6-Core Nehalem Coming to LGA 1366 This Year

Don't forget they will be shrinking the node ;) Multitasking aside, the benefit of overclocking (as stated) with the current chip is the faster clock rate both on a single core and all cores for a heavy task like video rendering. With the new chip core to core performance it looks like they are substantially increasing the turbo boost which would take care of needing to overclock the whole chip so the overall lowered clock chip would still be just as fast using it for single threaded apps.

While having the benefit of using it for what it's made for on heavy tasks, the 6 cores with even a lower clock will be significantly faster.

Westmere is a nice, I can't wait for Ivy Bridge. :D

Last edited:
6 cores is great for the marketing department but for enthusiasts that are overclocking, there won't be any benefit going to 6 cores.
It's still going to come down to the application of each system, though.

I apologize for offending people here with my previous comments.

I'm sure 6 cores will be wonderful but here's the problem. When overclocking on air, the thermal limit of a Core i7-920 is about 4.0 to 4.2 GHz. If you increase the number of cores by 50% then you are going to have to significantly reduce your overclock to stay within the thermal limits.

The best heatsink and fan can only take so much heat out of a CPU. A 6 core CPU might max out at 3.2 GHz on air. You have extra cores and extra threads now but there's no way you'll be able to run them as fast as you can run a Core i7-920 CPU. When running a multi threaded app, I don't think there is going to be any difference in performance between a well clocked 4 core CPU or a well clocked 6 core CPU due to heat constraints. 6 cores is great for the marketing department but for enthusiasts that are overclocking, there won't be any benefit going to 6 cores.

6 cores will be 32nm, not 45nm like the current i7's

Umm... when was the last time you actually upgraded a cpu and kept the same motherboard?

I've done it quite a few times...as I'm sure most people here have also

I don't buy a new board for every upgrade, but then I upgrade about every six months, not every 3 years..so the current socket is still relevant .

I'm sure 6 cores will be wonderful but here's the problem. When overclocking on air, the thermal limit of a Core i7-920 is about 4.0 to 4.2 GHz. If you increase the number of cores by 50% then you are going to have to significantly reduce your overclock to stay within the thermal limits.

The best heatsink and fan can only take so much heat out of a CPU. A 6 core CPU might max out at 3.2 GHz on air. You have extra cores and extra threads now but there's no way you'll be able to run them as fast as you can run a Core i7-920 CPU. When running a multi threaded app, I don't think there is going to be any difference in performance between a well clocked 4 core CPU or a well clocked 6 core CPU due to heat constraints. 6 cores is great for the marketing department but for enthusiasts that are overclocking, there won't be any benefit going to 6 cores.
1: turbo mode does wonders for that exact problem.
2: die shrink will help quite a bit.

And when the bloomfields leave the $266/$550 price brackets, they'll be replaced by gulftowns.
Whats your point? s1366 is never* going to be an exclusively >$1k market.
*within the known timeframe, aka through sandy bridge and barring a global collapse or natural disaster

I can't believe that notion is still floating around, 'specially from people that read this news article... All the whining over i7/x58's supposedly decreasing value was pinned on the remote possibility of Gulftown not working on current mobos, and when it's announced it'll work people still find a way to bitch about pricing or instead resort to asking what the need for 6 cores is... Guess I'm just jaded or something. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can't believe that notion is still floating around, 'specially from people that read this news article... All the whining over i7/x58's supposedly decreasing value was pinned on the remote possibility of Gulftown not working on current mobos, and when it's announced it'll work people still find a way to bitch about pricing or instead resort to asking what the need for 6 cores is... Guess I'm just jaded or something. :rolleyes:

No, you aren't.

The truth of the matter is, for many here and on the interwebs, Intel is the most evil corporation in the computing market. Now, I'm not sure if this is because of the Netburst days, or because AMD is the underdog, but the reason is moot.

IMO, it's some sort of residual effect from the Athlon64 days, where AMD, the beaten down, CPU manufacturer of the "people" :rolleyes: , released processors that were performance leaders and were relatively cheap ... (oh , when I say cheap, I'm excluding the $1000+ FX line, and I'm also excluding the fact that AMD had 3 different pin configurations in the market @ one time, 940,939,754).

Either many here are too young to remember, or they have short memories.

Impulse, you have to remember AMD is the CPU manufacturer of the "people", Intel is the evil corporation, get it? :p

Impulse, you have to remember AMD is the CPU manufacturer of the "people", Intel is the evil corporation, get it? :p

Got it! Heh, I actually got burned somewhat by AMD's socket shifting during those days... I was gonna build a s754 rig to replace my aging P3 system, but I held off for s939 because s754 seemed doomed... I should've built the s754 right right away or held off even longer for the PCI-E s939 mobos that came out like two-three months later... 'Least my s939 AGP mobo was a decent OC'er, the first batch were all duds lacking AGP/PCI locks IIRC... VIA chipset no less!

Personally I think we've been getting more value than ever with today's crop of processors... And s775 probably lasted as long as any other socket before it too. We were definitely seeing better value on the processor side 2-3 years ago with the C2D line than we were seeing with GPUs (8800 GTS 320MB for $300+? yay...). I admit that trying to support s1336 and s1156 simultaneously is a little flaky, but from all impressions we've gotten so far there's actually gonna be far more overlap between both than anyone would otherwise expect...

I think Intel's to be commended for that, they could easily be pushing s1336 higher up the price chain or have held it off longer, but they're not letting up on the competition these days... Hell, they even managed to wrangle SLI licenses from NV even if it was to their own benefit, the consumer came out ahead there too (somehow that's barely ever mentioned in the same breath as x58 anymore, guess not that many people pondering an i7/x58 combo suffered w/NV's 6xxi chipsets).

...Hell, they even managed to wrangle SLI licenses from NV even if it was to their own benefit, the consumer came out ahead there too (somehow that's barely ever mentioned in the same breath as x58 anymore, guess not that many people pondering an i7/x58 combo suffered w/NV's 6xxi chipsets).
I never even considered nV chipsets when looking at s775 boards. But, Im not chomping at the bit for SLI either. ;)

I am not sure if you were supporting what I said or opposing what I said in the last post. I think supporting, which is always cool.

I never even considered nV chipsets when looking at s775 boards. But, Im not chomping at the bit for SLI either. ;)

I am not sure if you were supporting what I said or opposing what I said in the last post. I think supporting, which is always cool.

Yeah if you don't need SLI, I'd say look elsewhere. The Intel chipsets are not only better performers for the most part, boards built on them tend to be more reliable and less quirky.

Try air cooling a D0 at 4.6 GHz and then put a good load on all 8 threads. Enough said.

I'm heading back to XS where they understand the heat issues that Core i7 has when pushed hard.

Lol I don't know what you think you expect. If you're running a D0 920 for example at 4.6Ghz that's almost a 2Ghz past stock overclock. Of course it's going to run hot. Any processor is going to run hot like that when you push it that far past it's manufactured fabrication spec. It's just that you don't notice it because most other processors aren't capable of running stable at those speeds without extreme cooling. I'd say if anything it runs cool in comparison when you can run that speed on good watercooling when other processors would need LN2.

The main problem is that new 6-core Gulftown CPU will be XE only, so it's not difficult to guess its price.

It is ;)
Say what?
If you mean socket 1336, I understand...if not, I would love to se your sorce.
He means extreme edition and its just as false as the people who said bloomfield would be $1k+ when we first saw specs on it. Not. Gonna. Happen.

And yes, gulftown is a 32nm 6-core 12-thread s1366 monster.

He means extreme edition and its just as false as the people who said bloomfield would be $1k+ when we first saw specs on it. Not. Gonna. Happen.

And yes, gulftown is a 32nm 6-core 12-thread s1366 monster.

Doubt it too....byt at least we found his source:

Some times no news is better than these rumor sites....scratch that...no news is ALWAYS better than rumor sites.

Doubt it too....byt at least we found his source:

Some times no news is better than these rumor sites....scratch that...no news is ALWAYS better than rumor sites.

Maybe you'd like to give us an estimate on how intel is going to price their 1366 platform?

I wouldn't be surprised if the cheapest chips you could get on 1366 in the future would be at least $500 for the lowest iteration, otherwise theres going to be crossover with the triple-lineup of the 1156. Unless 1156 platform is going to be filled with sub-$100 chips (hint: it won't)

The main problem is that new 6-core Gulftown CPU will be XE only, so it's not difficult to guess its price.

That's so far beyond complete speculation that it's not even funny. Fudzilla? Seriously? Even if it were to debut exclusively as an XE edition, it's not gonna stay like that.

Maybe you'd like to give us an estimate on how intel is going to price their 1366 platform?

I wouldn't be surprised if the cheapest chips you could get on 1366 in the future would be at least $500 for the lowest iteration, otherwise theres going to be crossover with the triple-lineup of the 1156. Unless 1156 platform is going to be filled with sub-$100 chips (hint: it won't)

Eventually there'll be sub-$100 1156 parts and eventually there'll be plenty of crossover. From what I've seen there's still at 'least one sub-$500 1336 part on the roadmap (same as now) but even if they raise those prices, no one that's currently running an i7 has any incentive to upgrade to anything but Gulftown so the price of future non-Gulftown parts (or the canning of current i7 models) is kind of irrelevant.

Last edited:

Jesus christ.
For the (not even close to) last time: s1156 and s1366 will co-exist at the $266 and $540 price points.

6?! I thought they would jump from 4 to 8cores :(

Just because most ppl don't have any use for 6 core processors, doesn't mean all don't. Some ppl do, video editing, 3d studio, etc will see a benefit from 6 cores.

I also used to whine about the multi core support since the only thing I do that utilizes the 4 cores is video encoding, and used to say (and still) that saving those few minutes by using a quad core CPU is not that big deal at least for me since I only do it like once a week.

after I recently used a video editing software (MAGIX Video Pro) that can utilize all the 4 cores, I finally understood that 6, 8, even 12 cores will be a good idea even in the time being, it kept torturing all of the 4 cores the entire time.

I am unenthused. 6 cores... i cant even stress my i7 now... plus I am OCed to 4GHz.

I cant immagine these 6 cores will OC that good. And even if they do, price:performance ratio... my 920 was 280$.

I had a q6600, then went for the higher clocks of a E6850, and jesus did it show... More cores are good! i wasnt about to upgrade back to a Q6600 or any other s775 CPU so i went i7. I dont regret it one bit.

I am unenthused. 6 cores... i cant even stress my i7 now... plus I am OCed to 4GHz.

I cant immagine these 6 cores will OC that good. And even if they do, price:performance ratio... my 920 was 280$.

Well maybe (not sure just saying maybe) there will be a cheap hex-core, like the i7 920, and more expensive versions like the core i7 950/975. Have to wait n see.

Those days are long gone. Architectures change so much anymore, RAM changes, so many variables and so much changes.

on that note, i have no intention of upgrading this system. i will use it for as long as its useful and then buy a new setup. the cost of upgrading can go towards a new system.

I suspect that many enthusiasts keep their machines for a maximum of a year or two. At that point it is unlikely that they'll keep the same motherboard when upgrading. I think most of the time enthusiasts do CPU upgrades it is to try difference CPUs to find the best overclocker.

Arma2 will use all 4 cores plus the 4 HT cores FYI.

Arma2 will use all 4 cores plus the 4 HT cores FYI.

Well Thats fine and all... I still think 4 Cores @ 4GHz will be faster than 6 Cores at 2.66Ghz (or w/e they will clock it at)

Now, if the 6 core can get up to 4Ghz too... well then sure it will be better than the 4 cores.

Why would you compare an OC'd system to a stock one? Surely there'll be at 'least some OC headroom on Gulftown... 'Specially with all the newer Turbo modes and stuff they're doing right now where two out of four cores can be shut down and the remaining two cores clocked higher for programs that aren't very multi-threaded, etc; I'd expect them to advance that even further by the time Gulftown is out. If they keep advancing that kinda feature any and all arguments against additional cores (beyond cost) are gonna be moot imo.

I'm fully expecting 4.5Ghz on the same cooling and percentage of chips as we see bloomfields hitting 4.0Ghz. 32nm will bring some nice benefits. Probably 5Ghz being equivalent to 4Ghz e8x00 for the clarkdales.

Back