5970 - $599

Gagnon

Weaksauce
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/6810/

ATI Radeon HD 5970 Graphics Card Will Cost $599.99 Shipped!
Many of our readers have been curious about the price tag that will be on the upcoming ATI Radeon HD 5970 graphics card, but that question was answered over the weekend. ZipZoomFly seems to have jumped the gun and published pricing information on the HIS H597F1GDG Radeon HD 5970 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card. It looks like $599.99 is what you will need to hand over to own one of the dual-GPU powered single slot graphics cards. NVIDIA's GT300 powered Fermi graphics card are expected to arrive in Q1 of next year, so the Radeon HD 5970 will be the fastest graphics card around! The card appears to have 2GB of GDDR5 memory and should be launching this week if the rumors are true.

WOW FUCK THAT! I'm glad I didn't hold off on my 5870 to get this card. That's a lot more money than I'd want to pay.

That's $599 before the standard 25% "we've got only a few in stock and there's always someone out there willing to pay whatever we feel like charging" price increase too.

Like i said before, everyone is totally unrealistic about price, as they were when the 5870 was rumored at $299. At this point, $599 is 75% of the cost of 2 5870's, and I'm sure you get more than 75% of the performance.

Like i said before, everyone is totally unrealistic about price, as they were when the 5870 was rumored at $299. At this point, $599 is 75% of the cost of 2 5870's, and I'm sure you get more than 75% of the performance.

well....its like paying $299 for 2 5870s....o wait! :rolleyes:

Both the 4870x2 and GTX 295 were about the same price when first released. LOL at those who deluded themselves into believing the 5970 would be any cheaper.

i hope the yields are high enough that buyers can pick up two instead of only one like the 5870 launch.

$599 is just about exactly on par with price/performance of two 5870s. Two 5870's in Crossfire will likely perform around 20% faster (and OC a good amount higher) than a 5970.

Still, this card is going to be kicking out heat at load like there's no tomorrow... Also, you'll need a PSU with a very strong rail to support it.

$599 is just about exactly on par with price/performance of two 5870s. Two 5870's in Crossfire will likely perform around 20% faster (and OC a good amount higher) than a 5970.

Still, this card is going to be kicking out heat at load like there's no tomorrow... Also, you'll need a PSU with a very strong rail to support it.

Not if the 725/1010 clocks are to be believed; 5870 CF will eat it alive performancewise; and do you think you will get a good overclock on the X2?

Not if the 725/1010 clocks are to be believed; 5870 CF will eat it alive performancewise; and do you think you will get a good overclock on the X2?

That was my point :) To reverse my clauses, a 5970 will be about 20% slower than 5870 CF.

Coming from having used both 2x 4870 in CF and a 4870 X2, I'm relatively sure the OC on a 5970 will be very limited -- even more so than on 4870 X2 since the power requirement will be so high at load.

If the 5950 is clocked similar to the 5850 and priced around $450, IMO it will give this 5970 some competition.

Single slot people will eat this one up. I predict price will go higher than $599 as supply is low and demand is way high.

And you wonder why people that are gaming, like the MW2 crowd, are switching to consoles. Clearly, the video card manufacturers and the game developers are not talking. The cost of these top of the line Vid cards continues to be amazing. But, I could never game without a mouse on an First Person Shooter.

Last edited:
Why are they calling it a 5970 instead of 5870x2? Is it because ATI wants simple card names that make sense, that's intuative to users when they are buying. Rather than Nvidia that wants to confuse the fuck out of people by constantly changing names and suffixes where one year they mean one thing and another year something completely different?

I'd like to see this thing at $549, but $599 isn't abysmal.

Clearly, the video card manufacturers and the game developers are not talking. The cost of these top of the line Vid cards continues to be amazing.
High end graphics cards have always been expensive. Always. Ten years ago, you'd pair two Voodoo 2s together and spend $500-600 to do it. The U.S. dollar fared quite a bit better back then as well, so $600 was really quite a chunk of change.

Publishers are pushing harder on consoles because they can move 10 to 20 times as many units as they can on the PC. It's not due to rising hardware costs, since hardware costs aren't rising.

Keep whatever you have.
Wait until nvidia releases their next card. If it's any good, ATI and nvidia will duke it out over price and we'll see the retail market respond accordingly, just like it has over the last 6 months.:D

Me, I never can wait...........last time around I had two 4870s, then two 4870 X2s, then two GTX 285s...............:eek:

For now I am hooked on Eyefinity, so I'll be staying with what I have......unless nvidia comes out with "nFinity";)

Wonder how many DVI/Display ports it will have. I know it supports six monitors but it would be great if this thing had 3 DVIs.

And you wonder why people that are gaming, like the MW2 crowd, are switching to consoles. Clearly, the video card manufacturers and the game developers are not talking. The cost of these top of the line Vid cards continues to be amazing. But, I could never game without a mouse on an First Person Shooter.

You can buy a videocard for less than $100 that will play any game out right now and probably for a year or two. There is no real price limitation in terms of being able to play the games on a PC. If you think $600 for a videocard is too expensive then buy a cheaper card.

Do you complain about the cost of driving because Ferrari's are too expensive?

I mean the GPU in the xbox360 is some relic from 2005 that at best might be equivalent to a cut down version of a Radeon 2900. Spend $25 on a used videocard on eBay and then run it at 1280x720 on your TV and you too can have the console experience without breaking the bank.

i thought it was gonna cost $649. $599 sounds about right to me considering the lower clock speeds. Of course I'm going to try to OC it though. :D
PS Is it possible to put in 3x 5970 for Sextuple-Fire??

No thanks for that price. I am happy with my single 5870 and gaming Eyefinity with 3 - 24" monitors in Portrait mode of 3600x1920res. Was looking for a little more horsepower for my main game WoW, but afraid of the dual GPU thing and most MMO's not liking Crossfire or SLI, like they don't recognize the 2nd GPU in WoW ? So I think a 5970 will be a down grade in WoW compared to my 5870 ?

Wonder how many DVI/Display ports it will have. I know it supports six monitors but it would be great if this thing had 3 DVIs.

You are thinking of a different VideoCard. This new 5970 is just like the other 5800 series, only 3 monitors at most.

There is a special card from AMD named the Eyefinity-6 due out sometime, that supports six monitors, it is based off a single 5870 GPU, but with 2gb memory.

Was looking for a little more horsepower for my main game WoW, but afraid of the dual GPU thing and most MMO's not liking Crossfire or SLI, like they don't recognize the 2nd GPU in WoW ? So I think a 5970 will be a down grade in WoW compared to my 5870 ?

WoW does indeed take advantage of Crossfire. It's a bit pickier about SLI but from what I understand people have got that to work as well. I've verified crossfire functionality on both my 4850 crossfire setup as well as my friend's 4870x2.

The exception with WoW is that if you run the game in windowed mode (including "Windowed Maximized", which is visually identical to "Fullscreen") you will be limited to one GPU. Many with multiple monitors do this so that they can seamlessly move their mouse from one screen to another without ever alt-tabbing out of the game. This will not work with multi-GPU however, you must run the game in Fullscreen.

You can buy a videocard for less than $100 that will play any game out right now and probably for a year or two. There is no real price limitation in terms of being able to play the games on a PC. If you think $600 for a videocard is too expensive then buy a cheaper card.

Do you complain about the cost of driving because Ferrari's are too expensive?

I mean the GPU in the xbox360 is some relic from 2005 that at best might be equivalent to a cut down version of a Radeon 2900. Spend $25 on a used videocard on eBay and then run it at 1280x720 on your TV and you too can have the console experience without breaking the bank.

QFT. Also many X360 games run at lower than 1280x720, at resolutions such as 1024x576 and whatnot.

Last edited:

As a watercool nut overclocking is my biggest concern so looking around I found this: AMD is saying it can be overclocked like crazy on stock cooling.

For people wondering why the downclock stock speeds, fyi it was only way to get around PCI-e 300w compliance.

2qrzktd.jpg

2ilqn6.jpg

I guess it's reasonable compared to the price of the 5870's... But then again, I disagree with the MSRP of the 5870's...

As a watercool nut overclocking is my biggest concern so looking around I found this: AMD is saying it can be overclocked like crazy on stock cooling.

For people wondering why the downclock stock speeds, fyi it was only way to get around PCI-e 300w compliance.

2qrzktd.jpg

2ilqn6.jpg

Makes sense to do that. If this card can reach 1GHz on air, it will be an absolute monster.

Makes sense to do that. If this card can reach 1GHz on air, it will be an absolute monster.

There is a software limitation currently on the 5870.
I have mine running at 900 MHz/1275MHz and they run fine............I think when ATI removes this barrier the 5870 will easily go over 1 GHz.

With 50% fan cycle my maximum temperatures are 63C.:D

Any news of the 5890 or 5990?

Most refreshes come out a good 6+ months after the original, so I wouldn't expect the 5970 (aka 5870 refresh) to come out until like March or so, just in time to compete with nVidia's new card.

And there will NOT be a refreshed x2 card I highly doubt. I mean the 3870X2 and 4870X2 never had refreshes, so I doubt the 5970 will.

WoW does indeed take advantage of Crossfire. It's a bit pickier about SLI but from what I understand people have got that to work as well. I've verified crossfire functionality on both my 4850 crossfire setup as well as my friend's 4870x2.

The exception with WoW is that if you run the game in windowed mode (including "Windowed Maximized", which is visually identical to "Fullscreen") you will be limited to one GPU. Many with multiple monitors do this so that they can seamlessly move their mouse from one screen to another without ever alt-tabbing out of the game. This will not work with multi-GPU however, you must run the game in Fullscreen.

Thanks for the info, I am really dying to see this card benched in WoW. I think Anandtech is the only site that tests WoW. Playing the game at Ultra settings with 8xMulstisample across 3 - 24" monitors at 5760x1200res can get pretty demanding, and even my system in sig chugs with the game like that, I have to scale back the AA to 2x to get butter smooth gameplay. So wondering if the 5970 would really smooth it out, and allow the 8X to work ?

There is a software limitation currently on the 5870.
I have mine running at 900 MHz/1275MHz and they run fine............I think when ATI removes this barrier the 5870 will easily go over 1 GHz.

With 50% fan cycle my maximum temperatures are 63C.:D

Well people are using different software to OC their cards. MSI or ASUS. I've seen many 5870s reach 1GHz and in some cases 1.05GHz.

Yup I can verify that the XFX 5870 gets to 1Ghz pretty easily if you overvolt it. It ran 975/1300 24/7 and Furmark stable. Got a bit noisy sometimes when it was under 100% stress though. You can hear the fans kick in at around 44% speed.

Question: Will you be able to pair a 5870 Eyefinity-6 edition with a 5970?

Back