6600 xt performing like old rx 580

you are right but for some reason my gpu is only on 8 gt/s, any answers? could this be it?
View attachment 627446View attachment 627448
might just be in idle. use gpuz and click here and grab a screen shot of that
1705359218299.png

what settings, what resolution, msaa on or off, fullscreen on or off
run the GPU stress test @ 1080p. doesn't need to be full screen.

in the bios, change this option from auto to x16 (or whatever option is available)
1705361977079.png

Last edited:
run the GPU stress test @ 1080p. doesn't need to be full screen.

in the bios, change this option from auto to x16 (or whatever option is available)
View attachment 627475
i put it to 16x but my settin name is pcie/gfx configuration and then i put the "pcie 16 speed" to gen 3 and then there was this other setting in the bios where i could force the speed of my pcie lane to gen 3 and so i turned that on and it didnt change so im not sure, added attachments below, sorry for sideways picture
1705363319689.png

Attachments

• 1705363271308.png
    1705363271308.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1705363390049.png
    1705363390049.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
i put it to 16x but my settin name is pcie/gfx configuration and then i put the "pcie 16 speed" to gen 3 and then there was this other setting in the bios where i could force the speed of my pcie lane to gen 3 and so i turned that on and it didnt change so im not sure, added attachments below, sorry for sideways pictureView attachment 627484
i had a bulb go off and remembered this:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pci-express-scaling/3.html
"The basis for this article is the fact that the RX 6600 XT, and 7 nm "Navi 23" silicon it's based on, physically only features a PCI-Express 4.0 x8 bus interface. The GPU only has pins for eight PCIe lanes. "
but if you read the article, it barely affect perf in most of their examples, at 1080 anyways.

From that article.
1705365087837.png

I don't believe the PCIe 3.0 x8 is the cause of the low FPS. If MSI afterburner is installed, it could be causing conflict with AMD adrenalin.

The 6600 isn't fast enough to saturate 3.0 x8 anyways, its fine. I'm guessing this is GTA V which is entirely single-core clockspeed bound especially at 1080p and is basically notorious for this. Usage does not need to indicate 100% on some resource monitor, thats not how games work.

If you really want to know, find Intels PresentMon and see which thing the frames are waiting on, my money is on CPU BUSY.

From that article.
View attachment 627502

I don't believe the PCIe 3.0 x8 is the cause of the low FPS. If MSI afterburner is installed, it could be causing conflict with AMD adrenalin.
someone had suggested earlier that i uninstall riva tuner because it might be messing with my game and with riva tuner i also uninstalled msi after burner and used amd adrenaline overlay, not much changed, still got 40-50 fps

If you really want to know, find Intels PresentMon and see which thing the frames are waiting on, my money is on CPU BUSY.
i got presentmon and i couldnt see cpu busy or any metrics like that, i had it on gpu focus and the gpu busy avg was about 7 ms, does this mean anything? (frametime 15ms)
1705370440360.png

According to Asrock Pinnacle Ridge cpu should be on bios version 1.00 and NOT recommended beyond that although that seems ridiculous.

Asrock bios.png

its 8x i know but that doesnt matter when similar builds of mine get an extra 60 fps so theres something wrong with the pc itself
yup. start with disabling all startup items that's not essential to the operation of windows and then test from there.

Reactions: travm
like this
no, stay where you are. lots of the b450 board dont have a large enough bios to have all ryzen chips, so they started cutting out support.
thats so odd, also does anyone know why when i turn on xmp profile and the speed is set to 3000 mhz my ram is only showing 2133mhz in task manager?

My advice at this point would be to get a 5000 series cpu like a 5600 or 5700. I ran into this situation a couple years ago on a B450 board when I tried to use a 2600X after the bios was updated by a previous owner to support 5000 series cpus. When I tried to revert the bios to an earlier version it bricked the board. Had to RMA the board and MSI fixed the bios with serial port programmer for me. I've since gotten my own programmer so I won't have to RMA another one should I run into this again.

i got presentmon and i couldnt see cpu busy or any metrics like that, i had it on gpu focus and the gpu busy avg was about 7 ms, does this mean anything? (frametime 15ms)View attachment 627539

Yes, this means the gpu is waiting all the time. The system is taking 3x longer to compute the frame than the gpu is taking to draw it. The gpu is therefore not your problem.

Are you modded? Try lowering try draw distance as that is the setting in game that hammers the cpu the hardest.

thats so odd, also does anyone know why when i turn on xmp profile and the speed is set to 3000 mhz my ram is only showing 2133mhz in task manager?
use CPUz to confirm ram speed, not task manager. Task manager is showing your ram as 2133mhz ram, because thats what it is. 3000mhz is an overclock speed.

Is it possible to get some performance info running the old card. Not just for shits and giggles, so we can get a baseline.
I honestly don't see a situation where you can avoid either an RMA or spending(money) your way out of this conundrum.

My advice at this point would be to get a 5000 series cpu like a 5600 or 5700. I ran into this situation a couple years ago on a B450 board when I tried to use a 2600X after the bios was updated by a previous owner to support 5000 series cpus. When I tried to revert the bios to an earlier version it bricked the board. Had to RMA the board and MSI fixed the bios with serial port programmer for me. I've since gotten my own programmer so I won't have to RMA another one should I run into this again.
this is out the window, im 16, no job and no money because i spent all of it on a new graphics card (it was christmas money). Options now are return the card to new egg or reinstall windows because i have seen some people fix it by doing that.

Is it possible to get some performance info running the old card. Not just for shits and giggles, so we can get a baseline.
I honestly don't see a situation where you can avoid either an RMA or spending(money) your way out of this conundrum.
yes i can do that no problem, i will edit this reply with the results

use CPUz to confirm ram speed, not task manager. Task manager is showing your ram as 2133mhz ram, because thats what it is. 3000mhz is an overclock speed.
1705450973672.png
well this just makes no sense, why is it only 1000??

A few nailed it - you are now cpu bound not gpu bound with that setup after the upgrade.

Back