• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 gray screen crash.

I'm on a clean install of Win7pro. I was crashing with the gray lines like everyone else, but i turned the fan to max (stock clock) via the overlclocking options and no more crashing (so far). Dam thing sounds like a jet plane, but it seems stable. Anyone else tried this ?
 
I'm on a clean install of Win7pro. I was crashing with the gray lines like everyone else, but i turned the fan to max (stock clock) via the overlclocking options and no more crashing (so far). Dam thing sounds like a jet plane, but it seems stable. Anyone else tried this ?

It's not a heat related problem.
 
Today, while playing Dragon Age I got a nice new surprise, a lovely little black screen with yellow stripes!

Wow, that's the exact same thing that's been happening with me in Dragon Age. A newly installed 5870, using 9.11 Catalyst (at default settings), on Windows 7 64 -- and Dragon Age has consistently ended up locking up with the screen turning black with lots of vertical yellow lines. I've tried disabling the HDMI audio as earlier suggested, didn't seem to help.
 
This has been a interesting thread,as I've been wanting a 5870(I'm using a Intel DP45SG motherboard) and it hurts to see you guys have issues with the 5870. I'm currently using a GTX 260 with no issues with my Vista home premium 64 bit OS. It makes me kinda hesitant to buy a 5870,and I do hope a permanent solution is found.
 
This has been a interesting thread,as I've been wanting a 5870(I'm using a Intel DP45SG motherboard) and it hurts to see you guys have issues with the 5870. I'm currently using a GTX 260 with no issues with my Vista home premium 64 bit OS. It makes me kinda hesitant to buy a 5870,and I do hope a permanent solution is found.

I wouldn't worry just yet. New drivers are out Wednesday. Hopefully, that will fix the problem.
 
I've been running my new system with my old Nvidia 8800GT for about 2 weeks with no issues. Then, I purchased a new 5850 card and installed the 9.11 drivers. I started to get the grey screen lockup all the time. Games caused it, but so did just watching a vid on youtube. I am not overclocking anything.

Disabling the HDMI audio had no effect.

Based on some feedback here, I started to look into my system stability. Turns out one pair of the 2GB modules was bad. When I removed these from the system, I get no more lockups, even running the remaining 4GB at 1333.

Greg
 
I've been running my new system with my old Nvidia 8800GT for about 2 weeks with no issues. Then, I purchased a new 5850 card and installed the 9.11 drivers. I started to get the grey screen lockup all the time. Games caused it, but so did just watching a vid on youtube. I am not overclocking anything.

Disabling the HDMI audio had no effect.

Based on some feedback here, I started to look into my system stability. Turns out one pair of the 2GB modules was bad. When I removed these from the system, I get no more lockups, even running the remaining 4GB at 1333.

Greg

Same exact situation I had. Changing my RAM solved all the crashing.
 
Odd thing, I built an i5 750 @4ghz setup and I haven't even had to disable the HDMI Audio. So far no stability issues which is weird because this is the same old OS .. didn't even reload after the new mobo, cpu, ram update. *shrug* I am going to reload soon for the 9.12 and hope it remains stable. So far so good *knock on wood*
 
I'm not running crossfire so I can't speak as to that but I've had no problems with my XFX 5870 running in any games. No crashes, not texture corruption, eyefinity has worked on the 2 games I have attempted it on(fallout 3 and Modern Warfare 2). Could just be a crossfire issue I guess. I upgraded from a 4870, I made sure to uninstall all ATI software. Reboot into safe mode...Run ATI driver cleaner. Reboot. Install latest catalyst. I noticed in the latest catalyst(as of 12/15/09 9.11) by default catalyst AI is set to off. I think I remember seeing some people having problems in games with the 5 series while having it set to the right. Just some things to try good luck!
 
Last edited:
I get a grey screen crash when I overclock my cpu and run prime95 for like 10-15 minutes or so.

Also, the driver seems to crash and get stuck in an infinite loop of crashing -> driver recovering -> crashing when I play full screen .avi

edit for specs: 5870
Phenom II 940
Gigabyte GA-MA790FX DQ6
4GB corsair RAM
 
ok well everyone can rest soundly now hopefully due to the release of the 9.12 drivers lol.

update on if the issue is fixed
 
I managed to snag a 5870 from Fry's tonight, yay!

Which brand did you get? I've had some strange issues with the Diamond one I managed to get from Fry's. When I enable AA to 2x or 4x I get these black squares flashing all over the screen, but when AA is off or at 8x everything is fine. If you got the Diamond one, can you see if yours has this problem also? I think it might be some driver issue since at 8xAA it's fine.
 
Wow this thread is blowing up... before we started this most companies were sayign they had never heard of a gray screen crash. Hopefully we get a list of possible fixes going.
 
Which brand did you get? I've had some strange issues with the Diamond one I managed to get from Fry's. When I enable AA to 2x or 4x I get these black squares flashing all over the screen, but when AA is off or at 8x everything is fine. If you got the Diamond one, can you see if yours has this problem also? I think it might be some driver issue since at 8xAA it's fine.

I always have AA set to application controlled. AA set to 4x in all my games, haven't seen any squares.

Maybe the 9.12's will fix it for you?
 
I tried the leaked 9.12s out last night with GTA4 that used to crash to the banded screen within a few seconds. It still crashed but it took about 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds. But these might not be the real 9.12s... so I guess we'll have to see when they're officially released
 
No dice. I tried the leaked Sapphire ones and while performance was increased I still get the black squares on all AA settings except off and 8x. Hopefully the official release ones from ATI are different.
 
Officials should be out tomorrow on ATi's site. For some of you still haveing issues have you tried to disable "Spread Spectrum" in your bios?
 
Officials should be out tomorrow on ATi's site. For some of you still haveing issues have you tried to disable "Spread Spectrum" in your bios?

Do you mean PCI-e Spread Spectrum? I've tried that and I didn't notice a difference.

What does seem to help is loosening up my ram timings/lowering the ram speed. I still get crashes but they're much less common.
 
Your RAM probably has errors and is going bad. Download HCI Memtest and run it overnight to check.
 
Hi guys, i thought i had a bad board when my sapphire 5850 (not clocked) was grey screening as well but these new 9.12 drivers seem a lot more stable and quicker as well.

Since yesterday i have only had 1 lockup with sound loop (frozen screen, not a grey screen) and that was in dirt 2 which is new anyway and probably needs a few bugs ironing out.

Time will tell.
 
Last edited:
Still waiting for ATi to get the official on thier site..... tick tock.... tick tock.....
 
Alright, so what causes this for most people? I just built a new computer, and it's a little fucking annoying to have it constantly either hang or crash altogether.
 
I dont know geez i am new to ati stuff this is my first ati card ever to replace my ageing 8800GT.

Things have been ok for me since 9.12 drivers, only had em on for a couple o days though so its like Ash said in the 1979 film - alien, "we're still collating", they seem better though, not 1 grey screen yet, only a few freezes with sound loop in dirt2.
 
I haven't had problems with the banded screens with 9.12 yet, but my problem with anti-aliasing still exists. When anti-aliasing is set to 2x or 4x I get black squares flickering all over the screen, but not when AA is off or at 8x. I was hoping it was a driver problem, but the 9.12s didn't fix it.
 
I'm still gettin' gray screens after the 9.12 with the hotfix. Really don't know what the fuck could be doing this. I tried adjusting my ram settings, in case that'd fix anything, but it didn't. I guess it's possible the card could be overheating, since it doesn't do it until I've been playing something for at least a few minutes...

hmm...
 
I don't rely on the auto fan control Chacranajxy, i whack it up to 50 when i am gaming, turn ur fan up high and have a game of something, if it crashes then u can rule out heat.
 
Someone on the AMD forums claims that AMD told them it is a Windows Update that causes the issue.

Has anyone tried reformatting Windows 7 x64 and NOT installing Windows Updates? (make sure to disable the auto update feature)

I almost wish I would have never switched over to ATI now. This just sucks that I cant game because of constant gray screen vertical stripe crashes. Now it sounds like 9.12 hotfix drivers still dont fix the issue.

I dont overclock at all by the way. Disabling ATI HDMI audio does not fix. Upgraded ATI VGA BIOS does not fix. Yes, I have all the latest drivers, patches, firmware, BIOSes, etc. Havent tried 9.12 yet since I have been trying to find out what other people have experienced thus far.

Not even using my new machine currently since it will even crash just browsing on the internet. Freaking ridiculous! I have been building computers for over 10 years now and never have I had issues like this. /sigh
 
I don't rely on the auto fan control Chacranajxy, i whack it up to 50 when i am gaming, turn ur fan up high and have a game of something, if it crashes then u can rule out heat.

I have read about folks water cooling their card or having 120mm fans on the front and back of the cards and they are still crashing. I highly doubt it is a heat issue. Seems like only vista/7 x64 users have the problem.
 
Im water cooled and overclocked - 1000/1300 - and this card has never broken 38c. VRM temps are usually 60c or less. Sounds like you got a bad card tbh if yours keeps crashing. I'm running Windows 7 x64 btw.
 
Back
Top