70% of Employers Rejected Applicants Over Online Info

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just another reason to think twice before posting party pictures on your profile.

A full 70-percent of surveyed HR workers in the U.S. admitted to rejecting a job applicant because of his or her Internet behavior. Meanwhile, about 60-percent of surfers admit to being concerned that their online behavior may affect their professional or personal lives. A mere 15-percent of them, though, actually take these potential repercussions into consideration when posting content.

In other news, water is wet.

The sky is blue..

Never gets old. :rolleyes:

Kind of nice to have this quantified for a change. As opposed to "OMG! I compained about my job and insulted my Manager and now I'm fired!" anecdotes.

Unfortunately, while the article emphasizes that an online profile can actually help candidates, it doesn't provide any numbers or list behaviours in support.

I still can't fathom why people want to post everything they do online? Are there that many vain people in the world that think other people give a crap about their daily lives? And are those people so stupid as to post pictures of them smoking weed ect. and think it won't come back to haunt them?

I still can't fathom why people want to post everything they do online? Are there that many vain people in the world that think other people give a crap about their daily lives? And are those people so stupid as to post pictures of them smoking weed ect. and think it won't come back to haunt them?

Intelligent people realize this possibility; there's a good reason for the water is wet comments

Never gets old. :rolleyes:

Kind of nice to have this quantified for a change. As opposed to "OMG! I compained about my job and insulted my Manager and now I'm fired!" anecdotes.

Unfortunately, while the article emphasizes that an online profile can actually help candidates, it doesn't provide any numbers or list behaviours in support.

That one Facebook story was so hilarious. The one where a lady posted a tirade about her job and boss on her wall, and her boss posted a comment "did it ever occur to you that you've friended me and I can see your status update? By the way, you're fired."

I know a lot of recuiters that use Pipl.com to search on applicants, and turn down a bunch for stuff they find

It's funny, when I was still a teenager back in the 90's I used ICQ, mIRC and a slew of other contact methods. Nowdays I am a site level IT admin for a fortune 100 company and I don't use Facebook/twitter/myspace, I write checks to pay bills and I do not carry a cell phone around with me outside of work (it stays in the car). It seems I must have regressed to pre 1980's levels of connectivity lol.

But I sure as hell will not be getting fired/denied a job for inane posts about my life online.

It's funny, when I was still a teenager back in the 90's I used ICQ, mIRC and a slew of other contact methods. Nowdays I am a site level IT admin for a fortune 100 company and I don't use Facebook/twitter/myspace, I write checks to pay bills and I do not carry a cell phone around with me outside of work (it stays in the car). It seems I must have regressed to pre 1980's levels of connectivity lol.

But I sure as hell will not be getting fired/denied a job for inane posts about my life online.

You crazy!! A phone connects you to literally, a world of information, and at least to emergency services.

Don't post pictures on the internet you don't want seen. I have about a dozen, but Im not shown actually drinking the cup or doing anything dumb, and I hope my private settings, don't let just about anyone view my pictures, or I will be filing a compliant with FB

It's funny, when I was still a teenager back in the 90's I used ICQ, mIRC and a slew of other contact methods. Nowdays I am a site level IT admin for a fortune 100 company and I don't use Facebook/twitter/myspace, I write checks to pay bills...

I have never used a check in my life. Money orders FTW.

-S

All I ever show are pics of my cats and my rigs/toys at home on my accounts. Even if I did something dumb, I'd never post it.

My roomate once posted a video of both of us getting drunk as a skunk and having the most off the wall conversation, the next month when I was looking for a better job, I made him take it down ;)

Don't post pictures on the internet you don't want seen. I have about a dozen, but Im not shown actually drinking the cup or doing anything dumb, and I hope my private settings, don't let just about anyone view my pictures, or I will be filing a compliant with FB

Works great until someone takes a picture of you and posts it to their profile.

I'll just stay in my basement 'til the zombies come. :)

My roomate once posted a video of both of us getting drunk as a skunk and having the most off the wall conversation, the next month when I was looking for a better job, I made him take it down ;)

I like Facebook, but the one very annoying aspect of Facebook I wish they would get rid of is the photo tags. If someone tags you in their album, it shows up in yours.

I can't count the times I had to go through my album and untag myself from photos I don't want on my site.

I like Facebook, but the one very annoying aspect of Facebook I wish they would get rid of is the photo tags. If someone tags you in their album, it shows up in yours.

I can't count the times I had to go through my album and untag myself from photos I don't want on my site.

Would you rather they have you tagged and you have no knowledge of it? At least this way you can review them.

You also have to worry about other people posting pictures on their own Facebook pages that just happen to catch you in the background. This is why I hate it when people are being lame and taking pictures at parties and in bars.

Would you rather they have you tagged and you have no knowledge of it? At least this way you can review them.

That's true. But what I wish for is they would put it in some sort of holding bin only you can see until you approve or reject the tags.

That's true. But what I wish for is they would put it in some sort of holding bin only you can see until you approve or reject the tags.

That's a good idea, but I don't think it'd be very practical. For example, what if you tag someone that rarely, if ever, actually logs in? Your pictures would never be published. You'd have to monitor who does and doesn't approve tags regularly before tagging anything.

That's a good idea, but I don't think it'd be very practical. For example, what if you tag someone that rarely, if ever, actually logs in? Your pictures would never be published. You'd have to monitor who does and doesn't approve tags regularly before tagging anything.

Not necessarily. I don't care if someone post a picture of me on their site. It's the tags I dislike.

For example, my 10 year old niece loves to play on Facebook. She would find funny pictures and tag people's name to them. It's cute, but after awhile it clutters up my album lol

Another example is my brother collects old family photos and keep a huge collection on his album with our permission, but once in awhile he'll find something funny, and tag it to annoy me, such as an old Halloween pic of us when we were 7 that I despise and never want to see again.

Sibling rivalry, you see. :-P

I have never used a check in my life. Money orders FTW.

-S

Money orders are the devil's work I tell you. In line at the post office and random mexican in front of me with a weeks pay getting MO's to send the money to the family in Mexico taking like 15-20 minutes >< On top of that he doesn't get just one he gets like 5 different ones.

How about this...

Let the photo be published without the tag and the tag would only be added after it was approved by the person tagged.

Not necessarily. I don't care if someone post a picture of me on their site. It's the tags I dislike.

For example, my 10 year old niece loves to play on Facebook. She would find funny pictures and tag people's name to them. It's cute, but after awhile it clutters up my album lol

I was doing that to my buddy. I took a picture of a horse's ass and tagged it as him. He somehow made it so I can not tag him anymore.

Eh, personally I think some of this has gone way to far. 15 years ago HR didn't have this kind of information, and guess what they hired all those same types of people they wouldn't hire now due to the fact that they don't like their personal life. Are the people these days worse then 15 years ago? No. People just know about the stuff people do when not at work.

While I understand where some people are coming from to a certain extent, I'm of the opinion where as long as you get your stuff done at work and are doing a good job, I don't give a damn what your doing on the side.

I was doing that to my buddy. I took a picture of a horse's ass and tagged it as him. He somehow made it so I can not tag him anymore.

I believe the option is in Settings > Privacy Settings > Applications and Websites > What Your Friends Can Share About You > and uncheck My Photos. I'm not sure.

I don't want to turn off tagging though. I just want to approve and reject them before the tags apply to someone else's photo.

While I understand where some people are coming from to a certain extent, I'm of the opinion where as long as you get your stuff done at work and are doing a good job, I don't give a damn what your doing on the side.

What if I'm robbing banks and murdering puppies?

What if I'm robbing banks and murdering puppies?

If you do your job well whilst under my supervision (and I'm liable for you), I could give a shit less what you do on the side. Don't murder/rape me or mine and I'll be none the wiser.

If you keep all your settings private, how does an HR department find out anything?

You would be amazed how many people put coworkers on their facebook

Exactly, one of my coworkers have about 3/4ths of the company (including some of management) as his "friends" on facebook. Which also means that they get the notices every time he does something in Mafia Wars that sends out a notice during work hours.

If you had a page that was just for you actual friends that is one thing. But hell, now adays people add their coworkers, business clients, everyone that went to school with them and everyone else to their pages.

If you keep all your settings private, how does an HR department find out anything?

It's the Internet. No such thing as privacy on the Internet. If you won't want it on the Internet then you don't put it there in the first place.

It's the Internet. No such thing as privacy on the Internet. If you won't want it on the Internet then you don't put it there in the first place.

Meanwhile, other will put your stuff on the internet anyways, whether your careful or not.

Oh I know the internet is not private, but for the average company I'm wondering how they are getting this type of info. Assuming you don't add anyone you work with, and keep your profile to friends only... they shouldn't be able to see much correct?

Back