• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 gray screen crash.

@Frobot

wow dude. really .. honestly?

If you would have gone thru my history and read my posts, especially the last few dozen, you would have seen where I commented that I've never crashed in XP. And, I never have. But, I don't run XP, I run a $200 dollar copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Not only did I disclose the card locked up exactly the way I said it did, I answered 4 questions OPENLY on the auction answering questions about the lockups.

So since you are going to assume all over me and expect the worst from me, I guess you can assume the price I sold it for? So how much did it sell for? Well it was no reserve auction with free shipping and it sold for $280 dollars.

And Frobot, if it's ok with you .... I would like to add that the card was unregistered and that not only does the new owner get the double life time warranty, they got a free code for the game Dirt 2.

Merry %@#%@D@ X-mas Frobot, we just love people like you here on the forums
 
@West

I sent out all the info I had in a pdf I made, it took a while but there were over ( edit: 122,000 odd postings ), across 38 threads, ones that I could find at least. I even embedded about a dozen screen shots into the pdf, the dreaded "gray vertical line" frozen screen.

I could not separate the amount of people with the problem from the people that just commented so the number is much lower that 122,000 people. Another thing I could not figure out is how to arrive at total number of unique names that would even make the number lower yet again.

But, it should be noted not everyone will post about their "gray vertical line" crashes, so one can assume the number is actually much higher.

I sent the pdf out to http://consumerist.com/ as well as cnet, nbc, abc, cbs.

I will spend the afternoon making another email list to send the pdf out to. I agree, engadget and gizmondo would make good places to send this out to.

Since everyone that could do something for the community is seemingly staying away from this issue, I thought I would make sure this problem got put out there in a big way in order to get us some basic simple answers directly.
 
Just had a funny thought, if we could only get Bill O'Reilly to sit down with ATI about this card issue.

Ahh ... we can only dream.
 
Wow, they really got on your bad side huh? I'm surprised that you're still this worked up after selling the card. I doubt very much that this will even register on the tv network's radar though. Buggy video cards aren't exactly a hot story :)
 
I wouldn't got as far to say I'm worked up over this. But, I think someone does need to at least try and get the word out there that there are some serious issues affecting thousands and thousands of card owners with no solution, going on two months now. It is very news worthy.

And unfortunately, a of of your hardware tech new sites have their hands tied as they have relationships with ATI directly. So you are going to see a lot of wait and see / professional courtesy take place for while yet.

No, not worked up, the O'Reilly comment was a joke.
 
@Frobot

wow dude. really .. honestly?

If you would have gone thru my history and read my posts, especially the last few dozen, you would have seen where I commented that I've never crashed in XP. And, I never have. But, I don't run XP, I run a $200 dollar copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Not only did I disclose the card locked up exactly the way I said it did, I answered 4 questions OPENLY on the auction answering questions about the lockups.

So since you are going to assume all over me and expect the worst from me, I guess you can assume the price I sold it for? So how much did it sell for? Well it was no reserve auction with free shipping and it sold for $280 dollars.

And Frobot, if it's ok with you .... I would like to add that the card was unregistered and that not only does the new owner get the double life time warranty, they got a free code for the game Dirt 2.

Merry %@#%@D@ X-mas Frobot, we just love people like you here on the forums

Of course I expect the worst from you, with the comments you made. If you really did disclose the issues, then I stand corrected. But from what you said, it sure didn't sound like it.

You said: "I would try and get it sold FAST before any value is lost."

If you're going to disclose that yours gray screens, then why would it ever lose ANY value? If anything, it would RISE in value in the future if the possibility of a fix comes out. At the present moment its value is presumably at its lowest, because there is the possibility that it is not fixable.

So stop acting so damn outraged. Merely by your language it sounds like you're implying that it should be sold before people are aware of the whole problem.
 
Merry %@#%@D@ X-mas Frobot, we just love people like you here on the forums
By the way, since you had to be a dick about it...

Sold mine this evening via eBay and have already ordered a Nvidia 295. Pretty excited.

So that would be Dec. 20?

Not only did I disclose the card locked up exactly the way I said it did, I answered 4 questions OPENLY on the auction answering questions about the lockups.

So since you are going to assume all over me and expect the worst from me, I guess you can assume the price I sold it for? So how much did it sell for? Well it was no reserve auction with free shipping and it sold for $280 dollars.

Assume? There's no need to assume.

Let's see your past auctions, seller "mediaplayaz." That's you, isn't it? Huh. Doesn't look like you've sold anything in the last two weeks:

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/medi...e=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_trksid=p3911.c0.m283&_rdc=1

But hey, maybe you just sell under a different name, right? Let's search eBay's completed auctions for an XFX 5870 that sold for $280:

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...sop=15&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1

Oops! Doesn't exist!

Still, I find it hard to believe that anyone would be stupid enough to make things up which are so easily verifiable, so if the white knight on his unicorn cares to serve up a URL, I will gladly and humbly retract my suspiciousness.
 
Still, I find it hard to believe that anyone would be stupid enough to make things up which are so easily verifiable
Really, did you miss this bit?

Just had a funny thought, if we could only get Bill O'Reilly to sit down with ATI about this card issue.

Ahh ... we can only dream.
C'mon, that's a serious tell! ;)

Noice post btw, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn! :cool:
 
First of all - are any of you having issues with your cards that ARE NOT overclocked?

Second - have any of you having issues at stock tried 9.10 catalyst?


Seems there are two different issues here ( stability @ stock, and stability overclocked) - you cannot expect even 1mhz overclock from any piece of hardware. So before all the people overclocking call foul, how many of you have crashes at stock speed on the GPU?
 
First of all - are any of you having issues with your cards that ARE NOT overclocked?

Second - have any of you having issues at stock tried 9.10 catalyst?


Seems there are two different issues here ( stability @ stock, and stability overclocked) - you cannot expect even 1mhz overclock from any piece of hardware. So before all the people overclocking call foul, how many of you have crashes at stock speed on the GPU?

i am using 9.10 strong at stock clock XFX 5850
WOOT FIXED FOR ME!
 
i am using 9.10 strong at stock clock XFX 5850
WOOT FIXED FOR ME!

I think everyone here needs to slow down, take a breath and read.

If you are overclocking I laid some information out here - http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035081621&postcount=263

Its not a hardware issue. I believe its a driver issue with most people over clocking. I dont think afterburner is applying voltage correctly with 9.11 or 9.12 catalysts.

Some cards may have issues with stability @ stock speeds and stock volts but thats another issue entirely.
 
has anyone here pulled the cooler off their card and checked to ensure there is good contact with the thermal compound and gpu core / memory chips / power regulators ?? Obviously this is not recommended due to voiding the warranty, but I am just curious if this is just bad thermal throughput on one component or something.. or.. what ATi supposedly said about a component degrading.. who knows.

Funny I had 3 4870's fail on me each within a month so I was able to RMA. After the third one I went to a 260GTX, then 280 GTX, never had a problem with either.

No one is immune.

I agree totally.. there always seems to be some amount of last line QA that the consumer ends up doing after a release.. which sucks.. but then again life just isn't always fair..
 
How in the world is removing the stock heat sink voiding the warranty? First off, they will never know you pulled it off and replaced the thermal paste any way...provided that you don't tell them you did or you didn't mess the card up in the process.
 
well.. there is potential to damage something depending on your skill levels etc.. I thought it actually did void the warranty with some MFGs.. but maybe not. /me shrugs
 
well.. there is potential to damage something depending on your skill levels etc.. I thought it actually did void the warranty with some MFGs.. but maybe not. /me shrugs

No I think some do say it voids your warranty...but just saying...how will they know, lol :D
 
I have flashed my 5870 to asus oc bios disabled hd ati audio and not using after burner to oc-- 950/1300 stock in ccc with 45% fan ..testing. so far no crashes but i have been solid before for a week also under other tests.could it be afterburner ? weird thing is back in the 9.10 days i dont think i had this problems and afterburner wasnt ready. i o/ced using ccc back then ..

Oh ive re aplied the paste it had solid conection on the goo and heatsinks.
 
Last edited:
No I think some do say it voids your warranty...but just saying...how will they know, lol :D

Ahh.. gotcha.. right.. well, yeah.. I think if you are careful there is no reason so say anything about it.. for sure! but I don't like asking people to do this on the open forum, hence my words of caution. :)

well... I am going to stop fretting over this before I have even tried my new card... I have my Nvidia cards as a backup.. if I do get this issue I am sending this card right back. I'm not going to dick around with trying things everyone else has only to waste time I would normally spend gaming pulling my hair out.

I am sorry for you folks who have had to do this though.. it really stinks! :(
 
I have flashed my 5870 to asus oc bios disabled hd ati audio and not using after burner to oc-- 950/1300 stock in ccc with 45% fan ..testing. so far no crashes but i have been solid before for a week also under other tests.could it be afterburner ? weird thing is back in the 9.10 days i dont think i had this problems and afterburner wasnt ready. i o/ced using ccc back then ..

Oh ive re aplied the paste it had solid conection on the goo and heatsinks.

I dont think cats 9.11 and 9.12 are actually letting afterburner apply the voltage you are selecting within afterburner. Thats why overclocks are suddenly unstable on 9.11 and 9.12.
 
Everything about you is based around assumption, some people are like that. Fact searching are one of the main traits.

It's a few days before xmas. The buyer wanted to card. A price was agreed upon and the auction was closed, money accepted and this morning, card shipped.

My wife and I reading this together and she is just creeped out by you. I told her, it's ok, really, the internet does have these types out there. You scared my wife into thinking you would go and hack her facebook, lol ... nice work there buddy.

So, sigh ... back to assumptions again and all that jazz, anyways, can you please post the list of people that closed their auctions early? And when you do see my card there, I think my auction title was "AMD ATI XFX 5870 Like new, mint" I will not accept an apology as there is no need. I've dealt with people that assume a lot, mostly women. It can be a real pain in the ass.
 
Last edited:
Everything about you is based around assumption, some people are like that. Fact searching are one of the main traits.

It's a few days before xmas. The buyer wanted to card. A price was agreed upon and the auction was closed, money accepted and this morning, card shipped.

My wife and I reading this together and she is just creeped out by you. I told her, it's ok, really, the internet does have these types out there. You scared my wife into thinking you would go and hack her facebook, lol ... nice work there buddy.

So, sigh ... back to assumptions again and all that jazz, anyways, can you please post the list of people that closed their auctions early?

lol, your both tools, get back on topic and stay there.
 
Yeah ENOUGH! already, still no grey screens here since 9.12 hotfix drivers, so looks like amd did something in the drivers regarding that issue which has fixed it for some ppl but not others.

I was on dirt2 for bout 3 hours last night no crashes at all, not been on anything else much so i can't report on anything else.
 
I think I may have pinpointed the problem, at least on my machine:

I remember that I had problems earlier with a 8600GT and Asus P5B mainboard sound. If I used the onboard sound, the game would crash just like this, but with a blue screen instead. Turning off onboard sound and using X-fi fixed this then.

For a year now, I have had a rock stable system with a 4870X2 and a P5Q mainboard. Still using the onboard sound because I haven't put back the X-fi yet. I have connected the machine to my living room tv and turned off MB sound in the Bios, using only the ATI HDMI sound. Not a single grey screen yet. Earlier, I had to turn off HDMI sound to get some stability.

I'll report back when I have tested the stability some more. Gamed for 2 hours with L4D2 (where it usually crashed very quickly in the game) and no crashes.
 
Everything about you is based around assumption, some people are like that. Fact searching are one of the main traits.

Fact searching, crime of the century.

My wife and I reading this together and she is just creeped out by you. I told her, it's ok, really, the internet does have these types out there. You scared my wife into thinking you would go and hack her facebook, lol ... nice work there buddy.

Sorry to step on your wife's tinfoil hat. The government should be on the alert against these dastardly malicious eBay completed item searchers.

So, sigh ... back to assumptions again and all that jazz, anyways, can you please post the list of people that closed their auctions early? And when you do see my card there, I think my auction title was "AMD ATI XFX 5870 Like new, mint" I will not accept an apology as there is no need. I've dealt with people that assume a lot, mostly women. It can be a real pain in the ass.

Sure. Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-RADEON-HD-5...emQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item23045048af

When you end a listing early it doesn't just disappear. But you can just quit playing these games and post the URL and I'll concede I was wrong, or you fess up that you're full of shit.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Fact searching, crime of the century.



Sorry to step on your wife's tinfoil hat. The government should be on the alert against these dastardly malicious eBay completed item searchers.



Sure. Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-RADEON-HD-5...emQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item23045048af

When you end a listing early it doesn't just disappear. But you can just quit playing these games and post the URL and I'll concede I was wrong, or you fess up that you're full of shit.

Take it to PM please.

Back on topic, I tried upping the 2d clocks and that's been working pretty well. I was playing MW2 for hours last night without crashing.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think I may have pinpointed the problem, at least on my machine:

I remember that I had problems earlier with a 8600GT and Asus P5B mainboard sound. If I used the onboard sound, the game would crash just like this, but with a blue screen instead. Turning off onboard sound and using X-fi fixed this then.

For a year now, I have had a rock stable system with a 4870X2 and a P5Q mainboard. Still using the onboard sound because I haven't put back the X-fi yet. I have connected the machine to my living room tv and turned off MB sound in the Bios, using only the ATI HDMI sound. Not a single grey screen yet. Earlier, I had to turn off HDMI sound to get some stability.

I'll report back when I have tested the stability some more. Gamed for 2 hours with L4D2 (where it usually crashed very quickly in the game) and no crashes.

This issue however is random. There isn't a set time when this issue arises. People have reported gaming fine for a whole week thinking they solved the issue and then get the crash. This really sounds hardware related, seeing that the crashes are sporadic and random. Meh, if I were you guys I'd just return the card.
 
Fact searching, crime of the century.



Sorry to step on your wife's tinfoil hat. The government should be on the alert against these dastardly malicious eBay completed item searchers.



Sure. Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-RADEON-HD-5...emQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item23045048af

When you end a listing early it doesn't just disappear. But you can just quit playing these games and post the URL and I'll concede I was wrong, or you fess up that you're full of shit.

You two are so fake. Give it up already.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I really dont think theres a blanket fix for these problems and it really is machine specific, i have tryed every single fix listed in the last 16 pages and the only thing that worked was installed cats 9.10. I suggest everybody start with drivers, then go to voltages/3rd party programs/bios' and profiles.
 
This issue however is random. There isn't a set time when this issue arises. People have reported gaming fine for a whole week thinking they solved the issue and then get the crash. This really sounds hardware related, seeing that the crashes are sporadic and random. Meh, if I were you guys I'd just return the card.

Sporadic and random crashes was the exact thing that happened with my 8600GT and P5B. That time, it was caused by MB sound.

This time, it seems that it was the sound too. Though, I did monitor the machine and event manager reported several times error with aspi32.sys as well before crash. That is adaptec driver which was incompatible with vista 64 and either a leftover from D-tools or Magic ISO. I deleted the aspi32 folders in system registry and this error haven't occured since.

I can return the card for a new one (besides the grey error, I love the card and it gives me no other problems). But, if this is a compatibility issue, I would get the same problem again. The 4870X2 was stable on this system and I still have that card. I might install that again and check to see if there is an issue with the newer drivers and this MB.

The issue isn't widespread enough to be a 5870 design flaw, so it must either be a fault with my card or a compatibility issue either on hardware or software level. Since ATI HDMI sound have remedied the problem for many, it might be a conflict with onboard sound. However, I would like if someone with this problem checked to see if they have aspi32 themselves too in system registry (start meny -> run ->type regedit -> search for aspi32).
 
I do not overclock.

Every onboard device on my Intel DP55KG that can be disabled is disabled.

Disabling HDMI audio via Device Manager does not fix the issue.

Now you may be on to something. None of us have talked about sound cards really. I am using an Auzen Forte (X-Fi) with SPDIF coax out. The 5870 is using HDMI out into a display. The HDMI is being used for video only. I admit it is entirely possible that the sound card is not playing nice with the 5870. Maybe this has to do with HDMI's HDCP even? Who knows. Thinking back to when I used to play Lord of the Rings Online (beta and retail), they had a problem with Creative Labs' OpenAL driver that was customized for the game by Creative and Turbine. The problem would cause the game to freeze and the sound to loop.

Oddly enough this 5870 grey screen/vertical line problem also causes looped sound.

Who knows...I have heard just about every scenario possible now. It just seems that I have tried everything listed here and on various other forums and nothing works. I work in the tech industry and consider my troubleshooting skills to be top notch, so I am 110% confident I kinda know what I am doing and I can usually fix just about any problem as long as it is not a hardware issue. Of my decade plus of building high-end gaming PCs, I have never run into an issue like this before...it just seems impossible to fix. And considering that it is affecting SO MANY people...and especially people that post on TECH FORUMS that people like us hang out on, I find it hard to believe that it is user error or a bunch of people that dont know what they are doing. I honestly still think it is bad silicon or other parts from TSMC, the OEM, etc. I am thinking a bad batch went out to the public. Some folks got good cards and others got bad apples.
 
I have been in contact with XFX since 12/03/2009. Here is their latest response to me..../sigh

Hello Michael, There is no huge issue with these parts regardless of what people say on the forums If you would like us to test the card out than we have no problems doing that and we can replace it if there is. Newegg has no more information than we do from ATi I can guarentee. Whoever you spoke with is probably just saying what they read from someone on a forum that also does not have the information that we do. ATi is on holiday at the moment. We have escalated this issue to them but I don`t think that we are going to get any new information at the moment. We have RMAed cards for this issue an not been able to replicate the problem. We have tried replicating systems as closely as we can and still we don`t get the same issues. There was another driver issued at the end of last week. Try the driver at http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx. Be triple sure that Overdrive is disabled. If you have any utilities capable of controling clock frequencies than remove them. Remove Rivatuner, GPU Tool, Afterburner. Completely uninstall them. Let us know if you are still having an issue with this driver at standard frequencies with overclocking utilities removed. Thank you.
 
No problems on my 5770 since installing AMD Tool and forcing the 3d clock all the time. Idle temps only went up 3 degrees C, with fan running at the same speed.
 
xfx 5870 with asus oc bios oc via ccc 985/1300 50% fan / 9.12
My theory afterburner is messing things up or it could be the voltera chips on the cards ?

played l4d2 for a while and then ut3 no problems.

Then got messn with afterburner leaving it open in background and setting to show gpu temp i can see in uper window when in game .. guess what i crashed with grey vrtcle stripes.
Now i turned off afterburner and am testing again..time will tell
..here is the strange thing i am able to clock to 985 on the core with no volt boost .I couldnt do that before.. asus bios is the shizick ?

ok guys played l4d2 again with afterburner off over 30 mins and no lock ups.. will continue to test.....
 
Last edited:
xfx 5870 with asus oc bios oc via ccc 985/1300 50% fan / 9.12
My theory afterburner is messing things up or it could be the voltera chips on the cards ?

played l4d2 for a while and then ut3 no problems.

Then got messn with afterburner leaving it open in background and setting to show gpu temp i can see in uper window when in game .. guess what i crashed with grey vrtcle stripes.
Now i turned off afterburner and am testing again..time will tell
..here is the strange thing i am able to clock to 985 on the core with no volt boost .I couldnt do that before.. asus bios is the shizick ?

to be continued ...


Told you guys...
 
update :

played again l4d2 for a while and then ut3 no problems. no after burner
tried vantage 1000 gpu core and driver stoped responding but no grey crash so i set back to 975/1300 mhz for testing .

will keep testing and post back
 
I have to concur with the above, previously my crashes stemmed from having afterburber in the backgrond but now, without it, I'm running fine
 
Back
Top