• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 gray screen crash.

played another 30 or so mins no problems... afterburner off


ok the 3 diff times played l4d2 for 30 or more minutes each time,after burner off , no grey screen crash

first time i played l4d2 with after burner on, grey screen crash bout 10 mins into .

guys see if you can reproduce this !



I am using asus smart dr and now at 1.2v 1000 mhz / 1300 mhz stock cooler and playing l4d2 10 mins[so far] and run of vantage just fine.. I couldnt get 1000mhz core with afterburner at anything less than 1.28v
no grey crashes ..
 
Last edited:
xfx 5870 with asus oc bios oc via ccc 985/1300 50% fan / 9.12
My theory afterburner is messing things up or it could be the voltera chips on the cards ?

played l4d2 for a while and then ut3 no problems.

Then got messn with afterburner leaving it open in background and setting to show gpu temp i can see in uper window when in game .. guess what i crashed with grey vrtcle stripes.
Now i turned off afterburner and am testing again..time will tell
..here is the strange thing i am able to clock to 985 on the core with no volt boost .I couldnt do that before.. asus bios is the shizick ?

ok guys played l4d2 again with afterburner off over 30 mins and no lock ups.. will continue to test.....

You should be a pal and let people know where they can download this bios. I know I have this bios somewhere as I used it on my 5850 at one point :p
 
So...mike_j_johnson, are/were you running Afterburner? Did you do what the XFX rep said and did it fix the problem?

It would be crazy if everybody that was having these issues had been running Afterburner. I'm interested to see if eliminating it works for anyone besides dnottis and NeonGuy...
 
Just got this from XFX rep:

If you are overclocking your CPU or system memory then revert back to the default frequencies for those devices through these tests. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO OVERCLOCK ANY COMPONENTS DURING THIS TEST. Download the 9.12 hotfix driver from http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx. This is different than the release 9.12 driver. Remove your previous display driver from Programs and Features in the ATI Catalyst Install Manager. Right click your desktop and select Catalyst Control Center. Select Graphics and go to ATI Overdrive. If this screen is grayed out than leave it. If you have already accepted the EULA and have enabled Overdrive than disable it. Remove any utilities capable of controlling clock frequencies like Rivatuner or Afterburner. Completely remove them from the system, not just disable. You want to run the card at our rated frequencies through these tests. Test again with the new driver if you are still seeing the same issue. If you are still having the same issue than right click your My Computer icon and select Manage. Go to System Tools\Device Manager\Sound. Disable all audio controllers in the system. If this resolves the problem than you can go back and enable them one at a time to see which is causing it. Let us know if you are still having an issue. Thank you.

Will try after work :(
 
Afterburner seems to be the source of many of the crashes - so XFX or ATI telling you to disable these tools is spot on for the first step. If you are still having problems stock and without afterburner, then RMA your card.

I havent had a single crash since I uninstalled Afterburner.
 
I get these crashes and I've never installed afterburner....

there you go.

Right - then you have another problem. RMA it.

I've noticed alot of i7s having this issue. Wonder if a BIOS update for the mobo is the answer just like the P55s needed.
 
on the desktop or in game and are they grey screen crashes with vertical stripes ?

other kinds of crashes do not applly
 
Um it sounds like he is having otherproblems aswell..! Takes from is posts; hard to say what going on in his box.

Wazooty posts....................
Ugh...with 9.10 I seemed to have some stability. 9.11 brought a bunch of random bsods. 9.12 brought back the grey/beige screen crashes. I just got 3 in about an hour.

My issues arise exclusively when I attach a second, non eyefinity based monitor. I used to get the grey screens when using one monitor, that's gone away and it is as solid and reliable as can be...

Hmmm, worked A+ stellar for a week, never turned off, nothing. Sleep worked, everything was awesome

Upon attaching second monitor 3 bsods within 12 hours. Stock clocks.

Ughhhhhhh.

I was starting to get an enormous amount of bsods...a couple daily with 9.10. Installed 9.11 and none so far.

They still have not fixed the dual monitor bug when overclocking, where it does not...
 
I've noticed alot of i7s having this issue.

Well, to be fair many people buying a 5870 are also pretty likely to have an i7 also. I doubt it's an i7 or X58 issue, but I guess it's possible.

This makes me want to buy a 5870 just to see if I have any issues (any excuse to buy newer hw, lol).
 
ASUS overclock bios here

linky

Poeple we are trying to find the reason for a greay screen crash with vertical stripes sometime with sound looping. -eg-Sometimes the grey screen can pinker or tan
24xoyg2.jpg




If your crash is a blue screen like this [bsod] , hard locking or back to desktop, please its not the crash we are talking bout.Sounds like some problem with your hardware or oc or just overheating the card,.
bsod1.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have never used Afterburner or any other OC utility. I do not OC any piece of hardware in my system....all stock, JEDEC standard timings, etc.

Grey screen/vertical line/looped audio locks happen in Windows, IE, Flash content, 2D/3D gaming, etc.

Underclocking via Overdrive does not fix.

New official ATI BIOS does not fix.

Profile mod (to raise 2D clock floor) does not fix.

Disabling HDMI audio does not fix.

9.11, 9.11 + Dirt2 hotfix, 9.12 & 9.12 + hotfix does not fix.

Latest motherboard BIOS does not fix.

All onboard devices disabled...does not fix.

Latest DirectX does not fix.

All software/hardware/OS drivers, patches, updates, firmware, BIOS, Windows updates, etc. does not fix.

Event Viewer does not generate errors after the lock up. It just says Windows was shutdown unexpectedly.

Any more questions? XFX admitted to me that others have RMA'd their cards due to the same problem...yet they cant reproduce (apparently). So obviously this IS a wide spread issue and no one can deny just by looking at this forum as well as MANY MANY other tech forums.

Again...I DO NOT OC and I DO NOT USE OC UTILITIES. ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, Windows memory diagnostic and Memtest86+ show NO memory errors.

EDIT2: Reformatting does not fix (tried this three times now).
 
Last edited:
Well, to be fair many people buying a 5870 are also pretty likely to have an i7 also. I doubt it's an i7 or X58 issue, but I guess it's possible.

This makes me want to buy a 5870 just to see if I have any issues (any excuse to buy newer hw, lol).


well.. I am about to find out... my i7 is @ 3.8 with HT off... 6gb of mem @ 1600 9-9-9-24 @ 1.6v... my setup has been really really stable for a long time.. 24 hour prime blend stable, played 12hour lotro sessions and the like without an issue.. only going to use one monitor (for now).. so it will be interesting to see if I have these issues... I am going to load up the 9.12hf drivers from the start.. no OCing no extra utils.. just a very conservative config to start..
 
I think a lot of us are in a BIG pickel here. Either wait it out or send the card back to the retailer you bought from. Id hate to keep the card and not be-able to send back to retailer and need to send to XFX for help :mad::mad::mad:
 
Maybe its time to gather hardware configs. I notice alot of you guys have EVGA x58s.

See if there is something similar in the configs.
 
I am still convinced it is an instability issue caused by Powerplay (voltages/clocks) on maybe a bad batch of parts/cards that went out (cards that are deviating from spec). TSMC issue? OEM issue? Who knows...
 
hmm... well I was getting grey screens with my bad ram, and then I switched the ram and haven't had a problem. So... problem solved for me, I guess.
 
well i just went 1 hour furmark 5870 950/1300 stock clocks stock volt and fan at 55 %..
If the card couldnt take that oc it would have failed it didnt hardware is fine.
Must be a software problem, bios/drivers ?
75c max

have the snipit pic of it too.
 
Last edited:
I am still convinced it is an instability issue caused by Powerplay (voltages/clocks)

My money's on that 1, probably a new driver will fix all that, i know AMD are onto the situation cos i no longer get grey screens at the desktop on 9.12 hotfix drivers.






Time is the best teacher, it's a pitty it eventually kills all it's students!
 
How in the world is removing the stock heat sink voiding the warranty? First off, they will never know you pulled it off and replaced the thermal paste any way...provided that you don't tell them you did or you didn't mess the card up in the process.

Because it's modifying the card which specifically breaks the warranty for the card for practically all vendors.

I think it's either EVGA or XFX that actually allow heatsink removal, but it's the exception...advising people it's fine is bad advice.
 
u r both right , not good buisiness to say its ok to remove the hsink. But Heatsink removal and repasting happens behind closed doors. repasting gives at least
5 -10c better temps.



Stop comparing sizes.
cock375x.jpg



Still no grey crashes.. mayby i will palay wil after burner a bit and see.
 
Last edited:
As long as there is no physical damage from the heatsink removal EVGA and XFX will cover you. I have had plenty of conversations with both companies. That being said. I have done the paste swap and it really didn't help me any. I moved over to MX2 paste. Did not cure any problem and maybe saw a 2-3C temp drop. With my new rig built I have yet to have a crash. I am about to go to 8g of ram and see if that effects any stability.
 
Aaaand count me in to the crash club. My 5870 just gray screened for no reason. I wasn't even running 3D stuff, just surfing the web. Stock clocks, never tried to OC, and good cooling.

I am very annoyed at this point. I decided to give ATi another chance having been an nVidia guy for many years (last ATi card was a 9800 Pro, and never had one before that). This is driving me back to nVidia in a hurry and I think I'll again swear off ATi.

This kind of shit is not acceptable. Ideally there should never be a crash but if there is, at least it should be graceful enough to allow the OS to halt and give a blue screen.

What's more annoying is that the crash, being a hard crash like that, messed up my array so now I have 38 hours of disk rebuilding in my future before my system is full performance again.

Impressive performance out of this card, and top notch image quality, but at this point I want my 280 back. All the performance in the world isn't useful if I have to worry about my system blowing up randomly.
 
Aaaand count me in to the crash club. My 5870 just gray screened for no reason. I wasn't even running 3D stuff, just surfing the web. Stock clocks, never tried to OC, and good cooling.

I am very annoyed at this point. I decided to give ATi another chance having been an nVidia guy for many years (last ATi card was a 9800 Pro, and never had one before that). This is driving me back to nVidia in a hurry and I think I'll again swear off ATi.

This kind of shit is not acceptable. Ideally there should never be a crash but if there is, at least it should be graceful enough to allow the OS to halt and give a blue screen.

What's more annoying is that the crash, being a hard crash like that, messed up my array so now I have 38 hours of disk rebuilding in my future before my system is full performance again.

Impressive performance out of this card, and top notch image quality, but at this point I want my 280 back. All the performance in the world isn't useful if I have to worry about my system blowing up randomly.

I feel the exact same way. I am about to jump ship back to my gtx 280. This is not acceptable at all with ATi not explaining whats wrong. Leaving us in the cold :mad:
 
I feel the exact same way. I am about to jump ship back to my gtx 280. This is not acceptable at all with ATi not explaining whats wrong. Leaving us in the cold :mad:

You guys all have EVGA x58 motherboards. I have a feeling if we give this enough time we'll find out the problem lies with the EVGA x58 motherboard and not ATI.

For the rest of us NOT using that mobo removing Afterburner is fixing it.
 
You guys all have EVGA x58 motherboards. I have a feeling if we give this enough time we'll find out the problem lies with the EVGA x58 motherboard and not ATI.

For the rest of us NOT using that mobo removing Afterburner is fixing it.

Not everyone with an EVGA X58 board is having problems.. (that'd be me). I'm not using Afterburner though. It'd be interesting to see what motherboard BIOS everyone is running though.
 
Last edited:
You guys all have EVGA x58 motherboards. I have a feeling if we give this enough time we'll find out the problem lies with the EVGA x58 motherboard and not ATI.

For the rest of us NOT using that mobo removing Afterburner is fixing it.

But then how will you increase the voltage without afterburner? Could it be that maybe it's msi's afterburner that needs to be fixed?
 
My motherboard is the INTEL DP55KG and I do not use Afterburner or anything else.

...but you know what? Screw it...after two months of dealing with this crap, I finally got my RMA from XFX. I am done. I just ordered a GTX 285 until Fermi is released (eVGA step-up here I come!).

Good luck guys and let me know if you wanna buy the card I get as a replacement from XFX. ;)
 
You guys all have EVGA x58 motherboards. I have a feeling if we give this enough time we'll find out the problem lies with the EVGA x58 motherboard and not ATI.

No, I don't. I have an Intel DP35DP. It has been a solid board for me for over a year now. It also isn't overclocked, and indeed can't be.

The problem is ATis. It may be how their hardware interacts with other hardware, but it is still their problem. The only hardware that has changed is the graphics card, and now I have this problem all of a sudden.
 
Just flashed my EVGA x58 to the latest bios and I got the gray screen in 2 minutes playing L4D2. This is about all I can take. Back to NV.
 
But then how will you increase the voltage without afterburner? Could it be that maybe it's msi's afterburner that needs to be fixed?

Ok, so after some further research it looks like the problem with the Afterburner issue is Afterburner 1.4.0 and up (1.4.1, 1.5 betas) and Cat 9.11 / 9.12

Two suggestions would be:
1. try Afterburner 1.30 (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/MSIAfterburnerSetup130.zip)
2. try ATI Catalyst 9.10 Drivers

MSI Afterburner 1.4+ isn't actually changing the voltage to user selected voltage. Afterburner 1.3 is the last working one that actually changes the voltage.

I'm at work and cannot test this till later but from what I've seen from Unwinder and on the official forums using Afterburner 1.3 should sort these voltage issues when overclocking.



For those of you with stock clocks (or without Afterburner) crashes try Catalyst 9.10 and report back!
 
Last edited:
Dood i dont know where u get this from ?
i set volt in afterburner and it shows in gpuz and smart dr unless you measured with a volt meter ?
 
Ok, so after some further research it looks like the problem with the Afterburner issue is Afterburner 1.4.0 and up (1.4.1, 1.5 betas) and Cat 9.11 / 9.12

Two suggestions would be:
1. try Afterburner 1.30 (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/MSIAfterburnerSetup130.zip)
2. try ATI Catalyst 9.10 Drivers

MSI Afterburner 1.4+ isn't actually changing the voltage to user selected voltage. Afterburner 1.3 is the last working one that actually changes the voltage.

I'm at work and cannot test this till later but from what I've seen from Unwinder and on the official forums using Afterburner 1.3 should sort these voltage issues when overclocking.



For those of you with stock clocks (or without Afterburner) crashes try Catalyst 9.10 and report back!


I installed Afterburner 1.3.0 and went back to my 1ghz / 1300 @ 1.187v setting and didnt crash after about an hour of COD MW2 online.

looks like the voltage contro in 1.4.0 and above was the problem!! it was never setting it properly.
 
I installed Afterburner 1.3.0 and went back to my 1ghz / 1300 @ 1.187v setting and didnt crash after about an hour of COD MW2 online.

looks like the voltage contro in 1.4.0 and above was the problem!! it was never setting it properly.

Thats strange, someone needs to bring this to Unwinder's attention but mine seems to supply the voltage just fine. And there are many times I can get away with an OC for an hour of game play only to have it crash a couple days later. I just got my first crash with my new system. I went back and disabled the ATI HDMI Audio driver to see if it resolves it like last time. Before this I had many days and many hours of gaming and then it crashed.
 
Thats strange, someone needs to bring this to Unwinder's attention but mine seems to supply the voltage just fine. And there are many times I can get away with an OC for an hour of game play only to have it crash a couple days later. I just got my first crash with my new system. I went back and disabled the ATI HDMI Audio driver to see if it resolves it like last time. Before this I had many days and many hours of gaming and then it crashed.

He already knows - thats why I went back to 1.3.0. He's a dick head anyways, I'd rather just use 1.3 than deal with him.
 
Back
Top