5970 - $599

And you wonder why people that are gaming, like the MW2 crowd, are switching to consoles. Clearly, the video card manufacturers and the game developers are not talking. The cost of these top of the line Vid cards continues to be amazing. But, I could never game without a mouse on an First Person Shooter.

lol either your to young or you were to poor back in the day when we were having to spend a 500-600 dollars for low end gfx cards.. seriously people wake up and smell the coffee.. hardware is so much cheaper now then it was back in the day.. just admit it you ATI spoiled you by creating a price war with the 3k and 4k series against Nvidia.. quit your crying.. because we all know the prices will drop if nvidia ever releases their GT300 before the end of the decade..

And you wonder why people that are gaming, like the MW2 crowd, are switching to consoles. Clearly, the video card manufacturers and the game developers are not talking. The cost of these top of the line Vid cards continues to be amazing. But, I could never game without a mouse on an First Person Shooter.

People are switching to consoles because the top of the line dual gpu card costs what people expected :confused:

Now is the perfect time for pc gaming as very competitive gfx cards are also very cheap.

I don't get why people can't do both - but all we hear about is people switching to consoles, personally i think they are retards.

I don't get why people can't do both - but all we hear about is people switching to consoles, personally i think they are retards.

I think you're on to something... :p

But seriously, most people have switched because the games are console-centric, the systems cost as much as a 5850 by itself, and it's just pop the game in and go. Sheeple like cheap and simple, and publishers are all "ZOMG, piracy!", so there you go.

That is a lot of money for a card. Personally, I would wait 6 months and buy it at a fraction of the release price.

MW2 will run perfectly fine with a $150 card. Manufacturers and devs do talk to one another, that's where TWIMTBP comes from as well as that being the reason Dirt 2 isn't released yet for PC, it's getting DX11 treatment. Though it would be nice if things like that happened more often.

Oh, and the card is priced exactly where a card of it's calibur have been priced at for years now.

That is a lot of money for a card. Personally, I would wait 6 months and buy it at a fraction of the release price.

Sure it's one card, but it's hard not to look at this product and think that I'm not actually buying two video cards in one box. It's almost as if I'm buying two 5870s for $299.50 each which is a damn good deal. I'm waiting for this card to come out because if there aren't any significant disadvantages compared to 2x5870 (aside from card length) it's clearly a better deal, not to mention only having to buy one waterblock instead of two...

While you're thinking it's a lot of money for a card, I think it's pretty cheap.

Wow probably gonna wait awhile till the price drops or see what nvidia has to offer.

So do you think that the 5970 will be a little easier to get on release because people will hesitate to drop $600 on it? If so that would be good news for me!

Until TSMC gets it's 40nm process woes straightened out, I wouln't expect an abundant supply of any 58xx or 59xx cards.

I would be really surprised if 5970 can clock anywhere over 900 on the cores being stable and producing acceptable heat. There's a reason these cards are downclocked to 725. Maybe with some good water cooling... ;)

The 4870 X2 was marketed as being an "overclocker" as well, but in my experience the three cards I dealt with got no where close to overclocking as well as 2 seperate 4870s.

Oh, and the card is priced exactly where a card of it's calibur have been priced at for years now.
Yup. I've been expecting this price for months and I'm glad to see the supply shortages didn't drive the price higher.

Hey I have a question. I have two monitors, but if Eyefinity proves itself to me, which I'm sure it would, I would love to play WoW across 3 monitors. My question is, both my monitors have different resolutions. I have an:

Primary monitor: Asus VH236 23" LCD - 1920x1080
Secondary monitor: Samsung 226BW 1680x1050

Would Eyefinity scale itself correctly in WoW across 3 monitors of different resolutions?

Hey I have a question. I have two monitors, but if Eyefinity proves itself to me, which I'm sure it would, I would love to play WoW across 3 monitors. My question is, both my monitors have different resolutions. I have an:

Primary monitor: Asus VH236 23" LCD - 1920x1080
Secondary monitor: Samsung 226BW 1680x1050

Would Eyefinity scale itself correctly in WoW across 3 monitors of different resolutions?
Eyefinity needs the same res from all three monitors.

Straight conversion from USD $ to GBP £ works out as £350ish with tax thats about £410...well the 5870s are selling for £340 right now. Something tells me we'll get price raped as usual and this card will be about £550 or something daft.

*edit*

Ugh compare the ratio of US cards to UK cards with RRP of $380 compared to £300 and use the same ratio that puts the 5970 at £470

Despite a $1 to £0.6 exchange rate, gotta laugh.

Last edited:
Show me were and I will pay it. I paid about the same for my GX295. I need a larger monitor to justify the cost at this point though. Great excuse to buy a 32" or larger. Its great not be broke :)

Straight conversion from USD $ to GBP £ works out as £350ish with tax thats about £410...well the 5870s are selling for £340 right now. Something tells me we'll get price raped as usual and this card will be about £550 or something daft.

*edit*

Ugh compare the ratio of US cards to UK cards with RRP of $380 compared to £300 and use the same ratio that puts the 5970 at £470

Despite a $1 to £0.6 exchange rate, gotta laugh.

I guess I shouldn't complain about the slightly higher prices we Canadians pay, wow.

Ya'll know what's really funny? Going back and looking at how many people thought the 5870 was going to be 299 and the 5970 (5870x2 then) would be 499.

Considering that my 5870 still hasnt shipped, if i can find an xfx 5970 i'll be picking one up and watercooling it, then selling my 3 285s while they still have some ebay value left in them :)

Thanks for the info, I am really dying to see this card benched in WoW. I think Anandtech is the only site that tests WoW. Playing the game at Ultra settings with 8xMulstisample across 3 - 24" monitors at 5760x1200res can get pretty demanding, and even my system in sig chugs with the game like that, I have to scale back the AA to 2x to get butter smooth gameplay. So wondering if the 5970 would really smooth it out, and allow the 8X to work ?

What AA method are you using, Box? If so, you should try Edge-Detect. 4x CFAA (Edge-Detect Custom Filter) is really like 12x AA but should run better than 8x Box. It uses your stream processors for the custom AA filter instead of adding a lot of extra load onto your videocards memory subsystem. That is a huge deal for me since my 4850's only have 512mb ram but at your resolution it would probably come into play with 1gb VRam also. Check out the article about it, it's a good read:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/07/20/amds_ati_radeon_hd_4800_series_custom_filtering_aa/1

What AA method are you using, Box? If so, you should try Edge-Detect. 4x CFAA (Edge-Detect Custom Filter) is really like 12x AA but should run better than 8x Box. It uses your stream processors for the custom AA filter instead of adding a lot of extra load onto your videocards memory subsystem. That is a huge deal for me since my 4850's only have 512mb ram but at your resolution it would probably come into play with 1gb VRam also. Check out the article about it, it's a good read:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/07/20/amds_ati_radeon_hd_4800_series_custom_filtering_aa/1

Thank you for the info, yes I am running at Box...been using nVidia for my last few cards before this 5870, I had a the GTX-280, then 8800GTX, then 6800Ultra, before my last ATI card was a X1800XT, so I was not familiar with ATI's AA filters.

I will test out the Edge filter vs Box tonight, and may can crank back up the AA again ?

Thx that article was really informative.
I'll be sure to try out 24x CFAA when I get my 5970!

i hope the yields are high enough that buyers can pick up two instead of only one like the 5870 launch.

There was a review of a guy running crysis with four 5870s on youtube. FPS still dipped in the low 30s. Seeng that a 5970 will be slower...I don't know how this is going to pan out. I'm thinking 5870 CF is probably the way to go.

it usually takes a month after ati releases a dual gpu card before proper crossfire x support shows up. i'm willing to wait because it will definitely come.

it usually takes a month after ati releases a dual gpu card before proper crossfire x support shows up. i'm willing to wait because it will definitely come.

Early rumors are that the 9.12's are the warp speed drivers coming for the 5800 series, they are rumored to really open up these cards and make the performance noticeably faster.

Ya'll know what's really funny? Going back and looking at how many people thought the 5870 was going to be 299 and the 5970 (5870x2 then) would be 499.

I know rite? What about the guy that thought and 8 and a 10 pin connector was coming? Oh wait see sig haha:p

Early rumors are that the 9.12's are the warp speed drivers coming for the 5800 series, they are rumored to really open up these cards and make the performance noticeably faster.

Man you make it sound like these cards are getting dyno tuned. :cool:

If the recent [H] NFS Shift performance review is any indication, be prepared to be blown away with these drivers.

I know rite? What about the guy that thought and 8 and a 10 pin connector was coming? Oh wait see sig haha:p

/sigh, I said they COULD put TEN (qty) 8 pin connectors on it if they wanted to, not will put a 10 pin and an 8 pin there is no such thing as a PCI-E 10 pin connector. You fail pretty hard at reading.

my god.. 600 dollars, and i thought 400 dollars was insane for new cards ...just a few years back.

/sigh, I said they COULD put TEN (qty) 8 pin connectors on it if they wanted to, not will put a 10 pin and an 8 pin there is no such thing as a PCI-E 10 pin connector. You fail pretty hard at reading.

Ok Mr. Greenspan nice cover up but you got exposed. You fail at comprehending PCI-e compliancy proof is in sig by giving me a wtf answer to why they couldn't go over 300 w for Fermyx2.

How many years has the ultra been out though? One 8800 Ultra can still play today's games. I'd say you got your money's worth if you got that card, even if it was at launch price.

Ok Mr. Greenspan nice cover up but you got exposed. You fail at comprehending PCI-e compliancy proof is in sig by giving me a wtf answer to why they couldn't go over 300 w for Fermyx2.

Dear god will you get it through your head. There is no total power draw requirement for power supplied to a PCI-E device to be compliant. There is only a limitation on the amount of power the device can pull through the PCI-E slot. For a PCI-E 2.0 slot that limit is 150W.

The whole post is reposted below for accuracy.
No insider just speculating. If it has more transistors than a 5870x2 which is rumored to be near 300w then its logical to assume it wont make restrictions for pci-e.

Umm... that's simply not true. The power doesn't pass through the PCI-E slot so it doesn't matter. There is nothing stopping Nvidia or ATI from putting 10- 8 pin power connectors.

What DOES matter is heat. It is harder (not impossible) to put out a card with a higher TDP.

How many years has the ultra been out though? One 8800 Ultra can still play today's games. I'd say you got your money's worth if you got that card, even if it was at launch price.

I payed 600$ for my graphics cards combined about 2 years ago. I've gotten a hell of a lot more play out of them than I have the Wii or Xbox 360 combined.

Dear god will you get it through your head. There is no total power draw requirement for power supplied to a PCI-E device to be compliant. There is only a limitation on the amount of power the device can pull through the PCI-E slot. For a PCI-E 2.0 slot that limit is 150W.

The whole post is reposted below for accuracy.

Holy mother of god...quadruple facepalm is all I'm saying. Thanks for the entertainment and prolonging the sig. Oh you still don't get it do you? haha I won't tell let everyone laugh. You want a hint: "its not the accuracy of your response" your reply has nothing to do with what I said in original post.

On topic: Checking out Frys later today. They like to release early.

Not if the 725/1010 clocks are to be believed; 5870 CF will eat it alive performancewise; and do you think you will get a good overclock on the X2?

I seriosly doubt that 5970 will be as crappy of an overclocker as the HD 4870x2 was. I think that 5970 should have no trouble hitting 850 on core but to get the near 1Ghz clock speeds that many 5870s are hitting is going to require watercooling.

This card is solely aimed at the "MAX CRYSIS 60FPS 2560x1600" crowd. Besides Crysis and GTA IV I don't think even my 8800 Ultra had trouble playing any other game maxed with acceptable fps.

Back