line at some point?

EDIT: A Diamond model with a 5 year warranty came in stock so I canceled my old order and placed a new one. Anybody have any experiences with Diamond's support/RMA?

Last edited:
The Powercolor model came in stock at Newegg and I sprung for it. I haven't had a Powercolor card since either my 9700 Pro or X800 (can't remember which). Anybody know how their support is these days if I were to need a RMA down the line at some point?

Only experience I had with them was a about 2 years ago when I bought a fanless HD5750.

I emailed their tech support before I bought the card asking about specific dimensions and fit information (the heatsink was HUGE) and they were very good about responding pretty quickly.

Can't speak to RMA's or anything like that though.

sapphire version is in stock

As is the Diamond version.

For a fraction of a second I was considering it, but I think I'll hold off for a custom cooler version instead, like an Asus DirectCU II or MSI Lightening model.

Zarathustra[H];1038242410 said:
As is the Diamond version.

For a fraction of a second I was considering it, but I think I'll hold off for a custom cooler version instead, like an Asus DirectCU III or MSI Lightening model.

Fixed.

Zarathustra[H];1038241833 said:
heh. Scalping video cards.

What wonderful people there are out there.

scalping something that is not amazing and expensive to start with is tough business lol. not the greatest decision makers.

It's incredible how people already are trying to resell em for 800... almost 200 more than retail.. I'd understand maybe if it was sold out but there is a ton more lying around on Newegg -___-

It's incredible how people already are trying to resell em for 800... almost 200 more than retail.. I'd understand maybe if it was sold out but there is a ton more lying around on Newegg -___-

I think a few folks underestimated the amount of supply available. I have a feeling a few folks are going to have to eat restocking fees in the near future.

I think a few folks underestimated the amount of supply available. I have a feeling a few folks are going to have to eat restocking fees in the near future.

It was already rumored that they will have more than enough.
So much that the 7950 delay could have been a measure to prevent 7970 overstock.

Zarathustra[H];1038241990 said:

Well the one review says it doesn't even work and all he wanted to do was mirror it. I've seen a few that will let you mirror the connected monitors, but haven't seen any splitters that let you run 2 separate images. MST Hubs were supposed to do just that, but haven't heard anything about them in a few months. DP1.2 and daisy chaining could work, but then I'd have to upgrade monitors. I'm just surprised that since it was a known issue and these cards are mostly being sold to eyefinity users that they would of fixed the tearing problem somehow.

I purchased one from an online retailer (not newegg) today. Hopefully the 'in-stock' actually meant in stock.

As much as I would love to try the new 7 series I think my x-fired 6970's and I7 950 will hold me over until the beginning of next year.

I fight the upgrade demons for about 2 years on my rigs then upgrade.

Yeah that is good stuff, especially when they say "wish I could keep them but can't afford".
Looks like they keep getting a slow trickle in stock at newegg though.

lol at all the price gougers. Have fun selling something back for cost after new stock comes in.

I myself wont be buying until maybe after March, trying to buy a house so all my savings will be going towards that soon. But if I don't then someone will be getting a new 7990.

Back