• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 gray screen crash.

Haha yeah, I would go get it back but, due to the 5870's inability to properly show a BSOD on my system, I need to keep this GTX 285 until I'm sure I have fixed the problem.
 
I love how stuff like this can be common and widespread but you never hear about it in reviews from major sites :rolleyes: It makes it seem like they are just not doing a good job at reviewing whatsoever.
 
I love how stuff like this can be common and widespread but you never hear about it in reviews from major sites :rolleyes: It makes it seem like they are just not doing a good job at reviewing whatsoever.

Strange a handful of us are having this problem. Seems to stem from the ATi HDMI Audio driver. What I dont get is what is cuasing this for some and not others. I am starting to think my problem started at the same time I got my Asus 25.5" monitor which does have HDMI input but not being used. Makes me wonder if its trying to push sound out over the DVI connection or something strange. I am at a loss. All I know is I gamed again last night for 3 hours.. no crash yet and I am overclocked again on the card. I was getting crashes at stock clock with the ATI HDMI Audio driver enabled.
 
Haha yeah, I would go get it back but, due to the 5870's inability to properly show a BSOD on my system, I need to keep this GTX 285 until I'm sure I have fixed the problem.

Even if you dont see the bluescreen there are debugger tools that can pickup the log and help you identify your problem. Ram is pretty easy to identify.. start running one stick at a time or run memtest over night. It could also be your ram timings or voltages. But you need to knock your CPU clock back to stock before you start trouble shooting. An overclocked CPU that isnt stable will Bluescreen as well and it can look like a ram problem even when its not. You mentioned you re-did your clock after installing win7. I would start by going back to stock and see if the problem is gone. Don't depend on the CPU stability tests. If you dont want to OC it back to stock try adding a little voltage to your CPU and also checkout your voltages out of your PSU.
 
Yeah I did redpriest, that was the problem, the 5870 would under no cirumstance allow my system to BSOD and be logged in the event logger, it would just hard freeze to a pure black screen, and nothing would show up in event logger, so I had no way to troubleshoot. I have never seen or heard of anything like that before.
 
Last edited:
Well I think i fixed my grey screen problem by changing my ddr2 1140 mhz from 5-5-5-12 to 5-5-5-15
seems solid now.. u guys might look into your rigs not the 5870/50...


so far furmark 1.65 25 mins solid. 950/1300 1.2v
 
Last edited:
Well I think i fixed my grey screen problem by changing my ddr2 1140 mhz from 5-5-5-12 to 5-5-5-15
seems solid now.. u guys might look into your rigs not the 5870/50...


so far furmark 1.65 25 mins solid. 950/1300 1.2v

This might be true for some but I got stable a different way. Also 1140mhz DDR2 ram should be ran at 5-5-5-15 I would imagine. My timings are already 5-5-5-15 1066mhz.
 
well ive ran them 5-5-5-12 jujst fine 1.92v and orthosed them rock solid...untill 5870

now 5-5-5-15 seems to stop the crashes. bout 95% better i only grey crashed on l4d2 .

but
ut3 and
crysis warhead or
l4d never .

maybe the game is sensitive..
 
well ive ran them 5-5-5-12 jujst fine 1.92v and orthosed them rock solid...untill 5870

now 5-5-5-15 seems to stop the crashes. bout 95% better i only grey crashed on l4d2 .

but
ut3 and
crysis warhead or
l4d never .

maybe the game is sensitive..

othosed isnt going to garuntee your ram is 100% stable. None of these stress programs do. Ive seen boxes pass 24 hours of prime etc and still crash because of OC.
 
Yeah testing with stress programs almost seems pointless. I've stopped using them. You have a better chance of finding stability problems just through general usage in my experience.
 
I haven't had a gray screen with my 5870, but I recently bought the LucasArts pack from Steam and JKII: Jedi Outcast is freezing/crashing after about 10 minutes or so of play. I get a message on the desktop about VPU recovery or something. Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing it's some sort of driver problem?

FYI - my Jedi Outcast and Jedi crashes are gone on my 5970 after updating to the Dirt 2 hotfix drivers. . .WOO-HOO!!!!!!!
 
othosed isnt going to garuntee your ram is 100% stable. None of these stress programs do. Ive seen boxes pass 24 hours of prime etc and still crash because of OC.

You can achieve 99.99% stable by stress testing with a combo of Prime95, LinX, Memtest HCI
 
Last edited:
It seems that I'm starting to have the banded gray/yellow screen. It flashed across the screen for a second when playing Red Alert 3 and then it froze Dirt 2 twice where I had to do a hard restart. If these are driver problems, I hope they release the new ones soon.
 
I'm having this problem and in fact after doing some research, there are MANY threads all over the internet about this same issue with the random crashes and gray screens with vertical stripes.

A friend of mine who runs a LAN center upgraded 11 of his machines to 5870's, called him about an hour ago, and all 11 machines have been having these same lockups. He is not very happy it sounded like. Mostly because its hurting his business he said on top of nearly $4,000 he spent on the cards.

This is a huge huge problem. I had to pull my card. Using my old 4890 as we speak.

Chances are, I'm going back to Nvidia and staying away from ATI. Just can't take that chance. Been crashing non-stop now for 3+ weeks several times a day.
 
All my crashes stopped. Scaled back to 3.5 GHZ and turned off the HDMI sound on the card.

Been rock solid............. I was having all kinds of crazy gray screen crashes with older drivers ......... OCed and stock cpu settings. Just happy to be able to watch videos, play games without that stupid crash.
 
All my crashes stopped. Scaled back to 3.5 GHZ and turned off the HDMI sound on the card.

Been rock solid............. I was having all kinds of crazy gray screen crashes with older drivers ......... OCed and stock cpu settings. Just happy to be able to watch videos, play games without that stupid crash.

What do you mean by turned off the HDMI sound? Is disabling it in Sound options in the control panel the same thing?
 
I reformatted and disabled that HDMI sound...problem persists.

AMD/ATI told someone on their official forums that the issue is caused by a Windows 7 update.

Anyone willing to try reformatting and NOT installing Windows 7 updates as a test? (you will have to disable the auto update setting in Windows as well).
 
I get no grey screens using Windows 7, I did however get them for a while using Vista 64. I still have no clue how I stopped it.
 
I reformatted and disabled that HDMI sound...problem persists.

AMD/ATI told someone on their official forums that the issue is caused by a Windows 7 update.

Anyone willing to try reformatting and NOT installing Windows 7 updates as a test? (you will have to disable the auto update setting in Windows as well).

Hmmm...really? I guess it could be possible because I didn't have any of these problems when I first bought the card. I think I've had maybe one or two windows updates since then. Can you provide a link? I'd like to take a look at what they're saying.
 
I moved my memory , 1140 mhz , to the other slots and changed my timings from tighter 5-5-5-12 timmings to 5-5-5- 15
and no more lock ups. In my case it apears it was never the 5870..at least it points to that.
 
Last edited:
I gamed atleast 8 hours of the weekend and still not a single lockup and I am at 950/1300 now 1.187V. Still the only thing I have changed is turning off the ATI HDMI Audio driver in device manager. *knock on wood* I am stable.
 
Actually, I managed to play about 3 hours of Dirt 2 last night without a single crash. All I did was disable the HDMI audio in device manager also.

Quick question, though. This is my first ATI card in several years, so what should I do with Catalyst AI -- leave it on or disable it? I'm only running a single 5870.
 
I am getting the grey screen crash as well. However I'm running Vista 64, not Win 7. Has happened to me twice now, once in GTA4 after playing for about an hour, and then again last night in Fallout 3 after about an hour of play. Turned off the HDMI Audio in device manager last night, played Fallout 3 some more but did not crash. Unknown if this has fixed my issue or not. FWIW I upgraded from a 4870 which *never* crashed on me, not even once.
 
I am getting the grey screen crash as well. However I'm running Vista 64, not Win 7. Has happened to me twice now, once in GTA4 after playing for about an hour, and then again last night in Fallout 3 after about an hour of play. Turned off the HDMI Audio in device manager last night, played Fallout 3 some more but did not crash. Unknown if this has fixed my issue or not. FWIW I upgraded from a 4870 which *never* crashed on me, not even once.

Which driver on teh 4870? Issue seems to follow the newer drivers.
 
Which driver on teh 4870? Issue seems to follow the newer drivers.

It doesn't seem to be driver specific. It happened to me on my 4870 with multiple older drivers and not the new ones. My overclock doesn't seem to matter either.
 
It doesn't seem to be driver specific. It happened to me on my 4870 with multiple older drivers and not the new ones. My overclock doesn't seem to matter either.

Interesting.. I started seeing this with the beta 9.10s. I still am not having anymore issues since I disabled the ATI HDMI Audio driver. Now I am about to move to a MSI P55 GD65 board with an i5. Will see if the issue returns with the new setup.
 
So far I've had 3 crashes with gray banded screens, all while simply surfing the internet.

Today, while playing Dragon Age I got a nice new surprise, a lovely little black screen with yellow stripes!
 
What do you mean by turned off the HDMI sound? Is disabling it in Sound options in the control panel the same thing?


Yeah I turned off the HDMI sound that is onboard the video card via the Control panel.(device manager, sound and video game controllers etc etc)



On my fresh copy of Win7 I was getting the crashes over and over. I had tried the turning off hdmi before, stock cpu etc etc...... would always crash. Up until the latest driver I have been fine. I still keep hdmi off since I dont use it.

I did multiple Win7 installs when I was getting my crashes. I am not sure what fixed it. But it was annoying.
 
I've had the HDMI audio disabled from the Device Manger for the past couple of days and I've had no crashes yet. I could play Dirt 2 for about 2-3 hours without any incident. With the HDMI audio enabled, it would crash anywhere from an hour of play to just a few minutes of play.
 
I just received an XFX 5870 last night. Was getting the gray banded screen of death. Read this thread some and tried disabling the HDMI sound on the card, but that didn't help. What has helped so far, however, is disabling the Realtek HD onboard sound that my motherboard has. Granted, that has left me without sound at all and an obvious need to test further... But I'm at work now and won't be able to work it more until tonight. Wanted to toss this possibility out for you folks that are still having issues and doing your own experiments.

I am on Windows 7 x64, btw. 8 GB of RAM on an Abit IP-35 pro motherboard.
 
I just received an XFX 5870 last night. Was getting the gray banded screen of death. Read this thread some and tried disabling the HDMI sound on the card, but that didn't help. What has helped so far, however, is disabling the Realtek HD onboard sound that my motherboard has. Granted, that has left me without sound at all and an obvious need to test further... But I'm at work now and won't be able to work it more until tonight. Wanted to toss this possibility out for you folks that are still having issues and doing your own experiments.

I am on Windows 7 x64, btw. 8 GB of RAM on an Abit IP-35 pro motherboard.

Yeah, issue seems to follow mostly Win7 X64. For some that are overclocked and on the edge of stability this card seems to push them over the edge vs. the other card you may have been running. Start from square one. Turning off the HDMI driver only seems to have helped a few including me. What driver version?
 
Last edited:
I've tried 9.10, 9.11, and some random betas that claimed to be an early version of 9.12.

The Windows update thing that other people have mentioned is what keeps sticking out in my mind as a very real possibility. Not an actual Windows update, but the Realtek stuff gets updated through there too. I do not know what version I am on for those sound drivers, and will have to check when I get home. My first step is going to be removing them and trying a few different versions since I'm stable without sound currently. Even Fallout 3 runs, which would immediately lock up on my first camera movement in game when I had my onboard sound enabled. The odd part about this is that it did not happen with my Visiontek 4870.

As for the overclock possibility - I've already removed that as a possibility unless the card isn't stable at an underclocked state too. Doesn't fit in with the sound conflict I have either, so if that does end up being the case it will take a lot more testing to prove it.

I'm pretty sure I've just run into a good old fashioned driver conflict. I'll do more testing tonight and over the weekend and get back to you guys with whatever I find.
 
removing hdmi sound = no worky
lowering my memory oc a tad ..fixed my grey screen crash
 
removing hdmi sound = no worky
lowering my memory oc a tad ..fixed my grey screen crash

Sounds like some are just batteling OC issues.. stock clocks I still had problems. I just got my i5 setup built and overclocked stable 4ghz (surprisingly very easy). I gamed for about an hour so far with no gray screen crash. I read the 9.12 drivers come out on the 16th so lets hope this helps some of you out.
 
Does anyone know the percentage of people with the HD5870 who are having this problem?
 
Staus update: Since turning HDMI audio off I only had it happen once but I'm certain that I caused it by overclocking the memory from 1250 to 1275. Tried playing Fallout 3 and I could tell right away that something was wrong. It went to the "grey screen" within about 5 minutes.

I played GTA4 for about three hours last night on normal clocks, nothing happened. I was monitoring GPU temps on my G15 keyboard, max temp I saw was about 61c. No lockups, ran fine.

I believe disabling HDMI audio fixed the problem.

Note that I am running Vista 64, not Win 7. Also I am running a q9450 overclocked 20% to 3.2gigs.
 
Back
Top