6-Core Nehalem Coming to LGA 1366 This Year

makes me wonder if infact they will support future 8 core chips on the current 1366 boards. THEN i might keep the board when upgrading, but it would probly be atleast 2 years.

It takes the best water cooling setup money can buy to cool 4 cores. What are people going to need to cool 6 cores? :eek:

Granted I'm a n00b here, but I cannot believe that everyone running either a Q9550 or an i7-920 is actually literally watercooling them, overclock or not. I've read so many threads where the OP said, approximately, "...on air cooling." Otherwise why would there be new revisions to the TRUE (rev. C), the prolimatech coolers, et cetera.

Can I be that wrong? Someone with serious knowledge please step in and set me straight since I'm seriously considering an i7-920 but not water-cooling it.

thank you everyone

Try air cooling a D0 at 4.6 GHz and then put a good load on all 8 threads. Enough said.

I'm heading back to XS where they understand the heat issues that Core i7 has when pushed hard.

Being new I don't understand all the abbreviations yet: what is "XS" and where can I find it? thank you

Granted I'm a n00b here, but I cannot believe that everyone running either a Q9550 or an i7-920 is actually literally watercooling them, overclock or not. I've read so many threads where the OP said, approximately, "...on air cooling." Otherwise why would there be new revisions to the TRUE (rev. C), the prolimatech coolers, et cetera.

Can I be that wrong? Someone with serious knowledge please step in and set me straight since I'm seriously considering an i7-920 but not water-cooling it.

thank you everyone

Being new I don't understand all the abbreviations yet: what is "XS" and where can I find it? thank you
XS is www.xtremesystems.org, a Forum that specializes in beyond-air cooling.

i7 needs watercooling to achieve the truly monumental overclocks, but mid-4GHz can be done with any of the megacoolers that were previously mentioned, assuming that over-all case cooling is done right.

tarlog: I made those comments after hanging out at XtrermeSystems for too long. On that forum, if you don't have a radiator out of a bus they frown upon you. :D

You can get a lot of reliable MHz out of an air cooled Core i7-920, preferably one of the newer D0 stepping versions.

My fears of needing mega cooling for the upcoming 6 core CPUs are not justified. These new CPUs are built with 32nm technology so 6 cores don't seem to put out any more heat than 4 cores. Initial testing shows them overclocking even higher than the current Quad Core i7.

I highly recommend the Core i7-920 with the D0 stepping. A socket 1366 motherboard will allow you to upgrade in the future to 6 cores when the price is more reasonable.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBEJ

Look for the sSpec number, SLBEJ, on the outside of the box. If you are overclocking then buy the best air cooler you can afford. The cooler you can run them, the faster you will be able to reliably go. For 24/7 use, that's what I'd do.

If you want to keep up with the guys at XS then head down to the auto parts store and see if they have any bus radiators in stock. I'm not sure where you'd have to go to get some liquid nitrogen. :D

6 cores, who needs this??? they keep fucking our brains and make us think we NEED these...

oh well .. good luck

6 cores, who needs this??? they keep fucking our brains and make us think we NEED these...

oh well .. good luck

Some of us do more than just surf the internet. A few of us actually use our computers to do math!

tarlog: I made those comments after hanging out at XtrermeSystems for too long. On that forum, if you don't have a radiator out of a bus they frown upon you. :D

You can get a lot of reliable MHz out of an air cooled Core i7-920, preferably one of the newer D0 stepping versions.

My fears of needing mega cooling for the upcoming 6 core CPUs are not justified. These new CPUs are built with 32nm technology so 6 cores don't seem to put out any more heat than 4 cores. Initial testing shows them overclocking even higher than the current Quad Core i7.

I highly recommend the Core i7-920 with the D0 stepping. A socket 1366 motherboard will allow you to upgrade in the future to 6 cores when the price is more reasonable.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBEJ

Look for the sSpec number, SLBEJ, on the outside of the box. If you are overclocking then buy the best air cooler you can afford. The cooler you can run them, the faster you will be able to reliably go. For 24/7 use, that's what I'd do.

If you want to keep up with the guys at XS then head down to the auto parts store and see if they have any bus radiators in stock. I'm not sure where you'd have to go to get some liquid nitrogen. :D

Just to chime in.......
if you want to learn a little about liquid cooling from people that have smarts and live in the real world..............no bus radiators.........but once in a while some do use the Mo-Ra.....:D
Go to realredraider.com
Good guys, no nonsense,using normal watercooling parts.;)

oh well .. good luck

Probably around 3 years ago, I remember similar comments concerning quad cores, well we are now seeing dual cores falling behind in some games and of course quite a few apps. Few would NOW debate quad cores are the wiser choice when buying a new rig.

Are you suggesting PC's stay with quads and don't move forward? Have a think about it.

Sure there wont be much that benefits from a 6 core fore quiet some time, prob a few years.

thank you everyone

You can run 4 core CPUs on air, no doubt about it.
I have two Q6600s at 3.2 and 3.4 GHz respectively and I use air coolers.

I have a C0 i7 920 that runs day and night at 4.1 GHz that is watercooled. It really isn't because it HAS to be watercooled, it's more like ........because I can and do.
Watercooling is alot of fun to do, a bit expensive at the outset, but way fun once you get into it.

I can crank my CPU pretty high and not worry as much about heat.

The D0 revisions of the 920 do run cooler at overclock and a number of people have clocked them as high as mine on air with no problem.

I am anxious to see what this new 6 core is liike, and I'm sure I'll pick one up.:D

Probably around 3 years ago, I remember similar comments concerning quad cores, well we are now seeing dual cores falling behind in some games and of course quite a few apps. Few would NOW debate quad cores are the wiser choice when buying a new rig.

Are you suggesting PC's stay with quads and don't move forward? Have a think about it.

Sure there wont be much that benefits from a 6 core fore quiet some time, prob a few years.

The vast majority of daily-run applications (including games) mostly use ONE core.

While Office 2010 x64 is 64-bit, it's still mostly single-core (albeit high-efficient single-core).

Since I can't run Crysis efficiently, I had to dust off SupCom to get some DC action for my overcranked Celly....and SupCom is *how old*?

It's when you move beyond the ordinary (transcoding, VMs, etc.) that multicore really comes into use.

Sweet now that there are 6 cores maybe programs will start utilizing 4 cores now.

like they do now? you know that "operating system" program, it actually causes other programs tu use different cores while running at the same time! amazing isnt it.

like they do now? you know that "operating system" program, it actually causes other programs tu use different cores while running at the same time! amazing isnt it.

which for multitasking is great, but for all intents and purposes, 90% of programs today will run the same speed on a single core as a hex-core, assuming same architechture.

which for multitasking is great, but for all intents and purposes, 90% of programs today will run the same speed on a single core as a hex-core, assuming same architechture.

This post makes me sad :(

I'll use the extra cores fully and enjoy it. I already max out my quad core a good portion of the day. Do not tell me what is necessary for computing. This processor is clearly marketed at people who are enthusiasts and/or people who enjoy progress in technology. While increasing speed of the processor is good, most of what I need my quad core benefits more from more cores. The pricing and the naming should be the first indication of that. It takes time and hardware before software take full advantage of the existing hardware.

No! Don't forget multithreaded applications!

This post makes me sad :(

I'll use the extra cores fully and enjoy it. I already max out my quad core a good portion of the day. Do not tell me what is necessary for computing. This processor is clearly marketed at people who are enthusiasts and/or people who enjoy progress in technology. While increasing speed of the processor is good, most of what I need my quad core benefits more from more cores. The pricing and the naming should be the first indication of that. It takes time and hardware before software take full advantage of the existing hardware.

I know right? I guess we've got some more [F]rugal OCP action here nowadays. hehehe...

Last edited:
I can't remember where I read this article but basically it was explaining that Intel and AMD can't really make chips much faster in actual speed then they already have now, this is why they are releasing extra cores as apposed to faster cores. Notice how for the last 3 years or so we have been hovering around 3 to 3.4Ghz default speeds still? By all accounts we should be using 5GHz chips by now right? From what I remember it has something to do with the lazer technology that is used to make the chips. I might be a bit off, but I remember it clearly stating there is a tech limitation to making faster cores....

I can't remember where I read this article but basically it was explaining that Intel and AMD can't really make chips much faster in actual speed then they already have now, this is why they are releasing extra cores as apposed to faster cores. Notice how for the last 3 years or so we have been hovering around 3 to 3.4Ghz default speeds still? By all accounts we should be using 5GHz chips by now right? From what I remember it has something to do with the lazer technology that is used to make the chips. I might be a bit off, but I remember it clearly stating there is a tech limitation to making faster cores....

It has to do with the physical properties of the chips. Just as it's not a guarantee that an over clock will succeed at 4+ GHz, Intel and AMD can't do that reliably either.

Not yet. We have seen 2.4GHz and 3.0GHz ES chips however. I expect the lowest speed model to be some where around 2.8GHz

RAGE
2 things one LASER there is no Z >.> Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation do you see a Z any were in that

two its not laser based its Photolithography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photolithography

So is there a quick summary on what is known about these future processors?

For those of us on the fence between 1366 and 1156 for an upgrade this December, how much longer is the wait and what can we expect price wise? If a "930" will exist will it replace the 920 in price and performance, or are we going to spend $500 for an entry level 6-Core?

I know a lot of it is speculation, but if they are releasing this year we should know something by now right?

I dont think there is a tech limitation more of a power and heat issue.

Sad to hear that Gulftown isn't slated for until Q2 of next year.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/29/intels-desktop-roadmap-leaked-with-faster-i5-and-i7-introduct/

Here is the Intel's desktop roadmap leaked, with faster i5 and i7, introduction of i3

intelchart20091.jpg

This has probably been posted already, but here's a roadmap that I found a few months ago

EE4EEB91DD249507BF8C144654BBB0C6E4F5C2FE_large.jpg

In addition to sandy bridge they're working on haswell and larrabee.

when i get the money in about a month, i will be buying a new notebook pc featuring the clarksfield cpu, or the mobile corei7 in other words. performance is great, similar to a desktop corei7 cpu. i don't think it's expensive at all, just a new thing.

Does this mean that the x58 won't be able to support Gulftown? It looks like Gulftown is aligned with this HEDT platform from that chart.

I don't really see how anyone can be skeptical about six core CPU's. In my eyes the Mhz race died back in 2005 when the first dual core CPUs were released. Sure the supports isn't there NOW, but in the future you can bet your ass it will be. I remember when dual cores first came out alot of people were saying they were useless.

You don't have to buy a six core CPU if you don't need it, thats why companies offer different products.

Does this mean that the x58 won't be able to support Gulftown? It looks like Gulftown is aligned with this HEDT platform from that chart.
Gulftown is 100% compatable with X58, some boards may need a BIOS update (ok, most if not all at launch) but the boards will definitely work with gulftown.
You don't have to buy a six core CPU if you don't need it, thats why companies offer different products.
Wisdom.

Back