7700K for Delidding!

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by FrgMstr, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

mmm
    Well first you need to take care of the difference in height

that's probably the worst

the DIE reminded me of my AthlonXP and Duron days

should be fine if handled with care
    if you get the height right

also a custom cooler would probably be better for that

AiO use a pump on the CPU block
    adding weight, as well as strain from the hoses

using a custom loop you remove the weight of the pump and you can make the hose or pipes fit to you're case
    removing any pull from them

2. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

I'm in the exact same position, and wonder what the point of re-applying the IHS actually is, is it because the core will be crushed when you apply a cooler to it without the IHS, or is the IHS thick so that the core is recessed and does not touch the cooler after IHS removal?

I'm really thinking of doing this to my old Haswell, as it's core temps are insane (Prime95) at even 4.2GHz, and I know just how bad the IHS is.

Also, does anyone know of a delidding tool that's sold in Europe?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  3. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

There's a height difference
    cooler wouldn't make contact
    Edit:
    for instance

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...d-3770k-an-h100-and-9-different-tims.2285595/

Overclocker UK
    or Caseking in Germany

both the same tools, as they are partners

it's out of stock now (here in germany) since they make new ones for kaby lake

difference in Temps of naked vs with IHS is, what I found on forums, something like 5 degrees

Stimpy88 likes this.
  4. Hitti2

Hitti2 Limp Gawd

Pretty safe if you had a naked mount kit example: I have an ivy bridge naked kit by ek but I need a certain water cooling block by ek. Ek need make one for this processor and WC CPU block.

Peter2k likes this.
  5. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

Yeah those would be nice

however I've even seen different statements if the same mounting kit actually fits for skylake (no info as far as I can see on Kaby)

so mmm

sure would love some custom mounting from EK for each generation

6. schlitzbull

schlitzbull Limp Gawd

Does TIM become less effective over time similar to thermal paste? I've never done this before and may try it out on my 2700k.

7. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

TIM = Thermal Paste (or whatever you decide to use)

schlitzbull likes this.
  8. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

You're 2700k is soldered to the IHS
    there is no paste
    while it is possible to delidd it, we're looking at a decrease of temps around 5 degrees for you

might give lapping the IHS a try

soldered parts also tended to have more uneven IHS

[​IMG]

schlitzbull likes this.
  9. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

Many thanks for taking the time to answer...

I have been all over OCUK site, and have used the search and all categories I can think of, and I cannot find any kind of de-lidding hardware... Do you have a link or just the make of the De-lidder? I'm sorry, I am normally the first to roll my eyes at people that can't use search, but I really can't find it! lol

10. Dekar12

Dekar12 Gawd

Uh... I think the Sandy Bridge ones are soldered to the heat spreader, so this method of delidding does not work on them. It might be possible with the right tools and enough heat to loosen up the solder, but chances are high on just destroying the whole thing.

schlitzbull and jfreund like this.
  11. canmanone

canmanone Limp Gawd

why are consumers doing intels work when intel should of already been doing this work for us. we shouldnt have to delid our cpus. this is just pathetic on intels part. the TIM that they use is useless. with all their r&d money they cant even put a proper TIM on their cpus. intel your useless and pathetic

12. BillyK1998

BillyK1998 n00b

This might be obvious but I couldnt tell by your picture with the lid reinstalled with the red rtv. There is a gap in the black rtv probably to keep pressure from building up under the lid.

13. jimbob200521

jimbob200521 Gawd

Yeah I never understood why they'd skimp on something as important as TIM on a K series CPU. I could understand an i3 or something that was intended for an office environment but a CPU meant to be OC'd? Come on now, that's first grade stuff there...

Ocellaris likes this.
  14. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

only in archive

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/der8auer-delid-die-mate-hs-000-dr.html

probably making a new one for kaby

otherwise ebay might be you're friend
    I found mine that way

it's just in between generations that don't fit

Stimpy88 likes this.
  15. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

There's actually an ongoing discussion in other boards that it's not so much crappy TIM, but too thick glue

having done the delidd myself
    I have to say I was astonished how much paste there was in between

I was always taught that the job of the paste is to fill up microscopic unevenness between the 2 surfaces

since Metall on Metall would give best heat transfer, but no surface is absolutely plane and even

paste fills up the smallest places

but there was quite a lot of TIM under the IHS
    looked to me like the 2 surfaces never had actually contact at all

Stimpy88 likes this.
  16. Folterknecht

Folterknecht n00b

17. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Fixed easily. 1484789058VJv6XPTukY_1_2_l.jpg

DrBorg, Stimpy88 and Peter2k like this.
  18. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

Ahh new one

says 22.02 available

cool

19. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

20. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ard|Gawd

I haven't really been into the "OC" crowd for awhile, but I was always a nervous wreck putting heat sinks on Athlon XPs back in the day and being afraid of cracking the die, and having to worry about shorting the f#$ker out with Arctic Silver....I haven't OC'd much in my recent builds largely because of lack of need and time to tinker like I had in my early years. How much difference are folks seeing with de-lidded CPUs? Enough to warrant the pain in the ass, or is this just something for folks playing at the extreme end of things?

21. arnemetis

arnemetis 2[H]4U

Just a heads up for Kyle, the link text reads red RVT instead of red RTV. Hooray typos!

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

Once Kyle gets the testing done, you'll see exactly for this example. Most posts I've seen are showing a 10-12C decrease in temps. Probably not worth it IMO, unless you have free time and money to burn. The difference in temps would probably get you another 1-2% increase in your overclock, but unlikely you'd get much more than that.

I seem to remember reading the problem wasn't with the TIM itself anyway, it was the spacing between the die and the heatspreader. De-lidding and reseating the heatspreader manually just enabled you mate the surfaces better than Intel's high-volume automated process.

TheHobbyist likes this.
  23. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ard|Gawd

Suppose that makes sense. While I don't miss the risk to the die, the move to heat spreaders on enthusiast level chips never made much sense to me. I mean, why do I want a layer of aluminum and whatever junk TIM material between direct contact with a pricey HSF/AIO? Of course, the last time I had a HSF put directly on the die it was this old beast....which I thought was absolutely massive back in the day.....I'd feel less confident trying to maneuver a big tower cooler or waterblock with stiff hoses and such.
    upload_2017-1-19_11-52-27.jpeg

24. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire 2[H]4U

Pusher of Buttons likes this.
  25. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

You say that now :ROFLMAO:

I was kinda surprised when my Temps on my 7600k dropped 20 degrees :D

but then mileage e may vary
    as in how thick the glue actually was on you're modell

26. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

We've been doing that for years now, using tape that is to boarder cpu die/ihs when applying liquid TIMs.

It's a helluvalot more than 10-12c.

https://hardforum.com/threads/delidded-6700k.1920121/#post-1042721901

Peter2k likes this.
  27. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

Well, from the manufacturer's point of view, heatspreaders make a LOT more sense. Protect the die from mechanical damage, and provide a much better (mechanical) interface for a wider variety of heatsinks. The few degrees of temp difference are really irrelevant for 99% of users anyway.

The difference varies pretty widely from chip to chip. Which leans towards my belief that the TIM Intel used isn't the problem, it's the gap between the die and the heatspreader. There's no way you'd get a 20C difference with just a change in TIM...most TIM changes are only a couple degrees C either way. 20C implies a poor fit between surfaces.

28. thesmokingman

And let me also add that besides the massive temp drop with delidding, the REAL key is overclocking at a high level. What happens when pushing for 4.8ghz to 4.9ghz with Skylake or 5ghz with krabby lake is that you end up going tooooo close to tjmax, think temps well over 85c at those clocks. Thus delidding drops your temp 20c, thereby making 4.8ghz on skylake and 5ghz on krabby, an easy feat to achieve.

You have obviously not done it before yet you argue the point like you have?

29. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Not a bad idea at all, but hardly needed unless you are just going hog wild. Not anything next to the Kaby Lake die to contact anyway IIRC.

Peter2k likes this.
  30. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

Well, to start, I've worked with thermal dynamics for years, and taken quite a few classes on the subject, specifically how heat transfers through materials. I've done my research, because according to physics, you should always see a temp improvement by removing the "lid" and having one less thermal barrier to transmit your generated heat though. But the thing is, the heatspreader material, and the TIM on the inside are VERY thin by design, and present very little barrier to heat transfer.

If you hop onto ANY big online "roundup" of TIM's done by your favorite review site, you'll see there's usually only a 4-5C difference between the top and bottom compounds. Even on sites that use crap like toothpaste or mayonnaise as a test substance. A good TIM is designed to fill the small gaps between the two metal transfer surfaces, NOT present a solid layer of material. If you have a good mount between the surfaces, the TIM becomes nearly irrelevant, and a $2 tube of thermal grease will be almost as good as a $20 liquid metal kit.

So, if you're seeing a 20C difference at these thermal power levels, that implies that you don't have direct die-to-metal contact, you have a relatively thick layer of TIM that's filling the air gap between the die and the heat spreader.

I'd bet good money if you removed the lid, scraped the old glue off and simply remounted the lid with the stock TIM, you'd see almost the same improvement in performance.

c3k, Peter2k and FrgMstr like this.
  31. thesmokingman

You wouldn't get shit, maybe 5-6c like the Linus did in his video where he delidded with regular paste using stock cooler. Again, you're arguing shit in the face of evidence. And this theory of too much height under the IHS is just a theory, an assumption started by Silicon Lottery that has somehow become a freaking Gospel. No need to debate this point further lol. smh.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ies-overclocks-inside-now-with-delid.2493250/

32. magoo

magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

pretty cool little tool.

I think I'd simply use Noctura NT-H1 paste for the inside. Probably better than the standard Intel stuff.

I wonder if JB Weld would work or I think JB Weld has a high temp product, too?

33. thesmokingman

You want to be able to remove the IHS in the future man, JB weld is a bit overkill.

34. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

When you're done shaking your head, can you perhaps propose a theory as to WHY you're seeing a 20C difference? Even the worst, most generic thermal grease shouldn't have that much of a temperature delta if the surfaces are properly mated.

35. thesmokingman

I'm not going to bother because I've no way to test my theory and I'm definitely not gonna sit here and act like its a fact when I've no fucking clue.

36. drakken

drakken [H]ard|Gawd

They put the lids on so that when you tighten the heat sink down it does not crush the cpu die which is organic substrate. I would not be surprised if the tim they use is machine applied in a clean room with little to no oxygen. Most people use silver nitrate which bonds to oxygen molecules so the ones that have the metal to lid are likely permanently welded in place and the ones that can delided are vacuum sealed with tape/paste/glue to hold them in place when the seal is created. So the heat sensors likely do not work as well if they are no longer vacuumed sealed. Those sensors measure the resistance of the air in the sealed area and if you reseal it and the cpu has no way of telling how much air is there or what the base line resistance is you may actually be getting worse temps but the sensor can not meausre it correctly. Much like if you increase or decrease the size of the wheels on your car and the dealership does not adjust the speedometer.

37. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

DrBorg and thesmokingman like this.
  38. thesmokingman

lol exactly what I mean.

39. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

I honestly can't test my theory either, not without a stack of Kaby Lake samples and some good x-ray equipment. I'm just talking the facts of heat transfer. That's the fun of the discussion though.

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. Jorona

Jorona 2[H]4U

Uh, the heat spreaders aren't sealed.

Stimpy88 and FrgMstr like this.