• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6870 Benchmarks Leaked

Wow! That's one hell of a jump.

I think I'll be keeping my 480 SLI for now, but I'm glad to see there will be a lot more horsepower on the market when Crysis 2 comes out. That game looks frakin' REAL!
 
Why has no one asked the question?

When is this rumored to be released? I know we dont have a concrete date.. but w/e... do we have a time frame? Are we talking about as soon as september? Q4 2010 perhaps before the Holiday? Or are we talking like.... 1H 2011 bleh?
 
I've heard late September for the 6700 series, October for the 6870/6850, and after a couple more weeks the 6890(6870X2). All just speculation, as I've also heard late November to an early 2011 release, though not mentioned as much.
 
It will be at 2560x1600+. I think the 6870 might finally be the card that has the horsepower to put 2GB of RAM to good use.


agree.. the problem the 5870 has always had is that its completely gpu limited before the video memory even comes into question.. 30% performance increase i could see 2GB maybe 1.5GB actually showing a good performance boost..
 
For some, yes. There are many a thread about how the last 4-5 releases have lowered performance and introduce bugs which can be bad enough to render the card unusable for games. Most people though, like myself, aren't having any issues, but it's kind of a gamble at the moment.

but at least they don't burn out your card.. right? :p

they both have issues.. just which one you prefer... :rolleyes:
 
but at least they don't burn out your card.. right? :p

they both have issues.. just which one you prefer... :rolleyes:


lol finally some one brought that up.. :p gets old listening to how bad ATI drivers are and yet no one ever mentions to wonder card killing drivers from nvidia..
 
Benchies look nice, if true, but I'm not upgrading anything for at least a year. The miserable economy has made gaming a very low priority for my money. My CF 5870 will do just fine for a long time.
 
wow very nice benchmarks and timing.

Saving up now for 3 30inch dell monitors as we speak. 2 of these 6870's in CF should do the trick.

Lets hope they have 2gigs of memory
 
Hrmmm.. might actually think about upgrading if the price is right.

For now, even at 1920x1080 with pretty high settings with my 4850 slightly overclocked, most everything still plays pretty good.

The 10.8 driver set definitely did something with how shadows are rendered.

I have been playing the open beta of Heroes of Three Kingdoms and with the 10.7 driver set I had detail turned all the way up and shadows off because shadows cause some jerkiness.

With the 10.8 set, I have been able to turn shadows all the way up as well as enable
4xAA (with edge detect) with no apparent slowdown.
 
I don't have a 5xxx, so tell me... Are the drivers really that bad?

No, they aren't. The biggest problem is CFX scaling, which ATI seems to fix and then break and then fix. CFX is kind of a mess, but for single card users the drivers have been great.

I can't wait for the 6870, a 30% boost in performance would be most welcome at 5760x1200
 
I can't wait to see what the 6570 will be like. Need one for my low profile HTPC. The 5570 was good but not enough performance for me.

Not interested in the 6870 though. The 5870 is more than fast enough for my needs and the games I play at 25x16.
 
No, they aren't. The biggest problem is CFX scaling, which ATI seems to fix and then break and then fix. CFX is kind of a mess, but for single card users the drivers have been great.

I can't wait for the 6870, a 30% boost in performance would be most welcome at 5760x1200

Yes I couldn't agree more, pretty much every issue I've had in crossfire I've been able to "fix" by turning off crossfireX or Disabling CAT AI. I can't wait to go back to a single card config. I've heard they're using higher end 7 GBPS GDDR5 but I hope they increase the framebuffer at least for the 6870 to 1.5GB+
 
Yes I couldn't agree more, pretty much every issue I've had in crossfire I've been able to "fix" by turning off crossfireX or Disabling CAT AI. I can't wait to go back to a single card config. I've heard they're using higher end 7 GBPS GDDR5 but I hope they increase the framebuffer at least for the 6870 to 1.5GB+
EDIT: this is just my situation. mATX =/= nice to sandwitched cards cooling with a *really* light OC (875mhz... lol).
Then there is the heat issue, which I resolved by removing one of my HD5870... until I need two, I'll just keep this one in a drawer, lol. mATX isn't cooling friendly, in the sense of slot spacing.

I haven't had anything other than a minor flickering issue in the menu of Mirror's Edge while using 10.7a with two HD5870 w/ CCC Advanced AI w/o forced settings anywhere, but otherwise maxed. Minor issue, as it doesn't impede anything.
 
Last edited:
Then there is the heat issue, which I resolved by removing one of my HD5870... until I need two, I'll just keep this one in a drawer, lol. mATX isn't cooling friendly, in the sense of slot spacing.

I haven't had anything other than a minor flickering issue in the menu of Mirror's Edge while using 10.7a with two HD5870 w/ CCC Advanced AI w/o forced settings anywhere, but otherwise maxed. Minor issue, as it doesn't impede anything.

Thats odd, I have had a hd 5870 in the past one of the cooler running cards for the speed it has. I don't know what heat issue you are having specially with the hd 5000 series.
 
Thats odd, I have had a hd 5870 in the past one of the cooler running cards for the speed it has. I don't know what heat issue you are having specially with the hd 5000 series.

Lol, I setup a custom fan profile in AB to keep the fans at under 75C... balls to the walls in fan speed. The "heat issue" I refer to is just me, :)

The top card would always run hotter, so I had a rather loud system, even at "idle."

Also because Flash would ramp my GPUs upto 850c for no reason :mad: a simple advert shouldn't do that, but it does.

Finally... at 1600x900, nothing would down one HD5870 (well... maybe Metro2033, or something like that :p), so I am reserving the second one outside of my case until I:

get a bigger case, motherboard (with some decent slot spacing, too!)
run into a game that uses crossfire well, and would clearly overpower a single HD5870



-OR- on the 31st, when I recieve my U2311h, then I'll consider adding the second one in.
 
[H]ocusPocus;1036116518 said:
+3. The ol 4850 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Time to pass it down to my son :D

You know that is a great card. Deserves to be in the GPU hall ot fame. The only game I cant max out so far is Crysis but with half medium and half high settings, I get 43 fps! Thats pretty damn good for a card thats approaching 3 years old and is paired with a $70 Athlon proc. I really want to get a Phenom 555 and OC it to 4 GHz and see what this 4850 can do.
 
Holy cow...here I went from a 7800GT (too hot) to an 8400GS. Now I'm pondering a 4850, but would prefer a 5xxx for eyefinity...you guys are smokin' me :)

I guess my Q6600 @ 1.6ghz doesn't impress you either :p
 
Holy cow...here I went from a 7800GT (too hot) to an 8400GS. Now I'm pondering a 4850, but would prefer a 5xxx for eyefinity...you guys are smokin' me :)

I guess my Q6600 @ 1.6ghz doesn't impress you either :p
:confused:

You got that thing undervolted for silence in your bedroom or somthin?
 
If these are true, then I have a feeling my 5850 BE's are going to be going for sale. I love Crossfire, but would prefer to have a single card as it makes life easier for playing older games. Currently when I want to play an older game like Grim Fandango, I switch Crossfire off in the ATI tools and it is a minor annoyance.
 
I don't have a 5xxx, so tell me... Are the drivers really that bad?

For some people, they have been great. For others, they have been absolute shit. (For me, they have been shit too) When the 10.5a driver came out in June, it was prob th emost solid driver that AMD/ATI released to date for the 58xx series cards. My performance nearly doubled with these drivers alone. With the release of the 10.6 driver/onwards, performance has been spotty esp with BF:BC2. I play this game a ton. With the new 10.8 driver and the 10.8a app profiles, the performance is back where it should be.

But the last 3 months have def been a step back with the AMD/ATI driver team IMHO...
 
If these are true, then I have a feeling my 5850 BE's are going to be going for sale. I love Crossfire, but would prefer to have a single card as it makes life easier for playing older games. Currently when I want to play an older game like Grim Fandango, I switch Crossfire off in the ATI tools and it is a minor annoyance.

http://radeonpro.info/
 
I can't wait to see the thermals and power usage on those things. (Good bye 470 GTX.)
 
Impressive if true. After my 4870 x2 and then 5870's driver issues I don't think I'll be dropping my 460sli setup any time soon. Stupid 5870 couldn't even remember my monitor order when turning eyefinity on or off... And once even lost the ability to do portrait mode randomly until I reinstalled. I'm done with ati.
 
For some people, they have been great. For others, they have been absolute shit. (For me, they have been shit too) When the 10.5a driver came out in June, it was prob th emost solid driver that AMD/ATI released to date for the 58xx series cards. My performance nearly doubled with these drivers alone. With the release of the 10.6 driver/onwards, performance has been spotty esp with BF:BC2. I play this game a ton. With the new 10.8 driver and the 10.8a app profiles, the performance is back where it should be.

But the last 3 months have def been a step back with the AMD/ATI driver team IMHO...

This goes back to ATI having problems with CFX, which you are using. Single card drivers have been fine :)
 
...well, looks like my current vid card will soon be on sale. Of all the talk lately of a subdued improvement over the 5800's for the 6800's, these benchmarks are beasty...
 
I wonder if the retail packages will include the new $30, Active DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI Adapter with the 6800 series. That would allow a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 for 3 monitors.

They should be out in September. Here is a link to one on NCIX:
http://www.ncixus.com/products/55259/B087B-005B/Accell/NCIX shows them in stock at the warehouse shipping in 1-2 business days. Amazon shows the item as not yet been released.
Amazon shows it as an active adapter but NCIX doesn't specify if it is active or passive.
http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283143866&sr=8-9


According to Anandtech "the Active adapters are labeled with "Active" to differentiate them from passive."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3879/active-singlelink-displayport-adaptors-available-soon
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like it will be time for an upgrade. I was going to go for the 5970 when it went on sale after the initial intro. Instead they pissed me off by jacking the price up an extra $100. I usually buy a card every generation but that sort of crap got me to think long and hard about how much I would spend versus the improvement. Wasn't worth it. Here's hoping they bring out a stellar card at a reasonable price. I

I think a 6870ish level card at about $450 would be reasonable. I know. Wishful thinking on my part but if they want volume sales in this economy they need to come back down to earth on pricing. Worst case scenario would be picking up a pair of Nvidia's to SLI. I don't see CF improving much in the near future and Nvidia has definitely worked on hitting the price for performance ratio. You just have to put up with a little heat and noise. Might be a good time to start watercooling and reduce the impact of that issue.
 
I don't see CF improving much in the near future and Nvidia has definitely worked on hitting the price for performance ratio. You just have to put up with a little heat and noise.

You just saw CF improve with a simple profile update and now a dev from AMD is actually on the forums here gathering data for bug fixes in the profiles.

Not to mention the 6870 is going to be a power house of a card on a single GPU that will beat the 480 and compare to a 5970. That's not even counting the potential OC head room. Unless you're running a big multi-monitor rig that single card will be plenty for most people.

I await the benches from [H]ard & Anand.
 
Sounds like it will be time for an upgrade. I was going to go for the 5970 when it went on sale after the initial intro. Instead they pissed me off by jacking the price up an extra $100. I usually buy a card every generation but that sort of crap got me to think long and hard about how much I would spend versus the improvement. Wasn't worth it. Here's hoping they bring out a stellar card at a reasonable price. I

I think a 6870ish level card at about $450 would be reasonable. I know. Wishful thinking on my part but if they want volume sales in this economy they need to come back down to earth on pricing. Worst case scenario would be picking up a pair of Nvidia's to SLI. I don't see CF improving much in the near future and Nvidia has definitely worked on hitting the price for performance ratio. You just have to put up with a little heat and noise. Might be a good time to start watercooling and reduce the impact of that issue.


being that its ATI ill bet the MSRP is some where in the low 400 dollar range then the 50 dollar price increase from AIB's about a week after the launch then another 50 dollars due to the retailers increased price.. it will just be another 5870 fiasco if nvidia doesnt release a GF104 refresh around the same time..
 
drool worthy indeed.

But I usually like to keep whatever current card I have for a gen or two before an upgrade.

So here's hoping whatever comes after the 6870 is even better!
 
So far, it's looking good :cool:.

Crysis Bench:
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7441/crysiss.jpg
43.55FPS DX10 1920x1200, 4xAA

Unigine:
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6321/uniy.jpg
36.6FPS 1920x1200, 4xAA, Extreme tesselation

Vantage:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3225/vantaget.jpg
P24499

In Crysis, it looks to be about 35-40% faster than the 5870 and about 25-30% faster than the GTX 480. I'm excited :D.

All credit for finding these goes to Silverforce11 @ Anandtech: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=30366656&postcount=145


I could fucking care less about benchmarks. I don't play benchmarks, I game. let's see some actual gameplay info.
 
As far as the rumours goes. ATI has increased the die size a bit to get a bigger boost, since they are not going to 28nm the way they planned. This means that the amount of power/temp/noise is a bigger question mark.


Kangg@ The crysis one is an actual game.
 
Back
Top